MetLife Stadium stinks and the latest Super Bowl venues will make it look even worse

joewilly12

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, leonwashington2 said:

. A PSL is not an investment. Discretionary spending is not an investment. If you bought a PSL with the intent to flip it you are an absolute idiot. Especially seeing as it had a guaranteed terminal value of $0 (as they will eventually move out of the stadium). Do not buy sports tickets, jewelry, clothing, etc with the sole intent of flipping. it will almost certainly end up being a disappointment. 

No it's not an investment.  But if you remember, the rationalization by both the Jets and Giants in response to the original uproar over the PSL's was that it was exactly that.  They floated that it was not a fee but an "investment" that could be used and sold in the future, at cost, or perhaps better.  It wasn't propagated  to be a losing situation for the fans, which is exactly what it has become.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

MetLife Stadium has 20,000 more seats than the average NFL stadium.  And that's because in the Fall and Winter, Manhattan becomes Disney World for adult tourists from around the world.  Rockerfeller Center, Rockettes Christmas Show, Broadway Musicals, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Today Show, NBC Studio Tour, Circle Line, Hudson River, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Statue Of Liberty, Central Park, Chinatown, etc.

So if you're from Colorado, Indiana, or Minnesota and you know your team is only in New York once every 3-6 years and there are games against the Jets in beautiful October, it's the perfect time to take a three-day holiday weekend and see Manhattan. 

SAR I

What tour package is complete with 10-15,000 tickets to a Jet home game? I wonder where they got the tickets? Oh, yeah, from Jet "fans."  Next year, with home games against the Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and Pats, it's going to be like going to a game at a neutral site.

100% the problem is sharing the stadium.  The stadium is fine excepts that it lacks personality which could've been corrected if their was only one team playing in the stadium.  

Roof would've been great but not a necessity.  The only drag on not having a roof is when you have those really really cold games.  Like 10 degree or less games.  Those suck.  

Food sucks.  They need to correct that.  

This is football.  We go to the stadium to watch games.  MetLife is probably one of the best stadiums in the league when you just actually want to watch the game.  I don't go to the games to marvel at some assholes architecture and engineering.  

Average 6 games a year, STs since 1990.  Still think GS was a better venue/experience.  I actually see more BS go on in the tailgates/fights in seats now than in GS.  I attribute it to a lot of 20 something single game fans that go all out for one game, get insanely drunk, start fights, etc.  GS had a lot more families that had STs IMO.  Sat next the same groups of people right up thru 2009.  Now it seems very inconsistent.  Only a couple groups of regulars, a lot of single game fans and OOT fans now.  

If anyone cares here’s my take on the whole thing. MetLife is fine to watch the game in but it’s just got a terrible look and zero promotion of the Jets or the Giants. If you have season tickets that’s cool but if you don’t(like me) that’s fine too. You can still be a diehard fan of the team and not be present at the stadium every Sunday. My main problem with MetLife is that it’s in New Jersey. 

42 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

No it's not an investment.  But if you remember, the rationalization by both the Jets and Giants in response to the original uproar over the PSL's was that it was exactly that.  They floated that it was not a fee but an "investment" that could be used and sold in the future, at cost, or perhaps better.  It wasn't propagated  to be a losing situation for the fans, which is exactly what it has become.

...and its the buyer's responsibility to come to his own conclusion.

When a jeweler tells you that an engagement ring is an investment, doesn't mean you should believe them. 

They are 100% right. PSLs are indeed bought and sold in the future. I am sure there has been at least one sold above cost. 

When a person with money meets a person with experience, the one with experience ends up with the money and the one with money leaves with experience.

3 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Yes. I went to the week 15 game vs Houston this year and even the Texans had a decent amount of fans there.

So, when the Jets were mathematically eliminated, it's crazy that people from Texas bought tickets at a low price, just outside the greatest tourist city in the world at the greatest tourist season in the world, a week before Christmas?

5 minutes ago, leonwashington2 said:

...and its the buyer's responsibility to come to his own conclusion.

When a jeweler tells you that an engagement ring is an investment, doesn't mean you should believe them. 

They are 100% right. PSLs are indeed bought and sold in the future. I am sure there has been at least one sold above cost. 

When a person with money meets a person with experience, the one with experience ends up with the money and the one with money leaves with experience.

