Big Game for Darnold

HawkeyeJet

I hear you, but he’s gonna make mistakes, all qbs do. He’s going to throw an interception at some point, all of them do. He has played incredibly well the last month or so. He needs to continue to be aggressive and trust his ability, that ability has pulled out of the depths after the ghost game. He posesses everything you want in a qb. He just needs to out it all together. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Now I understand the winless Bengals shouldn't present the same overall challenge as the Raiders, but I am very interested in how he plays this week, specifically in the ball security area.

Oakland and Cincinnati have equally bad pass defenses, they are 30 and 31 by DVOA

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Cant we just appreciate what were seeing without every week being a "big week" or a "litmus test" week?

He's playing great, has been good to great for weeks.  

Its like we can't believe what we saw a week ago, keep saying he has to do it next week....and the next week...next week.....

Sounds like some posters talking about Adams. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This week is going to give me an ulcer. The Bengals suck, but they're not terrible. They lost by 1 point to the Seahawks, by 4 to the Bills, by a measly six in their first meeting with the Ravens, and they just held the Raiders and Steelers under 17 points in back to back weeks. They're primed to get their first win, and with Dalton coming back, this could be a rough game for us. That said, it'd be huge for the stigma around this team if they could get through the next two weeks with wins, and with Darnold looking non-sh*tty. After that, they go to Baltimore on Thursday night where they'll get absolutely walloped, so getting to that game winning two in a row will be crucial from a general aesthetic perspective, 

Enjoy your week, this is how bad teams lose.  And always find a way to lose.  Its why they're bad.

Hey, we're 9 points from being 6-6, right?

41 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think this week will be a huge glimpse into the growth of Darnold.

Now I understand the winless Bengals shouldn't present the same overall challenge as the Raiders, but I am very interested in how he plays this week, specifically in the ball security area.

Towards the end of last week when Sam was rolling, I'm talking the last few drives, I noticed he  tried fitting in a few throws he probably shouldn't have.  They ended up being incomplete, but in my mind it seemed like "let the b good times roll" types of throws.  It was only 2, so not a huge deal in the grand scheme of last week.

I'm curious as to how Sam's decision making will look this week.  He's playing as good as he ever had, and I imagine his confidence is at an all time high.  Pair that with an inferior opponent, and I could easily see how we could see a few mistakes where he tries to do too much.

If he doesn't fall into that mental trap however and he still values the ball like he has the past few weeks, that would speak volumes for his development in my mind.  At least as far as the decision making goes.

Darnold needs to come out and dominate the no-account Bengals.  That would be a statement.

If Sam flounders or plays poorly, that too would be a statement.

As a Jets Fan, I am programmed to be fearful of this game, meaninglee to 2019 as it is, because SOJ.

But I think Sam can and will beat the Bengals handily.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This week is going to give me an ulcer. The Bengals suck, but they're not terrible. They lost by 1 point to the Seahawks, by 4 to the Bills, by a measly six in their first meeting with the Ravens, and they just held the Raiders and Steelers under 17 points in back to back weeks. They're primed to get their first win, and with Dalton coming back, this could be a rough game for us. That said, it'd be huge for the stigma around this team if they could get through the next two weeks with wins, and with Darnold looking non-sh*tty. After that, they go to Baltimore on Thursday night where they'll get absolutely walloped, so getting to that game winning two in a row will be crucial from a general aesthetic perspective, 

37 minutes ago, CTM said:

Oakland and Cincinnati have equally bad pass defenses, they are 30 and 31 by DVOA

Toms post is another reason not to overemphasize any specific metrics. Metrics can always be cherry picked to suit a stance.

Besides, the Jets by almost everyone's account here, have a bottom 3 roster in the NFL. Hell, there were parties in the streets when Macc was rightfully handed his walking papers for this reason.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Cant we just appreciate what were seeing without every week being a "big week" or a "litmus test" week?

Its like we can't believe what we saw a week ago, keep saying he has to do it next week....and the next week...next week.....

Jets fans: call the Bengals a 'big game' for Darnold so it seems like winning proves something

Also Jets fans: whine that calling the Bengals a 'big game' is setting the bar too high

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hold up...are you saying that finding a quarterback and getting him to play well is significantly more important than acquiring even the best safety of all time? 

Well given that finding a quarterback and getting him to play well is significantly more important than acquiring any other position 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hold up...are you saying that finding a quarterback and getting him to play well is significantly more important than acquiring even the best safety of all time? 

I’m saying finding a QB, protecting him and putting players around him is more important then OLB, DE, ED, CB, FS, SS, ILB, CL, HG (except for crusher), BG or anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

i need to appreciate the ground breaking performances that led us to 4-7 more....

They were 1-7 at the mid point-  There were obvious reasons for that horrible start-  Line and Sam and multiple injuries.

Started second half 3-0.

What second half  record would make you happy Los?

39 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Jets fans: call the Bengals a 'big game' for Darnold so it seems like winning proves something

Also Jets fans: whine that calling the Bengals a 'big game' is setting the bar too high

My post says absolutely nothing about winning.  Good post though.  

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

They were 1-7 at the mid point-  There were obvious reasons for that horrible start-  Line and Sam and multiple injuries.

Started second half 3-0.

What second half  record would make you happy Los?

hey there, bowles. i AM glad that it's improved. being chastised for not being giddy is another thing. thats all.

Sam is a "streaky" passer... if he's hitting early he'll usually end up playing pretty well the rest of the game if he struggles early he tends to struggle the rest of the game as well... Hopefully he'll be able to overcome that & tend to play well no matter how he the starts.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because consistency is what separates the good from the great. 

3 good weeks is nice but let’s see it continue, especially against weaker opponents. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You’re surprised people want to see consistently good play Going forward?

Does he NOT “have to do it” going forward?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

i've mentioned this a half dozen times at least... how i used to mentally erase Richard Todd's bad games and just foucs on his good games and claim that THOSE GOOD GAMES were who he really was...  until the mudbowl.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I’m surprised after all these games that every game is a test.  He lit up the Raiders.  Litmus test. Enough with every week is a test.  Doesn’t mean anyone doesn’t want consistency.  I want to go into every game not worrying about the QB just like anyone should.  

Every and any QB can and usually will have a drop off game.  It’s part of tgg HC e game