Just who the hell is a GASE PLAYER on offense?

Paradis

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Its funny you mention Landry. No player in the NFL despises Gase as much as him. And his numbers this year were solid right in the range when he had Tannehill. His regression, if any,  is 100% Baker Mayfield.

Now why does Landry despise Gase?  Gase booted him despite his talent. D idnt like him.

Yeah, funny thing is Landry despises Gase because he wouldn't pay him, make him the highest paid WR in football.  Went to Cleveland, because the highest paid WR.  And the most overpaid WR in football all in one move.  

Sounds like his best friend who couldn't stop bitching about the Giants when after they paid him they dumped his ass too.

Not taking anything those two complainers have to say

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, funny thing is Landry despises Gase because he wouldn't pay him, make him the highest paid WR in football.  Went to Cleveland, because the highest paid WR.  And the most overpaid WR in football all in one move.  

Sounds like his best friend who couldn't stop bitching about the Giants when after they paid him they dumped his ass too.

throw adams into the LSU whiner conversation.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Landry had rock solid numbers this year. Not easy to do when you have an inconsistent QB like Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

Here's an honest attempt at an answer: 

AT QB: 

It's notable that Sam Darnold and Trevor Siemian are both similar builds, 6'3" 220 ish.  Gase doesn't favor super tall QBs he wants someone who can move a little and take a hit when he empties the backfield. He also doesn't want Lamar Jackson (or have the wherewithal to know what to do with such a player) 

the Gase qualities for QB are probably more mental, i.e. someone who will bail out the entire team, HC included.  Like Peyton did. 

AT RB: 

Gase wants a better Ty Montgomery with ball security. WR speed, WR hands, gamebreaker slasher zone guy. If Montgomery didn't fumble, he'd have gotten more reps. He doesn't have a ton of use for Bell, and honestly, he's probably the slowest starting RB in the league ATM.  When Jets fans are watching the combine this Feb, ask yourself what Bell runs, today.

AT WR: 

This one is easier than people think, Gase wants studs at WR. Period. He wants high volume YAC guys who can change games. They also must be sharp route runners able to handle variants. Diggs and Thelien would probably the ideal Gase duo, but then again, who wouldn't take these guys? 

The best WR are scheme diverse. Mike Evans fits on all teams. So does Julio Jones. They need a #1. 

AT TE: 

Considering Ryan Griffin is the only Jets player on offense to get an extension mid-year, one would have to consider Griffin his ideal. 6'6" (TALL) 250 a player who can "wall off" block against the run and also get separation from LB and S over the middle on key downs. Ideally Griffin would be a 4.5 player instead of a 4.9 guy but Gase is not expecting the TE to gamebreak.

AT OL: 

This one I am most confident in: Gase wants 4 zone RT and a zone center. Interchangable between guards and tackles. they are all going to be tall (6'5" or above), lengthy, agile players who get to the second level and "get in the way" allowing the RBs to make cuts. He wants pass blockers over run blockers. He doesn't want KO and Winters "in a phone booth" man to man maulers.  He also doesn't necessarily need elite talent (Edoga might be the starting LT this time next season) he just needs them to be athletic pass protectors and be able to step the same direction on runs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

AT QB: 

It's notable that Sam Darnold and Trevor Siemian are both similar builds, 6'3" 220 ish.  Gase doesn't favor super tall QBs he wants someone who can move a little and take a hit when he empties the backfield. He also doesn't want Lamar Jackson (or have the wherewithal to know what to do with such a player) 

the Gase qualities for QB are probably more mental, i.e. someone who will bail out the entire team, HC included.  Like Peyton did. 

AT RB: 

Gase wants a better Ty Montgomery with ball security. WR speed, WR hands, gamebreaker slasher zone guy. If Montgomery didn't fumble, he'd have gotten more reps. He doesn't have a ton of use for Bell, and honestly, he's probably the slowest starting RB in the league ATM.  When Jets fans are watching the combine this Feb, ask yourself what Bell runs, today.

AT WR: 

This one is easier than people think, Gase wants studs at WR. Period. He wants high volume YAC guys who can change games. They also must be sharp route runners able to handle variants. Diggs and Thelien would probably the ideal Gase duo, but then again, who wouldn't take these guys? 

