Takeaways from this draft so far

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wouldnt shock me one bit to learn Mac had a deal on the table that was good enough but he wouldnt pull the trigger because they had a 5th rounder he desperately wanted.  He's done this sh*t before. 

I believe this has “happened” to him three or four times, and not just in the first round. Remember the Kamara thing?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders liked the two best players in the draft 2. Q Williams, and 1. Nick Bosa. If they were there the Raiders would have took either one of them.   They were both gone( 49ers and Jets took them  , and they took the best 4-3 DE they had right behind N Bosa. 

You would like to have been able to trade back and get Ferrell , but nobody was willing to give anything.   So you take the guy you want , because there was no guarantee he makes it to 24. ( not trading up and losing a pick). 

I don't understand why Jet fans are crying you got one of the two top players in the whole draft. ( only mistake was not getting pass rushing Olb in Fa)    .       Jet fans would have addressed that pass rusher in Fa, you be doing cartwheels today getting Q Williams.

Do you like your draft so far?

OMy favorite emerging theme so far is that 1. Macc has been pushed into a corner every year in the draft and is doing the best he can AND 2. He can just trade two of his other first round picks (Lee and Leo) at a deep discount to recoup a second (or later) to draft players at actual positions of desperate need. Tis a tale as old as time.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My favorite emerging theme so far is that 1. Macc has been pushed into a corner every year in the draft and is doing the best he can AND 2. He can just trade two of his other first round picks (Lee and Leo) at a deep discount to recoup a second (or later) pick up draft players at actual positions of desperate need. Tis a tale as old as time.

Desperate need is a little strong. They have a desperate need at center but none else really

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Darryl Roberts is your second best cornerback and Gregg Williams, by default, is going to blitz on every down. 

You don't understand, the genius Gregg Williams, who is apparently now the most recent Jets' GM-in-disguise, will revolutionize the entire NFL when he institutes a brand new defense never before seen:  the 6-2-3.  That's right, 6 DTs, 2 ILBs, and 3 DBs (specifically, 1 CB and 2 safeties).

Mind.... blown!

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You don't understand, the genius Gregg Williams, who is apparently now the most recent Jets' GM-in-disguise, will revolutionize the entire NFL when he institutes a brand new defense never before seen:  the 6-2-3.  That's right, 6 DTs, 2 ILBs, and 3 DBs (specifically, 1 CB and 2 safeties).

Mind.... blown!

I like the Williams hire but the idea among Jets fans that somehow Williams is now the Bill Walsh of defense is nuts.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders liked the two best players in the draft 2. Q Williams, and 1. Nick Bosa. If they were there the Raiders would have took either one of them.   They were both gone( 49ers and Jets took them  , and they took the best 4-3 DE they had right behind N Bosa. 

You would like to have been able to trade back and get Ferrell , but nobody was willing to give anything.   So you take the guy you want , because there was no guarantee he makes it to 24. ( not trading up and losing a pick). 

I don't understand why Jet fans are crying you got one of the two top players in the whole draft. ( only mistake was not getting pass rushing Olb in Fa)    .       Jet fans would have addressed that pass rusher in Fa, you be doing cartwheels today getting Q Williams.

That was the same claim made with the Leo selection, when attempting to justify the Jets, with a roster full of holes, picking at the position they already had 2 Pro Bowl starters.  4 years later, he hasn't lived up to the hype to the point they felt the need to draft his replacement, while still having failed to address many of the same holes they had back then.  It's literally a repetition of the same idiocy committed by the same people.  That is why fans aren't happy, and rightfully so.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I am tired of Mike Maccagnan. Tired of defensive tackles. Tired of BPA. Oliver was easily the more exciting interior DL pick.

Actually think Quinnen Williams will be really, really good. And that’s new for me.

I just hope we have a new GM signing him to an extension after he makes a couple of Pro Bowls.

I’m excited for day 2 because the roster is so bad it’s going to be hard for Maccagnan to hurt with a position. Aside from what...ILB, safety, another DL, QB, and maybe RB - everything else is a hole. He’ll hurt me with the player but not the position.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

I would literally ******* kill to have one (1) human covering the Jets beat that tries to get answers and accountability from the team the way Kim Jones consistently gets after the Giants, asks pertinent questions, and isn’t content to just take the company line on every dog treat that team PR tosses at them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Mac needs to trade up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab a WR.  That is how he can make this draft right with me.  

Even if Williams turns out to be a perennial all pro, it was still a stupid pick strategically and from a team building standpoint for the 2019 Jets.  Edge rushers were falling from the sky and the team desperately needed an edge rusher.  There is no logic that can be utilized to justify this pick to me.  

