So ... This Patriots Defense

Patriots defense is very good. Patriots are part of the reason those offenses are ranked so low that they played. Wont be easy but we can and will score on them. We're gonna need to win the turnover battle to win this game. I do see the Jets winning a close game 20-17.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Also, they seem to have benefited from an unusual number of pick 6s (two against the dolphins alone), fumble returns, and blocked punts. Those plays are somewhat random and skew statistics in small sample sizes. 

speaking of which...

have always wondered when they do PTS AGAINST for D purposes...  they dont coundt the INT /FR TD 

or special teama TDS...  do they? cos they oughtn't

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Pfft... get back to me when they gots  the best safety tandem in the game. Go ahead ask their mascot, he knows. 

If only he could hit Brady.  But if he did, Goodell would cut his hands off at mid field and then ban him from the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Rosen, Luke Falk, Josh Allen, Colt McCoy, Daniel Jones.

Other than a washed Big Ben who looks like his career might be over they've played nobody, backups, journeymen, and rookies.

They're obviously awesome, but let's see what we can do.

This. Plus Tomlin has historically eaten sh*t when they play The Pats week 1. 

The scary part is their secondary.  They're five man deep at corner (including 3 in the top 10 in the NFL), and the usual McCourty/Chung/Harmon safety trio that has won multiple superbowls for them.  Couple that with excellent coverage at LB, and its very hard to get anyone open.  This is the most talented and deepest secondary since the legion of boom.

The weakness is their pass rush has taken a hit now that Flowers is gone.  Wise is ok, but he's a situational 3rd down rusher.  Winovich is good but a rookie.  Guy and Simon are more big fat run stuffers.  So when they're in (1st and 2nd down) the pass rush suffers, except when they blitz their lbs. 

Collins, Hightower and VanNoy are all really good at disguising the blitz, and then they hit the A gap really hard.  So a lot of this is on Sam recognizing some pretty exotic blitz and stunt packages.  Hopefully he's up for it.

I think if we can exhaust them, thats our best bet for points.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold will shred the Patriots D.

That would be nice. But, he tends to make an occasional bad read and that defense will be actively baiting him to do so. I think are chances go up if we play with a lead. Our advantages is not much film out On the offense this year and Gates is historically competent against the Pats. Hopefully he got some magic secret voodoo magic shit for them bitches.,

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That would be nice. But, he tends to make an occasional bad read and that defense will be actively baiting him to do so. I think are chances go up if we play with a lead. Our advantages is not much film out On the offense this year and Gates is historically competent against the Pats. Hopefully he got some magic secret voodoo magic sh*t for them bitches.,

Yeah.....Belichick feasting on 1st and 2nd year QBs is going to be a tough trend to buck. I wonder how much of Gase's competent performances were due to him vs. half the Pats downing body shots at Liv until 5AM.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hael said:

The scary part is their secondary.  They're five man deep at corner (including 3 in the top 10 in the NFL), and the usual McCourty/Chung/Harmon safety trio that has won multiple superbowls for them.  Couple that with excellent coverage at LB, and its very hard to get anyone open.  This is the most talented and deepest secondary since the legion of boom.

The weakness is their pass rush has taken a hit now that Flowers is gone.  Wise is ok, but he's a situational 3rd down rusher.  Winovich is good but a rookie.  Guy and Simon are more big fat run stuffers.  So when they're in (1st and 2nd down) the pass rush suffers, except when they blitz their lbs. 

Collins, Hightower and VanNoy are all really good at disguising the blitz, and then they hit the A gap really hard.  So a lot of this is on Sam recognizing some pretty exotic blitz and stunt packages.  Hopefully he's up for it.

I think if we can exhaust them, thats our best bet for points.

Good analysis.  For all the complaining about our lack of an edge rusher, the Pats generate sacks without one by being disciplined with their rush lanes and responsibilities.  Van Noy, Collins and Hightower are all excellent overall players and our Oline is going to need to communicate very well to prevent free rushers.  

I know its crazy to say but im expecting our defense to play very well against Brady.  Q has improved a lot the past 2 weeks and going against Ted Karras and Joe Thuney is a lot different then Jason Kelce, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin so I really think this could be his breakout game.  

Sony Michel has also been a disappointment as he is a RB that works best in an I formation getting whats blocked for him.  With no TEs or FB the pats can't generate holes for him and he isnt elusive enough to make people miss.  The guy I worry about is James White and I would love to see Adams essentially follow him around the field.

In coverage, we should double Edelman the entire game and play everyone else in single coverage and drop our LBs hoping to get to brady by only rushing 4.  

