Gase Fair Expectations

jetspenguin

Bowles- 2015, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Geno/Fitz at QB and they win 10 Games

Gase- 2019, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Darnold at QB.

What is a realistic win total for his first year that would convince you we hired the right guy?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CTM said:

Gase/Mac will be on the hot seat if he's under .500.  Both get canned if they win 5 or 6.

Woodys back next year isn’t he? Wonder if that comes into play if the season goes south again.

I could see both being canned together next season.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Woodys back next year isn’t he? Wonder if that comes into play if the season goes south again.

It's the most unlikely outcome tbh.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

but how many wins is fair to expect?

You keep your GM and let him pick a coach, it's year 5. 100M in cap room = they build roster of choice. 

Pats falling off, Buffalo stinks. Miami stinks

It’s not about wins for me in the short term.  This coaching decision is all about developing Darnold.  

So long as we responsibly allocate our cap and draft (haha, Macc), I expect Darnold to pass for 4,500 yards, 30 TD’s and have a 2:1 TD to INT ratio next year.  If that is accomplished, Gase will have been a good hire.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

To suggest that Woody was not at least counseled in all of this is vapid thinking.

I love my sister, but I do not put her in total charge of a billion dollar enterprise, unfettered.

I honestly dont think they get to 7 wins this year but expect them to look better both offensively and defensively which will appease a lot of fans because of the garbage we have grown accustomed to the last 7 years or so. Just the slightest sign of life and he will be given a little more rope by those that today want to hang him by his shorts. 

My expectations are the playoffs.  Everything that happens from now until the

season opener better be focused on that.  Eight years is long enough, the QB

is here and they specifically hired Gase, get it done

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It’s not about wins for me in the short term.  This coaching decision is all about developing Darnold.  

So long as we responsibly allocate our cap and draft (haha, Macc), I expect Darnold to pass for 4,500 yards, 30 TD’s and have a 2:1 TD to INT ratio next year.  If that is accomplished, Gase will have been a good hire.

Well this is why I included the cap space....Mac's choices will go a long way to determining how many wins we have. I think to some degree none of these nincompoops will prevent Sam's development but if it doesnt translate to wins then we are treading water. 

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Right, does anyone really expect this guy to pull that off?  I don't.  Sad.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

those training camp report should be pretty interesting

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

7 or 8 at minimum but we don't have enough information yet. 

9 or 10? 

exactly - not enough info.  If we go in with same roster, and just new coach (I know this will not be, but that's all we got right now) could you really expect more than 6-7 wins?  I mean really?

Now if they go get Le'Veon, or AB (sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a lil) and maybe get a Bosa?  yeah then expectations go up.

Point is, this will hopefully be a new team next year, so you have to take that into account with the new HC.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly I think playoffs are a fair expectation. His job is to coach Darnold into taking a leap and if Darnold takes a leap we could easily be a playoff team.

How he's viewed after one year will be heavily intertwined with how Darnold performs though, regardless of record.

if we get him a #1 wideout, a decent line I think we can win some games whether or not we sign Bell

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

To suggest that Woody was not at least counseled in all of this is vapid thinking.

I love my sister, but I do not put her in total charge of a billion dollar enterprise, unfettered.

Most likely.

The opportunity to hire a President of Football Operations presented itself when Woody took the ambassador position. Instead, he puts his brother in charge, a guy with even less business experience than Woody. 

The structure is this way for a reason. The Johnsons want control over the day to day. It’s just never going to change.

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

exactly - not enough info.  If we go in with same roster, and just new coach (I know this will not be, but that's all we got right now) could you really expect more than 6-7 wins?  I mean really?

Now if they go get Le'Veon, or AB (sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a lil) and maybe get a Bosa?  yeah then expectations go up.

Point is, this will hopefully be a new team next year, so you have to take that into account with the new HC.

Then why not keep Bowles?

I think they can get to 8-8 or maybe squeak out 9-7, with the right FA and draft moves. (No guarantee of those, of course.)

I think they're 1 OT, 1 G, 1 C, 1 WR, 1 DE and 1LB away from being a team that can be a threat week to week. I highly doubt they'll be able to address all of that this offseason though, so they'll still have exploitable holes.

Even at 8-8 though, I believe they'll be much more exciting to watch. I really do think Gase will do his best to keep them competitive. 

Just now, DMan77 said:

I think they can get to 8-8 or maybe squeak out 9-7, with the right FA and draft moves. (No guarantee of those, of course.)

I think they're 1 OT, 1 G, 1 C, 1 WR, 1 DE and 1LB away from being a team that can be a threat week to week. I highly doubt they'll be able to address all of that this offseason though, so they'll still have exploitable holes.

Even at 8-8 though, I believe they'll be much more exciting to watch. I really do think Gase will do his best to keep them competitive. 

I'm sure he'll do "His" best.  But there's literally NO reason to believe his best is good enough to keep them competitive.

21 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Bowles- 2015, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Geno/Fitz at QB and they win 10 Games

Gase- 2019, 1st time head coach inherits 4-12 record, last place schedule with 100 mil in cap space, Mac at GM with Darnold at QB.

What is a realistic win total for his first year that would convince you we hired the right guy?

I don't care about year 1. I want a super Bowl before he is gone. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Then why not keep Bowles?

I have always said that Bowles got screwed in 2017 and 2018.  I'm not sure BB could have won with this team!  But to me, Bowles blew it in 2015 and especially 2016!  all he had to do was beat the Bills in 2015 - couldn't do it.  In fact, they didn't even show up!  that's on the coach.

and 2016 was disgusting!  They SHOULD have fired him then.  going into rebuild mode at that point just was not fair to Bowles to be honest.

7 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

unfortunately we might be 2 CB's away from getting to 8 wins. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Most likely.

The opportunity to hire a President of Football Operations presented itself when Woody took the ambassador position. Instead, he puts his brother in charge, a guy with even less business experience than Woody. 

The structure is this way for a reason. The Johnsons want control over the day to day. It’s just never going to change.

Archived