Takeaways from this draft so far

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Would have been happy if they took Sweat at 24 and Josh Jacobs at 27 .    Gruden didn't want to lose Jacobs , so he took the rb( no one wanted RB that was left)  His brother screwed him trading up in front of him to get sweat. I would have taken Justin Layne instead of the safety.

after the picks they made on defense last year, I have more confidence the DC knows exactly what he needs to build his defense. ( why not as upset as I would be) 

Raiders have two offers to trade back from 35.     A lot of top players around still can't make my mind if they should draft CB, or top offenselineman left . Dalton Risner, or Cody Ford would be nice young replacement for Osemele at guard.

Might be something they do. Mayock was quoted in an article last week that he's sad they don't have picks in his sweet spot, from #35-60. Said that's where you get the guys that really love football.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to save you some time, friend. Today will follow thusly—from noon until 7p, the stories from the beat hacks will range from how they *feel* about the Quinnen Willians pick to how they *feel* about this *new Jets era of football* where Gregg Williams will make everyone’s dreams come true, somehow, emphasizing how many *pieces* he has to work with on defense. At some point, the coverage will transition to Mike Maccagnan’s heroic efforts to trade up into the second round tonight—but couldn’t!!—because other teams are CRAZY and demanded CRAZY THINGS from Mike Maccagnan and Mike Maccagnan—shrewd as a fox—wouldn’t be taken for a fool!!!

So the Jets will wait it out and at 3.4, the Jets will draft a CB with an undesirable three-cone time, but whose mother died of cancer when he was in the third grade but(!!!) he was still able to get a scholarship to Western Kentucky because of his #grit and #determination. This cornerback will refer to Evan Roberts as “sir” when he’s interviewed on Monday. Joe Beningo, after this gritty cornerback/safety hangs up, will say, “I don’t know, bro.”

In the downtime between the Jets third round picks, stories will emerge about how *very close* Mike Maccagnan was to trading up into the second round to draft Jawaan Taylor or Erik McCoy but they...just...couldn’t...get there on compensation (which will turn out to be a future sixth rounder). 

There will also be a story about how a mystery team was beating down Mike Maccagnan’s door to trade for Leonard Williams but, AGAIN, Mike Maccagnan is *nobody’s fool* and he turned that Shylock away because the team loves Leonard Williams so much—and who doesn’t?!—and every other team in the league covets every player Mike Maccagnan has ever drafted.

At pick 98, the Jets will draft a free safety. Why, you ask? Because safeties are important and that’s why the Jets worked out 20 of them in the pre-draft process. Mike Maccagnan will drop his classic soul rendition of TVWTG (The Value Was Too Good) regarding this young safety who is “versatile” and “can do a lot of things.”

Costello and Hughes will dutifully write similar thinkpieces about poor Mike Maccagnan being the victim of a talent-poor draft at positions of need, and how Maccagnan—like George Clooney in “The Perfect Storm”—stayed at the wheel and did everything he could to navigate his Jets team through the tempest, and came away with three players that noted draft savants Todd McShay, Matt Miller, and Matt Miller’s nineteen year old assistant thought were “top fifty talents,” which would classify this year’s haul as a litany of *steals*. 

This is one of the best posts ever. I had written a post about our first round pick, and was exactly right that we would pick Williams, Mac was really "comfortable" there were offers but nonce good enough, blah blah blah. And you nailed what will happen today. Not only is McCoffee incompetent he is PREDICTABLY incompetent.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. There is a gulf between what NFL teams are doing and what the people that cover those teams are reporting on. Insider “access” has become a highly managed, self-contained industry whereby the NFL controls what “news” is distributed, when it gets out, and how. If you’re not Schefter or Rapoport, you’re frozen out entirely. The draft media, specifically, is a bunch of self-appointed bloggers who are almost not worth paying attention to. 

2. Quinnen Williams is a fine player who does nothing to help Sam Darnold or the Jets. He doesn’t make the product appreciably better, and his presence here should presage the end of Leonard Williams’ underwhelming time on the roster because there’s no reason to keep both of them, especially when you have to pay one of them $17 mil per after this season. Maccagnan did *exactly this* four years ago with Sheldon and Leonard and he thinks he’s going to get away with it again. 

3. Maccagnan will skate, at least publicly, because Dave Gettleman bailed them out with a catastrophic draft night. The Giants train wreck is set to be a national sports story until Gettleman is tossed.