There are nineteen teams that have PSL's in the NFL.  Baseball has five.  Basketball has four.  Hockey has two. I imagine that tells you something about the Owners of other major sports franchises vs. the Owners in the National Football League.  But, we knew that already.  It's not the same as  the "jeweler".  There are many "jewelers"  There is only one NFL,  New York Jet's franchise. This is not about "experience" nor is it about "business".  It's more of a case of "Blackmail",  and of SCUMBAGS.

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

the only fiscal reason to have season tickets is to have first crack at any home playoff tickets. 

Sooooooo yeah that’s worked out well.

This is a different argument, and one that I totally agree with.

I don't see any point in having season tickets at present.

Even if I pay triple for a playoff ticket, I've saved all that extra money by not paying full price for two preseason games, and there will always be tickets available.  It's even more economically advantageous when you consider that I don't pay for any games I can't make due to other commitments or lack of interest.

For Millennials and younger, season tickets just aren't worth it.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Anyone who believed that got exactly what they deserved.

The people who thought they were investing in something when they bought PSLs are the same people who respond to emails from Nigeria about long lost uncles with untold fortunes.

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

So, when the Jets were mathematically eliminated, it's crazy that people from Texas bought tickets at a low price, just outside the greatest tourist city in the world at the greatest tourist season in the world, a week before Christmas?

No not at all. It makes perfect sense actually. I was just pointing out that even the Texans had a lot of fans at MetLife but you expect that more from fanbases like the Steelers, pats, packers, etc as some have already stated above.   

1 minute ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

No not at all. It makes perfect sense actually. I was just pointing out that even the Texans had a lot of fans at MetLife but you expect that more from fanbases like the Steelers, pats, packers, etc as some have already stated above.   

It's hard to know at this point, frankly.  Plus, things have changed with young fans.  Fandom isn't purely about where you live.  Plenty of Texans fans live in this area.

And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, perhaps the greatest Jets turnout on the road that I've seen, it's Pittsburgh.  So, obviously that fanbase, which is often held as the gold standard, is selling their tickets off too.

There's a huge generational issue here, that people aren't really talking about... This is anecdotal, but I can name only one  person I'd consider a peer (mid-30s, solid career, enough disposable income, married with very young kids) who has season tickets, and he grew up with them and then took them over from his parents.

I believe the idea of a stadium full of home fans only is a relic.

Besides pslsource.com there are other agencies selling pre-owned PSL's just as the NY Jets are selling season tickets in the PSL areas without requiring you to buy a PSL.  

The NY Jets themselves have openly admitted PSL's are not working by doing this. 

The stadium is far from sold out and the stadium is not what they expected it to be. 

Its new and its ok comparing to other much more elaborate venues in the NFL is a joke. 

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The people who thought they were investing in something when they bought PSLs are the same people who respond to emails from Nigeria about long lost uncles with untold fortunes.

Correct. Not your fault somebody else wasn't willing to pay what you did for something. If you buy Springsteen tickets for $1000 and then the resale market for the same seat is $300, it's not Springsteen's fault you paid $1000 for the ticket. You're not a two year old. You shouldn't believe every word somebody tells you. Especially a for profit entity.

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

So the Jets and Giants screw their fan base' and we should feel good about it?  Sorry, I don't. You guys don't get it.  It's basically blackmail.  The PSL license holders knew they were getting  "hosed",, but paid the price because they had no choice. There is only one Jets football team.  There are lots of concerts and "jewelers".  It is not the same.  The relationship between sports franchise and fan is supposed to be somewhat of a  "kinship".  The team shouldn't be screwing their fans, despite what you think.

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So the Jets and Giants screw their fan base' and we should feel good about it?  Sorry, I don't.

No one forced anyone to buy PSL's MANY of us opted out. 

They can make it right by returning PSL fees and going back to season ticket packages only. 

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

the only fiscal reason to have season tickets is to have first crack at any home playoff tickets.

Sooooooo yeah that’s worked out well.

That's not a fiscal reason as any playoff tickets off of Stubhub would be cheaper than a few full seasons of tickets.

The reason one gets season tickets is to a) avoid the stress of buying tickets and scams, b) consistent and dependable view, and c) sitting next to the same group of people who after a few years become your good friends who share the good times and bad with you. 

