Jamal Adams- "Losing culture still here" PFT article

Barkus

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Palamalu is pretty much the gold standard for Strong Safeties. He is obv a HOFer who played on elite defenses/elite teams with an elite DC. Adams would still have miles and miles to go to even come close to being in his class. Palamalu had an entire career of playing at an elite level all around game. Adams has had one year along with a decent rookie season playing at an elite level vs the run on sh*t teams. As a rookie he was vulnerable vs the pass but seems to be improving in that regard. He’s definitely one of the Jets best players whom they need to keep and build around. Most likely, if he stays with the Jets, his potential to be truly great will most likely be compromised bc the Jets are a sh*t organization...vs say the teams Palamalu was around with the Steelers during his career.

Steelers built around Mean Joe Greene. Cowboys built around Bob Lily. Giants built around Lawrence Taylor. Vikings built around Alan Page. Bills built around Bruce Smith etc etc etc 

Jets build around Jamaal Adams, a safety SMH ??‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I highly doubt that. 

playmaking talent like Mahomes has around him greatly increases his stats.  He has a treasure trove, and a great ofensive mind designing and calling plays.   Bowles would gert his wins there.  But he would still make asinine challenges, manage the clock poorly, and make bad in game tactical decisions

Jamal was the wrong pick for the Jets. You take a defender like Jamal at #6 if you already have a QB and a pass rusher and an offensive playmaker

He talks too much and he tweets too much

he's the best player on the team it's not even close

He plays with effort, hustle and heart

he's universally respected all around the NFL

calling him a box safety that can't cover is simply ignorant

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Palamalu is pretty much the gold standard for Strong Safeties. He is obv a HOFer who played on elite defenses/elite teams with an elite DC. Adams would still have miles and miles to go to even come close to being in his class. Palamalu had an entire career of playing at an elite level all around game. Adams has had one year along with a decent rookie season playing at an elite level vs the run on sh*t teams. As a rookie he was vulnerable vs the pass but seems to be improving in that regard. He’s definitely one of the Jets best players whom they need to keep and build around. Most likely, if he stays with the Jets, his potential to be truly great will most likely be compromised bc the Jets are a sh*t organization...vs say the teams Palamalu was around with the Steelers during his career.

Palamalu was an insane athlete.

Also for reference:

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Steelers built around Mean Joe Greene. Cowboys built around Bob Lily. Giants built around Lawrence Taylor. Vikings built around Alan Page. Bills built around Bruce Smith etc etc etc 

Jets build around Jamaal Adams, a safety SMH ??‍♂️ 

90% of those guys wouldn't be able to play in todays NFL, the game has changed drastically.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

playmaking talent like Mahomes has around him greatly increases his stats.  He has a treasure trove, and a great ofensive mind designing and calling plays.   Bowles would gert his wins there.  But he would still make asinine challenges, manage the clock poorly, and make bad in game tactical decisions

They'd probably still have Alex Smith starting at QB.

Jamal Adams discussions are great because it really shows you which Jets fans watch teams other than the Jets and which don’t. Because when you watch other teams, and other safeties, you realize that Jamal Adams is just a guy. Landon Collins is wildly overrated, can’t really cover, and he’s still a hundred times better than Jamal. Saying a safety is great when his one skill is shooting the B gap on draw plays is like saying your point guard is great because he throws nice bounce passes. Like, it’s a basic part of the job. 

On 11/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Bowles is spineless and he can’t lead a team. Our 22 year old Safety does more than the coaches to ralley guys together.

thats an issue all in itself, no wonder they gave up on him before they even left the tunnel.

The real issue is why ownership allows this to happen...they do absolutely nothing to rectify anything. This coach is a complete disgrace to the origination and the fans. To allow him to step out on the field for at least 6 more NY Jet games is unfathomable. It is a slap in all of our faces and a do not care attitude for the people who pay their salaries. If you own a team in the NFL there should be rules for you to follow,, to improve the team and to do your best to assure your fans you are. The owners of this team have no real attention to this team or the fans. They should be made to sell the team to someone who cares... send someone over to England to make our owner and offer,, I'm sure he is too busy with other issues to care...

