RIP Bart Starr

Lol Dude goes to the great beyond, the great mystery. Into the ultimate truth.

What he did as a football  player is the most  meaningless aspect of his life. It's  like when you pass on. People won't  be talking  about what a punctual employee  you were. It's incredibly  unimportant in the mystery  that  is life...the thing that's  called life.  He stopped playing  40 years ago. It has nothing  to do with who he is or was as a man. Being a jock didnt /doesn't  make him important. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Dude, what the hell is wrong with you??  Do you have an edit button at all?  This thread is not about you and your senseless existential ramblings.  

Didn’t you get any attention at home?  Mommy didn’t breast feed you?

Damn, RIP Mr. Starr, thank you for a great career and a life well lived.  You brought joy to others.  

Where in the hell was I talking about me?

I was talking about the ultimate  truth of life. Youre the one thinking  with emotion and making it personal. 

10 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Dude, what the hell is wrong with you??  Do you have an edit button at all?  This thread is not about you and your senseless existential ramblings.  

Damn, RIP Mr. Starr, thank you for a great career and a life well lived.  You brought joy to others.  

You can disagree with what he wrote but this is over the line. He was basically saying who we are as people is more important than what some people are famous for.

No reason to make Mother jokes at him.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Joe Namath is now the 3rd oldest living Super Bowl winning QB behind Len Dawson and Roger Staubach 

Also the only living Bama QB to win a Super Bowl (RIP Starr and Stabler)

As you know Starr was part of the trivia question " What do the 1st 3 Super Bowl winning QB's have in common? "

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

As you know Starr was part of the trivia question " What do the 1st 3 Super Bowl winning QB's have in common? "

Are you counting Starr twice?  If not what is the answer since Dawson is the third qb to win a SB?

Interesting philisophical musings about life. And that's appropriate in a thread about someone who has passed on. We should do this more often in the off season. It may give us perspective when the season starts and will come in handy when we get depressed or suicidal. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

it is never too late. :)

• Upvote 1

Part of my football card collection of some 50 yrs ago includes 12 cards with part of a player on the back of each. I have the complete Bart Starr poster. Also have Len Dawson poster. I share this so I won't have to repost when Len dies.

RIP Mr Starr. You were a class act on & off the field

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, docdhc said:

Are you counting Starr twice?  If not what is the answer since Dawson is the third qb to win a SB?

:rolleyes:   Of course you count Starr twice since he won SB I and SB II with Namath wining SB III. WTF ?

15 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Lol Dude goes to the great beyond, the great mystery. Into the ultimate truth.

What he did as a football  player is the most  meaningless aspect of his life. It's  like when you pass on. People won't  be talking  about what a punctual employee  you were. It's incredibly  unimportant in the mystery  that  is life...the thing that's  called life.  He stopped playing  40 years ago. It has nothing  to do with who he is or was as a man. Being a jock didnt /doesn't  make him important. 

The irony of this post and your screename is delicious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Uhhhh, Hele...uhhhhh, woah. Hello Hellen, did your hear? Sam looks great in camp. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The ultimate truth of life is based on what you did with it. Experiences and the effect you had on the people around you define your exsistence and legacy. Bart Start will be remembered for his football career by the public. He will be remembered by his family and loved one for the effect his exsistence had on them. To the general public he will be remembered for being Bart Start QB. To his family and friends he will be remembered as Father Husband and Friend. To say one doesn't matter in the great scheme of things is incredibly short sighted and petty IMO.

Bart Starr's legacy to the public will be as a Green Bay Packer. His legacy to his Family will be as a loved one. I can't speak to his everyday relationship with them but he did have an effect on them and so did his football career. Good or bad I can't say but to disparage either lessens the man's memory. His football career may have not defined him but certainly was part of who he was. The Great Truth of Life as you put it is different for everyone. Your take on it will be different from another person's. We are all different people and what is important to someone else may be trivial to someone else. It doesn't lessen the importance of it. Perception is the operative thing here IMO. Which as we all know is different for everyone.

