Robby Anderson doesn't want the RFA tag

Sperm Edwards

I WANT to play LB in the NFL.

The fact that I am 50 years old, weigh 170 pounds and stand 5'8'' keeps me from doing so.

Robby can WANT all he wants.  If he starts talking 5-6 years at a VERY reasonable price.  Does he make teams respect the deep ball?  Yes.  Does he offer much more than that? 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

How much does Tyreek Hill weigh?  Brandin Cooks? 

I'll stop you right there.  Hill and Cooks are 5-10.  Anderson is 6-3.  

It's not acceptable for a WR to be that tall and be that much of a stick figure.  Anderson needs to hit the weights and get himself up to 170, at minimum.  Then maybe we can talk about a long-term extension. 

At his current weight, he's a constant injury risk.  And he's also not a WR1, even if he has WR1 height. 

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll stop you right there.  Hill and Cooks are 5-10.  Anderson is 6-3.  

It's not acceptable for a WR to be that tall and be that much of a stick figure.  Anderson needs to hit the weights and get himself up to 170, at minimum.  Then maybe we can talk about a long-term extension. 

At his current weight, he's a constant injury risk.  And he's also not a WR1, even if he has WR1 height. 

You were serious?  Ha.

1.  He has already produced in the NFL at a rate that would warrant a $5-8M contract minimum.  Check the contracts going around.   

2. He weighed around 190 lbs coming out  I believe he weighed in at 187 at is pro day.  Your ridiculous 155 was so off that I thought it was a joke or exaggeration.  His rookie year he said he played at 170 ( I think many of these guys lose weight their first camp) and he came in at 180+ for last season.  

3. Who gives a **** if he is a WR1?  Teams carry at least 4 WR.  Do you think we will have 4 better next year?  Teams carry 53 players.  The goal is to put the best 53 on roster.  You don't wait and only sign #1 WR talent.  You figure out what he is worth to you and you try to get a bargain.  That is what you do while you have control.  You don't wait until he is an UFA and decide you need him back. WR1 get $15-18M.  Even on extensions they are getting $14+M. Nobody is advocating near that for Anderson. 

4. You think he is an injury risk?  Because he is light? He is in his 3rd year and none of his injuries have been related to not holding up.  Maybe you should worry about guys that actually have injury problems - like Enunwa who we are also probably going to have to pay.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nobody worth the money is going to sign with us, so we might as well pay the guy that's guaranteed to mail it in as soon as he gets paid? That's your angle here?

I don't know how you identify how one is more likely than another, as sympathetic as I am towards pessimism in Robby's character.

At least with Robby coming off a down season he could have a lower base plus incentives that we wouldn't get away with if he's coming off another 1000-yard season. 

Look at the available FAs and let me know which ones aren't guaranteed to mail it in. 

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The time is now to change all that learn from our mistakes and move on in a forward way not repeating mistakes we have made time and time again over the years the reason we are who we are. 

New GM new HC and a new owner might help. 

OK when you get back down to earth and realize we're not getting 2 of those 3 then make decisions based on what is feasible not what you really truly want. You really think Robby Anderson getting an extension gets me weak in the knees? 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have 100 mil on next year's cap they should be resigning players like Anderson and Enunwa at a low. 

What does Robby anderson do? He makes the defense respect the deep ball. Teams need multiple guys who can gamebreak and the Jets have exactly 1. 

Agree.  In a way the jets are fortunate the offense did a Todd Bowles this season after week 6 because the timing of Q and Robby becoming FA

3 hours ago, slats said:

No one's trading a first round pick for Leo for the right to pay him his next contract. Especially this year, with such a defense-heavy draft. It's not like the guy has been a world-beater in the pros. Teams will find their own rookie DLs and pay them rookie contracts. 

I think it's fair to question Robby's actual abilities and worth, but I agree with you that the entire offense, especially the coaching, is largely to blame for his off year. His injuries have been another problem, and another fair complaint about such a skinny dude. 

Slapping a tender on him is the right way to go unless, as @Sperm Edwards suggested, they manage to sign him below market because he's publicly asking for a long-term deal coming off a poor year. 

Sheldon got a second round pick on the last year of his rookie deal with a reputation as a headcase who had been suspended.  Leo can get a late first round pick

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would hope not to be tendered,” said Anderson. “Because I don’t want to be here for possibly just one more year. I want to be here for the long term. I feel like I worked hard. [The RFA tender] is a step up from where I’m at now. But I want to be here for the long term.

