Could someone please lay out the argument for season ticket ownership?

52 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I know a lot of people have seats, I have family that goes back decades with them, we have had great memories with people who are no longer with us and the Jets made up a lot of those moments. but for crying out loud people.

If you buy season tickets you’re a fool. Not only can get seats for pennies on the dollar.  If your fire department or your doctor or anyone else you expected to perform a service, even your ******* gardener, let weeds grow in your lawn for summer after summer, would you keep hiring them?

Who actually expected this to go any differently? I didn’t watch a second of this game and I don’t regret it for a minute. I polished up my resume and played with my kids.

This team for 8 years now has shown absolutely, and I mean completely, no interest in actually bettering themselves. You could argue longer but I’ll give woody a break on hiring Rex from a hot Ravens squad.  

I'm interested to know why people keep supporting this. Vote with your feet. Make these Front office assholes who market phrases like “Jet Up” instead of completely restructuring the organization dump unsold seats on Ticketmaster so you can do what You’d do with anything else that was garbage, buy low or don’t buy at all. 

I'm sorry again because I know I offended a lot of you. But come on. Money makes things happen. Stop giving your money away. 

2014-07-08-4-surprising-facts-about-aspartame-you-dont-know-but-should-brain-damage.gif

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It’s essentially a five-figure donation to a billion-dollar corporation, so the only defense is that it allows you to affect a posture of superiority on a message board. 

So far as I see it the only argument to be made for buying into the season ticket model, both PSL and non-PSL, is when it’s for a consistent playoff team. That way you can make your money back on games you can’t go to and you’re guaranteed not to get taken to the cleaners on playoff tickets. 

There is no other possible justification.  Even if you like to sit in a certain spot in a certain section, almost everything is always available on the resellers market for under face value. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

For me it’s simple.  The friendships I’ve made attending games since 1991 when I was 11 years old is more important than how terrible the team is.  

I also am married and have a 2.5 year old son.  When he’s older he will attend games with me and it will be our father son time.  For now it’s my 8 Sundays a year to get out of the house.  The dates are on the calendar 5 months in advance. The tailgates are still fun.  The Jets on the other hand stink.   

I am the same on the friendship etc. but I 100% promise you can get basically the same seats on the secondary market. 

Gave it all up when the PSLs first were imposed. Don't regret it at all. Now, on a sub-freezing day, I can sit at home and scream at the tv while staying warm and avoiding traffic. The Jets don't deserve my travel time, my money, or my lack of comfort. Period. End of story. As for Darryl Roberts, he can kiss my 51 year disappointed and angry-fan a$$! He knows nothing, and he plays and writes the same way. He's a college graduate, huh? Yeah, right! Somebody should be prosecuted for having passed him off as a "student." Hemmingway, he's not.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

For me it’s simple.  The friendships I’ve made attending games since 1991 when I was 11 years old is more important than how terrible the team is.  

I also am married and have a 2.5 year old son.  When he’s older he will attend games with me and it will be our father son time.  For now it’s my 8 Sundays a year to get out of the house.  The dates are on the calendar 5 months in advance. The tailgates are still fun.  The Jets on the other hand stink.   

This. 

My son went to his first game when he was 4. He started going to every game when he was 5. He wasn't allowed to go to night games back then but he went to every other game. When he was in 5th grade he had to miss two games for basketball. In 6th grade he said I don't want to play basketball. The only other games he missed were when he was playing college football and his coach made the team do Sunday meetings.

They could have lost every game in that time and it still would be worth it for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So far as I see it the only argument to be made for buying into the season ticket model, both PSL and non-PSL, is when it’s for a consistent playoff team. That way you can make your money back on games you can’t go to and you’re guaranteed not to get taken to the cleaners on playoff tickets. 

There is no other possible justification.  Even if you like to sit in a certain spot in a certain section, almost everything is always available on the resellers market for under face value. 

This isn't the only argument. This isn't true. Some people go to every game and don't worry about resale.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

Don't see the issue.

If season tickets bring you joy or family memories, have at it.

If they are causing anyone mental anguish it ain't worth it.

100%

I never tell people YOU HAVE TO GET SEASON TICKETS. People tell me all the time they love watching the games on TV, they hate the cold. Stuff like that. I say, cool, glad that works for you.

I love being outdoors. I love the cold. For me nothing beats being at the games in person. But I don't judge those that think otherwise or call them fools.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Sure, however you can already go to every game without season tickets for significantly cheaper. 

I want to sit in the exact same seat every game. I want to have my parking pass in advance so I can park in the same lot. And I don't want to spend hours each week price shopping out tickets.

Saving money by buying individual game tickets probably works for some people. Being in the same spot next to people I have become friends with far outweighs any cost savings so I am not worried about that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I want to sit in the exact same seat every game. I want to have my parking pass in advance so I can park in the same lot. And I don't want to spend hours each week price shopping out tickets.

Saving money by buying individual game tickets probably works for some people. Being in the same spot next to people I have become friends with far outweighs any cost savings so I am not worried about that.

I didn’t mean to be insulting or put you on the defensive. I was speaking mostly in terms of cost. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I didn’t mean to be insulting or put you on the defensive. I was speaking mostly in terms of cost. 

Too late. Now we are going to fight.

<--- looks at who posted this.

EDIT: WE GOOD BRO.

lol.............

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I know you a long time and I know I have a no cursing \ no personal attack rule here but I have to say your post is absolute bullsh*t. I don't like when someone is on the other side of anything and they call everyone who disagrees a fool. That just isn't cool.

I will start by saying if you don't want to go, don't go. That is fine. No judgement from the people that go each week. Just stay home and work on your resume. I am all set with my job so instead of doing my resume I am just going to watch and go to the Jets games. Thanks for telling me what to do but I didn't ask for advice.

I bought tickets in 1988. I go every week. I have missed 3 home games in all those years. I go with my son. We have a great time and plan vacations around it. My son is 24 and I will tell you what, we are really close and we spend a lot of time together. So if I am a fool then so be it because I know a lot of parents that would like to be as close to their kids as I am. I went with my Dad when I was in college until I was in my 30s. We spent time each week, talking and bonding over the Jets.

I have made life long friends because I sat next to people in the old stadium. Have made really good friendships by sitting next to people each week in the news stadium.

Stop wasting my money? I would bet that I work more hours each week than most people here. I am finally at the point in life where the financial aspects of Jets ticket ownership is nothing I even worry about. So even when they lose, it isn't a waste of money.

I wish they won more. I want them to be good as much as anyone. But don't tell me not to go to games just because you don't want to. That is B.S.

I’m sorry I offended you. I was replying to a post that was generally ranting about the state of the franchise and then with the way the post was forming I ended up starting my own thread. I share almost the same experience you and your son have as the son of a STH from back at Shea. I say to him consistently, you guys are smart guys and can buy this stuff for pennies and get the same experience. Not everyone is as financially secure where they can buy preseason at face value for a team that has no interest in getting better. Unfortunately we have seen friends drop off the wagon for this reason. We STILL have five seats. So it’s not like our money isn’t where our our mouth is. But since my career became entrepreneurial, I haven’t felt the same as I once did. I feel like my dollars should be earned as I myself go and earn them. 

what my post boils down to is that bitching and continuing to pay face value and go is like self flagellation. If you aren’t bitching, this post wasn’t for you. Sorry about my choice in words. You were not the intended audience. 

• Upvote 1