Andy Reid - QB Whisperer

8 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Top 10? Easily top 5.

Yeah probably right around there, although I tend to rank guys like Parcells, Shula and Gibbs higher than most due to the fact that they won with different QBs

• Parcells won 2 Super Bowls, went to 3 Super Bowls, a third team to the AFC Championship game, and a 4th team to the playoffs all without any of the QBs being HOF Qbs
  • Gibbs win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs
  • Shula took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl, all-time wins, won 2 Super Bowls, went to 6 Super Bowls all with different QBs

My own list:

1. Vince Lombardi

2. Bill Walsh

3. Don Shula

4. Andy Reid

5. Bill Belichick

6. Bill Parcells

7. Joe Gibbs

8. Chuck Noll

9. Paul Brown

10. Tom Landry

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Meanwhile Weeb gets no respect despite winning to titles with Johnny U and then winnign the most important game in the history of the sport.

It is hard to filter because the game has been so different because of the evolvement of the game. For me, you really have to work in 10-15 year increments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Ed Rubbert I believe was the scab/strike year.

You can also argue it the other way.  Walsh found Montanna in the 3rd round, and knew he was the perfect QB for his system.   Steve Young was pulled off the scrap heap, and turned into HOF.

At the end of the day, a coach won't win a SB without some great players. 

some really good points.

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Even before the super bowls with Mahomes I think Reid made the playoffs 15-17 years.  The guy is obviously a legend

Huh?

He coached the Eagles 14 years. He made the playoffs 9 of those years. His record in the playoffs with the Eagles was 10-9. 

Before Mahomes came to the Chiefs, Reid was 1-3 in the playoffs as HC of the Chiefs.

Reid is an immortal coach at this point. Winning those SB's make it so. BUT, a case could be made that without Mahomes, he had been just ordinary in the playoffs.  Not a case I am going to make at this point, but those are the facts. 

Many here talk about Belichick's record without Tom Brady. Reid has a little of that stain too without Mahomes. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Huh?

He coached the Eagles 14 years. He made the playoffs 9 of those years. His record in the playoffs with the Eagles was 10-9. 

Before Mahomes came to the Chiefs, Reid was 1-3 in the playoffs as HC of the Chiefs.

Reid is an immortal coach at this point. Winning those SB's make it so. BUT, a case could be made that without Mahomes, he had been just ordinary in the playoffs.  Not a case I am going to make at this point, but those are the facts. 

Many here talk about Belichick's record without Tom Brady. Reid has a little of that stain too without Mahomes. 

Reid was 12th all-time in playoff wins before Mahomes ever started a playoff game for him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Reid was 12th all-time in playoff wins before Mahomes ever started a playoff game for him.

I was responding to another poster in this thread in regard to Reid's record before the Chiefs. He made a very incorrect statement. You really don't need to get your panties so twisted. 

Oh, and before Mahomes, Reid had never won a SB. In 20 years. In fact, had only even coached in one SB game. Since Mahomes, Reid has been to the SB in 4 of 7 years. Coincidence? There are no coincidences in life.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I was responding to another poster in this thread in regard to Reid's record before the Chiefs. He made a very incorrect statement. You really don't need to get your panties so twisted. 

Oh, and before Mahomes, Reid had never won a SB. In 20 years. In fact, had only even coached in one SB game. Since Mahomes, Reid has been to the SB in 4 of 7 years. Coincidence? There are no coincidences in life.

What? I was responding to your comment saying Reid was just ordinary in the playoffs before Mahomes. He was 12th all time in playoff wins before Mahomes - hardly ordinary.

Why are you talking about panties twisted? You OK?

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What? I was responding to your comment saying Reid was just ordinary in the playoffs before Mahomes. He was 12th all time in playoff wins before Mahomes - hardly ordinary.

Andy Reid has the MOST playoff losses ALL TIME in the NFL. Numbers are a funny thing if you position them to fit your agenda.

Let's look at it this way, with coaches with over 10 playoff appearances (I think that is a fair minimum, when you are talking all time records), Reid is #4 all time with a winning percentage of .619 in playoff games.