And then there is d) it makes you a much bigger fan than anyone who isn't a season ticket holder.  It also gets you perks from the Jets themselves like meeting the players, kids day at training camp, etc.

SAR I

Just now, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

When you opted out did you feel good about it?  Exactly.  As for them making it right.... don't hold your breath.

No I didn't,I miss my season tickets after owning them for 23 years and attending every home game adding in a few away games and yes I was also on a waiting list before I got them. There is nothing like being at the stadium win or lose,regardless of the weather, game time or opponent. 

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

div1-zpsraxcvkt3.jpg

firstrow-zpsdb840990.jpg

No one who bought a PSL bought them as some "investment" nor did the Jets make it out to be.  This is just nonsense.

The irony?  The Jets haven't raised ticket prices since 2008.  We're entering Year 11 of no price increases.  My ticket prices actually went down if you can believe it.  The difference between what I expected to pay in ticket increases over the years is more than what the PSL's actually cost.  So in the end, the PSL's cost me nothing, $0.  All I did was pre-pay a ticket price increase of $13 a ticket, less than the cost of a beer and a pretzel. 

And should the Jets get good again, each PSL holder could recoup a large portion of what they actually cost as we're the ones in control of the seats, not the Jets.  My Row 1 Mezzanine Corners are looking quite good right now.  Not that I would, but I bet I could get back what I paid and turn a neat profit.  A reward for paying and attending during the last 7 years of lousy football.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

div1-zpsraxcvkt3.jpg

firstrow-zpsdb840990.jpg

No one who bought a PSL bought them as some "investment" nor did the Jets make it out to be.  This is just nonsense.

The irony?  The Jets haven't raised ticket prices since 2008.  We're entering Year 11 of no price increases.  My ticket prices actually went down if you can believe it.  The difference between what I expected to pay in ticket increases over the years is more than what the PSL's actually cost.  So in the end, the PSL's cost me nothing, $0.  All I did was pre-pay a ticket price increase of $13 a ticket, less than the cost of a beer and a pretzel. 

And should the Jets get good again, each PSL holder could recoup a large portion of what they actually cost as we're the ones in control of the seats, not the Jets.  My Row 1 Mezzanine Corners are looking quite good right now.  Not that I would, but I bet I could get back what I paid and turn a neat profit.  A reward for paying and attending during the last 7 years of lousy football.

SAR I

Enjoy.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:08 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Where does this figure come from?  I tried to research it and found no evidence of this amount.  I know that Woody invested money into the planning and architectural sketches involved in the pre-planning for the stadium, as well as logistics and advertising costs,  But 100 Million Dollars seems  incredible.  The projected cost of the stadium in it's entirety was 800 Million. I know that sounds low, but 100 million for a project that  was dismissed in its infancy does not seem accurate.  Just curious.

IIRC it was in the $70MM range in (albeit unsuccessful) lobbying and planning. It was a lot more than the $10MM it cost planning MetLife stadium on some open land in the NJ suburbs. City construction costs, engineering plans and approval in/around so many other people & buildings in NYC, over the rail yards, PLUS plans for the Olympics bid, expansion of the Javits Center, expansion of the 7 train (even if he wasn't paying for construction on all of that afterward), and studies on how much revenue it would generate for the city in jobs and events and such. He footed a lot of the bill - perhaps all of it - for all that planning I think, probably with the idea that he'd get it back as some $700MM in subsidies (which might have been in the form of getting the property itself for free, but I can't remember exactly; maybe someone else here knows/remembers for sure). 

The projected cost of the WSS (including the land) was a lot more than $800MM; you're maybe thinking more of the amount it would have cost Woody after the city/state was to contribute almost that amount as well. The WSS project in full was in the ~$1.5 billion range (and like MetLife, the new TZB, etc. surely would have eclipsed that number in overruns by the time it was done). 

It's hard to find links anymore -- so much for the idea that everything lives on the internet forever. But someone quoted one of the articles in a MB post: 

NY POST

JERSEY'S ALBANY SERVANTS 

October 3, 2005 -- Are you happy now, Shelly Silver and Joe Bruno? Now that the Jets and Giants have agreed to build a new stadium in Jersey — and to shun New York for at least the next century? 