4. The ESPN telecast was a mothet****ing nightmare from start to finish. From Trey Wingo’s screaming, weird opening monologue, to Booger McFarland reminding everyone how awful the Monday Night Football telecast was, to relegating Schefter to a side screen propping up Mort, it was awful. The lowlight, however, was the fifteen minute vignette where they took turns apologizing for and explaining away Jeffrey Simmons beating the sh*t out of a woman lying on the ground. This segment was so inexcusable and obtuse that someone needs to be outed for producing it. At one point, Wingo even says that the woman on the ground had a “history” with Simmons’ sister, as though she had it coming. There’s a reason ESPN was so invested in covering for Simmons and someone needs to find out that reason. An absolute disgrace. Maybe Mushnick or Marchand can take a day off from dick-riding Francesa to actually do some reporting on an actual sports media story.

5. Maccagnan saying that he’s going to try to trade up into the second round is an admission that he knows he ****ed up in the first round. We’ll never know what the offers were to trade down from 3, but chances are good that Maccagnan choked and took the chicken exit to cover his own ass. It was reminiscent of Tannenbaum talking about the “mini-draft” after nuking one of his draft classes, referring to the UDFA signing period. 

#2 is not the same at all. Q Williams has been touted by people as a possible Hall of Famer and the best D tackle in the last 10 years. Aaron Donald rushes the passer. How do you get to Brady? Pressure up the middle. You don't keep from picking a potential all time great player to pick someone at least two levels below without adequate compensation. Lots of pundits were not sold on Josh Allen, so #3 was too high for him. I wanted a trade back but only if we got enough back. Q will absolutely help this team get better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greensleeves said:

#2 is not the same at all. Q Williams has been touted by people as a possible Hall of Famer and the best D tackle in the last 10 years. Aaron Donald rushes the passer. How do you get to Brady? Pressure up the middle. You don't keep from picking a potential all time great player to pick someone at least two levels below without adequate compensation. Lots of pundits were not sold on Josh Allen, so the bust potential can be high.

1. Every player you pick at 3 should be a "possible Hall of Famer." That's why you pick them at 3.

2. Literally nothing about Quinnen's athletic profile suggests that he's in Aaron Donald's class as a player or pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Every draft of his sans the Darnold trade is just so gutless. 2 interior linemen and a safety with 3 top-6 picks. The draft value in capital for 3 top-6 picks is preposterous. You can build a roster on that and we haven’t built sh*t. It’s nuts. 

Another DT. Total fail.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Every player you pick at 3 should be a "possible Hall of Famer." That's why you pick them at 3.

2. Literally nothing about Quinnen's athletic profile suggests that he's in Aaron Donald's class as a player or pass rusher.

Go root for the jaguars Johnny Idzik is currently their front office Starbucks runner

• Upvote 1

Hypothetical if we had a GM who took an offensive lineman in round 1 instead of BAP: Last year Mac pissed  the 6th pick on Jamal Adams , he could have taken tackle Garret Bolles who Denver picked at 20. In 2017, mahomes was still on the board when Mac picked Jamal Adams 6. There is no way Mac didn’t receive any trade offers with Mahomes on the board. G Joshua Garnett was taken by 49ers and the jets got LMAO Darron Lee. In 2015 jets could have drafted Andrus Peat instead of Leonard Williams. Imagine right now the 2019 Jets with that OLine and Darnold. Mac sucks 

1 minute ago, Coquito said:

Hypothetical if we had a GM who took an offensive lineman in round 1 instead of BAP: Last year Mac pissed  the 6th pick on Jamal Adams , he could have taken tackle Garret Bolles who Denver picked at 20. In 2017, mahomes was still on the board when Mac picked Jamal Adams 6. There is no way Mac didn’t receive any trade offers with Mahomes on the board. G Joshua Garnett was taken by 49ers and the jets got LMAO Darron Lee. In 2015 jets could have drafted Andrus Peat instead of Leonard Williams. Imagine right now the 2019 Jets with that OLine and Darnold. Mac sucks 

QWilliams is an infinitely better pick than Adams was. So there's that to hang your hat on,

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

QWilliams is an infinitely better pick than Adams was. So there's that to hang your hat on,

I wouldn’t have a problem with the Q Williams pick if we had the aforementioned OLine. My point being I keep reading you always take the BAP instead of drafting for need which is demonstrably false. 