The best WR are scheme diverse. Mike Evans fits on all teams. So does Julio Jones. They need a #1. 

AT TE: 

Considering Ryan Griffin is the only Jets player on offense to get an extension mid-year, one would have to consider Griffin his ideal. 6'6" (TALL) 250 a player who can "wall off" block against the run and also get separation from LB and S over the middle on key downs. Ideally Griffin would be a 4.5 player instead of a 4.9 guy but Gase is not expecting the TE to gamebreak.

AT OL: 

This one I am most confident in: Gase wants 4 zone RT and a zone center. Interchangable between guards and tackles. they are all going to be tall (6'5" or above), lengthy, agile players who get to the second level and "get in the way" allowing the RBs to make cuts. He wants pass blockers over run blockers. He doesn't want KO and Winters "in a phone booth" man to man maulers.  He also doesn't necessarily need elite talent (Edoga might be the starting LT this time next season) he just needs them to be athletic pass protectors and be able to step the same direction on runs. 

after OL they need a new rb.  i would not be surprised if they draft one in the 2nd round, but more likely the 3rd.  what was lacking majorly for darnold this year was someone to dump the ball off to and it was made worse when griffen went down and there were no tight ends either.  

• Upvote 2

I believe he likes to O-linemen to run the zone blocking scheme, so guys that are light on their feet and can move and are good in space. Receivers that that super quick are good with YAC so he can execute screens and quick hit plays- this I assume would include great route runners. There was a lot of talk when we first got Gase that he loves TEs, so, you know, Big athletic, play-making TEs? I think all of this goes into the same realm of having a versatile, speedy, super quick RB. 

I feel like a Gase offense is an uptempo offense that is based on a zone blocking scheme with lots of quick hitting plays, speedy playmakers all around with big TEs down the middle of the field. I feel like if he had a choice he wouldn't run the ball at all and only does so to set up the pass. 

But what do I know.     

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Landry had rock solid numbers this year. Not easy to do when you have an inconsistent QB like Mayfield.

Hes nowhere near the player hes getting paid to be.  Hes a slot receiver who put up huge 100+ catch season before Cleveland

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And again my point is that not all of them blossomed because of Gase.  Tannehill doesn't play because hes injured Parker does better when hes not with Cutler or Osweiller.  Drake finally is out of the shadow of a productive HOF back.  Landry is worse off and that's ignored. 

Thats all I'm saying, have to look a little deeper than we hate Gase so...

this is not reality. this is what I'm talking about, people run circles to rationalize Gase actions into something good despite all the the obvious that show he is crap - . Re read your post, it doesn't make any sense.

Parker was not used because gase didn't like him, SIMPLE --- Drake was lightning and wasn't in any shadow, what the hell does that mean? Gase barely let him touch the ball and took him out of games when he was doing his thing. And the most frustrating part for Miami I bet was they could have been winning games, much like we could have been winning games.

And lets not forget when Drake was balling out for those long runs it was because he the player was super talented and broke out of the crappy play call. He out performed his crappy assignment and did crazy athletic moves to break free..

Now all of a sudden you take gase away miami gets good and thier players perform well. It is all coaching. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

AT QB: 

AT RB: 

AT WR: 

AT TE: 

AT OL: 

basically gase just wants an all madden team to run his BS game plan to score those 3-10 points a game. got it.

12 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this is not reality. this is what I'm talking about, people run circles to rationalize Gase actions into something good despite all the the obvious that show he is crap - . Re read your post, it doesn't make any sense.

Parker was not used because gase didn't like him, SIMPLE --- Drake was lightning and wasn't in any shadow, what the hell does that mean? Gase barely let him touch the ball and took him out of games when he was doing his thing. And the most frustrating part for Miami I bet was they could have been winning games, much like we could have been winning games.

And lets not forget when Drake was balling out for those long runs it was because he the player was super talented and broke out of the crappy play call. He out performed his crappy assignment and did crazy athletic moves to break free..

Now all of a sudden you take gase away miami gets good and thier players perform well. It is all coaching. 

