Namath

slats

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Namath to Darnold. 

There. 

I said it. 

First off, I know you’re new here, just want to tell you I enjoy reading your posts. You really have hit the ground running.

That said, the above comment is simply pandering to the board. There is nothing about Darnold that reminds anyone who saw Namath play of Broadway Joe. Let me fix it for you. 

Namath to Mayfield. ?

There.

I fixed it.

You’re welcome. 

• Thumb Down 5

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

First off, I know you’re new here, just want to tell you I enjoy reading your posts. You really have hit the ground running.

That said, the above comment is simply pandering to the board. There is nothing about Darnold that reminds anyone who saw Namath play of Broadway Joe. Let me fix it for you. 

Namath to Mayfield. ?

There.

I fixed it.

You’re welcome. 

My first introduction to Namath was at Hofstra 1968 with my big brother. 

You don’t need to tell me about the Pantheon of legendary Jet QBs. 

But thank you for your compliments. 

I try. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Namath to Mayfield. ?

There.

I fixed it.

You’re welcome. 

Namath to Mayfield?

Not even close. Joe was a man's man. Mayfield is a pipsqueak compared to an in his prime Broadway Joe.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Namath to MAYFIELD?

Seriously?  LMAO.

I'm pretty certain he was referring to his belief that Darnold is the next torch bearer for the NYJ to again achieve greatness, like Namath.

That being said, Mayfield is NOTHING like Namath IMO.

30 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Namath to Mayfield?

Not even close. Joe was a man's man. Mayfield is a pipsqueak compared to an in his prime Broadway Joe.

30 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This. 

LOL just kidding guys... I know what he meant. 

But seriously, if you’re old enough to remember Namath, don’t you think he had the same type of brash style that Mayfield does?

I know it’s not exactly the same, but remember how our dads and grandfathers were turned off by that cocky young Jets QB? That was what made me a Jets fan...

• Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

But seriously, if you’re old enough to remember Namath, don’t you think he had the same type of brash style that Mayfield does?

I know it’s not exactly the same, but remember how our dads and grandfathers were turned off by that cocky young Jets QB? That was what made me a Jets fan...

I was 10 when I met Namath and my Dad didn’t really care so I ran with it. Me and my older brother. 

Darnold will become the greatest QB in Jets history. 

Is all I was saying. That’s a lot but what I’ve seem since 1969 and what I believe. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nice to see I'm not the only one old enough to remember Namath!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually, in style, the QB that always reminded me of Namath was Marino.  That is why I was disappointed the Jets passed on Marino, he had the same drop back and quick release style Namath had.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

There are very few things more overrated than the 4000 yd passing season. In that season he threw 28 INTs (also in only 14 games) and threw away the Jets season.  Joe was great for a brief stretch of his career but 1967 was not one if his great years.

In a critical 3 game stretch late in the year he threw NINE ints to lead them to 3 straight losses, after Houston clinched the division before the final game he then went out and threw 4 TDs with zero ints.  

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, docdhc said:

These threads always get me depressed. I was 11 when Joe won the Super Bowl and agree that he was an all time great.  When he played the Jets had a chance to beat anyone and when he started missing chunks of every season after 1970 they became a last place team.  The younger guys here just look at the stats and say he was nothing special so now we can expect the usual avalanche of how overrated he was.  I'll stop reading the thread here and be happy with the opinions of my generation.  Thanks for posting, though Slats, and fighting the good fight.  Namath, for better or worse, made me the diehard Jet fan I have been for 50 plus years, and no player was more fun to watch or root for. He also is a good man who overcame many personal struggles and he still is loyal to the Jets after all these years.

"When he played the Jets had a chance to beat anyone"- I guess that's why he was one game under .500 as a starting QB.

Joe was special, unfortunately his body wasn't meant for pro football and it broke down.  Those around in that era barely got to see Joe at his peak because of that and he had a mostly mediocre career because of that.

7 hours ago, slats said:

I follow this group on Facebook. If you’re on there (I don’t recommend FB), it’s a cool group. I’m a Jet fan because I was a little kid who got to see a lot of games at Shea. I thought this was a cool defense of our own Broadway Joe: 

Freezing at Flushing members this Don Stokes. I wanted to share something with you written by one of our members Jim Trainor. He was responding to a comment that was made by a member. I won’t share his name. This person stated he felt Joe Namath (In this photo with Buddy Ryan circa 1971) was overrated. I felt Jim’s statement gives a wonderful explanation on the legend of Broadway Joe. 

