Andy Reid - QB Whisperer

Andy Reid's special teams coach Dave Toub has been a name mentioned around coaching circles for a while now I know he's gotten a few interviews but no offers.  He should probably be the first name on the list this offseason if we fire Bowles.  I know everyone wants the next MccVay but the a special teams guy is an intriguing option considering you would expect they wouldn't be too heavy on one side of the ball.  He may even be able to grab a KC offensive asst. to bring in as the OC. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, Reid has done a good job with QB's but this is the thing that's so
hysterical about people's opinions on coaches.  Reid has always come up
small in the playoffs and PHI fans couldn't wait to kick him out the door 

• Upvote 1

He’s one of those HCs that will probably finally win one at some point and call it quits.  Just like Cowher, Vermiel, Dungy.  His coaching tree has been pretty successful for the most part.  Poaching the KC staff for a HC, I wouldn’t hate it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

PHI fans threw snowballs at Santa Claus.

Reid is 12th all time in playoff wins for a head coach. He now has the best QB he's ever had as a HC too. Superbowl will come if there aren't major injuries.

Reid is an offensive genius. Eric Beinemy (sp?) only has one year experience as his OC, otherwise I would consider him for HC. Unfortunately Reid is not a good game manager as stated, so always seems to underperform in the playoffs. Although he did take phi to the SB once with TO and McNabb.

I get the playoff knock to a certain extent but, he gets his teams to the playoffs and has had only 3 losing seasons out of his 19 seasons of being a HC.  Won 10 or more games 12 of 19 seasons.  He can coach an offense and the QB position as well as anyone in the league over the past 20 years.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How good has Andy Reid been working with QB's? He has gotten the best out of every QB he's been around.

• Brett Favre
  • Donovan McNabb
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Jeff Garcia
  • Mike Vick
  • Alex Smith
  • Patrick Mahomes

I think he's a lock for the hall of fame one day. He has a ring as an assistant but could very well have a ring as HC before it's all said and done.  

Anyway - if I'm the Jets I'm starting my coaching search by learning everything I can about Andy Reid and trying to understand why he has been so successful. The Chiefs may even allow an interview - not a job interview, obviously - just an interview to learn about the man and what makes him tick. I'm interviewing all the retired QB's who have worked for him and any other unemployed coaches that have worked for him to try and understand what drives that success. If nothing else maybe they can learn a few things about what it takes to be successful in the NFL. 

With or without Andy Reid, it was pretty for anybody with eyes, not named Mike Maccagnan, to see that Mahomes going to be good.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, legler82 said:

With or without Andy Reid, it was pretty for anybody with eyes, not named Mike Maccagnan, to see that Mahomes going to be good.

Easy to say now. I'm sure Bowles & company could have figured out a way to make him look like crap.

Did you happen to catch Reid sitting on the bench next to Mahomes last night? It was a point in the game where his young QB was struggling against a tough defense on the road. He helped settle him down and work through it.

You think you'd ever in a million years see Todd Bowles doing that? Bowles is on the sideline singing the O'Reilly Auto Parts jingle in his head over and over while his young QB is getting whaled by the pass rush.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Andy Reid is a poor, poor game manager. 

Remember how Rex was called a Great D coordinator? Andy Reid is a great O coordinator.

You are nuts. I would take Andy Reid here in a country minute. He would instantly become the second or third best HC in Jet history behind Ewbank and Parcells ...

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You people don’t understand how bad I wanted Matt Nagy to head coach our team before he went to the Bears.

Nagy's working miracles with Mitch T. in Chicago.  Just about every team that has recently acquired a top young QB prospect has a top tier offensive mind in place at coach...Nagy with Trubisky, Pederson with Wentz, Reid with Mahomes, McVay with Goff, etc.  We've got Bowles with Darnold.

This all probably makes you almost as sad as this...

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 8.50.21 AM.png

:D 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Nagy's working miracles with Mitch T. in Chicago.  Just about every team that has recently acquired a top young QB prospect has a top tier offensive mind in place at coach...Nagy with Trubisky, Pederson with Wentz, Reid with Mahomes, McVay with Goff, etc.  We've got Bowles with Darnold.

This all probably makes you almost as sad as this...

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 8.50.21 AM.png

:D 

LOL maaaan, all I had to do was start Kupp or Moncrief. My ass left 60-70 points on the bench.? i’m actually surprised that I came within 10 points in the end. 

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's the modern day Marty Schottenheimer

He is, both great coaches who couldn't get it done in the biggest games but always had their teams competing among the best in the league.  I hope Andy gets a SB so he can get the respect he deserves.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

I think NE has distorted what "success" looks like.

Andy Reid has been hugely successful as a HC. Would a SB ring make that more tangible? Sure, but let's not undermine how fricken hard it is to win, then win enough games to make playoffs, then win against equally talented teams, then win the big one... That's a tall order. Even Aaron Rodgers only has 1 ring on his mantle. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Again, Reid is 12th all time on the NFL playoff win list. Most of the people ahead of him are HOF coaches. The narrative that he doesn't win in the playoffs is simply false.

He's been to one SB and lost, that's what people are referring to work discussing postseason for him. Schotenheimer won a bunch of playoff games too, these guys just couldn't get over the hump and win it all

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Again, Reid is 12th all time on the NFL playoff win list. Most of the people ahead of him are HOF coaches. The narrative that he doesn't win in the playoffs is simply false.

He is 11-13 in playoffs. Again, if that makes you happy, fine. A number of those, his team was favored to go to the SB. 

If that is your level of what you want, again, fine.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is 11-13 in playoffs. Again, if that makes you happy, fine. A number of those, his team was favored to go to the SB. 

almost all coaches who routinely make playoffs hover around .500... take NE out and that's pretty average of "good HCs"... all that means is that he led teams into the playoffs that probably, talent wise, weren't good enough to go the distance. You can scheme/coach to a point, but talent will tip the scales in the playoffs as well. 

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He's been to one SB and lost, that's what people are referring to work discussing postseason for him. Schotenheimer won a bunch of playoff games too, these guys just couldn't get over the hump and win it all

The greatest coach of his generation and possibly all time has lost 3 superbowls with an all-time great quarterback. ?‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would love to have a coach that always has us in playoff and superbowl contention, yes. I'm surprised you wouldn't.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paradis said:

almost all coaches who routinely make playoffs hover around .500... take NE out and that's pretty average of "good HCs"... all that means is that he led teams into the playoffs that probably, talent wise, weren't good enough to go the distance. You can scheme/coach to point, but when talent will tip the scales in the playoffs as well. 

Oh, if you want recency, he is 1-6 in his last 7 playoff games. So there is that. 

"Great" head coaches get there, and at least win one or 2. Andy Reid has not done that. 

If that is your level of success that you want, I get it. But I would rather have someone who will win it. Or at least has  shown that he does not have a history that he can't.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The point is that a coach losing a superbowl, in and of itself, is not an indictment on his ability as a coach.

Andy Reid is 0-1 in a SB. There are many other coaches that have that same record, that would not be called great.

My indictment of Reid is that he has taken 13 teams to the playoffs, yet only has 1 appearance in the SB, and 0 wins in that game.

Nice record, but not an all time great performance in games that matter. Some may call that choking in big games. Ala Marty Schottenheimer