It’s a shame a rebuilding Dolphins team could’ve kept Tannehill and Drake, paired with Gaesiki and Parker. Not sure why they broke up such a dynamic offense. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd classify that as more deep threat receivers than more YAC receivers. Everyone likes yards after the catch, even from their possession receivers running shorter routes.

YAC is more about creating separation than merely possessing pure straight-line speed anyway, no? Who doesn't like that?

• The league leader in YAC is Christian McCaffrey (1016).
  • Number 2 is Ekeler (940).
  • Number 3 - a very distant 3rd at that - is Kittle (602). 

Guys averaging 15+ypr who compiled even half the league leader's YAC is Godwin and... Godwin. That's it. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but yards of air doesn't equal YAC. If he likes yards of air, that's different, and would suggest he is less interested in possession receivers running shorter routes.

Yet the team turned down a mid-round pick for another half-season of Anderson - the only deep threat on the team who's a legitimate starter - before he earns his UFA stripes, and the only serious receiver pickup in 2019 was Crowder. Was the Crowder pickup more Macc or more Gase? I don't know, and since Crowder has looked good I doubt you'll hear grumblings from Gase about how he never really wanted Crowder in the first place. 

I think you are missing my point.  i am on my phone so it is probably my fault.

I look at air yards and YAC as both being valuable, but differing ways to make yards.  

With cars we say: fast, reliable and cheap.   Which 2 do you want?  YAC and air yards are like 2 of those.

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

please do. these gase supporters bend over backward to rationalize gase terrible coaching and play calling, but somehow miss the most obvious, Everyone gets worse when gase is in charge, he doesnt know how to use players talents, which is why every one get better when he leaves.

And the worse part is it is not hard to see. I mean look at our team, first thing he does is not run Bell hard, not let sam use his streghth with roll outs  or even give him extra protection in either personnel or scheme.

Its silly. Gase give us the worst off in the league and we got people telling us this piss is water, fdrink up. 

Crazy.

I did it below a few days ago. Notice @T0mShane ducking it and not responding, but carrying on with others in the thread ?

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not taking anything those two complainers have to say

all of which ignores the "coincidence"  of ex-Gase players everywhere you look who each either struggled under Gase or was outright stifled under Gase.  Please.  Spare me.  If ever there was a legit res ipsa loquitor, it is this. Gase has NEVER brought out the best in his players.  Now go ahead and argue Cutler.  This is it for Gase.  If he fails with the Jets he is done.   And it should be patently obvious that he elects NOT to use a scheme best suited to the players he has.  Yet another stubborn, narcissistic coach.  Rex II, only on offense this time.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

all of which ignores the "coincidence"  of ex-Gase players everywhere you look who each either struggled under Gase or was outright stifled under Gase.  Please.  Spare me.  If ever there was a legit res ipsa loquitor, it is this. Gase has NEVER brought out the best in his players.  Now go ahead and argue Cutler.  This is it for Gase.  If he fails with the Jets he is done.   And it should be patently obvious that he elects NOT to use a scheme best suited to the players he has.  Yet another stubborn, narcissistic coach.  Rex II, only on offense this time.

OK

You hate Gase.  

I'm not arguing anything.  

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you are missing my point.  i am on my phone so it is probably my fault.

I look at air yards and YAC as both being valuable, but differing ways to make yards.  

With cars we say: fast, reliable and cheap.   Which 2 do you want?  YAC and air yards are like 2 of those.

As long as we're compiling wish lists, I like slutty and cheap. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Except Rex was good at coaching defense.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except Rex was good at coaching defense.  

If Gase could coach up an offense even half as well as Rex could coach up a defense, I’d stop going around the forums posting stats on stats proving Gase sucks.

This is also working under the weight of the knowledge that both are absolute clowns and suck at being the head football coach of any team. But for all the Gase defenders/apologists, imagine being worse than Rex Ryan. This is what you are standing for.

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Paradis said:

Genuine question for you Gase lovers... Who exactly are we supposed to targeting for "his system..."? 

Every player he coached in MIA got better when he/they left. Tannehill, Drake, Parker - you name 'em. They played better in another system or under another OC. In fact, most of our offensive players outside of Crowder (who lets be honest, is scheme proof) did worse under Gase. 