An upset would really be exciting for this team.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That would be nice. But, he tends to make an occasional bad read and that defense will be actively baiting him to do so. I think are chances go up if we play with a lead. Our advantages is not much film out On the offense this year and Gates is historically competent against the Pats. Hopefully he got some magic secret voodoo magic sh*t for them bitches.,

Can you explain what you mean by "historically competent"? His 2-5 record as a HC w/one of those wins being a miracle finish doesn't impress me but I'm only looking at the record.

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Interestingly, we tied with the Giants for most points scored against them so far and that was with Falk at the helm. If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

The Patriots put up a combined 65 points against the Jets and Giants.  Don't you think it is possible the Pats slipped into bend-don't-break?  That differential, btw, is greater than the season's differential for all teams except the other undefeated team.  

Just now, wizwor said:

The Patriots put up a combined 65 points against the Jets and Giants.  Don't you think it is possible the Pats slipped into bend-don't-break?  That differential, btw, is greater than the season's differential for all teams except the other undefeated team.  

Sure - but as another poster pointed out, 7 of our points were on the late pick 6 by Adams.

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you explain what you mean by "historically competent"? His 2-5 record as a HC w/one of those wins being a miracle finish doesn't impress me but I'm only looking at the record.

Don’t use the tone with him, Barry. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I feel those 2 wins are pretty much as good as must coaches. I didn't look anything up but Patriots don't really lose that much.  Feel 2-5 against him is competent but not necessarily good.  Around average? 

It's a great Defense but they have not been tested yet. I'm not saying the Jets offense is a powerhouse by any means but Darnold is the kind of QB (if the O0line holds up) who can score on the Pats and create some extended drives to give the defense some time to rest. If our defense plays well this will be a close game much like the Bills game. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This Pats defense has been historically good for the first third of the season.

• 8 PPG Against (2000 Ravens allowed 11.5  for the season as a point of reference)
  • Only 1 passing TD allowed
  • 25 sacks
  • 14 INTs
  • 5 defensive TD's, 2 Special Teams TD's (punt block ->6)
  • < 14% 3rd down conversion

The opponents (ranked by offensive YPG):

• Steelers (29th) (with Roethlisberger) - 3 points allowed
  • Dolphins (31st) - 0 points allowed
  • Jets (32nd) - 14 points allowed
  • Bills (10th) - 10 points allowed
  • Redskins (28th) - 7 points allowed
  • Giants (24th) - 14 points allowed

The opponents have been weak, but they can only play who is put in front of them and so far they have absolutely smothered the competition. It's going to be tough sledding no matter how you slice it here. Interestingly, we tied with the Giants for most points scored against them so far and that was with Falk at the helm. If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

Dude your offense scored 0 against them. Your defense and special teams scored. Do you watch the games. Seriously. Granted it was without Darnold but to imply that your offense scored those points is a reach.

25 minutes ago, Mastenpark said:

Dude your offense scored 0 against them. Your defense and special teams scored. Do you watch the games. Seriously. Granted it was without Darnold but to imply that your offense scored those points is a reach.

When Luke Falk is starting the dosage on the prescription beer goes way up.  I forgot how we scored, kill me.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Im just so happy Brady does not look good, like at all. Let their defense carry them. They have played trash teams so far. That said, they are a good defense. The decline of brady has been beautiful to watch.

A lot of people are getting this confused. Although there's been a drop it's not the slope others are claiming. He has been without his starting Oline since week 2 and he hasn't had much for recievers... 

All that plays a part...

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I feel those 2 wins are pretty much as good as must coaches. I didn't look anything up but Patriots don't really lose that much.  Feel 2-5 against him is competent but not necessarily good.  Around average? 

I’ve always wondered how much the Miami heat has to do with that. Belichick’s teams have struggled in Miami historically, even before Gase; and especially in Nov and Dec games.

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This Pats defense has been historically good for the first third of the season.

• 8 PPG Against (2000 Ravens allowed 11.5  for the season as a point of reference)
  • Only 1 passing TD allowed
  • 25 sacks
  • 14 INTs
  • 5 defensive TD's, 2 Special Teams TD's (punt block ->6)
  • < 14% 3rd down conversion

The opponents (ranked by offensive YPG):

• Steelers (29th) (with Roethlisberger) - 3 points allowed
  • Dolphins (31st) - 0 points allowed
  • Jets (32nd) - 14 points allowed (no offensive points for Jets)
  • Bills (10th) - 10 points allowed
  • Redskins (28th) - 7 points allowed
  • Giants (24th) - 14 points allowed

The opponents have been weak, but they can only play who is put in front of them and so far they have absolutely smothered the competition. It's going to be tough sledding no matter how you slice it here.  If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

fk their defense in their mutha fking a... I wish our entire offense was healthy going into this game....