Andy Reid - QB Whisperer

On 10/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Certainly, on a Jetsian scale, he would be great. But that is not the greatness that I am shooting for. If it is what you want, more power to you.

Keep shooting for the stars with those 1st-time HCs, Scott.  

Can't imagine how a Jets fan would ever have thumbed their nose at an excellent HC with a strong offensive track record (something we've desperately needed for decades here) merely because he had some difficulties getting over the hump on the postseason. 

Meanwhile we get the likes of Bowles and Saleh here.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, bad call on my part. Give Reid credit. He was a notorious choker in Philadelphia in crucial moments of games and in crucial games themselves, and he improved.  He used to burn times out like they were candy and he often just plain choked.

Cheap shot on my part here, but I wish he managed his family as well as he does games, now. There are skeletons in that closet as I hear it from those that know. And not just the stuff that hits the news.

"Hey my bad but Reid was still a choker and also here's a cheap shot about his family."

Wow Scott.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Credit goes to the QB that whipped his dick out while playing on one leg and likely every single painkiller that mankind has ever produced, not the fat guy on the sidelines. 

Great coach also has great QB and has won multiple championships because of it.  Story at 11.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How about now Sperm?

No, I don't stay awake at night over this regurgitation of my post 5 years later, which was plenty accurate at the time.

It's easy to play this game with a HC who had a 15-year reputation for being hyper-conservative (the trope thrown around here with every or at least every other HC we hire, is "playing not to lose") and falling short for whichever excuse most-suited him that season. The difference this time around is  him drafting - and yes, developing - a preposterously unique QB with the most gifts in the most areas.

Would Mahomes have been on this same level had we taken him instead of a ****ing safety? That's a hard argument to make, but it's no less hard to argue that Reid would have a pair of rings either, had he drafted Christian Hackenberg, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, etc. (or whomever he'd have drafted if the Jets didn't mindlessly draft Jamal Adams #6 in the country before he had a shot at Mahomes).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, I don't stay awake at night over this regurgitation of my post 5 years later, which was plenty accurate at the time.

It's easy to play this game with a HC who had a 15-year reputation for being hyper-conservative (the trope thrown around here with every or at least every other HC we hire, is "playing not to lose") and falling short for whichever excuse most-suited him that season. The difference this time around is  him drafting - and yes, developing - a preposterously unique QB with the most gifts in the most areas.

Would Mahomes have been on this same level had we taken him instead of a ****ing safety? That's a hard argument to make, but it's no less hard to argue that Reid would have a pair of rings either, had he drafted Christian Hackenberg, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, etc. (or whomever he'd have drafted if the Jets didn't mindlessly draft Jamal Adams #6 in the country before he had a shot at Mahomes).

Doubling down I see, lmao.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Reid is great.  Mahomes is also great.  Why is it so hard for people to acknowledge this?  2 guys can both be awesome at what they do.  

Reid has had success throughout his career with a multitude of QBs.  Mahomes took things to another level and its very apparent he'd be an elite QB anywhere he ended up.  Greatness like that can't be denied by circumstances. 

Pairing Reid and Mahomes together has a multiplier effect, yes, but there's also a reason why Reid kicked Alex Smith to the curb in order to hand the keys to Mahomes.  Clearly he saw something that a bunch of other GMs and HCs in the league failed to see.  The difference between Mahomes' numbers and other Reid QBs' numbers makes that pretty clear at this point.

It would sure have been nice to have one of these guys, if not both.  And they were both available when we had HC and QB needs.  Sucks.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reid is great.  Mahomes is also great.  Why is it so hard for people to acknowledge this?  2 guys can both be awesome at what they do.  Pairing them together has a multiplier effect, yes, but there's also a reason why Reid kicked Alex Smith to the curb in order to hand the keys to Mahomes.

Reid has had success throughout his career with a multitude of QBs.  Mahomes took things to another level and its very apparent he'd be an elite QB anywhere he ended up.  Greatness like that can't be denied by circumstances.  The difference between Mahomes' numbers and other Reid QBs' numbers makes that pretty clear.

It would sure have been nice to have one of these guys, if not both.  And they were both available when we had HC and QB needs.  Sucks.  

Reid even made Kevin Kolb look good.

Made Henne look halfway decent in spot duty.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reid is great.  Mahomes is also great.  Why is it so hard for people to acknowledge this?  2 guys can both be awesome at what they do.  

