Matt Ryan contract sets new benchmark salary

Kleckineau

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Imagine the 2009 and 2010 seasons with Matt Ryan at QB.  

I would say we don't see either title game. We lost both title games not because of QB play and Ryan was not a good playoff QB earlier in his career

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Its laughable that you would rather have an injured deshaun watson or Mahomes who has a career record of 0-1 but to list David Carr and Jared Goff is absolutely ridiculous.

You do know that Ryan was the NFL MVP and has led his team to a championship game and a SB - which if his coach had any clue what he was doing, they would have won.

But yea, Id rather have Jared Goff

Matt Ryan is arguably the most overrated QB of this era. Flacco used to own that throne, but Ryan's clearly in control.

Not saying he's cowsh*t -- but Ryan is the definition of one who needs his team to elevate his play - not the other way around, like a Brady or Brees.

Matt is 33, been around since 2008 and outside of 2-3 years when the Falcons running game took off, he's been average, with a dash of good.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Matt Ryan is arguably the most overrated QB of this era. Flacco used to own that throne, but Ryan's clearly in control.

Not saying he's cowsh*t -- but Ryan is the definition of one who needs his team to elevate his play - not the other way around, like a Brady or Brees.

Matt is 33, been around since 2008 and outside of 2-3 years when the Falcons running game took off, he's been average, with a dash of good.

I wouldn’t even put Brees in that category anymore.  Those guys are the rare exception,  really, only Brady has won championships with nothing around him on offense.  People need to ignore the money these guys get and stop trying to equate it to their ranking in the hierarchy of QBs.  

I live in Atlanta. "Matty Ice" is legit, franchise QB. I hope Darnold turns out to be better, but would be happy for as good. Not his fault ATL blew the Super Bowl in any way shape or form.

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

So Cousins was the highest paid QB for, oh, about 6 weeks.

Rodgers to eclipse Ryan within a month.

Think Hackenberg’s extension he inevitably gets from Mac will eclipse the Ryan deal?

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Overrated compared to who exaclty, Brady and Rogers, one who is the GOAT and the other is a first ballot HOF?

Matt Ryan is not Aaron Rogers, but guess what, no one is.  Everyone of these guys, except for Brady, needs an offense to help them win.  Put him on the Jet teams that had Mark Sanchez and we likely win a SB.  The definition of a Franchise QB is "if given an above avg supporting cast, can the guy routinely put us in position to win 10 games every season" and Matt Ryan can do that and do it better then Matt Stafford, Cam Netwon, Carr, Dalton, etc.  

Also, I like Brees a lot, but what exactly has he elevated?  When he has a good running game and defense the saints win, when they dont have that, they finish 6-10.  Is he overrated too?

42 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I wouldn’t even put Brees in that category anymore.  Those guys are the rare exception,  really, only Brady has won championships with nothing around him on offense.  People need to ignore the money these guys get and stop trying to equate it to their ranking in the hierarchy of QBs.  

That's true, and I don't mean to insinuate that you need to have this greater than god QB to win, or that should be the standard -- I've just always felt Ryan has been painted with a gold brush for average play most of the time. He flashes but needs too much to happen in his favor to lump into those "elite" conversations.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's true, and I don't mean to insinuate that you need to have this greater than god QB to win, or that should be the standard -- I've just always felt Ryan has been painted with a gold brush for average play most of the time. He flashes but needs too much to happen in his favor to lump into those "elite" conversations.

I dont disagree that Ryan can be polarizing given he doesnt have an arm that can kill you, plays indoors (which inflates stats) and has had a tendency to choke a bit.  I just think that we as jet fans, who have had Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Mccown QB this team have no idea what how far ahead Ryan is compared to a replacement level QB.  He is far closer to Rogers in comparison then the guys behind him are to him (if that makes sense)

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

@peebag and @Jethead you homies wanna throw buttfumble icons around and not be aware of the severity of using the buttfumble icon you can come meet me at the 7-11 on the Smithtown Bypass in Ronkonkoma after work and we can hash this out like real men bros. 

i thought it was a butt sniffing icon :huh:

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I dont disagree that Ryan can be polarizing given he doesnt have an arm that can kill you, plays indoors (which inflates stats) and has had a tendency to choke a bit.  I just think that we as jet fans, who have had Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Mccown QB this team have no idea what how far ahead Ryan is compared to a replacement level QB.  He is far closer to Rogers in comparison then the guys behind him are to him (if that makes sense)

“You, over there in that alley chewing on that rat, you should take a moment to appreciate the pure excellence of this Big Mac that I forgot I purchased on Tuesday and has been sitting in a crumpled up bag shoved under the backside of my passenger seat. Relatively speaking, it is closer to a porterhouse than is your uncooked rat carcass. Behold.”

I see a lot of people poo-pooing this contract, and trying to diminish Matt Ryan's worth or trying to say that he's not a top 3 QB so he doesn't deserve the contract.

What are you suggesting the Falcon's do as an alternative? If you were the Owner/GM of the Falcons and you have a choice to extend Matt Ryan would you hard-line him on a "reasonable" contract or tell him to walk? Would you just go pick up a new QB at the QB store? 

It's crazy how Jets fans, who've been searching for a QB for 60 years, are ridiculing a contract extension for a QB for another team. I hope its a problem that we have in 5 years. It's the price of having a QB and that is paying them. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

“You, over there in that alley chewing on that rat, you should take a moment to appreciate the pure excellence of this Big Mac that I forgot I purchased on Tuesday and has been sitting in a crumpled up bag shoved under the backside of my passenger seat. Relatively speaking, it is closer to a porterhouse than is your uncooked rat carcass. Behold.”

"Hey - you in the BMW M5, guess what, that car of yours, that anyone can see is an awesome, luxury car that anyone with a brain would love to have, well its not a Ferrari, so it must suck."

Ryan is Joe Flacco without the ring. 

Makes the point again the salary caps are nothing more than a drag on salaries. Don't see Arthur Blank opening up his books to tell us how much the Falcons made. 

51 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Ryan is Joe Flacco without the ring. 

Makes the point again the salary caps are nothing more than a drag on salaries. Don't see Arthur Blank opening up his books to tell us how much the Falcons made. 

Ryan>Flacco but I respect any QB with 2 rings. Don't care how good the team was.

Some people diss Terry Bradshaw. all they do is win.

16 hours ago, adb280z said:

It would be awesome if he's worth that kind of money.

He's worth that much to the Falcons. 

5 playoff appearances this decade, an MVP season, a SB appearance, All-Pro, 4x Pro Bowler, completing 68% of his passes along with a 3-to-1 TD/INT ratio for his career....in the playoffs. 

Pay that man. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

He's worth that much to the Falcons. 

5 playoff appearances this decade, an MVP season, a SB appearance, All-Pro, 4x Pro Bowler, completing 68% of his passes along with a 3-to-1 TD/INT ratio for his career....in the playoffs. 

Pay that man. 

I was referring to Darnold, I'm hoping that he's worth that kind of money.

7 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I was referring to Darnold, I'm hoping that he's worth that kind of money.

For some reason my phone didnt show that you were responding to someone, it only showed your comment. 

If Darnold can put together a Matt Ryan career then you pay that man for sure. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Let’s extend Darnold now before the rates get too high!

Pick up the 5th year and extend him another ten at 20-24 per!

Mac would be called a genius!!!!!

please please please start repeating the last line of you posts or at least the last few words

last few words

Archived