The "We're Stuck With Adam Gase... And That's OK?" Thread

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If anything, these recent hires show how barren the hiring pool actually was. 

Exactly.

$62 million to a college coach when 90% of college coaches fail?  Two old guys who don't support analytics?  This one year after the hot young Anthony Lynn and Sean McVay fail completely a year after they were anointed?

The Jets did well.  Part of the dream scenario is to have a HC and GM who get along and are in lockstep.  We've got that.  And as a team that isn't ready to win immediately, we got the best coach we could get.  Look how low the Giants had to go.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

$62 million to a college coach when 90% of college coaches fail?  Two old guys who don't support analytics?  This one year after the hot young Anthony Lynn and Sean McVay fail completely a year after they were anointed?

The Jets did well.  Part of the dream scenario is to have a HC and GM who get along and are in lockstep.  We've got that.  And as a team that isn't ready to win immediately, we got the best coach we could get.  Look how low the Giants had to go.

SAR I

Rhule has some nfl experience as an assistant.  A lot of front office people around the league seem to like him a lot 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

People learn from experience and grow in their profession. Saban is a better coach today than he was in 2006. 

800px-Pete_Carroll_August_2014.jpg

College game is mostly about recruiting.  NFL is mostly about X’s and O’s

Btw I heard Jim Harbaugh did ok with the 49ers

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

He’s shown nothing to be excited about year 1. Hoping he’s a different coach with better players on offense.

Yeah, a 6-2 second half, only the 3rd time in the 60 year team history we've achieved that or better, and after a 1-7 start and flying planes, "nothing to be excited about".

SAR I

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rhule has some nfl experience as an assistant.  A lot of front office people around the league seem to like him a lot 

The same thing could be said for 450 of the 500 rookie head coaches hired in the history of the league who fell on their faces.  We know this too well, these NFL assistant / college coach types.  In our history, we haven't hit on a single one.  Walton, Coslet, Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles, that's 30 years right there.   Pete Carroll is the only one worth anything and we ran him out of town.

It's no different than the NFL draft.  It's a complete crapshoot heavily dependent on circumstances.  Mike McCarthy might win the Super Bowl and they'll build him a statue in Dallas whereas he would have been lucky to get to 6-10 with the Giants and they'll call him a bum.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

McCarthy and Rivera arent shiny new toys..they are regiftted presents from your out of touch uncle. 
And Judge is damn sure a gift certificate because someone didnt know what to get you. 

If McCarthy and Rivera are regifted toys, then Gase to the Jets was a pile of charcoal!
Both those guys reached a super bowl and McCarthy won his. What has Gase accomplished thus far as an HC?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

McCarthy and Rivera arent shiny new toys..they are regiftted presents from your out of touch uncle. 

And Judge is damn sure a gift certificate because someone didnt know what to get you. 

Gift certificates are my second favorite type of gift to receive.  My favorite? Cash!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

If McCarthy and Rivera are regifted toys, then Gase to the Jets was a pile of charcoal!
Both those guys reached a super bowl and McCarthy won his. What has Gase accomplished thus far as an HC?

Rivera lost the Super Bowl and went once in 8 years. 

Aaron Rodgers won the Super Bowl, McCarthy rode on his back 1 time in 10 years. 

Gase has coached for a total of 4 and only 1 with us. 

• Upvote 1

Please tell me your joking. Your dismissing McCarthy’s championship. He has one of the highest winning percentage of any HC all time. Your saying Rivera went once in 8 years. You cannot be taken seriously. Gase has been no where near appearing in a super bowl. He has to get to one first to be mentioned in the same breathe as Rivera and win one to be mentioned along with McCarthy.

I’m going to present the facts again:

McCarthy: 125-77-2, WP: 618, 1 championship, 9 time division champ, 4 NFC championship game appearances

Gase: 29-35, WP: .469, that’s about it. Offenses finish 24th to worst as HC, forgot that part.

Who has the better resume?

12 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Please tell me your joking. Your dismissing McCarthy’s championship. He has one of the highest winning percentage of any HC all time. Your saying Rivera went once in 8 years. You cannot be taken seriously. Gase has been no where near appearing in a super bowl. He has to get to one first to be mentioned in the same breathe as Rivera and win one to be mentioned along with McCarthy.

You want to compare Gase to Rivera and McCarthy but you hold him to a completely different standard.

McCarthy went 8-8 his first year, with HALL OF FAMERS Favre and Woodson, and a team of Pro Bowlers, and didnt make the playoffs, and didnt win a SuperBowl until his 5th year. 

Rivera went 6-10 his first year, with a roster LITTERED with Pro Bowlers, and didnt make the playoffs, and didnt appear in a SuperBowl until his 4th year. 

