Jamal Adams- "Losing culture still here" PFT article

Barkus

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Like I said, In run support, yeah. I wouldn’t put any safety as any better.  And tbh, in coverage he’s gotten better not to mention the pass rush sucks so who knows how good he could be if he was actually on a top 5 talent defense. 

Haha, guess I can't agree with that particular comparison, Troy always played with reckless abandonment, a force all over the field who refused to take a play off.  Off the field and demeanor on it after a play, polar opposites.  I don't see any of this....yet.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Adams play, his outgoing and vocal manner, every team needs a Jamal Adams, but he just doesn't know when to STFU.   I don't think he's a unifier when things are going wrong, he fuels the fire.

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Haha, guess I can't agree with that particular comparison, Troy always played with reckless abandonment, a force all over the field who refused to take a play off.  Off the field and demeanor on it after a play, polar opposites.  I don't see any of this....yet.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Adams play, his outgoing and vocal manner, every team needs a Jamal Adams, but he just doesn't know when to STFU.   I don't think he's a unifier when things are going wrong, he fuels the fire.

I hate straw man arguments. 

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Competent coaches want nothing to do with this roster.

It will work itself out in a couple months.  I remain optimistic.  

Whofans would be a better coach than Bowles.  His passion may be misguided but at least its passion.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Amazing, pathetic, sad, depressing.  Good words to use.

The Jets best players play ILB and SS.  Talk about a winning formula.  You'd think we're building around Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, we just need our Haloti Ngata and wham!!!  Best D in the league. 

If Rex was coaching this team, it would be a very good defense...maybe top 5. The players are talented enough, but with bowles/rodgers they have no chance. Which is why Bowles is a total failure as a coach. I would understand if the offense struggled since we have kind of neglected the offense in the draft, but the defense has tons of high picks and free agents. It should be getting the job done every single week. Instead we get a great performance against the Fish and then a no-show against the Bills. That tells me all i need to know. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Rex was coaching this team, it would be a very good defense...maybe top 5. The players are talented enough, but with bowles/rodgers they have no chance. Which is why Bowles is a total failure as a coach. I would understand if the offense struggled since we have kind of neglected the offense in the draft, but the defense has tons of high picks and free agents. It should be getting the job done every single week. Instead we get a great performance against the Fish and then a no-show against the Bills. That tells me all i need to know. 

The fact that they can put together a great performance shows that there is talent there. The fact that they can't sustain it shows inconsistency

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Going to miss posts like this when competent coaches come in next year and have basically the same roster competing for the playoffs.

Yes.  The Jets will have the exact same roster after 100 mil in cap space, the draft and the fact the Jets have the least amount of players signed for 2019 than anyone else in the league.

Pac, you're takes, they're gooood. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hahaha.  Chill out Jamal fanboy.  My post was 100 % accurate.  He talks too much, especially to the media.  He's a good player.  And it was a bad pick. 

Maybe if he could cover somebody it would have been a good pick, and his constant talking via social media or the press would be justified.  But as a box safety, he really can't turn losses into wins.  We're 8-17 since he was drafted and he is our supposed best player and leader.  And his shortcomings as both player and leader play a role in that. 

It's cool that he's trying and hasn't quit on the coach.  The next coach will like him.  But he doesn't move the needle for the franchise.  He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best player on this defense.  Obviously that part is Macc's fault, not Jamal's. 

He is an All Star Safety that lines up in every position and plays every position and does them all well... Does he get caught in coverage trying to catch up... Yes... but he is also the highest rated defenseman in this backfield and the best player on the team... He was a great pick and people like you on the board trash the kid when he is by far the best player on the field... Just watch or read any analysis of how he plays and what he dissects on every play... Just because you lack the football knowledge to understand how good of a player he actually is doesn't mean he was a terrible pick it means that you are not football savvy enough to understand the complexities of the position he plays as a sophomore in the NFL and the impact he has on nearly every play.... GOOD AND BAD

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  The Jets will have the exact same roster after 100 mil in cap space, the draft and the fact the Jets have the least amount of players signed for 2019 than anyone else in the league.

Pac, you're takes, they're gooood. 

So you acknowledge the rebuild is in full effect.

Thanks for playing.

Just now, Pac said:

So you acknowledge the rebuild is in full effect.

Thanks for playing.

What are we playing?  The game of contradictions.  You just said we'd have the same roster as next year and you're claiming it's rebuild?  BTW, I love those rebuilds 5 years in.  They're the very best kind. 