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Only in a Todd Bowles locker room does a wr with crappy stats who has had fumbling problems start publicly b-tching about his contract

Please show me: Where is he bitching? 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK when you get back down to earth and realize we're not getting 2 of those 3 then make decisions based on what is feasible not what you really truly want. You really think Robby Anderson getting an extension gets me weak in the knees? 

I don't want Robbie getting anything but traded. 

Robby Anderson does not want to receive a restricted free agent tender from the Jets this offseason

Good.  Because I don't particularly want Robby Anderson being a meaningful part of our offense next season.

We can, and should, do better than this thin and wispy one-trick-speedster at #1 or #2 WR.

If he wants league minimum to be the spot-use field-stretcher #4/#5 WR, fine.  Otherwise, look to upgrade.

Just now, Warfish said:

Good.  Because I don't particularly want Robby Anderson being a meaningful part of our offense next season.

We can, and should, do better than this thin and wispy one-trick-speedster at #1 or #2 WR.

If he wants league minimum to be the spot-use field-stretcher #4/#5 WR, fine.  Otherwise, look to upgrade.

Man, you guys are nuts.

You can look to upgrade and still sign the kid to the 2nd round tender.  They'd be stupid not to.  You want to pay the league minimum?  Have fun wishing they'd sign Brandon LaFell at mid-season.  Torrey Smith and John Brown make $5M per.  Seth ******* Roberts makes $5M.  I can't imagine that fans that have lived through the Chad Schillens era would want to dump one of the few promising players they have had at the position in years.  Don't overpay?  Certainly.  Look to improve and don't sit around satisfied that he is your starter?  Agreed.  But let him walk for nothing?  Are you guys bent? 

The question is not if he's a number one WR. The question is can he help us in the future by providing a consistent deep threat that defenses have to account for. I think the answer to that is yes. It wasn't only the Eagles that tried to trade for him. Reports were, that a few other teams inquired about him.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Man, you guys are nuts.

You can look to upgrade and still sign the kid to the 2nd round tender.  They'd be stupid not to.  You want to pay the league minimum?  Have fun wishing they'd sign Brandon LaFell at mid-season.  Torrey Smith and John Brown make $5M per.  Seth ******* Roberts makes $5M.  I can't imagine that fans that have lived through the Chad Schillens era would want to dump one of the few promising players they have had at the position in years.  Don't overpay?  Certainly.  Look to improve and don't sit around satisfied that he is your starter?  Agreed.  But let him walk for nothing?  Are you guys bent? 

Yes. They are bent

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes I was and still am. 

Your point? 

Darnold needs weapons. 

We just didn’t have anything at wr.  Im hoping upgrading at slot receiver with Tate or Beasley and Herndon getting more experience helps Sam in the weapons dept

Nice to hear he wants to stay with the Jets, long term

but even if you accept the off field drama, he is not strong enough to hold on to the football, causing fumbles and does not fight for the ball in traffic, causing interceptions

how do you value a player who is great when running down the field wide open due to his speed or a missed assignment but not very good otherwise

25 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Nice to hear he wants to stay with the Jets, long term

but even if you accept the off field drama, he is not strong enough to hold on to the football, causing fumbles and does not fight for the ball in traffic, causing interceptions

how do you value a player who is great when running down the field wide open due to his speed or a missed assignment but not very good otherwise

You don't value him at all you replace him with better players. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Man, you guys are nuts.

You’re right about this, people just don’t think logically a lot of the time or let personal bias influence things regarding his off the field stuff or his perception of failing as a top receiver. 

Robby is a de facto number one and is that simply because our other receivers other than enunwa suck. but if you actually draft a number one and Robby keeps a safety deep all game long, he has value to a team because the speed and high point catching is an elite tool on a team full of skill positions that lack them. 

The Dearth of talent up top is what is the culprit, not Robby. Yes, i wish he ran other routes better, but to want to try to get rid of him given our current roster is lunacy. 

Meanwhile, you and sperm are suggesting we lock him in at a buy low rate and the board goes into uproar about wanting to chuck him and give more reps to who? 

On 11/29/2018 at 4:25 PM, Bleedin Green said:

I can't blame him for wanting that, but he's done nothing this year to deserve an extension, unless he's willing to take one worth little more than the vet minimum, or at the very least, a deal with excessively little in guarantees.

