Jamal Adams- "Losing culture still here" PFT article

Barkus

17 hours ago, HessStation said:

Palamalu is pretty much the gold standard for Strong Safeties. He is obv a HOFer who played on elite defenses/elite teams with an elite DC. Adams would still have miles and miles to go to even come close to being in his class. Palamalu had an entire career of playing at an elite level all around game. Adams has had one year along with a decent rookie season playing at an elite level vs the run on sh*t teams. As a rookie he was vulnerable vs the pass but seems to be improving in that regard. He’s definitely one of the Jets best players whom they need to keep and build around. Most likely, if he stays with the Jets, his potential to be truly great will most likely be compromised bc the Jets are a sh*t organization...vs say the teams Palamalu was around with the Steelers during his career.

What's s sad about Jamall and this D is he's an extra defender vs. the run in the box and he's good at it, yet, the Jets are still 20th vs. the run in the league!  

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Completely agree and what’s unfortunate for Adams is that he’s made a huge impact on a sh*t defense but his draft position leaves this bad taste in fans mouths bc he’s not a complete, dominant superstar already, which I can understand. But Which sucks bc he’s probably a pro bowl caliber player but probably not an All Pro/HOF caliber player fans expect when you take a safety that early. I still think it’s unfair to Adams, who’s becoming my favorite player. My personal stance has kind of been, blame the GM/not the player. 

Adams is only in his second year. if we ever find a dominant pass rusher, everybody will see the real value in Adams. And the versatility.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He isn’t doing Bowles any favors either. We play the Patriots twice, Green Bay, Titans, Houston and then our last Buffalo game(IN Buffalo) 

he’s not going to win another game all year. I don’t understand the point in keeping him.

That was my favorite part about "the Jets dont have anyone to promote".  What's the worst that can happen?  They lose out?  Oh no!!!!

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Adams is only in his second year. if we ever find a dominant pass rusher, everybody will see the real value in Adams. And the versatility.

I think we don’t know what he could be considering those two factors, only his second year and the pass rush is an abomination. But what he is right now, even given those factors is still a pretty good football player w some possible limitations everyone minus a few of the elite safeties have.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

What's s sad about Jamall and this D is he's an extra defender vs. the run in the box and he's good at it, yet, the Jets are still 20th vs. the run in the league!  

Agreed just don’t think that’s an Adam’s problem. That’s a Bowles/Rodgers sh*t scheme problem along with bad surrounding talent unfortunately potentially starting w the other high pick in Williams. And I say unfortunate bc Williams seems like an awesome guy...love the astronaut commercial w his kid...

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think we don’t know what he could be considering those two factors, only his second year and the pass rush is an abomination. But what he is right now, even given those factors is still a pretty good football player w some possible limitations everyone minus a few of the elite safeties have.

I love the way he plays the game. some of the best instincts i've seen in a player. that's why we both think,[i think,lol], that when we get that pass rush, everyone will see his real value

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The Maye pick still actually bothers me more than Adams. Adams at least makes an impact on the field. Maye is literally the definition of a JAG imo. Maybe that changes over time but I think he’s also already 26 by next year.

that pick followed by the two WRs jist that one draft alone is a fireable offense alone, imo. 

and I said it at the time as did others, who? What? Why? Ok fine maybe the GM knows more than the layman fans...so let’s wait and see. Well, we’ve waited and seen that Maccagnan is as big a joke as ownership

The Maye pick made no sense because he's not a Free Safety.  He's not a coverage guy.  He never was.  He was good at playing anything in front of him toward the LOS but if he had to play going away from the LOS, he was toast.  It was a very redundant pick.  Especially with a guy like Rontez Miles on the roster, who Todd refuses to play but has been in the best safety on the team until they took Adams. 

On 11/13/2018 at 2:12 PM, MDL_JET said:

He might talk a lot but unfortunately he’s one of a handful of guys who seem to care no matter what. And we need more of that. And also falls on the coaching staff for not keeping them in it. 

Yeah he sounds like a loud mouth that is yet to make a game changing play. Definitely need more of that. 

21 hours ago, Skeptable said:

You can't just sign garbage WRs because the ones they currently have are worse... That's been Mac's Strategy so far and you see where that has left the Jets... Funchess will be overpaid and barely heard from again... Hopefully not by the Jets... Brown is a Baller and needs to be signed. Allison is a very good WR and played with Rodgers... Keep Enuwa and Robbie and draft a couple. WR done...

Barr is very talented and a game changer and a leader... He has regressed slightly this year but is not the nut case that lawrence is... I would be happy with Lawrence but in such a fragile locker room it could be a determent like fowler.

Sure Bell is great but 17+ Mill a year great?

You saying Funchess is garbage is more of an opinion than fact Dude is a Huge Radius target 

The only way to change a losing culture is by winning some games.  It doesn't change by talking about it in the offfseason.  Get a coach who motivates players, puts them in a position to succeed, develops game plans to take advantage of opponents weaknesses.  Get a GM who builds a team with playmakers at critical positions on both sides of the ball.  Get players who make plays and win games.  Culture will change.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

The only way to change a losing culture is by winning some games.  It doesn't change by talking about it in the offfseason.  Get a coach who motivates players, puts them in a position to succeed, develops game plans to take advantage of opponents weaknesses.  Get a GM who builds a team with playmakers at critical positions on both sides of the ball.  Get players who make plays and win games.  Culture will change.

