Jets GM Douglas Will Have Early Chance to Show he Means Business

mjm-121617-lionsbears-13jpg-b9b6eb4dee47

Now that the Jets have their general manager in place in Joe Douglas, Jets fans will wait and see just how serious the team is about winning sooner rather than later.  Douglas inherits a roster with very few holes to fill.  His team is set at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, defensive line, inside linebacker, safety and there’s reason to believe things should be just fine at outside linebacker if Jachai Polite plays to his first round potential and Jordan Jenkins mirrors his 2018 production.

This leaves cornerback and the offensive line, specifically center, as the team’s most pressing needs.  As it happens, there are some players who could be available on the market if Douglas is looking to make before the season starts.  Let’s take a look at players Douglas could target to fill the biggest holes on his roster.

CB Darius Slay: Slay is holding out of Lions mini camp because he wants a new deal.  The 28-year-old speedster would be an instant upgrade, but if he’s looking for a new contract after signing a deal two seasons ago that makes him one of the top paid corners this season, how much might he be seeking in a new deal?

CB Trae Waynes: The Vikings are due to be over the league’s cap limit in 2020 and they’ll have some big-ticket players to look to retain.  Moving a player such as Waynes would make life easier on the Vikings front office and there have been rumblings of a possible deal at some point.  

CB Chris Harris Jr.: Harris is another corner who was reportedly being shopped not long ago but he’s 29-years-old and will likely be looking for a long-term deal.  Should the Jets get tied up in another high-priced corner who is likely to start heading downhill in the next season or two?  It would be a gamble, but if Harris played at a high level for three or four seasons, which isn’t impossible, a deal would obviously be worth it for the right price.

C Corey Linsley: Lisley is a high-end young center on a Packers team that just drafted center Elgton Jenkins out of Mississippi State in the round 2 with the 44th overall pick.  If Green Bay thinks that highly of Jenkins, will they be willing to part with Linsley?

LT Trent Williams: Williams is a stud at left tackle and is reportedly seeking a trade as he is at odds with the Redskins and their medical staff.  At 30 years old, it’s not unreasonable to think Williams could give the Jets four or five years of top shelf play.  If the Redskins ship Williams off, they’ll need a left tackle of their own so the Jets could look to include Kelvin Beachum in any such deal.

CB Rasul Douglas: Joe Douglas was part of an Eagles front office that chose Rasul Douglas in the third round of the 2017 draft and has played well as a spot starter.  If he continues to show improvement, the price tag for a young corner such as Douglas could be higher than the Jets would like, but there’s no reason why the new Jets GM shouldn’t call his buddy Howie Roseman to get an idea as to what the price tag might be.

The Joe Douglas has arrived, and in the coming weeks and months we’ll see which players will follow.

The post Jets GM Douglas Will Have Early Chance to Show he Means Business appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
5GY9xVy0GR8

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JetNation said:

C Corey Linsley: Lisley is a high-end young center on a Packers team that just drafted center Elgton Jenkins out of Mississippi State in the round 2 with the 44th overall pick.  If Green Bay thinks that highly of Jenkins, will they be willing to part with Linsley?

LT Trent Williams: Williams is a stud at left tackle and is reportedly seeking a trade as he is at odds with the Redskins and their medical staff.  At 30 years old, it’s not unreasonable to think Williams could give the Jets four or five years of top shelf play.  If the Redskins ship Williams off, they’ll need a left tackle of their own so the Jets could look to include Kelvin Beachum in any such deal.

Either would be heaven sent

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

mjm-121617-lionsbears-13jpg-b9b6eb4dee47

Now that the Jets have their general manager in place in Joe Douglas, Jets fans will wait and see just how serious the team is about winning sooner rather than later.  Douglas inherits a roster with very few holes to fill.  His team is set at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, defensive line, inside linebacker, safety and there’s reason to believe things should be just fine at outside linebacker if Jachai Polite plays to his first round potential and Jordan Jenkins mirrors his 2018 production.

