The Polite Question. What’s the answer?

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

Still can't answer the question. LOL. ONE passrusher. 

Peace out JNWC I'm off too watch the fights tonight.

Btw, I’m not up on your millennial lingidy and you’ve used JNWC several times so I looked it up. 

WTF does the Joint Navigation Warfare  Center have to do with anything. 

If you’re insulting me with that, you millennials need to try harder. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Utility vs Potential is how someone has to make these decisions. If the coaches see something in Polite that’s great I hope they can coach it out of him but right now and based on all the evidence in the world he’s working with little potential and little utility.

Wait, you said you weren’t talking about potential. 

Now you are. 

Your hate for Polite has completely confused yourself. 

Polite has 10X the “potential” as a 25 year old failed third round pick.  

Utility pales in comparison.

But you keep spinning.

Yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wait, you said you weren’t talking about potential. 

Now you are. 

Your hate for Polite has completely confused yourself. 

Polite has 10X the “potential” as a 25 year old failed third round pick.  

Utility pales in comparison.

But you keep spinning.

Yourself. 

Lol wut? 

It’s Polite’s potential vs Basham’s utility. You okay? You seem to have deflected yourself into a frenzy.

Just now, kdels62 said:

Lol wut? 

It’s Polite’s potential vs Basham’s utility. You okay? You seem to have deflected yourself into a frenzy.

You don’t even know what you’re talking about. 

Basham’s “utility” is that of a bottom of the roster jag. 

Polite may suck but his potential far outweighs Basham’s minimal utility. 

Basham and Polite both get cut. 

Who gets claimed quicker? And by more teams. 

Be honest with yourself for once. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn’t say they’re at complete odds, but I’ll agree with you that he looks more athletic in his highlights. I don’t think he can play at 240+ pounds, and I think his best path is to take a few months and get into shape at 235-ish. Either he’s incredibly lazy or he’s getting some incredibly bad advice. 

That's my belief. That bad advice cost him big bucks, no question about it. Never heard anything about him being lazy in college, or from Gregg Williams.

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You don’t even know what you’re talking about. 

Basham’s “utility” is that of a bottom of the roster jag. 

Polite may suck but his potential far outweighs Basham’s minimal utility. 

Basham and Polite both get cut. 

Who gets claimed quicker? And by more teams. 

Be honest with yourself for once. 

I think Polite, I hope Polite.

I also never said I’d keep Basham over Polite. I said there’s a lot to actually debate because Polite’s potential isn’t particularly high if you look at the metrics. There are scenarios where Basham makes the roster over Polite but I hope we don’t end up in those scenarios because it means something bad happened. 

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think Polite, I hope Polite.

I also never said I’d keep Basham over Polite. I said there’s a lot to actually debate because Polite’s potential isn’t particularly high if you look at the metrics. There are scenarios where Basham makes the roster over Polite but I hope we don’t end up in those scenarios because it means something bad happened. 

That wasn’t so hard, was it? 

8 minutes ago, genot said:

That's my belief. That bad advice cost him big bucks, no question about it. Never heard anything about him being lazy in college, or from Gregg Williams.

This is what his DC in college said about him: that he’s talented but has some issues that are going to be revealed if he came out early. Given that they’re issues that may have been resolved with another year in school, it’s likely Grantham is referring to immaturity, which was well on display throughout the draft process. Serious prospects don’t show up to the Combine fat and belligerent, then blame others for the fatness. 

“I had DeMarcus Ware and I had Justin Houston and then really Jachai was next as far as twitch, as far as initial burst off the ball,” Grantham said. “But there’s other factors that go into playing that position, and you get a guy that’s a first-round talent that everybody’s gonna evaluate, and they’ve just got to make a decision on where they feel comfortable taking him relevant to everything that’s happened before.”

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

That wasn’t so hard, was it? 

I also said I think Polite makes the roster in the beginning. My whole point has been that if he gets cut it wouldn’t really be that surprising because he lacks potential relative to utility other guys can bring. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is what his DC in college said about him: that he’s talented but has some issues that are going to be revealed if he came out early. Given that they’re issues that may have been resolved with another year in school, it’s likely Grantham is referring to immaturity, which was well on display throughout the draft process. Serious prospects don’t show up to the Combine fat and belligerent, then blame others for the fatness. 