4 minutes ago, Coquito said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with the Q Williams pick if we had the aforementioned OLine. My point being I keep reading you always take the BAP instead of drafting for need which is demonstrably false. 

There are less and less quality olinemen at the top of the draft these days because all of the good athletes are playing DLine.

The other options at 3 were Allen (who seemed to become overrated)

Oliver- who's likely hard to coach/loose cannon

Hockenson- who would have been fine after you deal with the Monday morning QB's in the national media 

QWill is a really good player. It's just frustrating the amount of defensive linemen this team has taken/wasted picks on. I think Hockenson would have made a more immediate impact and be Darnold's go-to.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Shane 1st off you are on ******* fire today. I don't know what you put in the coffee but pass it over here my friend

and yes they are a bunch of dummies running the team

the two point on where we differ

1 is this overall quality of QW. He's a higher pick than all the DT they've ever drafted, better workouts, from a better program etc.  You probably don't care but his Arm over move is friggin ridiculous 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/8/18252958/nfl-draft-2019-quinnen-williams-new-york-jets-scouting-report-defensive-tackle-alabama

2 - the crucial point you are missing is that TB12 is still standing upright and he's benjamin Buttoning his way to being the oldest QB to ever play. The Bills took a DT, The Fins took a DT, the Jets took a DT. Is that an accident?  David Andrews the center for the Pats is undersized and no great shakes. Aaron Donald was in Brady's face and head all Super Bowl long. 

it's because everyone in America, even you Shane, knows the only way to get to Tom Brady is through interior pressure. When Buffalo took Ed Oliver I was first pissed, because he could be an amazing player in this division for a decade but then I thought, no. Good luck Ed Oliver, go get TB12, Ed. Break him. 

QW does help Sam Darnold by getting him the football back. this defense couldn't get off the field last year on 3rd and 19.   

Finally...someone sees it the same way I do!

The level of defeatism over this pick is suffocating. 

I understand the need for more picks to fill needs and add depth to the roster.  IMO you do it if you can get a boatload of picks that makes it worthwhile...to pass up a perennial pro bowl talent, who has a unique skill set that can make him very special.  QW is a more scheme diversified player then many here give him credit for.

QW is very smart, instinctive, powerful and explosive.  Possesses tremendous hand strength with unorthodox technique, that makes him win against double teams. 

So...I actually wanted QW because I believe he'll be a recking ball right into the guts of the pass protection, and into a QB's face. Forcing him to bail out of the pocket...breaking the rhythm of the passing play and turning it into a scramble to either complete a pass on the run...run it...or throw it away.  

None of this is a trademark of Brady's play.  If you can flush him out of the pocket and force him to make throws on the run, his level of efficiency definitely falls off. As it does for most QB's, if they have to do this too often.

But especially a pure pocket passer like Brady with limited mobility.  He's excellent at getting a good pre-snap read.  Then usually a post snap confirmation.  And if he senses an edge rush, Brady will step up into the pocket without taking his eyes off downfield, and then quick release a completion. He'll do this all game long and beat you. 

Want Jets to compete for the division? You have to dictate to Brady as much as possible, NYJ's new terms of the passing game.  QW is the dictator to do that with a strong up the middle pass rush putting Brady on the move.

It's all about playing Q-ball all game on Tom Brady.

It's Q-ball Brady to the left pocket. Q-ball Brady into the right pocket. Q-ball Brady into the side pocket. Q-ball Brady into a funeral pyre!

I'm happy with this pick.

• Post of the Week 1

Just updating this quick. This draft blows. Quinnen is fine, Polite sounds like a dude who ends up living in his car, and Edoga is likewise fine. 

The bad news: Not enough players at positions of need.

The good news: It sounds like there's a significant chance Maccagnan gets thrown off a balcony by Monday. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just updating this quick. This draft blows. Quinnen is fine, Polite sounds like a dude who ends up living in his car, and Edoga is likewise fine. 

The good news: It sounds like there's a significant chance Maccagnan gets thrown off a balcony by Monday. 

Cmonnnnn you can do better then this. 

I'm not hating it. Got the best guy to push the middle of the pocket. Got a pass rusher who just needs to keep his head on straight (I mean who cares as long as he's busy sacking QBs ammirite?) and a versatile OL. 