4 minutes ago, GaryM said:

The real issue is why ownership allows this to happen...they do absolutely nothing to rectify anything. This coach is a complete disgrace to the origination and the fans. To allow him to step out on the field for at least 6 more NY Jet games is unfathomable. It is a slap in all of our faces and a do not care attitude for the people who pay their salaries. If you own a team in the NFL there should be rules for you to follow,, to improve the team and to do your best to assure your fans you are. The owners of this team have no real attention to this team or the fans. They should be made to sell the team to someone who cares... send someone over to England to make our owner and offer,, I'm sure he is too busy with other issues to care...

He isn’t doing Bowles any favors either. We play the Patriots twice, Green Bay, Titans, Houston and then our last Buffalo game(IN Buffalo) 

he’s not going to win another game all year. I don’t understand the point in keeping him.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He isn’t doing Bowles any favors either. We play the Patriots twice, Green Bay, Titans, Houston and then our last Buffalo game(IN Buffalo) 

he’s not going to win another game all year. I don’t understand the point in keeping him.

Bowles is still allegedly highly respected in league circles, so it’d be a mistake to embarrass him on the way out the door. You only knife a coach at mid season if the locker room is in full revolt, which doesn’t appear to be the case. Let it play out, and let Bowles leave with some dignity so it at least appears as if the organization isn’t completely clownshoes.

Just now, ONETIMEPOSTER said:

Bowles is still allegedly highly respected in league circles, so it’d be a mistake to embarrass him on the way out the door. You only knife a coach at mid season if the locker room is in full revolt, which doesn’t appear to be the case. Let it play out, and let Bowles leave with some dignity so it at least appears as if the organization isn’t completely clownshoes.

Why  is bowles respected around the league?  Only people who do not actually watch hum coach the last 3 years would have respect for him.

The worry about embarrassing a guy you are going to fire in the list of things to worry about is VERY low.

Why should he leave with digity?  He is awful and has brought much of this in himself.  Sorry I feel more sorrow for the thousands of people just layed off from their jobs each day for reasons not of their doing than some guy who has failed in a job that is all about accountability while making a few million.

7 minutes ago, ONETIMEPOSTER said:

What more dignity does he gain from losing the next 6 games? What more dignity can he gain from fielding an unprepared team that has officially packed it in for the year?

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why  is bowles respected around the league?  Only people who do not actually watch hum coach the last 3 years would have respect for him.

The worry about embarrassing a guy you are going to fire in the list of things to worry about is VERY low.

Why should he leave with digity?  He is awful and has brought much of this in himself.  Sorry I feel more sorrow for the thousands of people just layed off from their jobs each day for reasons not of their doing than some guy who has failed in a job that is all about accountability while making a few million.

Guys like Arians and Parcells love Bowles. He’s had a bunch of jobs working for established people. When he gets fired here, he’ll get a DC job in ten minutes. In theory, none of this matters, but in practice, it’d be ugly to drag a guy like that at mid season solely to give the fans some red meat. The Jets job is already historically trash and it’s going to be a hard sell anyway. No reason to add to the appearance of petty dysfunction 

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What more dignity does he gain from losing the next 6 games? What more dignity can he gain from fielding an unprepared team that has officially packed it in for the year?

Because there’s always a chance that they put up a performance against the Packers or Texans like the one they put together versus the Lions. I don’t think they’ve quit, per se. They just suck across the board and the league has figured it out. 

3 hours ago, ONETIMEPOSTER said:

Jamal Adams discussions are great because it really shows you which Jets fans watch teams other than the Jets and which don’t. Because when you watch other teams, and other safeties, you realize that Jamal Adams is just a guy. Landon Collins is wildly overrated, can’t really cover, and he’s still a hundred times better than Jamal. Saying a safety is great when his one skill is shooting the B gap on draw plays is like saying your point guard is great because he throws nice bounce passes. Like, it’s a basic part of the job. 

Granted the guy wasnt as good as Adams, but Rex played the James Ihedigbo (spelling?) dude a lot and he was undrafted and did a lot of the things Adams does. Couldnt cover really but played really well around the LOS.  It's just a really tough position to justify using a top 10 pick on.

