UNFIXABLE: Lack Of Viable Ownership

SoFlaJets

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not even a question they are among the "poorest" of NFL ownership.

Forbes says the Johnsons are worth 4.5 Bil and they also say the Jets are worth 3 Bil. Ownership is ranked 30-31 in Forbes richest NFL owner list but the team is ranked 8th in total value. The best decision woody johnson ever made was to buy the Jets. If they were trying to do so today they wouldn't be rich enough. 

they have investments to be sure, but (just guessing) the bulk of the Johnson's non-NFL revenue is tied into real estate, not liquid. they aren't "poor" or "cheap" but they are cash poor compared to other owners and they'd rather spend the money on themselves. They live like royalty or 50 cent.

People don't realize what the 17 mil in unspent cap goes, that's where it goes. toward the Harrod's bill. The last band-aid money was 5 decades ago. the Johnsons use this team as a piggy bank they don't want to pay 4 mil just to fire Bowles a year early.  

The Jets are top 10 in revenue almost every year, win, lose or draw.   They are extremely profitable.  The Johnson’s wealth actually grows exponentially every year.  There is little incentive to win for them.   It’s not a good investment to win, the required spending does not equate to the return they would receive.   They trail the Giants, who are #3 in the league, by roughly $45 million in revenue.  To close that gap would probably require way more than a $50 million investment to do so.  At the end of the day, the Jets are a cash cow for the Johnsons, whether they win 3 games a year or 11, it’s roughly the same amount of profit.  

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets are top 10 in revenue almost every year, win, lose or draw.   They are extremely profitable.  The Johnson’s wealth actually grows exponentially every year.  There is little incentive to win for them.   It’s not a good investment to win, the required spending does not equate to the return they would receive.   They trail the Giants, who are #3 in the league, by roughly $45 million in revenue.  To close that gap would probably require way more than a $50 million investment to do so.  At the end of the day, the Jets are a cash cow for the Johnsons, whether they win 3 games a year or 11, it’s roughly the same amount of profit.  

There is none, peroid. Woody told us fools this years ago, when he said that he would rather have a certain person get elected President in 2012 than the Jets win a Super Bowl. That's pretty blunt.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Long term debt service obligations on the AC Unit precludes that. They're locked into this stadium for a very long time. 

London not happening.  Maybe the jets play there once per season which I wouldn’t mind it would be cool to see a game there

28 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Those fans giving up on the Jets after suffering decades of misery, will come back. It’s the nature. You get Divya Ted but you always want them to do good and once they are good, you come crying for them. Kinda like the ex wife that all of a sudden dropped a few inches of the waist and is now smoking hot again. 

They can go root for the giants who have their own version of Todd Bowles in Pat Shurmur 

Twenty years doing this and these owners still can't "lower" themselves down to the level that it takes to hang out at NFL events where people get to meet prospective coaches and GM's, these ppl would rather have somebody else do the work for them, they don't like to work just like the guy who Woody works for now, he's so busy doing nothing, they'd rather spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to schmooze with people of their own stripe.

The NFL is like a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business-there ARE no secrets here, thus everybody knows that the thought of going to work for clueless rich kids is laughable. I actually saw Bill Cowher laugh in the face of the guy who asked him about possibly coaching the Jets.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

It's impossible for me to quit on this team.  I've invested 40+ years of tears, elevated blood pressure, and a battered liver, and I want what's coming to me!  I'll be damned if some newbie fan gets to finally reap the rewards of a successful run and a Super Bowl win without me! :cheers:

Sunk costs should never drive future investment decisions.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think that’s a cop out argument.  “We can’t fire our current crappy GM and Coach because ownership might hire someone even crappier”

This regime is 13-31 since benching Chris Ivory week 17 in 2015 and will be 13-36 by end of this season with a roster trending lower.  It doesn’t get any worse than that

Both Macagnan and Bowles need to be fired on Black Monday

I'll one up you.