Good post Tom. Yes, i can't disagree with that. He needed people around him to explain and guide him through the pre draft process. Those people failed him. Polite though, bears the ultimate responsibility.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is he that bad? I know he had that trash talk week with Michigan State, but was there other stuff? 

I don't know.  There are lots of things over the years I've seen that just make me think he's s tool.  Small stuff, but enough to make me think "what are you doing?"

Then I've heard and read interviews where he seems like a disingenuous turd.   I can get past the trash talking etc, but he just comes off as phony to me, which is the ultimate put off for me.

• Upvote 1

Here’s the issue. 

We drafted him. Like it or not, we did. He was projected by everyone as a 2-4th round pick. 

We took him. The draft capital has been spent. 

Cutting him now because he didn’t deserve to be picked at that spot in the 3rd round or because Mac drafted him or because Winovich is lighting it up or because past metrics say he can’t possibly succeed or because folks have a personal pride in their draft prowess or because he was a dick throughout the draft process or because he seems lost or because he doesn’t like lasagna or The Godfather is moronic. 

I don’t think anyone here is saying he’s great or going to be great or has the potential to be great. 

Just that it’s too stupidly early to close the book on a raw 21 year old 3rd round pick who may or may not figure it out. 

He’s not bumping a budding super star off the bottom of the roster. 

Let’s give the guy a year. If he sucks THEN rip off his head and piss down his dead skull. 

This roster is not stocked with dudes at the bottom we HAVE to hang onto.  

• Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Also, and not saying this to defend Polite because I'm not defending him but all of Winovich PT is coming against backups no?

I flipped over mid-2nd quarter thinking it would be amusing if Winovich did anything and then he made like six plays by himself over the next four minutes and I started eating ice cream.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan sucked at drafting only players he drafted decent were the sure thing picks other than that he was a bum.

I was on the FIRE MIKE MACCAGNAN train. 

Winovich should have been the pick over Polite. 

Problem with a GM who's a scout first on foresmost; falls in love with potential, a find, being smarter than everyone else, instead of just going with the obvious smart choice. Polite is probably still there later in the draft anyway. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Still can’t answer one question. 

Did you have a draftable grade on him or not. 

Don’t be a fraud. 

Say it. 

He was, in your expert opinion, undraftable. 

Every real NFL GM had him in rounds 2-4. 

But not you. You know better. 

I'm watching the Mets so I can wait. 

It's sad and also pathetic that you have too hide your handle under numerous different names and cant answer my one simple question, which you are now nine pages deep into this thread. Just ONE.

When you have @jetnut upvoting every one of your posts it's about time too put yourself out to pasture. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Here’s the issue. 

We drafted him. Like it or not, we did. He was projected by everyone as a 2-4th round pick. 

We took him. The draft capital has been spent. 

Cutting him now because he didn’t deserve to be picked at that spot in the 3rd round or because Mac drafted him or because Winovich is lighting it up or because past metrics say he can’t possibly succeed or because folks have a personal pride in their draft prowess or because he was a dick throughout the draft process or because he seems lost or because he doesn’t like lasagna or The Godfather is moronic. 

I don’t think anyone here is saying he’s great or going to be great or has the potential to be great. 

Just that it’s too stupidly early to close the book on a raw 21 year old 3rd round pick who may or may not figure it out. 

He’s not bumping a budding super star off the bottom of the roster. 

Let’s give the guy a year. If he sucks THEN rip off his head and piss down his dead skull. 

This roster is not stocked with dudes at the bottom we HAVE to hang onto.  

I don't think one person here is arguing that premise. None of us want him too fail because he's now a Jet. We're only arguing his merit as a player going forward.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's sad and also pathetic that you have too hide your handle under numerous different names and cant answer my one simple question, which you are now nine pages deep into this thread. Just ONE.

When you have @jetnut upvoting every one of your posts it's about time too put yourself out to pasture. 

Oh poor RobR can’t accept you’re not a draft pro. 

Polite gets cut tomorrow and zero teams put in a waiver claim? 

So again, answer one simple question. 

You did not have a draftable grade on Polite. 

Yet every real NFL team did. 

Oh, and I don’t look at upvotes or downvotes or butt fumbles or whatever you millennials call them. 

I’m not a child.