What plays in the media now is talk and tweets and athletes trying to look complex. 10-15-20 years ago talk was a lot cheaper. 

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All-Star Safety?  Has he been named to the Pro Bowl and I missed it?  If he wants to get there he needs to cause some turnovers from time to time. 

Plays every position?  Does that include Corner?  If he could play corner that would be great.  As it stands I don't think you can even make the case he plays the traditional Free Safety role particularly well. 

Best player on the team.....that doesn't say much.  The 2nd best player is either Avery Williamson or Sam Darnold. 

Not a great pick.  Not at all.  You can't build a defense around a box safety.  Not in 2018. 

I'm not a savvy football analyst.  That I'll admit for sure.  But I have some understanding of position value.  Mike Maccagnan evidently does not.  He apparently thinks all BPA's are made equal. 

Sure, maybe I'm punishing the kid too harshly.  He didn't asked to be taken Top 10 by a team this sh*tty.  But the more he whines to the media, the more annoying he gets.  He doesn't make nearly the impact that he or people like you say he does.  He's a strong tackler and has good football instincts.  But until he becomes a ballhawk, he'll continue to be overrated and not at all the type of player you can build a defense around. 

He is not a Box Safety ... He actually lines up in every position except the line and plays top rating at all line-ups... Your analysis is lazy and ignorant... It's fine you hate it and obviously know more then every film watcher.  He doesn't have to create turn-overs to be an all-star... And he still does create turn-overs, its not in the stat book because he created the reason for other teammates to actually get the turn-over... Seriously you have no idea what you are talking about

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he does.  As a safety, that's almost entirely his job in the NFL in today's game to make an impact.  And there's no such thing as an NFL "all-star". 

Learn Football before you make definitive statements because that just isn't true.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I came back almost exclusively to post this info graphic showing three safeties drafted after Jamal Adams being significantly better than Jamal Adams. 

354C9AA6-6ED4-488B-8632-7442A1F93CBE.jpeg

Ha ha will probably be a free agent. Coverage safeties are > box safeties. I hate the pick so much. He’s here though and the least of our issues.

I hate how poorly this franchise in run. The Johnsons,Mac and Bowles would F*ck up running a McDonald’s.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, JiF said:

The Maye pick made no sense because he's not a Free Safety.  He's not a coverage guy.  He never was.  He was good at playing anything in front of him toward the LOS but if he had to play going away from the LOS, he was toast.  It was a very redundant pick.  Especially with a guy like Rontez Miles on the roster, who Todd refuses to play but has been in the best safety on the team until they took Adams. 

I mean, that sort of pick has to be Bowles influenced right???

I understand the Adams pick, good player, trying to change the losing culture yada yada yada. But I can’t see an offensive mind thinking in the second round “let’s double down on safeties! Forget these talented running backs” 

30 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean, that sort of pick has to be Bowles influenced right???

I understand the Adams pick, good player, trying to change the losing culture yada yada yada. But I can’t see an offensive mind thinking in the second round “let’s double down on safeties! Forget these talented running backs” 

As I was just responding in the the other thread about the Mehta interview, apparently Mac defers to the coaches often, which is what I've always suspected but if Mac plans to keep doing this, than we really do need a loud consistent offensive mind in the room. 

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Ha ha will probably be a free agent. Coverage safeties are > box safeties. I hate the pick so much. He’s here though and the least of our issues.

I hate how poorly this franchise in run. The Johnsons,Mac and Bowles would F*ck up running a McDonald’s.

That's the thing.  Better picks could have been made, safety could have been addressed later......but it wasn't.  Adams is here now and despite the graphic above I think he's playing pretty well.  Not a very good decision at #6 on a non-premium position but Adams is the least of our issues right now.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I came back almost exclusively to post this info graphic showing three safeties drafted after Jamal Adams being significantly better than Jamal Adams. 

354C9AA6-6ED4-488B-8632-7442A1F93CBE.jpeg

Hey welcome back dude! Derwin James is killing it, that guy is a playmaker. I know you were very high on him prior the draft. 

22 hours ago, Skeptable said:

He is not a Box Safety ... He actually lines up in every position except the line and plays top rating at all line-ups... Your analysis is lazy and ignorant... It's fine you hate it and obviously know more then every film watcher.  He doesn't have to create turn-overs to be an all-star... And he still does create turn-overs, its not in the stat book because he created the reason for other teammates to actually get the turn-over... Seriously you have no idea what you are talking about

No he is a box safety, or at least that is the the place he makes all his plays.  He does not create turnovers, he is improved in coverage but still not good and the coaching staff has him positioned to be  run stopper or a blitzer most of the time which is just great for the other team.

12 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Hey welcome back dude! Derwin James is killing it, that guy is a playmaker. I know you were very high on him prior the draft. 

He didnt know who Derwin was until I started chirping about him.  He was all about Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

Archived