This leaves cornerback and the offensive line, specifically center, as the team’s most pressing needs.  As it happens, there are some players who could be available on the market if Douglas is looking to make before the season starts.  Let’s take a look at players Douglas could target to fill the biggest holes on his roster.

CB Darius Slay: Slay is holding out of Lions mini camp because he wants a new deal.  The 28-year-old speedster would be an instant upgrade, but if he’s looking for a new contract after signing a deal two seasons ago that makes him one of the top paid corners this season, how much might he be seeking in a new deal?

CB Trae Waynes: The Vikings are due to be over the league’s cap limit in 2020 and they’ll have some big-ticket players to look to retain.  Moving a player such as Waynes would make life easier on the Vikings front office and there have been rumblings of a possible deal at some point.  

CB Chris Harris Jr.: Harris is another corner who was reportedly being shopped not long ago but he’s 29-years-old and will likely be looking for a long-term deal.  Should the Jets get tied up in another high-priced corner who is likely to start heading downhill in the next season or two?  It would be a gamble, but if Harris played at a high level for three or four seasons, which isn’t impossible, a deal would obviously be worth it for the right price.

CB Rasul Douglas: Joe Douglas was part of an Eagles front office that chose Rasul Douglas in the third round of the 2017 draft and has played well as a spot starter.  If he continues to show improvement, the price tag for a young corner such as Douglas could be higher than the Jets would like, but there’s no reason why the new Jets GM shouldn’t call his buddy Howie Roseman to get an idea as to what the price tag might be.

The Joe Douglas has arrived, and in the coming weeks and months we’ll see which players will follow.

The post Jets GM Douglas Will Have Early Chance to Show he Means Business appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

5GY9xVy0GR8

Click here to read the full story...

These are darn good suggestions...

Thank you... :) 

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Few holes to fill?

lol. There's a roster to field, and there's certainly some potential at multiple positions, but the team has real holes to fill going forward.

- Jordan Jenkins was PFF's #98 ranked edge rusher in 2018. Or are we no longer touting PFF rankings when we don't like the number? Even if one loves Jenkins for some unknown reason - maybe it's the 7 sacks - he's a UFA next year. The team is already locked into many meh veterans making big bucks thanks to the lack of picks panning out. Polite is supposed to have a high upside, but if there was reason to be so confident in his production already, especially given the high demand for edge rushers, it's doubtful he'd have lasted all the way to our 3rd round pick. Let's see him have a starter-worthy season before we start stroking ourselves over his supposed first round potential. If he's the player that those who passed on him (twice) thought he'd be, then we might have no edge rushers next year.

- Both of the team's offensive tackles are UFAs next year as well. RT doesn't concern me too much, as it isn't a hard position to fill (nor does it require a high pick or QB-lite money to do so), but above average LTs don't just magically appear when you want them to. Typically you need to draft them, and even then they don't play at that above average level right out of the gate.

- The guards and center all have contracts that expire the year after that, if we even want to keep all of them that long. We're fielding last year's backup center as an essentially-unchallenged starter over a guy who bounced on & off Philly's practice squad the last 2 years. Hopefully one of them is awesome, of course, but as of now that's what they are. The only lineman with serious stud talent is a 30 year-old LG coming off his worst season, and the hope is he simply mailed it in because Oakland was effectively tanking the season. 

- The #1 corner may not last past this year (only reason he wasn't cut already is his contract guarantees him the 2019 season at major money). No other corner on the team has had one clearly above average season in his career. Poole gets a lot of love here from people who probably never saw him play more than a couple downs, if even that. He's another one with an embarrassing PFF ranking so we're supposed to ignore it as though those Jets with high rankings are deserved and those with low rankings are graded inaccurately. We'll all get repeated, close looks at what he is soon enough.

- We have a couple young safeties with real talent, though one also has real injury concerns, having sustained IR-level injuries in each of his first 2 seasons. (No he didn't miss any starts to injury as a rookie, but the injury sustained to close out that year lasted well into the following offseason, and then he missed the first few games of year 2 with yet another foot injury in preseason, before injuring his thumb week 6, followed by his shoulder in week 10). Fluke injuries happen, but 3 separate injuries in his last 7 games warrants raising an eyebrow.