So who the hell are the Jets supposed to be targeting that will be a "playmaker" under Gase? Dead serious... Who is a "Gase Running Back"... Or WR... or anything? 

I need to know for my mocks ;) 

Gase’s system is the same sort of scam as Mangini’s system. Needing to find these mysterious players that are ideal for a specific system is another way of making excuses for not being talented or flexible enough to coach who you have, but rather pointing to the absence of ‘your system guys’ as a reason for failure.

Mangini did this crap for 3 years on defense, while chasing off Vilma and others who were the last of the only good era of Jets drafting I’ve witnessed.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, Jet Nut said:

Landry was let go inexplicably?  He wanted big bucks, went to Cleveland, became the highest paid WR and fell off a cliff.   

Landry was 9th in the NFL in receiving yards this season.  83 receptions, 1174 w/6 TDs.  

If that is "falling off a cliff", the would you please bring Robby right to the edge of that cliff and throw him off?  Would like some of that to rub off on him. 

Robby was 36th in receiving yards.  52 rec, 779 yards, 5 TDs.  Meh.

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

Landry was 9th in the NFL in receiving yards this season.  83 receptions, 1174 w/6 TDs.  

If that is "falling off a cliff", the would you please bring Robby right to the edge of that cliff and throw him off?  Would like some of that to rub off on him. 

Robby was 36th in receiving yards.  52 rec, 779 yards, 5 TDs.  Meh.

Look at Landrys numbers after signing the biggest contract for a WR.  
What’s Landry making as the 2nd highest paid WR?  Lost 30+ receptions and half of his TD totals.  

Hes not worth what he's being paid
Robby has nothing to do with the conversation.  

On 1/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Paradis said:

Genuine question for you Gase lovers... Who exactly are we supposed to targeting for "his system..."? 

Every player he coached in MIA got better when he/they left. Tannehill, Drake, Parker - you name 'em. They played better in another system or under another OC. In fact, most of our offensive players outside of Crowder (who lets be honest, is scheme proof) did worse under Gase. 

So who the hell are the Jets supposed to be targeting that will be a "playmaker" under Gase? Dead serious... Who is a "Gase Running Back"... Or WR... or anything? 

I need to know for my mocks ;) 

I think SAMMY is a GASE type player? From there, I believe ANY player SAMMY likes and has good chemistry with will in turn be a GASE type player.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Look at Landrys numbers after signing the biggest contract for a WR.  
What’s Landry making as the 2nd highest paid WR?  Lost 30+ receptions and half of his TD totals.  

Hes not worth what he's being paid
Robby has nothing to do with the conversation.  

If Robby had anything remotely close to Landry numbers last year then we wouldn't be having this conversation. He was 9th in the NFL in yards. He is waaaaay better than Robby and worth significantly more .  And you narrative that he "fell off a cliff" is completely wrong.  End of story.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If Robby had anything remotely close to Landry numbers last year then we wouldn't be having this conversation. He was 9th in the NFL in yards. He is waaaaay better than Robby and worth significantly more .  And you narrative that he "fell off a cliff" is completely wrong.  End of story.

We were talking that Landry hated Gase because Gase wouldn't make Landry the highest paid WR in NFL on his watch.  

So I have not idea why we're talking about Robby vs Landry.  

And why youre starting a argument over the comparison 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:37 AM, Integrity28 said:

Mangini did this crap for 3 years on defense, while chasing off Vilma and others who were the last of the only good era of Jets drafting I’ve witnessed.

Only if D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, etc aren't considered good draft picks.  

To be honest, a good coach builds a scheme around the payers he has, he doesn't try to fit players in his scheme. You have a system you want to build as a coach but if you don't have the players to do it, you have to improvise. But I get your point. 

I think we'll have a better idea of the type of player Gase looks for this off season now that Macc is gone. Clearly there was an issue with the guys Macc was targeting last off season. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We were talking that Landry hated Gase because Gase wouldn't make Landry the highest paid WR in NFL on his watch.  

So I have not idea why we're talking about Robby vs Landry.  

And why youre starting a argument over the comparison 

You said Landry fell off a cliff. I say that Hes been fine in Cle. I'd like Robby to fall off the same cliff if he can produce more like Landry