Get me another WR for Sam to throw to and i'll be kinda happy. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can't wait until Gregg Williams gets on Polite, should make for fun times considering he couldn't handle the interviews at the combine because they were critical of his play.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think #2 is factually incorrect. Lots of similarities. 

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Cmonnnnn you can do better then this. 

I'm not hating it. Got the best guy to push the middle of the pocket. Got a pass rusher who just needs to keep his head on straight (I mean who cares as long as he's busy sacking QBs ammirite?) and a versatile OL. 

Get me another WR for Sam to throw to and i'll be kinda happy. 

Wayyyyyy too many red flags on Polite to ignore, man. Character, work ethic, athleticism; all of them flagged. If he makes it three years on the roster, it’s a bonus. Quinnen is Leonard Williams’ replacement, so even though he’s a good player, it’s just a good player you’re sticking where you already had a decent player. Edoga looks like a guy who can be here for awhile, though, so that’s a bonus. 

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

I can't wait until Gregg Williams gets on Polite, should make for fun times considering he couldn't handle the interviews at the combine because they were critical of his play.

Yeah, if he can’t take hard coaching, I mean, he might not make it through training camp

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think #2 is factually incorrect. Lots of similarities. 

There is really none. Based on every metric QW comes up short. At least for the metrics he actually tested at.

• Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Frequently busting through double teams, using multiple moves and counters. Intelligently setting up blockers to defeat them. Diagnosing plays well, fast pursuit and closing speed. 

That's not metrics.

I'm for one am happy.  Got three potential starters and all when having no picks in the second round.  Two of these players could be stars and the other could be a LT replacement for Beachum.  That's what I basically wanted from the draft.  Three starters to prove that Macc could at least draft in the later rounds.  We get a corner like Love in the 4th and I'll be ecstatic.  Now, I still think there is a good shot Macc could be for the chop after the draft anyways.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to save you some time, friend. Today will follow thusly—from noon until 7p, the stories from the beat hacks will range from how they *feel* about the Quinnen Willians pick to how they *feel* about this *new Jets era of football* where Gregg Williams will make everyone’s dreams come true, somehow, emphasizing how many *pieces* he has to work with on defense. At some point, the coverage will transition to Mike Maccagnan’s heroic efforts to trade up into the second round tonight—but couldn’t!!—because other teams are CRAZY and demanded CRAZY THINGS from Mike Maccagnan and Mike Maccagnan—shrewd as a fox—wouldn’t be taken for a fool!!!

So the Jets will wait it out and at 3.4, the Jets will draft a CB with an undesirable three-cone time, but whose mother died of cancer when he was in the third grade but(!!!) he was still able to get a scholarship to Western Kentucky because of his #grit and #determination. This cornerback will refer to Evan Roberts as “sir” when he’s interviewed on Monday. Joe Beningo, after this gritty cornerback/safety hangs up, will say, “I don’t know, bro.”

In the downtime between the Jets third round picks, stories will emerge about how *very close* Mike Maccagnan was to trading up into the second round to draft Jawaan Taylor or Erik McCoy but they...just...couldn’t...get there on compensation (which will turn out to be a future sixth rounder). 

There will also be a story about how a mystery team was beating down Mike Maccagnan’s door to trade for Leonard Williams but, AGAIN, Mike Maccagnan is *nobody’s fool* and he turned that Shylock away because the team loves Leonard Williams so much—and who doesn’t?!—and every other team in the league covets every player Mike Maccagnan has ever drafted.

At pick 98, the Jets will draft a free safety. Why, you ask? Because safeties are important and that’s why the Jets worked out 20 of them in the pre-draft process. Mike Maccagnan will drop his classic soul rendition of TVWTG (The Value Was Too Good) regarding this young safety who is “versatile” and “can do a lot of things.”

Costello and Hughes will dutifully write similar thinkpieces about poor Mike Maccagnan being the victim of a talent-poor draft at positions of need, and how Maccagnan—like George Clooney in “The Perfect Storm”—stayed at the wheel and did everything he could to navigate his Jets team through the tempest, and came away with three players that noted draft savants Todd McShay, Matt Miller, and Matt Miller’s nineteen year old assistant thought were “top fifty talents,” which would classify this year’s haul as a litany of *steals*. 

I want to be your friend so badly