Apparently, it wasn't enough that Gotham hasn't had a pro football team for the past 21 years. 

So back in June, with the Jets begging to come to the West Side and spend some $1.6 billion of their own money for a new stadium, Assembly Speaker Silver and state Senate Majority Leader Bruno slammed the door in the team's face. 

Silver's excuse? West Side development might compete with his district. 

Bruno? His son had (overnight) become a handsomely paid lobbyist for Cablevision, which owns nearby Madison Square Garden and didn't want competition from a new stadium (more on that below). 

Silver — and others, like mayoral wannabe Freddy Ferrer — said the Jets could eat cake, and build in Queens. 

"I'm sure the Jets feel beholden to Mike Bloomberg" for backing their bid for the West Side, Ferrer said just last month. "But the simple fact is, we all knew that Jets stadium belonged in Queens." 

Too bad no one told the Jets that. 

Yes, the team considered Queens. But it really wanted Manhattan — and spent $70 million trying to get it. 

At one point, the Jets said they'd never go to Queens. And the deal inked Thursday with the Giants for a facility in the Meadowlands (at a fraction of what they'd have spent in Manhattan) defines "never" as at least 99 years. 

But Silver and Ferrer and Bruno never cared about giving the Culture Capital of the World a pro football team. 

Or boosting the chances of winning the Olympics in 2012, which depended on building a West Side stadium. 

Or all the money and jobs the Jets and Olympics would have brought. 

Ferrer just wanted public money spent to lure the Jets to go, instead, into the pockets of his friends in the teachers and health-care unions. (Which, of course, was never possible anyway — and the unions won't get a dime more, even with the West Side plan scuttled.) 

Silver, again, cared only about thwarting development he saw as too competitive with his district. Of course, that development, too, will take place anyway. 

Bruno's son got his money from Cablevision — so the majority leader is happy. 

But if you thought Cablevision was acting in good faith when it "outbid" the Jets for the rights to the MTA site where the stadium was to be built, consider the story Tom Topousis reported exclusively in Wednesday's Post: In e-mails sent during the battle over the stadium, Cablevision urged the supposedly independent Regional Plan Association to hike its estimate of the property's value. 

"I told [RPA officials] their number [$475 million for the site] was low," Cablevision veep Andrew Lynn wrote in the e-mail. "In response, they are now thinking of modifying their numbers." 

Cablevision also "donated" $10,000 to the RPA this year and last. And, lo and behold, the RPA's number came in at $900 million, nearly twice the original amount. 

Clearly, the company was merely trying to make it harder for the Jets to get the site and had no plans to build anything there itself. As Jets lawyer David Boies points out, "If you're a buyer" — as Cablevision pretended it was — "you don't try to double the price." 

In the end, Gotham lost out on pro football, the Olympics and all the business and jobs that would have gone with them. 

And the MTA is stuck with the site, even as some said it would be "grabbed up" if put out to bid; the agency could have had hundreds of millions in the bank by now if it had sold the site to the Jets. 

What a travesty. Shelly, Joe and Freddy should be ashamed.

This wasn't the only place it was reported. The amount was talked about plenty.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

What tour package is complete with 10-15,000 tickets to a Jet home game? I wonder where they got the tickets? Oh, yeah, from Jet "fans."  Next year, with home games against the Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and Pats, it's going to be like going to a game at a neutral site.

10,000 opposing fans sounds about right, that's 12% of the seats in MetLife.

Those tickets come from season ticket holders and PSL owners who have careers and family responsibilities and can't physically attend all home games.  We leave our homes at 10AM and we get home at 6PM, that's a full work day and a lot of time to be away from family.

Last season we had three home games in a row.  I was able to make all three games because my wife and kids came with me and I didn't have any trips for work and didn't have any conflicts with the kids hockey, soccer, dance, etc.

The issue isn't season ticket holders putting their tickets up on Stubhub for one or two games a season.  The issue are LAZY CHEAP JETS COUCH FANS who are too cheap to buy $25 tickets on a Saturday and show up on a Sunday.  Tickets fall into enemy hands because of THOSE JETS FANS, not because of diehard season ticket holders.  It's completely rational that we have to skip a game or two.  There is no excuse for joewilly12 or others like him to not buy those seats and keep them away from our enemies.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

div1-zpsraxcvkt3.jpg

firstrow-zpsdb840990.jpg

SAR I

pslsource.com proves you wrong MANY corner MEZZ seats for sale CHEAP 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I commend you -- sitting in freezing weather on December 30th watching the Jets get annihilated by the Pats surrounded by Boston fans sounds like my nightmare.

