Andy Reid - QB Whisperer

• 11 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Here is Andy Reid in a nutshell. 2002 NFC championship game. Against Tampa Bay. Who, in their history were 1-21 in games played under 40 degrees. ONE and TWENTY-ONE! The Eagles had manhandled them in the regular season as well

It is a frigid day in Philadephia. Everything is set up for them. They promptly lose 27-10.

Only Andy Reid.

derp GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

Andy Reid - Never won a SB with several pro bowl QBs and then wins 3 SBs with a future Hall of Famer QB. 

Please post here when he wins a few playoff games with someone like Mark Sanchez. 

IT'S THE CULTURE!!!

-Bill Barnwell

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wouldn't win.

Hey, I am wrong many times on this site. I believed those sentiments as I typed them. Reid, at that time was a huge choke artist. He had better teams with Philadelphia than many of his opponents and lost a number of playoff games that his teams were favored. Some would say he choked.

Give the man credit, he learned from his mistakes. And developed a great staff around him and found the right QB. Again, I am wrong.

There are some familial issues that I feel has has failed at, that I am not a big fan of how he handled those. But that is on hime, and maybe should not be a reason to judge. But I have a hard time looking the other way. That is just me.

Now, want me to be a dick and point out times you have been wrong on this site? Or are we good here?

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Andy Reid - Never won a SB with several pro bowl QBs and then wins 3 SBs with a future Hall of Famer QB. 

Please post here when he wins a few playoff games with someone like Mark Sanchez. 

Well, but by that reasoning Bill Walsh also over rated, Jimmy Johnson over rated.  Tom Landry, over rated.

You know who is under rated?  Joe Gibbs, went to 4 Suoer Bowls, won 3 with not great QBs.  

• Upvote 1

lol

The mental gymnastics some people go to in order to not give credit where it is due.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta pick ‘em to play them pal. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

all these top HC arent as good as people make them out to be. they all have QBs. thats why when people want to fire Saleh i ask who could win more than 7 games with the  same QBs he did.?

Andy Ried: with a QB he is great but in 1999 he won 5 games and went 2-7 with Doug Peterson. in 2012 he won 4 games with a aging Michael Vick and a rookie Nick Foles. so its no for me.

Bill Belichick: No. we seen how bad he was with Mac Jones.

Sean Payton: No.  his last year in NO without Brees he went 5-2 with Jameis Winston and 0-4 with Trevor Sieman. last year he won 7 games with Russ Wilson.

but because they got lucky and had FQBs they will go down as the best HCs in history. but there not.

the best are a toss up between Bill Parcells and Mike Tomlin.

Bill Parcells: won a SB with a backup QB with the Giants. took a 1-15 Jets team to 9-7 with Neil O Donnell. then 2 years later in 1999 went 6-3 with Ray Lucas who has no business ever calling himself a QB.

Mike Tomlin: went 8-8 in 2019 with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges. won 19 games the last 2 years with Kenny Picket, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph. 

Parcells got more SB wins and Tomlin has never had a losing season. those are the 2 best IMO.

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, doitny said:

all these top HC arent as good as people make them out to be. they all have QBs. thats why when people want to fire Saleh i ask who could win more than 7 games with the  same QBs he did.?

Andy Ried: with a QB he is great but in 1999 he won 5 games and went 2-7 with Doug Peterson. in 2012 he won 4 games with a aging Michael Vick and a rookie Nick Foles. so its no for me.

Bill Belichick: No. we seen how bad he was with Mac Jones.

Sean Payton: No.  his last year in NO without Brees he went 5-2 with Jameis Winston and 0-4 with Trevor Sieman. last year he won 7 games with Russ Wilson.

but because they got lucky and had FQBs they will go down as the best HCs in history. but there not.

Bill Parcells: won a SB with a backup QB with the Giants. took a 1-15 Jets team to 9-7 with Neil O Donnell. then 2 years later in 1999 went 6-3 with Ray Lucas who has no business ever calling himself a QB.

Mike Tomlin: went 8-8 in 2019 with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges. won 19 games the last 2 years with Kenny Picket, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph. 

Parcells got more SB wins and Tomlin has never had a losing season. those are the 2 best IMO.

There you have it. Thanks for doing my homework for me. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Gotta pick ‘em to play them pal. 

True. Matt Nagy did a good job passing out the cheat sheet (playbook) to Mahomes for Andy Reid’s test and Brett Veach did a good job drafting him. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, doitny said:

Where does Joe Gibbs go on there?   Went to 2 and won one with Theismann, won a SB with the combo of Jay Schraeder and Doug Williams, then won with Mark Rypien.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, I am wrong many times on this site. I believed those sentiments as I typed them. Reid, at that time was a huge choke artist. He had better teams with Philadelphia than many of his opponents and lost a number of playoff games that his teams were favored. Some would say he choked.

Give the man credit, he learned from his mistakes. And developed a great staff around him and found the right QB. Again, I am wrong.

There are some familial issues that I feel has has failed at, that I am not a big fan of how he handled those. But that is on hime, and maybe should not be a reason to judge. But I have a hard time looking the other way. That is just me.

Now, want me to be a dick and point out times you have been wrong on this site? Or are we good here?

So many people love to say things like "player x or coach y CAN'T or WON'T EVER" win a super bowl as if it's a matter of fact. I love this thread as a cautionary tale of why that is so silly. It's true until it isn't. So you end up on the wrong end of my bumps every time Reid stacks yet another championship but the bump is really for everyone who likes to use this sort of "can't or won't ever" arguments. Nothing personal.

You might get lucky and find the one time I was wrong about something on here. Good luck pal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So many people love to say things like "player x or coach y CAN'T or WON'T EVER" win a super bowl as if it's a matter of fact. I love this thread as a cautionary tale of why that is so silly. It's true until it isn't. So you end up on the wrong end of my bumps every time Reid stacks yet another championship but the bump is really for everyone who likes to use this sort of "can't or won't ever" arguments. Nothing personal.

You might get lucky and find the one time I was wrong about something on here. Good luck pal.

Really didn't take long. But hey, it happens. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Where does Joe Gibbs go on there?   Went to 2 and won one with Theismann, won a SB with the combo of Jay Schraeder and Doug Williams, then won with Mark Rypien.

i only looked at recent guys. and living in NY the Parcells stuff came from memory.

but your right. and in that Schraeder/Williams SB year he went 3-0 with some guy named Ed Rubbert in his only NFL season. 

you have to consider him as best HC of all time with Parcells and Tomlin. 

i just looked at Parcells and he went 10-6 with Quincy Carter in Dallas. yeah Parcells has to be #1.

1 minute ago, doitny said:

i only looked at recent guys. and living in NY the Parcells stuff came from memory.

but your right. and in that Schraeder/Williams SB year he went 3-0 with some guy named Ed Rubbert in his only NFL season. 

you have to consider him as best HC of all time with Parcells and Tomlin. 

i just looked at Parcells and he went 10-6 with Quincy Carter in Dallas. yeah Parcells has to be #1.

Ed Rubbert I believe was the scab/strike year.

You can also argue it the other way.  Walsh found Montanna in the 3rd round, and knew he was the perfect QB for his system.   Steve Young was pulled off the scrap heap, and turned into HOF.

At the end of the day, a coach won't win a SB without some great players. 

• Upvote 1