• Upvote 1

I’m hoping Maccagnan accidentally falls into a guy I like today with one of his drafting tendencies. Older smaller school guy - Scharping.

The bar is pretty low. If he falls into McCoy or Jenkins the board will he doing backflips. What will be hysterical is when one of them is there and he passes or he lets a team jump ahead for him.

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Mac needs to trade up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab a WR.  That is how he can make this draft right with me.  

Even if Williams turns out to be a perennial all pro, it was still a stupid pick strategically and from a team building standpoint for the 2019 Jets.  Edge rushers were falling from the sky and the team desperately needed an edge rusher.  There is no logic that can be utilized to justify this pick to me.  

There are a lot of dudes at WR I like and I’m pretty sure Maccagnan is going to pass on at least one of them at 68.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan saying that he’s going to try to trade up into the second round is an admission that he knows he ****ed up in the first round. We’ll never know what the offers were to trade down from 3, but chances are good that Maccagnan choked and took the chicken exit to cover his own ass. It was reminiscent of Tannenbaum talking about the “mini-draft” after nuking one of his draft classes, referring to the UDFA signing period. 

The Denver-Pittsburgh trade was probably as close as you can get to the draft pick value trade chart. If Mac fielded any offers that matched that chart, he should've taken one of them. That said, the QBs clearly dropped, Allen dropped, was someone going to give a haul for Quinnen Williams there? 

And how does he plan to trade into the second round? The rumored Lee + a third trade with Philly? Next year's first? The only thing I would like about him trading future picks is that it would be clear evidence (to me) that the man feels like he's on the hot seat. Man, it would be nice to have the second pick in the second round right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to save you some time, friend. Today will follow thusly—from noon until 7p, the stories from the best hacks will range from how they *feel* about the Quinnen Willians pick to how they *feel* about this *new Jets era of football* where Gregg Williams will make everyone’s dreams come true, somehow, emphasizing how many *pieces* he has to work with on defense. At some point, the coverage will transition to Mike Maccagnan’s heroic efforts to trade up into the second round tonight—but couldn’t!!—because other teams are CRAZY and demanded CRAZY THINGS from Mike Maccagnan and Mike Maccagnan—shrewd as a fox—wouldn’t be taken for a fool!!!

So the Jets will wait it out and at 3.4, the Jets will draft a CB with an undesirable three-cone time, but whose mother died of cancer when he was in the third grade but(!!!) he was still able to get a scholarship to Western Kentucky because of his #grit and #determination. This cornerback will refer to Evan Roberts as “sir” when he’s interviewed on Monday. Joe Beningo, after this gritty cornerback/safety hands up, will say, “I don’t know, bro.”

In the downtime between the Jets third round picks, stories will emerge about how *very close* Mike Maccagnan was to trading up into the second round to draft Jawaan Taylor or Erik McCoy but they...just...couldn’t...get there on compensation (which will turn out to be a future sixth rounder). 

There will also be a story about how a mystery team was beating down Mike Maccagnan’s door to trade for Leonard Williams but, AGAIN, Mike Maccagnan is *nobody’s fool* and he turned that Shylock away because the team loves Leonard Williams so much—and who doesn’t?!—and every other team in the league covets every player Mike Maccagnan has ever drafted.

At pick 98, the Jets will draft a free safety. Why, you ask? Because safeties are important and that’s why the Jets worked out 20 of them in the pre-draft process. Mike Maccagnan will drop his classic soul rendition of TVWTG (The Value Was Too Good) regarding this young safety who is “versatile” and “can do a lot of things.”

Costello and Hughes will dutifully write similar thinkpieces about poor Mike Maccagnan being the victim of a talent-poor draft at positions of need, and how Maccagnan—like George Clooney in “The Perfect Storm”—stayed at the wheel and did everything he could to navigate his Jets team through the tempest, and came away with three players that noted draft savants Todd McShay, Matt Miller, and Matt Miller’s nineteen year old assistant thought were “top fifty talents,” which would classify this year’s haul as a litany of *steals*. 

Always upbeat as usual. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Denver-Pittsburgh trade was probably as close as you can get to the draft pick value trade chart. If Mac fielded any offers that matched that chart, he should've taken one of them. That said, the QBs clearly dropped, Allen dropped, was someone going to give a haul for Quinnen Williams there? 

And how does he plan to trade into the second round? The rumored Lee + a third trade with Philly? Next year's first? The only thing I would like about him trading future picks is that it would be clear evidence (to me) that the man feels like he's on the hot seat. Man, it would be nice to have the second pick in the second round right now. 

lee will be shopped unsuccessfully today.  if he trades next year's picks it's out of desperation.

