Jets add two more names to GM search

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Optimistically: Sometimes, even when you know who you're going to hire, you interview a few other guys as a favor to their agents, to increase their profiles and bargaining leverage with their current teams.

Pessimistically: Someone is in Chris Johnson's ear telling him that Gase is actively freezing him out of every aspect of running the team and, in response, this is Chris interjecting himself into the GM hiring process as a lame power move. 

gln6bwoamx121.jpg

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Or it already has happened.

this job sucks. Jets fans are too close to see it 

but other than "It's one of the GM jobs available" and "Sam Darnold is a person" it's gotta be one of the worst jobs you could take as a GM wanna be 

the "everyone reports to the owner" structure is lunacy and the fans have dreams of a super bowl despite the roster being 4-12 

once the fans got a GM fired with an airplane banner. That sh*t doesn't happen in Green Bay 

these guys do have other options they can hang around their own functional franchise and take over when Ozzie Newsome retires like Eric Decosta (another name the Jets wanted for year) 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but other than "It's one of the GM jobs available" and "Sam Darnold is a person" it's gotta be one of the worst jobs you could take as a GM wanna be 

these guys do have other options they can hang around their own functional franchise and take over when Ozzie Newsome retires like Eric Decosta (another name the Jets wanted for year) 

or the Johnson's could pay above market rate and make the job slightly more appealing, however the siloed reporting structure kind of prevents this.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

or the Johnson's could pay above market rate and make the job slightly more appealing, however the siloed reporting structure kind of prevents this.

I would think in order to compete they'd have to pay above market rate. The cost of living is much higher here than most parts of the country.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the "everyone reports to the owner" structure is lunacy and the fans have dreams of a super bowl despite the roster being 4-12 

once the fans got a GM fired with an airplane banner. That sh*t doesn't happen in Green Bay 

At the end of the season the job would have looked good.  New GM had tons of money to spend, and an early draft pick.

Now they have to come in behind a failed GM, who just spent a total of over $200,000,000 in FA money.

Your top 2 FA's have other things to do during OTA's.  In January it would appear to be a great job.  All you can do now is manage a failed GM's roster. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I would think in order to compete they'd have to pay above market rate. The cost of living is much higher here than most parts of the country.

That too. Reading the tea leaves already it sounds like Douglas is probably out. The Jets make this more difficult than it needs to be. The reporting structure alone just continues to leave no one truly in charge. We don't even know which owner is in charge.

• Upvote 2

I don't see why the reporting structure is that big of an issue.  Sure it sucks, but wouldn't you rather report to the owner than report to the coach who reports to the owner?  You aren't the boss, but you are a half a rung higher up the ladder. Put yourself in Idzik's shoes:  Sure it sucks not being able to fire Rex or boss him around (but he did supposedly force them to start Geno), but it sure beats having to report to a paranoid psycho - which most coaches are.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see why the reporting structure is that big of an issue.  Sure it sucks, but wouldn't you rather report to the owner than report to the coach who reports to the owner?  You aren't the boss, but you are a half a rung higher up the ladder. Put yourself in Idzik's shoes:  Sure it sucks not being able to fire Rex or boss him around (but he did supposedly force them to start Geno), but it sure beats having to report to a paranoid psycho - which most coaches are.   

More the pay than the structure imo. 

On 5/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Truthfully: Gase is in full control and will get what he wants. CJ cannot resist and is smitten by the Gase's eyes.

if it came down to a choice of what CJ thought was best for the team, and what Gase thought was best, I am with Adam all the way.  CJ does not have a clue about football

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It’s not inherent to the structure being bad necessarily. It’s because the structure puts increased emphasis of control and communication on the owner and we have incapable and unqualified ones. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I added this video to the other thread, will put it here too

Me likey! Saints had 1 of the best drafts EVER in 2017.

1- Marshon Lattimore 2- Ryan Ramczyk 2B- Marcus Williams 3A- Alvin Kamara 3b- Alex Anzalone 3C-Trey Hendrickson. 

They had a lot of high picks but damn, that is a draft! 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It’s not inherent to the structure being bad necessarily. It’s because the structure puts increased emphasis of control and communication on the owner and we have incapable and unqualified ones. 

I actually do think the structure is inherently bad - from a team performance standpoint.  I just don't see why a prospective GM would see it as worse than reporting to Gase or some other douche installed as ""President of Football Operations."  

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Me likey! Saints had 1 of the best drafts EVER in 2017.

1- Marshon Lattimore 2- Ryan Ramczyk 2B- Marcus Williams 3A- Alvin Kamara 3b- Alex Anzalone 3C-Trey Hendrickson. 

They had a lot of high picks but damn, that is a draft! 

Not sure how much input the Director of Pro Scouting would have had in the draft room.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually do think the structure is inherently bad - from a team performance standpoint.  I just don't see why a prospective GM would see it as worse than reporting to Gase or some other douche installed as ""President of Football Operations."  

Because they’ll be paid the same. Gase from all indications is making essentially the league minimum for a HC. How do the Jets lure an up and coming GM candidate without paying him more than that? It’s why we keep settling on guys who end up getting over promoted.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

There's no chance a GM would report to the coach.  The issue here is that many GM candidates want the HC reporting to them, not directly to the owner.  There could be a perception that our previous GM (Maccagnan) was fired in part because of what the new HC was saying directly to his boss, the owner.  In other organizations the conversations between the HC and the Owner would essentially be "skip level" meetings.  It's like if you have a one-on-one with your boss' boss.

I don't think the reporting structure should be a show-stopper but I can see how an elite GM candidate would frown upon a situation where he doesn't have the HC reporting to him.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's no chance a GM would report to the coach.  The issue here is that many GM candidates want the HC reporting to them, not directly to the owner.  There could be a perception that our previous GM (Maccagnan) was fired in part because of what the new HC was saying directly to his boss, the owner.  In other organizations the conversations between the HC and the Owner would essentially be "skip level" meetings.  It's like if you have a one-on-one with your boss' boss.

I don't think the reporting structure should be a show-stopper but I can see how an elite GM candidate would frown upon a situation where he doesn't have the HC reporting to him.

There are GMs that report to the coach.  It is generally going to be guy's with a better resume than Gase, but it happens.  I think Reid and Belichick have that arrangement,  Parcells did.  Chip Kelly.  There was an article (probably in this thread) that said Mangini had it in Cleveland.  Sure, an elite GM candidate is going to want to run the show, but anybody willing to report to a coach would be willing to report to the owner. 

• Upvote 1

That too. Reading the tea leaves already it sounds like Douglas is probably out. The Jets make this more difficult than it needs to be. The reporting structure alone just continues to leave no one truly in charge. We don't even know which owner is in charge.

Where is that even coming from? We haven’t heard of his specific interview date so he is out? That makes little sense to me. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks...this may have talked a few guys off the ledge.?

What I heard...

"The Jets have five legitimate GM candidates"

"Douglas to interview next week"

Good enough for me.  Not sure why this process has to be rushed in the eyes of some people.

• Upvote 1