HELP WANTED: Browns Head Coach (We may be dysfunctional, but we're the only HC job left)

This has implications for the jets too.  Been hearing news all offseason that Douglas and others in the organization want to add some help to the offensive staff (possible coaching shakeups on that side).  And there were some people pointing to guys on the eagles staff as possible candidates.  Be interesting to see if any of the rumors playout, but this adds fuel to the fire a little for sure.

What kind of help are you hearing about? That slid right by me.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Shouldn’t they hire a GM first?

Only way any sane human being wants either job right now with the browns is this:

1. I get to bring in my own QB either via free agency (Dalton), trade (Eli) or the draft.  

2. I get to run a legit qb competition in training camp and preseason 

3.  I get to bench Baker when my guy wins the starting job

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Only way any sane human being wants either job right now with the browns is this:

1. I get to bring in my own QB either via free agency (Dalton), trade (Eli) or the draft.  

2. I get to run a legit qb competition in training camp and preseason 

3.  I get to bench Baker when my guy wins the starting job

i don't doubt it.

Have there been any names for foible GM's over there or are they planning to give the farm to Mcdaniels?

42 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

i don't doubt it.

Have there been any names for foible GM's over there or are they planning to give the farm to Mcdaniels?

The browns are a hot mess right now.  They are literally putting all their eggs in the McDaniels basket despite the fact he burned the Colts just last year 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The browns are a hot mess right now.  They are literally putting all their eggs in the McDaniels basket despite the fact he burned the Colts just last year 

Seems that way. I just looked and saw that they asked to interview the right hand of Beane in Buffalo for the GM spot over there. I'd like to see BB lose one more of his important coordinators in all honesty. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Seems that way. I just looked and saw that they asked to interview the right hand of Beane in Buffalo for the GM spot over there. I'd like to see BB lose one more of his important coordinators in all honesty. 

McDaniels is wildly overrated though

If Brady stays in NE he won’t miss him

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

McDaniels is wildly overrated though

If Brady stays in NE he won’t miss him

i feel the same way. That said, he was a HC many years ago now and has been sitting behind the Goat HC for a long time. He's a solid of a pedigree as anyone else out there.  I just wouldn't want him to be the GM.  He didn't exactly nail it in his last gig. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, playtowinthegame said:

I guarantee Josh McDaniels will be named the head coach of the Browns this weekend. It would be a shocker if anyone else were hired. Once the Browns hire McDaniels I can't see Brady staying in New England with another offensive coordinator. Where does Brady go? San Diego or Tennessee? Hmmmm.

Another guarantee?  ?

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, GREENBEAN said:

What kind of help are you hearing about? That slid right by me.

I had heard some things privately that Douglas was pushing to add a new (presumably) OC or QB coach, and either demote or fire loggains.  The idea being that would allow gase to manage the team more and also help with game planning duties so that there arent long stretches of the game without the offense producing.  We'll see where it goes, but thats what I've heard.  

38 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I had heard some things privately that Douglas was pushing to add a new (presumably) OC or QB coach, and either demote or fire loggains.  The idea being that would allow gase to manage the team more and also help with game planning duties so that there arent long stretches of the game without the offense producing.  We'll see where it goes, but thats what I've heard.  

From where?  That is logical and should be expected.  Where is Callahan?

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

That would fascinate me. I have a hard time believing that Gase would relinquish control of the offense though. 

When you say privately do you mean to say you have an in? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That would fascinate me. I have a hard time believing that Gase would relinquish control of the offense though. 

When you say privately do you mean to say you have an in? 

I've made various connections over the course of my career that have allowed me to meet some people and talk with people regularly that have really good insight and information that is more often reliable. I'll leave it at that lol 

Gase would be working with someone, although I highly doubt that someone would be calling plays instead of gase.. More of going over stuff with darnold, working with gase on the sideline to come up with adjustments so on and so forth. 

