So ... This Patriots Defense

This Pats defense has been historically good for the first third of the season.

• 8 PPG Against (2000 Ravens allowed 11.5  for the season as a point of reference)
  • Only 1 passing TD allowed
  • 25 sacks
  • 14 INTs
  • 5 defensive TD's, 2 Special Teams TD's (punt block ->6)
  • < 14% 3rd down conversion

The opponents (ranked by offensive YPG):

• Steelers (29th) (with Roethlisberger) - 3 points allowed
  • Dolphins (31st) - 0 points allowed
  • Jets (32nd) - 14 points allowed (no offensive points for Jets)
  • Bills (10th) - 10 points allowed
  • Redskins (28th) - 7 points allowed
  • Giants (24th) - 14 points allowed

The opponents have been weak, but they can only play who is put in front of them and so far they have absolutely smothered the competition. It's going to be tough sledding no matter how you slice it here.  If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Rosen, Luke Falk, Josh Allen, Colt McCoy, Daniel Jones.

Other than a washed Big Ben who looks like his career might be over they've played nobody, backups, journeymen, and rookies.

They're obviously awesome, but let's see what we can do.

I was surprised to see the Bills had the 10th ranked offense. I don't think too highly of Allen but that unit is moving the ball well.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• 8 PPG Against (2000 Ravens allowed 11.5  for the season)
  • 25 sacks
  • 14 INTs

• Jets (32nd) - 14 points allowed

The opponents have been weak, but they can only play who is put in front of them and so far they have absolutely smothered the competition. It's going to be tough sledding no matter how you slice it here. Interestingly, we tied with the Giants for most points scored against them so far and that was with Falk at the helm. If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

FYI, 7 of the Jets points weren't scored against their defense.

I think if Gase calls for a plan with a 65:35 pass ratio and Sam can take that step we're all hoping he takes, we'll win this game.

Trying to establish/relying on Leveon will be a recipe for disaster. Belichick will put all his marbles on stopping Lev and disguising coverages for Sam, but don't think he'll blitz him too much.

• Upvote 1

They look awesome, but it is still early in the season and their opponents have been awful. 

You can't take anything away from them, because they have done everything that is expected of them and then some, but I want to wait until they have played some better offenses before comparing them to teams like the 2000 Ravens. 

Also, they seem to have benefited from an unusual number of pick 6s (two against the dolphins alone), fumble returns, and blocked punts. Those plays are somewhat random and skew statistics in small sample sizes. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

They look awesome, but it is still early in the season and their opponents have been awful. 

You can't take anything away from them, because they have done everything that is expected of them and then some, but I want to wait until they have played some better offenses before comparing them to teams like the 2000 Ravens. 

Also, they seem to have benefited from an unusual number of pick 6s (two against the dolphins alone), fumble returns, and blocked punts. Those plays are somewhat random and skew statistics in small sample sizes. 

I use the 2000 Ravens more as a point of reference than a comparison. FWIW - the 00 Ravens had given up about 11 PPG at this point but that included 3 shutouts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I use the 2000 Ravens more as a point of reference than a comparison. FWIW - the 00 Ravens had given up about 11 PPG at this point but that included 3 shutouts.

Right. 

And, to me, what made that Ravens defense truly special is what they did in the playoffs. They gave up one offensive touchdown in 4 playoff games, including humiliating one of the best offenses in the league in the AFC Championship game. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The 2000 Ravens played a really weak schedule too.  And that was a weird year for the NFL.  Like there was a shortage of offensive talent across a bunch of teams.  When you look at the numbers, the 2000 Titans wasn't that far behind the Ravens in a lot of categories. 

Still an historically great D, but definitely a tier below the '85 Bears.  Then again, pretty much all defenses all-time were a tier below the '85 Bears...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• 8 PPG Against (2000 Ravens allowed 11.5  for the season as a point of reference)
  • 25 sacks
  • 14 INTs

• Jets (32nd) - 14 points allowed

The opponents have been weak, but they can only play who is put in front of them and so far they have absolutely smothered the competition. It's going to be tough sledding no matter how you slice it here. Interestingly, we tied with the Giants for most points scored against them so far and that was with Falk at the helm. If we have a lot of offensive success against this team the sky is the limit.

And given its over a short period of time, against some lame offenses, like ours with Falk comparing them to the 2000 Ravens is just about useless.  

5 of the 6 games are pretty bad offenses.

Yeah, you can only play who's in front of you but you also dont try to compare them to one of the best Ds of all time and the numbers they put together over 16 games

Did we go through this already?  I feel like deja vu, lol

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

The 85 bears wouldn't be the 85 bears in today's NFL - it was mostly before the WCO took over the league.

this is true about the 46 defense but Gold Jacket types such as Hampton Dent Singletary would be accepted by any NFL team 

• Upvote 3

I posted this on another thread - 

From what tape I've seen of Brady this year, I think he's on that Payton Manning-esque path of decline. On his deep throws, I saw him really need to step into them to get anything on them. As others have mentioned, taking Edelman out of the game is a big piece of an upset, because those may be the only type of throws he can still reliably serve up. Couple this with an inside rush to force Brady to move and throw without his feet set under him might reveal his declining skills and pocket quickness.

On offense, we just need to execute better - run and pass. A better running attack also keeps Giselle off the field.

That said, those god*amn refs better not baby his a$$, and actually call holding on his OL, and not throw flags for pansy roughing calls on the Jets.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

I expect it to be a real tough competitive game. I think monday night everyone gets to see who the jets were supposed to be before all the injuries...

Brady and that offense gets tested and I won't be surprised if they don't get roughed up a bit.

Technically mono isn’t an injury. More of a lifestyle plague. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

IT's a good defense but the offenses they've faced have been terrible.   They have played the 3 worst and 6 of the worst 9. They havent played a single offense which could even call average. I suspect they will come down a lot in the rankings by year end

By DVOA

Steelers - 24

Phins - 32

Jets - 31

Bills - 26

Redskins - 30

GIants 25

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pfft... get back to me when they gots  the best safety tandem in the game. Go ahead ask their mascot, he knows. 

I was reading on the chiefs message board that if the jets were to put anybody on the trading block that

Adams 

Robby Anderson

And

Leonard Williams

Were on their wish list.

1 minute ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

I was reading on the chiefs message board that if the jets were to put anybody on the trading block that

Adams 

Robby Anderson

And

Leonard Williams

Were on their wish list.

Robby is not going anywhere. More likely than not either is Adams. Has Willians left yet?