Reid has had success throughout his career with a multitude of QBs.  Mahomes took things to another level and its very apparent he'd be an elite QB anywhere he ended up.  Greatness like that can't be denied by circumstances. 

Pairing Reid and Mahomes together has a multiplier effect, yes, but there's also a reason why Reid kicked Alex Smith to the curb in order to hand the keys to Mahomes.  Clearly he saw something that a bunch of other GMs and HCs in the league failed to see.  The difference between Mahomes' numbers and other Reid QBs' numbers makes that pretty clear at this point.

Aside from his obvious ability to bring out the best in a QB, what amazes me about Reid is the eye and courage it took to go with Mahomes when he did in that draft. 
I think 90% of the other HC’s in the league would have said “We have Alex Smith, and he’s playing well, we don’t need to take a chance on this kid.” Not only did Andy take him, he also knew it was best to sit him for a while and let him learn and become acclimated.

It was all a Master class in how things should, and can, be done.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Aside from his obvious ability to bring out the best in a QB, what amazes me about Reid is the eye and courage it took to go with Mahomes when he did in that draft. 
I think 90% of the other HC’s in the league would have said “We have Alex Smith, and he’s playing well, we don’t need to take a chance on this kid.” Not only did Andy take him, he also knew it was best to sit him for a while and let him learn and become acclimated.

It was all a Master class in how things should, and can, be done.

Sitting Mahomes might not have been a necessity but it was certainly a decision he had the luxury to make.  Smith's contract at the time made it tough to let go of him right away so they let it ride for one more year before handing the keys to Mahomes.  Made the transition nice and smooth.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Hey my bad but Reid was still a choker and also here's a cheap shot about his family."

Wow Scott.  

Reid's turning a blind eye to his sons' travails is no secret. His penchant for taking on despicable football players with sordid backgrounds is also well known. That does not deem itself as a "cheap shot". Let's just say that his internal ethic meter does not match mine. And I am no saint. But what Reid has turned a blind eye toward is sickening to me personally. No cheap shot there, just an opinion that many other have shared. 

I congratulate him on his recognizing his weaknesses as a football coach and he has proved me wrong. But I will not be bowing to his standard of enabling his own flesh and blood and those he brings into his organization. And this, in a sport that routinely ignore thuggish behavior. But Reid seems to be the flag bearer.

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Reid's turning a blind eye to his sons' travails is no secret. His penchant for taking on despicable football players with sordid backgrounds is also well known. That does not deem itself as a "cheap shot". Let's just say that his internal ethic meter does not match mine. And I am no saint. But what Reid has turned a blind eye toward is sickening to me personally. No cheap shot there, just an opinion that many other have shared. 

I congratulate him on his recognizing his weaknesses as a football coach and he has proved me wrong. But I will not be bowing to his standard of enabling his own flesh and blood and those he brings into his organization. And this, in a sport that routinely ignore thuggish behavior. But Reid seems to be the flag bearer.

986.png

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I mean none of that was the original argument and stuff but ok.

You said originally Reid is a playoff choker and bad game manager and always would be and now he’s won 2 SBs and you’re taking about his kids.

@Barry McCockinner you broke some people with this necro lol

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

986.png

Forgive me if I do not trust a man that has a judge say to him that  "your home is a drug emporium", and advices the children to "get out" for their own well being. And then further ignores as those children spiral down in the depths of addiction. The oldest to an overdose. The youngest to where he critically injures a young girl after  previous scrapes with the law while driving while impaired.

But, he is a great coach!! Hooray NFL. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean none of that was the original argument and stuff but ok.

You said originally Reid is a playoff choker and bad game manager and always would be and now he’s won 2 SBs and you’re taking about his kids.

@Barry McCockinner you broke some people with this necro lol

I have been wrong on this site many times, and will continue to be. If you would like, I can start a youtube channel and publish those videos for public consumption admitting my sins.

Never been an Andy Reid fan, never will. Don't care how much he wins. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Forgive me if I do not trust a man that has a judge say to him that  "your home is a drug emporium", and advices the children to "get out" for their own well being. And then further ignores as those children spiral down in the depths of addiction. The oldest to an overdose. The youngest to where he critically injures a young girl after  previous scrapes with the law while driving while impaired.

mockup-db9abdb3_5000x.thumb.png.d475e574e25c447b44a5b44bec576fec.png

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This isn’t moving the goal posts. It’s changing the sport.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

This isn’t moving the goal posts. It’s changing the sport.

