Le'Veon Bell won't be playing in Jets preseason opener

Le’Veon Bell won’t be playing in Jets’ preseason opener

August 7, 2019 | 3:43pm

Bell will not play in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Giants at MetLife Stadium, according to a source. He will, however, participate in the pregame warm-ups with his new teammates at his request.

The star running back wants to continue to shake off the rust and get acclimated to his new team after sitting out the 2018 season because of a contract dispute with the Steelers. Bell asked Jets coach Adam Gase if he could warm up with the team even if he was not playing to get some work in and Gase agreed.

Gase has said the Jets will be cautious with Bell’s workload and having him sit out the game against the Giants meshes with that. The Jets starters likely will only play one or two series anyway.

The Jets signed Bell to a four-year, $52.5 million contract in March and are hoping he can be a key piece in their offense and aid in the development of quarterback Sam Darnold.

On Tuesday, Gase talked about how tricky it is with veteran players and the preseason. Throw in Bell’s absence last season and the decision has another major factor.

“It’s tough,” Gase said before citing an example from last year when he coached the Dolphins. “That’s why this is not as easy as, like last year, it was easy — Frank Gore is a great example. I was like, ‘Frank, you are not playing in the preseason.’ He was in my office every day the third preseason game and he was like, ‘I’m playing.’ It’s hard to argue with Frank Gore (laughter). He’s not listening to what I’m saying. He’s just like, ‘I’m playing. I will be dressed whether or not you put me in a game.’ We ended up playing him one series and then he stood next to me for the next two series and says, ‘I’m going back in. I’m going back in.’

“It’s maddening with a guy like that that wants to play that bad and it is a fine line with Le’Veon, he hasn’t played in a year. At the same time, when’s the right time? Is it this game? Is it the next one? Is it the next one? Do we just not play him this preseason? Do we go through the whole time and just give him reps? All those questions are what we keep talking about.”

It is unclear if Bell will play at all this preseason, but he will be a spectator for the opener.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Seriously I think this is BS!!! He should be starting anew and setting an example as one of the leaders on the team. What's he going to get anyway one or two series? 3 touches Maybe? Is he going to break his glass slippers? Just when I started liking this guy SMH.

Do you think this is Bells decision?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Good.  Sit him the entire preseason.  No reason to risk injury.

He's a seasoned vet, and running backs are plug and play for all intents and purposes.  He's getting plenty of reps in practice to gel with the offense.

Bingo 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who do you hate more Le'Veon or Jamal? 

Jamal Adams. LeVeon is actually good. Quid Pro Quo, Clarice: God descends from the sky and says unto you, “Joe, I’m going to make sure the Jets make the playoffs this year...” to which you respond “HELL YA that’s what I like JESUS” But God goes on to say that the Jets will only make the playoffs if you, personally, make out (second base) with one current Jets player for ten full minutes. 

Joe, which Jets player would you pick??? 

A handful of reps in a preseason game? What do they really accomplish?

Give Bell a couple of carries... throw him a pass... maybe ask him to make a block in pass pro. 

Will the above really make a difference come week 1 for an All-Pro that has played RB since high school?  Or are the hundreds of reps in practice this Summer enough?

Every year some important players fall victim to serious injury during a preseason game.

I'm sorry.  Putting Le'Veon Bell on the field for meaningless games at that position makes little sense to me.

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams. LeVeon is actually good. Quid Pro Quo, Clarice: God descends from the sky and says unto you, “Joe, I’m going to make sure the Jets make the playoffs this year...” to which you respond “HELL YA that’s what I like JESUS” But God goes on to say that the Jets will only make the playoffs if you, personally, make out (second base) with one current Jets player for ten full minutes. 

frustrated clint eastwood GIF

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The one who will torture him for 10 or so years, Jamal

We should nominate @T0mShane to represent Jet fans at The President’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony.  

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We should nominate @T0mShane to represent Jet fans at The President’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony. 

Nominate @T0mShane ???????    I wouldn't tell anyone I even knew who he was. Have you been reading some of the stuff he posts. 

Im about ready to put JetNation's most dominating man/woman on IGNORE.