Mahomes has certainly helped him in that percentage. 

And remember, just earlier, I said Reid is now in the immortal rank. But, let's not let facts get in the way.

EDIT-And, to compare coaches of this era to coaches of all other eras based on number of wins or losses is an exercise in futility. Not apples vs apples. The league has watered down the ease of getting into the playoffs dramatically over the past 30 years. It is much, much easier to get in the playoffs, and thus compile numbers of w's an l's as compared to previous eras. 

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Reid is 26-16 in the playoffs.

Mahomes is 15-3.

11-13 without Holmes.  Those are Peyton Manning numbers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Andy Reid has the MOST playoff losses ALL TIME in the NFL. Numbers are a funny thing if you position them to fit your agenda.

Let's look at it this way, with coaches with over 10 playoff appearances (I think that is a fair minimum, when you are talking all time records), Reid is #4 all time with a winning percentage of .619 in playoff games.

Mahomes has certainly helped him in that percentage. 

And remember, just earlier, I said Reid is now in the immortal rank. But, let's not let facts get in the way.

EDIT-And, to compare coaches of this era to coaches of all other eras based on number of wins or losses is an exercise in futility. Not apples vs apples. The league has watered down the ease of getting into the playoffs dramatically over the past 30 years. It is much, much easier to get in the playoffs, and thus compile numbers of w's an l's as compared to previous eras. 

Think of a guy like Halas.  He won 5 titles, but he only coached 9 playoff games.  In 1948 10-2 and the 2nd best record in football left him 2nd in the west behind the Chicago Cardinals and no post season for Papa Bear.  Guy would have probably coached 100 playoff games with today's rules.  It's like how Mantle and Berra are losing all their playoff records because all their post-season games were the world series.  OTOH, there were only 10 teams most of that time, so I guess the odds were better.  Then again, that meant that the talent was not so watered down.  I mean there are probably an actual 10 NFL starting QBs out there, right? 

That is an extreme example, but even minor rule changes have a huge influence on how things play out.

• Post of the Week 1

"Consistent with his reputation for a focus on football details, Reid arrived at his interview with the Eagles with a five-inch thick book he developed on how he would go about running the team if given the job."

That's all you need to know.

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

"Consistent with his reputation for a focus on football details, Reid arrived at his interview with the Eagles with a five-inch thick book he developed on how he would go about running the team if given the job."

That's all you need to know.

You don't think a bunch of sh*tty coaches came well prepared and documenting their plans?  I think plenty of these blowhards come in with binders.  It's what is in them that matters. 

• Upvote 2

That Philly team was pretty bad when Reid inherited it.  He completely changed that organization's culture IMO.  I recall he had a lot of clock management issues in his early days as HC.  Mahomes, no doubt, has taken Reid to the next level, but would Mahomes have developed to what he is now under another HC?  Doubt it.

The BIGGEST mistake Woody made IMO was keeping Rex that extra year when Andy Reid was available.  I personally believe that he would have come to Jets at that time.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't think a bunch of sh*tty coaches came well prepared and documenting their plans?  I think plenty of these blowhards come in with binders.  It's what is in them that matters. 

Valid. My point (a little vague, true) was that Andy Reid focuses on details way more than other coaches and it shows.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:34 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Huh?

He only made the playoffs 9 out of 14 years with the eagles and without a great qb.  He really sucks

On 2/14/2024 at 5:31 PM, jmat321 said:

That Philly team was pretty bad when Reid inherited it.  He completely changed that organization's culture IMO.  I recall he had a lot of clock management issues in his early days as HC.  Mahomes, no doubt, has taken Reid to the next level, but would Mahomes have developed to what he is now under another HC?  Doubt it.

The BIGGEST mistake Woody made IMO was keeping Rex that extra year when Andy Reid was available.  I personally believe that he would have come to Jets at that time.  

The eagles were a trainwreck disaster when Reid got there.  As was KC.  The guy is ahead of Belichick on the all time coaching list and it should not really be a discussion 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:14 AM, JetsFanatic said:

Too bad his teams flame out in the post season.