Dude wants to win, he wants that second contract here and he wants to be one of the leaders of the defense when the team turns it around.  Yes, Jets way over drafted Adams, but when you are counting on one hand the guys on defense playing like they care, he's the first name in yer head.

11 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

90% of those guys wouldn't be able to play in todays NFL, the game has changed drastically.

Nonsense.  They would just play differently.  Not being hopped up on speed, crack and juice would probably tone em down a bit.  It aint like they were dudes who relied on Stick Um or mugging WRs. 

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Granted the guy wasnt as good as Adams, but Rex played the James Ihedigbo (spelling?) dude a lot and he was undrafted and did a lot of the things Adams does. Couldnt cover really but played really well around the LOS.  It's just a really tough position to justify using a top 10 pick on.

Completely agree and what’s unfortunate for Adams is that he’s made a huge impact on a sh*t defense but his draft position leaves this bad taste in fans mouths bc he’s not a complete, dominant superstar already, which I can understand. But Which sucks bc he’s probably a pro bowl caliber player but probably not an All Pro/HOF caliber player fans expect when you take a safety that early. I still think it’s unfair to Adams, who’s becoming my favorite player. My personal stance has kind of been, blame the GM/not the player. 

The Maye pick still actually bothers me more than Adams. Adams at least makes an impact on the field. Maye is literally the definition of a JAG imo. Maybe that changes over time but I think he’s also already 26 by next year.

that pick followed by the two WRs jist that one draft alone is a fireable offense alone, imo. 

and I said it at the time as did others, who? What? Why? Ok fine maybe the GM knows more than the layman fans...so let’s wait and see. Well, we’ve waited and seen that Maccagnan is as big a joke as ownership

10 hours ago, HessStation said:

Adams is a pretty insane athlete too. One ran a 4.34 and one ran a 4.33 at their pro day....But I know Palamalu is the better athlete.

I really questions this speed. I think Jamal is playing much better than last year but he still can’t run down a QB scramble. Not the end of the world but he doesn’t play faster than his 40 time at all. 

9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The Maye pick still actually bothers me more than Adams. Adams at least makes an impact on the field. Maye is literally the definition of a JAG imo. Maybe that changes over time but I think he’s also already 26 by next year.

that pick followed by the two WRs jist that one draft alone is a fireable offense alone, imo. 

and I said it at the time as did others, who? What? Why? Ok fine maybe the GM knows more than the layman fans...so let’s wait and see. Well, we’ve waited and seen that Maccagnan is as big a joke as ownership

Such an ugly, no thought out draft. The players he passed on to double up at 2 positions was odd. He loves his old rookies though. 

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really questions this speed. I think Jamal is playing much better than last year but he still can’t run down a QB scramble. Not the end of the world but he doesn’t play faster than his 40 time at all. 

To Matt’s point he’s not necessarily an elite athlete. You can just look at his vert and the fact he didn’t even try to improve upon it at his pro day. It was a questionable pick at that point in the draft but the guy can ball and is the type of player winning teams usually have on the roster. Imo. Ideally he’s a late first/early second round guy I’d agree. But now that he’s on the team, I think it’s fair to say that I like having him regardless of where he was picked. I can get over the reach since he at least makes an impact  

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Such an ugly, no thought out draft. The players he passed on to double up at 2 positions was odd. He loves his old rookies though. 

All theee of those picks were, just wait and you’ll see how smart I am, and all three were horrible picks. Well two horrible, one just plain bad

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

To Matt’s point he’s not necessarily an elite athlete. You can just look at his vert and the fact he didn’t even try to improve upon it at his pro day. It was a questionable pick at that point in the draft but the guy can ball and is the type of player winning teams usually have on the roster. Imo. Ideally he’s a late first/early second round guy I’d agree. But now that he’s on the team, I think it’s fair to say that I like having him regardless of where he was picked. I can get over the reach since he at least makes an impact  

I completely agree. I’ve always said “hate the pick, not the player”. He’s a great guy that actually cares. 

Archived