There's no reason to wait until that Monday to fire Mac. Start your GM search NOW. Get someone in place, and let that person begin their coaching search early. It shouldn't wait. There isn't a single logical reason to do so. Be prepared to hire a coach within a week or two of that Monday. And there's a ton of other work to do for the GM. Coaching staff, roster evaluation, draft prep. Waiting is simply a recipe for more failure.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

IF the NY Jets move to London I officially resign as lifelong diehard fan. 

joewilly12

Oh absolutely.  Many of us can remember our parents friends who were Dodgers fans. 

I then saw a documentary on how fast and clandestine like , the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

I was too young to understand why parents would still be Dodgers fans BUT I can tell you that if the JETS moved anywhere, I would turn my back on them forever.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

It's impossible for me to quit on this team.  I've invested 40+ years of tears, elevated blood pressure, and a battered liver, and I want what's coming to me!  I'll be damned if some newbie fan gets to finally reap the rewards of a successful run and a Super Bowl win without me! :cheers:

Will that fit on a tombstone??? :)

This is the elephant in the room 

What happened to the historically awesome coaching staff from 1998? 

Why? 

Nobody wants to work for a twit 

We aren't getting a football czar, sorry 

We aren't getting the hot head coaching candidate, sorry 

Not getting any hot coordinators either 

Gms and coaches have agents 

They plot their career trajectory 

The Jets are not a launching pad its a swamp of suck 

That's why we get scraps every 4 years 

Jeremy bates was the best we could get! 

Ha! 

I have accepted that the Jets are television programming content 

If you think of it as finally getting that guy that will take the Jets all the way you will drive yourself nuts 

59 minutes ago, Larz said:

Why? 

Ha! 

If you think of it as finally getting that guy that will take the Jets all the way you will drive yourself nuts 

What ever you think of Parcells, he fled here at light speed despite being given the keys to the executive suite here in his own backyard with the chance to stick it to the Giants. And choose instead to take 2 different jobs in Dallas and Miami. There's something very wrong with this ownership that competent serious football people do not want to work here. 

23 minutes ago, Bugg said:

What ever you think of Parcells, he fled here at light speed despite being given the keys to the executive suite here in his own backyard with the chance to stick it to the Giants. And choose instead to take 2 different jobs in Dallas and Miami. There's something very wrong with this ownership that competent serious football people do not want to work here. 

Woody was brand new, his last experience with a new owner was Kraft which didn't go well.  Let's not leave out key information.

By the way, he left coaching after 1999 season and stayed on in front office role for a full year so to say he fled at light speed isn't fair.

Parcells was never happy in one place, he tried to leave the Giants after the 1986 season as he had a deal with Atlanta but Giants wouldn't let him out of contract.  He left after second SB, he left NE after reaching SB.  He didn't want to come back to us after 1998 but felt he owed it to hess as hess was on his deathbed

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Why? 

Ha! 

Historically awesome? 2 good coaches came from that staff- Parcells who tried to leave after 1998 and belichick who could only win with the greatest QB of all time and who left us because of Parcells.

After a crash, Woody climbs up the cliff back onto the road and then wildly over-corrects and careens over the other side of the road. Classic sign of an amateur. So from big mouth Rex to barely-alive Bowles, if the pattern holds I expect our next HC to be Yosemite Sam.

8 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I'll one up you.

There's no reason to wait until that Monday to fire Mac. Start your GM search NOW. Get someone in place, and let that person begin their coaching search early. It shouldn't wait. There isn't a single logical reason to do so. Be prepared to hire a coach within a week or two of that Monday. And there's a ton of other work to do for the GM. Coaching staff, roster evaluation, draft prep. Waiting is simply a recipe for more failure.

The problem is there is no GM search.  Macagnan is entrenched here at least for three more losing seasons

Maybe Woody has a stroke by 2022 and we can finally move on from Macagnan and whatever dud Head Coach he replaces Bowles with

Archived