I wish our Jets flamed out as much as Andy's teams.  How many Superbowls has he coached in?  How many has he won?  I forget, when was the last time we won a championship game and advanced to the big game? 

How many division titles has Andy won?  How many have we won?  Over the last dozen years how many times have we been to the playoffs?

How many times has Andy been to the playoffs in the last 12 years?

I could go on and on, about winning seasons, getting the most out of your quarterbacks, etc,.  but I'll get even more depressed.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I wish our Jets flamed out as much as Andy's teams.  How many Superbowls has be coached in?  How many has he won?  I forget, when was the last time we won a championship game and advanced to the big game? 

How many division titles has Andy won?  How many have we won?  Over the last dozen years how many times have we been to the playoffs?

I could go on and on, about winning seasons, getting the most out of your quarterbacks, etc,.  but I'll get even more depressed.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:20 AM, PFSIKH said:

Reid is 26-16 in the playoffs.

Mahomes is 15-3.

11-13 without Holmes.  Those are Peyton Manning numbers.

This was posted in 2018. To that point Reid’s teams were always in the playoffs but never won the Super Bowl. Obviously once he hooked up with Mahomes things changed.  Please see @PFSIKH post I also quoted.

22 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This was posted in 2018. To that point Reid’s teams were always in the playoffs but never won the Super Bowl. Obviously once he hooked up with Mahomes things changed.  Please see @PFSIKH post I also quoted.

Meanwhile Belichick who the media has called the GOAT constantly for 20 years hasn’t even won a playoff game without Brady since 1994

52 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I wish our Jets flamed out as much as Andy's teams.  How many Superbowls has be coached in?  How many has he won?  I forget, when was the last time we won a championship game and advanced to the big game? 

We haven’t been in a playoff game in 15 years yet Andy Reid sucks because he didn’t win a Super Bowl until Mahomes who he developed 

On 2/14/2024 at 11:31 AM, jmat321 said:

RexIsComingBack.gif.8801d87ff3bb5035f6d2f0b5594cc0c3.gif

On 2/14/2024 at 11:31 AM, jmat321 said:

Andy Reid would've resigned as HC of the NYJ on a Burger King napkin.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We haven’t been in a playoff game in 15 years yet Andy Reid sucks because he didn’t win a Super Bowl until Mahomes who he developed 

You are in the JN HOF based upon compiling a greatest percentage of misinformation/garbage per post than anybody else on this board. Congratulations!!!

On 10/2/2018 at 5:13 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

How good has Andy Reid been working with QB's? He has gotten the best out of every QB he's been around.

• Brett Favre
  • Donovan McNabb
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Jeff Garcia
  • Mike Vick
  • Alex Smith
  • Patrick Mahomes

I think he's a lock for the hall of fame one day. He has a ring as an assistant but could very well have a ring as HC before it's all said and done.  

Anyway - if I'm the Jets I'm starting my coaching search by learning everything I can about Andy Reid and trying to understand why he has been so successful. The Chiefs may even allow an interview - not a job interview, obviously - just an interview to learn about the man and what makes him tick. I'm interviewing all the retired QB's who have worked for him and any other unemployed coaches that have worked for him to try and understand what drives that success. If nothing else maybe they can learn a few things about what it takes to be successful in the NFL. 

He just calls plays designed for the personnel he has, it's not that hard of a concept. Hard to do well but not hard to try.

What hackett and the long line of failures before him have done is try to fit whatever roster they have into their system. 

It's helps to have really good players but you saw this year rookie QBs and other maybe not all star roster put up points by simply trying to make a system designed for their roster. 

I much rather lose that way than what we did and have done for what seems like forever. Just asking out guys to do whatever stupid gold zone play packages.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, talonmm said:

Right, I much rather have a well coached team that had good game plans that made use of ur roster strengths...sure you can lose but your putting yourself in the highest chance to win, that's the whole point.

The games we didn't run hall as the feature role was stupid. Sure we could have won with the other game plan but not as good chances.

The super bowl was perfect example of too actual good teams and when it was all on the line one coach went away from their best player (McCaffrey) and one stuck with theirs (maholmes). Coaching cost the 49ers.