Thanks Jim 

Here it is:
...................For a period of about 6 years, he (Joe) was the best quarterback in Pro Football, and it wasn’t even close. Just listen to the likes of Lombardi, Madden, Shula, Davis, Walsh, Gillman, Baugh all talk about him. 
Time and the evolution of the game has not been kind to Namath because the post 1980 rule changes and emphasis on scoring has helped dwarf not only his stat line, but his impact on the game. Most people who saw him play, look past the career stat lines because you could “see” the greatness of his talent. 
If you never saw him play, and you only measure greatness through stat lines, you’ll never be convinced that Namath was one of the top 20 talents to ever play the position. It’s unfortunate that injuries, the disadvantage of playing in one of the most “unfriendly” passing venues in football, and horrendous Jet teams of the mid 70’s have damaged those career statistics. 
But here’s a stat to consider... In the history of the NFL, from 1920 to now, there have been 188 quarterbacks that have thrown for over 4,000 yards in a single season. 186 of those occurred AFTER 1980, after the first set of rules to help offenses pass the ball were instituted. From 1920 to 1980, there were ONLY 2 quarterbacks to do it, Dan Fouts and Joe Namath, and Namath is the ONLY 1 to do it in a 14 game season. Further, there have been 11 quarterbacks that have thrown for 5,000 yards in a season since 1984, when Dan Marino did it first. 
The other 10 times it was done all occurred after 2007, which shows you how great Marino was. The point is this... the NFL game we watch today isn’t even the same game it was in 1985, never mind 1970. You can’t measure from different eras against each other... everything about the game (I.e. pro offense rules, stadiums/weather conditions, injury treatments, offensive systems, etc...) is different. Bottom line is this... Joe Namath was one of, if not the best QB, of his generation and some of the greatest coaches and players back that up, even if the career stat line doesn’t.

Can you please tell me about these 6 years where he was the best and it wasn't close?

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I was like 15 when I met Joe. Wasn't really a meeting because I was star struck(imagine meeting your idol). Anyway Joe was larger than life. He just had a presence about him and you could see it even on TV. I don't get that from Mayfield on TV. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I was like 15 when I met Joe. Wasn't really a meeting because I was star struck(imagine meeting your idol). Anyway Joe was larger than life. He just had a presence about him and you could see it even on TV. I don't get that from Mayfield on TV. 

Mayfield does not have that off field charisma Joe had/has.  A got like Deion Sanders had/has it.  Very few players possess that skill.  On the field Mayfield has a Joe like swagger.

9 hours ago, slats said:

Most people who saw him play, look past the career stat lines because you could “see” the greatness of his talent. 
If you never saw him play, and you only measure greatness through stat lines, you’ll never be convinced that Namath was one of the top 20 talents to ever play the position. It’s unfortunate that injuries, the disadvantage of playing in one of the most “unfriendly” passing venues in football, and horrendous Jet teams of the mid 70’s have damaged those career statistics. 

Can you clarify the above.  Someone can be a top talent but on-the-field only produce a fraction of the output they could/should have (e.g. due to injuries).  Is that what you're saying with Namath or am I misinterpreting?

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

To really appreciate Namath you have to watch tape of how QB's were exposed back then. Tom Brady, if put through half the abuse Namath had to endure, would have been out of the league 7-8 years ago and likely being treated for PTSD...

Clearly there have been major rule changes through the years, with the current era being far-and-away the most QB-friendly.  

38 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm thinking you don't think namath was all that great over 6 seasons. i'm thinking more like 4.  but without taking too much away from the guy the injuries certainly have a role to play in his greatness.  there were guys like lynn dickey who really knew how to throw the ball and play the position but the guy was always injured.  all too often that's the case.

as the poster said, the game has changed but we should also remember that the jets of the late 60's was a loaded team.  they beat the colts in sb 3 because they had some seriously good talent for that era.  again, it's not to take anything away from namath.  i remember the 73 game when he had that shoot out with unitas.  no doubt namath took over that game.  and over 4 seasons, from about 65 through 69, namath was the best qb in all of football and that included guys like unitas, hadl, lamonica, starr, etc.

It's Jets luck that we got a talent like that and he was damaged goods.  There's no doubt he's an all time top talent but he didn't get to show his greatness for very long because of the injuries.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

To really appreciate Namath you have to watch tape of how QB's were exposed back then. Tom Brady, if put through half the abuse Namath had to endure, would have been out of the league 7-8 years ago and likely being treated for PTSD...

We can only judge players based on the era in which they played.  

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Great to see the never-ending apologist of the Noodle-arm and Buttfumble so excited to trash Namath.

Noodle arm apologists still exist? I thought we eradicated that virus a decade ago. 

Freaken anti vaxxers

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What is the facebook group? Can you link to it?

It's called Freezing at Flushing. Mostly pics and other memories from that era. Some former Jets are members. Don Maynard's son posts pics. Positive group that generally stays away from the current team.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mayfield does not have that off field charisma Joe had/has.  A got like Deion Sanders had/has it.  Very few players possess that skill.  On the field Mayfield has a Joe like swagger.

Agree and disagree. You're right. Mayfield doesn't have that off field charisma Joe does. It may have ebbed a bit but it's still there.

I think we need to see more of Mayfield to come to the conclusion that he is on Joe's level. The sample size is too small to put him on there just yet.