Two ways of looking at it.. Could hire a senior offensive mind as an "advisor" role (monken, callahan type.) . or go with a young up and comer who may not be ready for a full time OC roll just yet but would take the promotion to have an increase in responsibilities (a press taylor type).  Also remember JBC is on staff and has been a successful OC before. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

From where?  That is logical and should be expected.  Where is Callahan?

Callahan I'm not sure is a direct fit with what gase likes to do in the run game, not saying it couldnt work, but offensively just two different philosophies.  So while i think it would be a good hire as a "run game coordinator/OL coach" I'm not sure thats the direction they would be looking. 

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I've made various connections over the course of my career that have allowed me to meet some people and talk with people regularly that have really good insight and information that is more often reliable. I'll leave it at that lol 

Gase would be working with someone, although I highly doubt that someone would be calling plays instead of gase.. More of going over stuff with darnold, working with gase on the sideline to come up with adjustments so on and so forth. 

Two ways of looking at it.. Could hire a senior offensive mind as an "advisor" role (monken, callahan type.) . or go with a young up and comer who may not be ready for a full time OC roll just yet but would take the promotion to have an increase in responsibilities (a press taylor type).  Also remember JBC is on staff and has been a successful OC before. 

I don't know how the Johnsons stand pat with this offensive staff.  It needs an upgrade in some form.   No one takes Loggains seriously.  Would anyone hire him other than Gase?

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I don't know how the Johnsons stand pat with this offensive staff.  It needs an upgrade in some form.   No one takes Loggains seriously.  Would anyone hire him other than Gase?

They could put pressure on gase but that can turn the situation into a sh*t show.  I think its more of a "hey maybe we look at adding some of these guys who are floating around out there, they could probably add something" type of suggestion rather than a direct order.  Remember gase has full control over his staff, so any type of hand forcing would cause quite a bit of friction i would wager.  While fans probably don't care, and would be fine ruffling feathers because they all hate gase, this just isnt a good way to do business.  

And before anyone brings up the forcing of the hand of Rhule last year, that was a different situation entirely. 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Very interesting.  I would just love if Douglas turned around and hired someone to fill that roll. Callahan would be awesome. I wonder if he and Pollack could coexist or if Pollack would have to go. The problem there is that Callahan would then coach the line which would decrease the role youre talking about. 

Interesting stuff. let's hope it comes true. It would show that Gase could at least assess the needs for a true HC. Growth? 

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:27 PM, playtowinthegame said:

OMG

They hired the douche from the Vikings. 

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Two years with Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs..... 0 playoff wins.  AND, that's with a very good Vikings D.

If you're talking in regards of being an OC, he didnt have these guys for two seasons. He was named Interim OC on December 11th with 3 games left in the season. He went 2-1 in those last the games. He was then hired officially as the new OC during that offseason.

He also has a playoff win as well. The Vikings beat the Saints this year to get to the divisional round. 

19 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Let’s be fair it’s not like top tier candidates are begging to coach the Sucky Midget Baker

Let's be fair.

Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Robert Saleh, Eric Bieniemy and Greg Roman all interviewed to coach Baker. 

Among all these men are a total of 9 SB championships. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If you're talking in regards of being an OC, he didnt have these guys for two seasons. He was named Interim OC on December 11th with 3 games left in the season. He went 2-1 in those last the games. He was then hired officially as the new OC during that offseason.

He also has a playoff win as well. The Vikings beat the Saints this year to get to the divisional round. 

I stand corrected.  Brain fart on that. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Robert Saleh, Eric Bieniemy and Greg Roman all interviewed to coach Baker. 

To be fair if you don't take an interview every so often, you don't learn how to interview, an important lesson, and you stop getting called for interviews 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

To be fair if you don't take an interview every so often, you don't learn how to interview, an important lesson, and you stop getting called for interviews 

To be fair, if you're a good enough coach you wont stop getting called for interviews, which means that knowing how to interview are essentially for those with "resumes that dont speak for themselves".