This was between 1996-2009 when I lived up in New England and attended games in Foxboro and then Gillette.  It was mostly not fun.  I remember being at the Mo Lewis game in 2001 and remarking how cool it was that their no-name backup was going to have to finish the Pats season.

I was also a Jets season ticket holder from 2001-2009 so not only did I go to the 1 game in MA every year but made it to 4 or 5 Jets games in NJ too.  Those late night drives after losses were not fun.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The issue isn't season ticket holders putting their tickets up on Stubhub for one or two games a season.  The issue are LAZY CHEAP JETS COUCH FANS who are too cheap to buy $25 tickets on a Saturday and show up on a Sunday.  Tickets fall into enemy hands because of THOSE JETS FANS, not because of diehard season ticket holders.  It's completely rational that we have to skip a game or two.  There is no excuse for joewilly12 or others like him to not buy those seats and keep them away from our enemies.

SAR I

SAR I you SELL way more then one or two games a season on Stubhub.............

joewilly12 gets FREE tickets at the current time I even get luxury box invites FREE there is no reason at the current time for me to purchase anything from the NY Jets or you on Stubhub.............

Enjoy

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

This is football.  We go to the stadium to watch games.  MetLife is probably one of the best stadiums in the league when you just actually want to watch the game.  I don't go to the games to marvel at some assholes architecture and engineering.  

This.  100x this.

MetLife is a wonderful stadium for watching a football game.  The seating bowl looks 100% like any other NFL teams' level of team color/spirit.  Who gives a F about green stuff in the concourses or the color of the facade?  No one.

SAR I

This.  100x this.

MetLife is a wonderful stadium for watching a football game.  The seating bowl looks 100% like any other NFL teams' level of team color/spirit.  Who gives a F about green stuff in the concourses or the color of the facade?  No one.

SAR I

Only thing is you are paying for it and getting nothing in return. 

$11 beers to sit in a dungeon?  Sign me up. 

Padded MEZZ seats that smell like an old boat in the hot sun. 

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

div1-zpsraxcvkt3.jpg

firstrow-zpsdb840990.jpg

SAR I

This will be my 40th year of season tickets. I've sat through much more than 7 years of lousy football. If that's all you've had to endure, consider yourself lucky.

53 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

There are nineteen teams that have PSL's in the NFL.  Baseball has five.  Basketball has four.  Hockey has two. I imagine that tells you something about the Owners of other major sports franchises vs. the Owners in the National Football League.  But, we knew that already.  It's not the same as  the "jeweler".  There are many "jewelers"  There is only one NFL,  New York Jet's franchise. This is not about "experience" nor is it about "business".  It's more of a case of "Blackmail",  and of SCUMBAGS.

The PSL's wound up costing the fans who bought them nothing, $0, zilch, nada.

We haven't had a price increase since the stadium opened.  Let me type that again-  Jets ticket prices have not gone up since 2010.  For those of us in the Mezzanine, the Upper Level, and half the Lower Level, our ticket prices haven't gone up since 2008.

Add up what the increases would have been in an expensive stadium in the biggest city in the country and it's a lot more than the $7 to $15 all PSL holders pay on a per-game basis.

This PSL talk is laughable.  Who cares how rich people spent their fun money 11 years ago?

SAR I

The PSL's wound up costing the fans who bought them nothing, $0, zilch, nada.

We haven't had a price increase since the stadium opened.  Let me type that again-  Jets ticket prices have not gone up since 2010.  For those of us in the Mezzanine, the Upper Level, and half the Lower Level, our ticket prices haven't gone up since 2008.

Add up what the increases would have been in an expensive stadium in the biggest city in the country and it's a lot more than the $7 to $15 all PSL holders pay on a per-game basis.

This PSL talk is laughable.  Who cares how rich people spent their fun money 11 years ago?

SAR I

How do you feel about the NY Jets selling the seats next to yours to someone and not charging them a PSL fee? 

Archived