The sport remains football. It is me professing my disgust for a man that some regale as the "best" at his position and identifying him as your dad would call a "thug turd". Forgive me if if I am not allowed that latitude for qualification as a great coach. My personal opinion is that I will not identify someone as a great coach, if they cannot possess the quality of at least a good man. It is a personal opinion. I am not looking for others to necessarily share it. 

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The sport remains football. It is me professing my disgust for a man that some regale as the "best" at his position and identifying him as your dad would call a "thug turd". Forgive me if if I am not allowed that latitude for qualification as a great coach. My personal opinion is that I will not identify someone as a great coach, if they cannot possess the quality of at least a good man. It is a personal opinion. I am not looking for others to necessarily share it. 

You are free to your opinion as we are to opine back on it. Just seems like you’re adding criteria rather than just take the L and say “yeah, I called this one wrong and he’s improved more than most coaches do.”

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2023 at 7:27 AM, extmenace said:

This second ring makes up for all the chokes he's had prior to this win. He's probably the best HC of this generation, hes got multiple rings to prove it now. He'll likely never catch belicheck, but belicheck needed brady to be relevant. Andy Reid has been relevant with at least a half a dozen QBs. Not sure how much longer he'll be coaching for, but good for him, this last chapter has more than made up for some of his past failures. He's a special coach.

He's better than Belichick. Way better. Belichick has done NOTHING without Brady. Reid has gone to Super Bowls with different QBs (QBs he's developed, mind you).

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

You are free to your opinion as we are to opine back on it. Just seems like you’re adding criteria rather than just take the L and say “yeah, I called this one wrong and he’s improved more than most coaches do.”

In terms of record here, I am in last place on  standings Jetnation on Ws and Ls. if there is such a thing. So me taking an "L" means very little to mean. I stand by record personal statement as I would not want to have Andy Reid as a HC of the NYJ. Before, I had a much stronger basis at the time of that writing because of his failures in big spots and in team management. i did not need to crawl down the space of his own accountabilities.

To his credit, he has fixed those flaws. I believe I am allowed to also measure him by his failings as a decent parent and human. And that is truly where my issue resides with him. Character matters to me, when it is egregious as Reids. 

• More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In terms of record here, I am in last place on  standings Jetnation on Ws and Ls. if there is such a thing. So me taking an "L" means very little to mean. I stand by record personal statement as I would not want to have Andy Reid as a HC of the NYJ. Before, I had a much stronger basis at the time of that writing because of his failures in big spots and in team management. i did not need to crawl down the space of his own accountabilities.

To his credit, he has fixed those flaws. I believe I am allowed to also measure him by his failings as a decent parent and human. And that is truly where my issue resides with him. Character matters to me, when it is egregious as Reids. 

Again why do you keep insinuating that someone is trying to “disallow” you to have an opinion? Surely you know that when you put an opinion into a public space that same “freedom/right/whatever you want to call it” also covers others’ reactions to it — positive or negative.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again why do you keep insinuating that someone is trying to “disallow” you to have an opinion? Surely you know that when you put an opinion into a public place that same “freedom/right/whatever you want to call it” grants others the right to react to it positively or negatively.

You asking me to take an "L" without allowing me quantifying measure of my full basis of thought feels restrictive. I did not realize I had to measure to your standard of admitting I was wrong on Andy Reid's coaching prowess. 

Which would you rather I do:

-Write 100 times I will not disparage Andy Reid again with my opinion?

-Or write a 500 word essay on why character matters to me in my head coach equation?

You literally said to me "take the L and say yeah, I was wrong on that one". 

• More Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You asking me to take an "L" without allowing me quantifying measure of my full basis of thought feels restrictive. I did not realize I had to measure to your standard of admitting I was wrong on Andy Reid's coaching prowess. 

Which would you rather I do:

-Write 100 times I will not disparage Andy Reid again with my opinion?

-Or write a 500 word essay on why character matters to me in my head coach equation?

You literally said to me "take the L and say yeah, I was wrong on that one". 

Not what I said but Ok bud do you I guess. Nice chat.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is what I actually wrote — the “rather than” is pretty damn important although nice job editing my quote and making the “j” in “just” a capital letter to insinuate it was the beginning of the sentence. Bush league AF. 

Just seems like you’re adding criteria rather than just take the L and say “yeah, I called this one wrong and he’s improved more than most coaches do.”

• Ugh 1