2 hours ago, GangGreenDover said:

If Funchess Garbage then you must not know what our current WRs are and Earl Thomas is a flat out baller Nd not tht old would be a good veteran presence 

Barr is nowhere as near tanleted as Lawrence 

You might be right about don’t kno too much about his attitude 

Bell is a must get no matter what

You can't just sign garbage WRs because the ones they currently have are worse... That's been Mac's Strategy so far and you see where that has left the Jets... Funchess will be overpaid and barely heard from again... Hopefully not by the Jets... Brown is a Baller and needs to be signed. Allison is a very good WR and played with Rodgers... Keep Enuwa and Robbie and draft a couple. WR done...

Barr is very talented and a game changer and a leader... He has regressed slightly this year but is not the nut case that lawrence is... I would be happy with Lawrence but in such a fragile locker room it could be a determent like fowler.

Sure Bell is great but 17+ Mill a year great?

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

What are we playing?  The game of contradictions.  You just said we'd have the same roster as next year and you're claiming it's rebuild?  BTW, I love those rebuilds 5 years in.  They're the very best kind. 

I said basically the same roster.  The D wont have a lot of turnover..  offense will add some pieces but this isn't going to be a brand new team.  Many of the guys on the current roster will be here when a competent coach arrives.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

He is an All Star Safety that lines up in every position and plays every position and does them all well... Does he get caught in coverage trying to catch up... Yes... but he is also the highest rated defenseman in this backfield and the best player on the team... He was a great pick and people like you on the board trash the kid when he is by far the best player on the field... Just watch or read any analysis of how he plays and what he dissects on every play... Just because you lack the football knowledge to understand how good of a player he actually is doesn't mean he was a terrible pick it means that you are not football savvy enough to understand the complexities of the position he plays as a sophomore in the NFL and the impact he has on nearly every play.... GOOD AND BAD

All-Star Safety?  Has he been named to the Pro Bowl and I missed it?  If he wants to get there he needs to cause some turnovers from time to time. 

Plays every position?  Does that include Corner?  If he could play corner that would be great.  As it stands I don't think you can even make the case he plays the traditional Free Safety role particularly well. 

Best player on the team.....that doesn't say much.  The 2nd best player is either Avery Williamson or Sam Darnold. 

Not a great pick.  Not at all.  You can't build a defense around a box safety.  Not in 2018. 

I'm not a savvy football analyst.  That I'll admit for sure.  But I have some understanding of position value.  Mike Maccagnan evidently does not.  He apparently thinks all BPA's are made equal. 

Sure, maybe I'm punishing the kid too harshly.  He didn't asked to be taken Top 10 by a team this sh*tty.  But the more he whines to the media, the more annoying he gets.  He doesn't make nearly the impact that he or people like you say he does.  He's a strong tackler and has good football instincts.  But until he becomes a ballhawk, he'll continue to be overrated and not at all the type of player you can build a defense around. 

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

OH that is wrong. He is one of the best safeties in the NFL. PFF thinks so and so does the general analysts.

The hatred Jamal Adams gets here is unbelievable.

it is mostly because of his mouth.  And I dont care what PFF says. I care what I think. I dont hate the way he plays. I just cannot stand his mouth

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I said basically the same roster.  The D wont have a lot of turnover..  offense will add some pieces but this isn't going to be a brand new team.  Many of the guys on the current roster will be here when a competent coach arrives.

So, back to the same roster and not a rebuild?

Anyway the wind blows, doesnt really matter...

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

Like I said, In run support, yeah. I wouldn’t put any safety as any better.  And tbh, in coverage he’s gotten better not to mention the pass rush sucks so who knows how good he could be if he was actually on a top 5 talent defense. 

Troy actually caught INTs, though

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

You must hate 80+% of the discussion on this board then.

Doubt many in the sports world would compare Adams to Troy, and their style of play.  Doesn’t mean Adams does not have the potential to be great.  

I wasn’t comparing the two. I said Adams vs the run is playing at an elite level. That would mean as strong as any of the greats, including Palamalu or whoever. 

20 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Palamalu is pretty much the gold standard for Strong Safeties. He is obv a HOFer who played on elite defenses/elite teams with an elite DC. Adams would still have miles and miles to go to even come close to being in his class. Palamalu had an entire career of playing at an elite level all around game. Adams has had one year along with a decent rookie season playing at an elite level vs the run on sh*t teams. As a rookie he was vulnerable vs the pass but seems to be improving in that regard. He’s definitely one of the Jets best players whom they need to keep and build around. Most likely, if he stays with the Jets, his potential to be truly great will most likely be compromised bc the Jets are a sh*t organization...vs say the teams Palamalu was around with the Steelers during his career.

41 minutes ago, jack48 said:

In spectacular fashion....diving catches, leaping catches, there is a reason he was nicknamed the Tasmanian Devil.

Adams was fortunate to play at LSU with all that great defensive talent around him, Troy Polamalu and Carson played under the worst coaching staff in USC history, they only had Pete for their final year.  Troy was making plays the moment he started on a poorly coached team.

Archived