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The only way the QW pick ends up being a big success is if his presence helps Leo become the player we want him to be. The idea is you put them side by side and you expect one of them to occasionally get doubled and the other one to do his thing. If they can help each other succeed and feed off of one another, it can work. 

Paying Anderson and drafting Quinnen at #3 makes paying Leo next year very difficult. So what you're describing is what the Jets need to do so that someone else breaks the bank for Leo and the Jets get themselves a third round comp pick in 2021. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to save you some time, friend. Today will follow thusly—from noon until 7p, the stories from the beat hacks will range from how they *feel* about the Quinnen Willians pick to how they *feel* about this *new Jets era of football* where Gregg Williams will make everyone’s dreams come true, somehow, emphasizing how many *pieces* he has to work with on defense. At some point, the coverage will transition to Mike Maccagnan’s heroic efforts to trade up into the second round tonight—but couldn’t!!—because other teams are CRAZY and demanded CRAZY THINGS from Mike Maccagnan and Mike Maccagnan—shrewd as a fox—wouldn’t be taken for a fool!!!

So the Jets will wait it out and at 3.4, the Jets will draft a CB with an undesirable three-cone time, but whose mother died of cancer when he was in the third grade but(!!!) he was still able to get a scholarship to Western Kentucky because of his #grit and #determination. This cornerback will refer to Evan Roberts as “sir” when he’s interviewed on Monday. Joe Beningo, after this gritty cornerback/safety hangs up, will say, “I don’t know, bro.”

In the downtime between the Jets third round picks, stories will emerge about how *very close* Mike Maccagnan was to trading up into the second round to draft Jawaan Taylor or Erik McCoy but they...just...couldn’t...get there on compensation (which will turn out to be a future sixth rounder). 

There will also be a story about how a mystery team was beating down Mike Maccagnan’s door to trade for Leonard Williams but, AGAIN, Mike Maccagnan is *nobody’s fool* and he turned that Shylock away because the team loves Leonard Williams so much—and who doesn’t?!—and every other team in the league covets every player Mike Maccagnan has ever drafted.

At pick 98, the Jets will draft a free safety. Why, you ask? Because safeties are important and that’s why the Jets worked out 20 of them in the pre-draft process. Mike Maccagnan will drop his classic soul rendition of TVWTG (The Value Was Too Good) regarding this young safety who is “versatile” and “can do a lot of things.”

Costello and Hughes will dutifully write similar thinkpieces about poor Mike Maccagnan being the victim of a talent-poor draft at positions of need, and how Maccagnan—like George Clooney in “The Perfect Storm”—stayed at the wheel and did everything he could to navigate his Jets team through the tempest, and came away with three players that noted draft savants Todd McShay, Matt Miller, and Matt Miller’s nineteen year old assistant thought were “top fifty talents,” which would classify this year’s haul as a litany of *steals*. 

I was waiting for the coffee, or something stronger, to kick in. ? Great post..right on.

• Upvote 1

All I know is that the draft people, who are paid good money to try and prognosticate who is going to be good or not, like the pick. And I trust them more so than fans speaking on an online forum. And that includes myself.

people say look at Leo. Well looking at that draft, the prognosticators were correct. Leo has been one of the best players in the top ten. Look at The people after him. The only player that I would drafted over Williams in that spot was Todd Gurley. And apparently drafting a top ten running back is bad value.

Now today and tomorrow are the days that Macc needs to improve on. His job is on the line right now.  Because he hasn’t done well those days

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to save you some time, friend. Today will follow thusly—from noon until 7p, the stories from the beat hacks will range from how they *feel* about the Quinnen Willians pick to how they *feel* about this *new Jets era of football* where Gregg Williams will make everyone’s dreams come true, somehow, emphasizing how many *pieces* he has to work with on defense. At some point, the coverage will transition to Mike Maccagnan’s heroic efforts to trade up into the second round tonight—but couldn’t!!—because other teams are CRAZY and demanded CRAZY THINGS from Mike Maccagnan and Mike Maccagnan—shrewd as a fox—wouldn’t be taken for a fool!!!

So the Jets will wait it out and at 3.4, the Jets will draft a CB with an undesirable three-cone time, but whose mother died of cancer when he was in the third grade but(!!!) he was still able to get a scholarship to Western Kentucky because of his #grit and #determination. This cornerback will refer to Evan Roberts as “sir” when he’s interviewed on Monday. Joe Beningo, after this gritty cornerback/safety hangs up, will say, “I don’t know, bro.”

This post makes me so very sad.