So RIP Bart Starr. My condolences to your Family.

Damn, that’s how you do it!! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Interesting philisophical musings about life. And that's appropriate in a thread about someone who has passed on. We should do this more often in the off season. It may give us perspective when the season starts and will come in handy when we get depressed or suicidal. 

*hungry 

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The ultimate truth of life is based on what you did with it. Experiences and the effect you had on the people around you define your exsistence and legacy. Bart Start will be remembered for his football career by the public. He will be remembered by his family and loved one for the effect his exsistence had on them. To the general public he will be remembered for being Bart Start QB. To his family and friends he will be remembered as Father Husband and Friend. To say one doesn't matter in the great scheme of things is incredibly short sighted and petty IMO.

Bart Starr's legacy to the public will be as a Green Bay Packer. His legacy to his Family will be as a loved one. I can't speak to his everyday relationship with them but he did have an effect on them and so did his football career. Good or bad I can't say but to disparage either lessens the man's memory. His football career may have not defined him but certainly was part of who he was. The Great Truth of Life as you put it is different for everyone. Your take on it will be different from another person's. We are all different people and what is important to someone else may be trivial to someone else. It doesn't lessen the importance of it. Perception is the operative thing here IMO. Which as we all know is different for everyone.

So RIP Bart Starr. My condolences to your Family.

Your career or job has nothing to do with what you did with your life in terms of its true meaning. Football is something he did. Just a pointless act. It helped absolutely no one. It was just something  you saw on tv. It's an external  distraction ment to keep you from thinking about reality and internal truths. 

No, the great truth of life can not be different  for everyone. What ever happens after you die will be the exact  same thing that happens  to everyone else. what ever that is. The great truth of life is not subjective. 

The only people that need to grieve him, is immediate friends and family. If it weren't  for media. You wouldn't know who he was.  Why does media need to keep track of an old jock 40 years after he's done playing? Yet you think his death is something you need to acknowledge and type rest in peace into an unseen and unheard space.

The ultimate truth of life is not based on what you did with it. It has nothing to do with doing anything in the physical, material/materialistic realm. 

Nothing he did on a football field mattered in anyones life ( him making money for his family has nothing  to do with what im saying. Its another materialistic  thing that has nothing to do with it )  it's the only reason you know he existed. 

My point is your are still trying to define things based on a materialistic understanding of a materialistic ,physical  world. 

23 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Your career or job has nothing to do with what you did with your life in terms of its true meaning. Football is something he did. Just a pointless act. It helped absolutely no one. It was just something  you saw on tv. It's an external  distraction ment to keep you from thinking about reality and internal truths. 

No, the great truth of life can not be different  for everyone. What ever happens after you die will be the exact  same thing that happens  to everyone else. what ever that is. The great truth of life is not subjective. 

The only people that need to grieve him, is immediate friends and family. If it weren't  for media. You wouldn't know who he was.  Why does media need to keep track of an old jock 40 years after he's done playing? Yet you think his death is something you need to acknowledge and type rest in peace into an unseen and unheard space.

The ultimate truth of life is not based on what you did with it. It has nothing to do with doing anything in the physical, material/materialistic realm. 

Nothing he did on a football field mattered in anyones life ( him making money for his family has nothing  to do with what im saying. Its another materialistic  thing that has nothing to do with it )  it's the only reason you know he existed. 

My point is your are still trying to define things based on a materialistic understanding of a materialistic ,physical  world. 

Agree to disagree. Obviously we see things differently. Good Luck to you in all you do.