Anderson is a near lock to get slapped with the 2nd round tender this offseason, which is actually probably the best case scenario for both parties in this situation.

Not his fault, have horrible OC. Last yr Morton was as creative as possible to get ball in his hands

On 11/29/2018 at 4:28 PM, joewilly12 said:

Trade him he's not worth the energy, effort or money required to re-sign him, easily replaced this season he has been a JAG. 

How much energy and effort will it take?  Especially given he has no real options.  Yet this is actually an issue?  

Amazing

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think this may be overly harsh. I think Anderson can be better as he matures as a player and person. I would love it if he were more prototypical but I also think his skill set is not featured by the offense. In limited targets, he's underperformed. But how much of that is because most WRs get twice the targets, at least.

Guys with his youth and speed don't grow on trees and I'd like to see him perform with a real NFL-quality OL blocking for him. Imagine an offense that seeks to throw 35 times a game and operates 5-7 yards further downfield. Then you could reasonably judge the ability and consistency of Anderson and the other WRs.

The Jets offense is prehistoric in its concepts, philosophy, and execution. It seems complicated only to the Jets offensive personnel. Everyone else has it completely figured out: run, run, pass, punt.

Anyway, Robby may be all that he's shown this year. but I think no skill player can be judged fairly with a OL that just can't protect one on one. They really need a stud OL somewhere on that line.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

I think Anderson can be better as he matures as a player and person.

As a player, I think he will do nothing but continue to regress the more the leagues sees him, gets a baering on his limited skillset and counters.  He is very limited, basicly a skinny speed guy only.  He's weak, easy to dislodge balls from or to muscle out of position on routes and worthless on anything but go route deep balls.  And even deep his only real asset is speed, no hands or route running.  As I keep saying, he's fine.....as a #3 or #4.  He's Dedric Ward, and no one thinks of Dedric Ward as an anything more than what he was, I simply cannot understand the love of this kid, and that's before I factor in his off field embarrassing incidents.

I would love it if he were more prototypical but I also think his skill set is not featured by the offense. In limited targets, he's underperformed. But how much of that is because most WRs get twice the targets, at least.

What "skill set" do you theorize he possesses that we've not seen yet? 

Guys with his youth and speed don't grow on trees and I'd like to see him perform with a real NFL-quality OL blocking for him. Imagine an offense that seeks to throw 35 times a game and operates 5-7 yards further downfield. Then you could reasonably judge the ability and consistency of Anderson and the other WRs.

Same old Jets Fan excuses we hear every day.  "We can;t judge X till we have an all pro team everywhere around him to see what he REALLY can do".  Pure fantasy, he is what he is.  We're never going to have an all pro offense around him for this supposed real fair chance everyone always wants for their guy, their guy of course being the one THEY think isn't part of why we're horrible everywhere.  Ever consider one reason we're bad is because our #2 WR is so limited?

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Whats "bent" is that we've apparently reached a time of such amazing suckitude, that Robby f'ing Anderson is now some kind of fan lol favorite.

What a sad sad day this is.  Robby f'ing Anderlols.  This team is pathetic.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You don't value him at all you replace him with better players. 

Every team carries at least 3 WRs that don't even have to provide anything on specials.  There are 32 teams and there are NOT 60 better WRs on the planet.  Therefore, he has value to your team no matter how much hyperbole and stupid veteran name recognition you favor.  It doesn't have to do with being a fan favorite or not wanting to upgrade at WR.  You guys are flapping your mouths but making zero sense.  Go rent a billboard. 

I get the concerns about fumbling, but the kid has been in the league for 3 years and has fumbled exactly 3 times.  The 2 this year were big drive killers, but he didn't fumble at all in 2017.  You know how many fumbles Dez Bryant had his first three years?  Ten.  But his is big and strong, so I guess they don't count.

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Man, you guys are nuts.

This is the only right way to play things. The Jets shouldn't rely on him to be their top receiver (one could argue they didn't do that this year either) but not tendering him and telling a young WR with three years experience "vet min or no deal" would be the dumbest thing they could do. 

Just tender the guy and let him play for his contract next year. It's what's best for everybody, both the Jets who can see if he adjusts to a new offense and contributes to Sam's development yet, and Robby who can up his price tag with a better season than this one.

Archived