- The starting WR trio may be set this year, but it's hardly "set" for the future. The $9MM/year Enunwa has started just 10 total games over the last 2 seasons, and has eclipsed the 500-yard mark exactly once in his career with a lone 850-yard season back in 2016. Robby Anderson is yet another UFA next year; if the team was so convinced they were set with him they'd have locked him up until at least 2024 already. I think he's better than many Jets fans give him credit for being, but there are legitimate behavior red flags. I like Crowder as well, but he's not going to catch 100+ passes, hasn't exactly been a TD machine, and his 170-something pound frame has shown some durability concerns of its own. The only WRs drafted behind them the past 2 years were both already cut early last season. It's not far-fetched to imagine any of our starting 3 missing extended time to injury and/or suspension.

Yes things could all fall into line as we all hope, and new hires who haven't yet failed (or anyway haven't with the Jets) always come with understandable optimism for many fans. But the tone above paints a picture of the Jets fielding the reigning NFL champs minus a CB2, which certainly isn't this Jets team. So many were even more optimistic in August of 2016 after the Fitz and Mo deals were finalized. Let's see who's healthy & in the week 1 starting lineup before checking off all these positions as being set. Right now I'm just enjoying the GM hire, since he hasn't failed at anything yet and isn't named Maccagnan.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I would be happy enough of they would just resign Claiborne

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Clairborne fell off a cliff last year, he was horrible in jump balls & always came in 2nd. CB is a position where it just ends for you & there's a reason he's still a free agent. Every team could use more CBs & this guys sitting on his couch. I'd rather see what Williams can do with what we have & make a deal for another teams CB under cap pressure. 

Football gods grant me 3 wishes......

1) CB - get me decent corner for an absolutely gaping hole

2) Center - get me a decent Center to help what I view as a very talented stable of running backs

3) Health - this team simply isn't deep enough to sustain a major injury bug. Any success in 2019 is contingent upon the Jets starting lineup staying healthy all season and that includes Marcus Maye.

Grant me those 3 things and I'll show you the Jets making the playoffs in 2019

1 hour ago, Jolot said:

We’re set at wide receiver?

I think the three starters are a decent group, but there's nothing behind them. The rosiest picture I can paint there is they have two RBs in Bell and Montgomery who can line up wide, and potentially already have a top shelf TE in Herndon, and maybe the makings of a lot of 2-TE sets should Wesco hit the ground running. 

But yeah, and injury to any of Enunwa, Anderson, and Crowder would be a real problem. Have to hope Burnett takes a big step because there's not much else. Bellamy is 30-years-old, is what he is, and I'm not even sure why he's here. Most of the other guys are here to try out as returners. 

Landing a good CB would be pretty great.

So would landing another good O-Lineman (IMO),

Not much else to chase hard this late tbqh.

I'll go far as to say it's going to be hard to "judge" Douglas till after next year's offseason.  Just not much left to do, realistically, now.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll go far as to say it's going to be hard to "judge" Douglas till after next year's offseason.  Just not much left to do, realistically, now.

Have to agree. 

And what would he be trading to land one of these starters? Next year's draft picks? I think we all want to see the team built thru the draft, not thru high-priced acquisitions. That's the excitement around the new GM and front office; that they're gonna get this drafting thing right. IMHO, they have all seven of their picks and they should keep them, unless they wanna make some moves down next year and add more picks. 

I'd expect Joe Douglas to be watching this week's OTAs very closely, going over the film of all the off season practices after that, consulting with Gase and his staff, scouting all the potential roster cuts around the league, and then filling what they can via the mini-draft. 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than possible trades I agree on the judgment call it will be difficult. Cut down accusations are tough players have options older players might be looking for  a ring more than money. Younger players opportunity that’s where selling a vision will come into play.

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

Re watch the Tennessee, Houston and Green Bay games and tell us if you still feel the same way.

All depends on the price.  He won’t get nearly what he made last year, but at the right price it wouldn’t be terrible.  He made $7 million last year, if he’s still on the street come mid July I would offer him a 1 year prove it deal at around $3-4 million.