In addition I'm not sure the people of Green Bay Wisconsin will agree with you. To them Starr has had an effect on their lives and in their culture. Just because it means nothing to you it does to them. Your speaking about the great truth of life being the same for everyone is the flaw in your argument. We are all individuals. What we do in this life effects what happens in the next plain of existence according to every major authority on the subject. What the Great Truth of Life is for me has to be different than what it is for you simply because of our individuality. If you can't see that I really don't know what to tell you.

the thing about starr is he wasn't that great as a passer.  he was just a winner.  the guy he beat out was a better passer and there have been many guys who can get out there and wing the ball.  the nfl lost one of the better players to have ever played.

23 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Agree to disagree. Obviously we see things differently. Good Luck to you in all you do.

In addition I'm not sure the people of Green Bay Wisconsin will agree with you. To them Starr has had an effect on their lives and in their culture. Just because it means nothing to you it does to them. Your speaking about the great truth of life being the same for everyone is the flaw in your argument. We are all individuals. What we do in this life effects what happens in the next plain of existence according to every major authority on the subject. What the Great Truth of Life is for me has to be different than what it is for you simply because of our individuality. If you can't see that I really don't know what to tell you.

There is no major  authority  on the topic of death. No one knows what  happens after. NO one. Your perception does not matter. It won't change anything  about it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 3:57 PM, Hackenberg said:

There is no major  authority  on the topic of death. No one knows what  happens after. NO one. Your perception does not matter. It won't change anything  about it. 

Than neither does your's. You can't realistically say that I am right or wrong. I can't say you're right or wrong either. You talk as if you know what the great mystery of life is and you know the answer to the age old question "Why are We here"? Now I don't believe you do and this conversation is getting a little heavy for an internet message board so all I will say is to each his own on this subject.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:55 PM, HelenOfTroy said:

Who's Bart Starr?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Than neither does your's. You can't realistically say that I am right or wrong. I can't say you're right or wrong either. You talk as if you know what the great mystery of life is and you know the answer to the age old question "Why are We here"? Now I don't believe you do and this conversation is getting a little heavy for an internet message board so all I will say is to each his own on this subject.

Lol I didn't say I know the answer. I said no one knows.

i said no one knows. That's not a bias/ false perception. It's  Not an opinion.. What ever happens to one happens to all. Perception  and opinion has nothing  to do with it. There is no- to each his own. 

I can know what the answer is not, without knowing what it is. I know all religions are false. Therefore their defenition of what happens when you die is false. Therefore no one knows. No one can know till the moment.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:39 PM, Hackenberg said:

Lol I didn't say I know the answer. I said no one knows.

i said no one knows. That's not a bias/ false perception. It's  Not an opinion.. What ever happens to one happens to all. Perception  and opinion has nothing  to do with it. There is no- to each his own. 

I can know what the answer is not, without knowing what it is. I know all religions are false. Therefore their defenition of what happens when you die is false. Therefore no one knows. No one can know till the moment.

That's your opinion. You can't state it as fact based on your own argument that no one knows what happens when we die. You said it yourself: No one knows till the moment. You contradict yourself. You say all religions are false so their description of the "afterlife" or what happens when we die is wrong. Then in the next sentence you say no one knows? You see what I'm saying? We can go on and on but you're basically stating some of you're opinions as fact and when you do that you can't be taken seriously.

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

That's your opinion. You can't state it as fact based on your own argument that no one knows what happens when we die. You said it yourself: No one knows till the moment. You contradict yourself. You say all religions are false so their description of the "afterlife" or what happens when we die is wrong. Then in the next sentence you say no one knows? You see what I'm saying? We can go on and on but you're basically stating some of you're opinions as fact and when you do that you can't be taken seriously.

Lol no, it's  not an opinion. No one knows.Know one knows. Know one alive, knows. It's a truth. You can't talk  to the dead, so no one knows. That was so very simple to explain.

If no one knows till they die, lol its not a contradiction. 

All religions are false,  therefore their description  of the afterlife is false. Youre the ultimate pseudo intellectual /anti intellectual. 

Youre spinning a pointless  circle. A lie is a lie ,all descriptions of the after life are lies. It's that simple.