Gase has coached us for 1 YEAR. With a quarter of the talent either of their teams had, 1 Pro Bowler, and still managed to go 7-9. 

How can you possibly judge Gase because he hasnt made it to a SuperBowl when he hasnt even been afforded an opportunity or roster to show us he can do it? 

By your standard, along with half the people here, both those coaches should have been fired after their first seasons. Now who cant be taken seriously? 

• Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I’m going to present the facts again:

McCarthy: 125-77-2, WP: 618, 1 championship, 9 time division champ, 4 NFC championship game appearances

Gase: 29-35, WP: .469, that’s about it. Offenses finish 24th to worst as HC, forgot that part.

Who has the better resume?

Want facts? Look at the post I just made. I think that sums it up nicely. 

• Upvote 2

Rhule is a head coach and team builder.

Rex, Bowles, Gase are all guys hired because they were 'ace coordinators' and only one of them actually did a half sassed job on his side of the ball.

Worse yet, Gase's side of the ball was dead last in the league.  You are good at what you do if you can make something out of not a lot, those are the good coaches/coordinators (See Gregg Williams this past year see some of our recent past OC's.

Gase has shown exactly zero to suggest he is good.

He has shown zero to suggest he is a good head coach and leader and zero to suggest he is a good offensive mind.

• Sympathy 1

You want to compare Gase to Rivera and McCarthy but you hold him to a completely different standard.
McCarthy went 8-8 his first year, with HALL OF FAMERS Favre and Woodson, and a team of Pro Bowlers, and didnt make the playoffs, and didnt win a SuperBowl until his 5th year. 
Rivera went 6-10 his first year, with a roster LITTERED with Pro Bowlers, and didnt make the playoffs, and didnt appear in a SuperBowl until his 4th year. 
Gase has coached us for 1 YEAR. With a quarter of the talent either of their teams had, 1 Pro Bowler, and still managed to go 7-9. 
How can you possibly judge Gase because he hasnt made it to a SuperBowl when he hasnt even been afforded an opportunity or roster to show us he can do it? 
By your standard, along with half the people here, both those coaches should have been fired after their first seasons. Now who cant be taken seriously? 

Gase is not a 1st year head coach! This was his 4th season as HC going on year 5. You want to discredit 2 coaches who each appeared in a Super Bowl and one who led his team to a championship. McCarthy won 13 games in his second season, 11 in his 4th year, 10 in his 5th and a Super Bowl. Gase?

7 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Gase is not a 1st year head coach! This was his 4th season as HC going on year 5. You want to discredit 2 coaches who each appeared in a Super Bowl and one who led his team to a championship. McCarthy won 13 games in his second season, 11 in his 4th year, 10 in his 5th and a Super Bowl. Gase?

Talk to me after you've given Gase 9 years with the JETS. 

Then we can compare. Until then, stop comparing apples to spaceships to make your point. 

Talk to me after you've given Gase 9 years with the JETS. 
Then we can compare. Until then, stop comparing apples to spaceships to make your point. 

I wouldn’t of hired him to begin with. Then stop labeling these guys outdated when they are light years ahead of Gase as HC. Once again, Gase or McCarthy?

6 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Great way to avoid Real Facts which includes winning games, winning percentage, championship game appearances and Super Bowl appearances. Which coach would you take? Gase or McCarthy?

Again, 

Once Gase gets 9 full seasons with the JETS, Then we can make an apt comparison.

Until then, trying to use a coach who has had 9 years with 2 Hall of Fame quarterbacks and dozens of Pro Bowlers to justify your disdain for Gase is just irresponsible. 

Gase hasnt even been our coach for a calendar year, has no hall of famers, has 1 Pro Bowler.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

Thanks to AG we have a new GM who Isn't Jerry Jones or Jerry's kids, not Dave Gettleman, not an employee of Dan Snyder or the GM who fired Ron Rivera.  

The Jets general managers hire of JD's can be directly attributed to Gase.

There is no way JD would have come here without his personal relationship with AG and a 6 six contract.

Gase also was *DIRECTLY* responsible for the hire of our DC, Greg Williams. This guy took chicken carp and make chicken salad out of the D talent he was presented with.

The Jets have a *FQB* and a front office that's in line with an excellent coaching staff. These guys know how to build a wining program and they're cemented in place for at least 3 years. 2022 is our year to take home a SB.

Put on the sun glasses because the future is looking really bright.

3 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I wouldn’t of hired him to begin with. Then stop labeling these guys outdated when they are light years ahead of Gase as HC. Once again, Gase or McCarthy?

I never ONCE said they were outdated. 

It is well known in league circles that McCarthy held Aaron Rodgers back from full potential and is the reason they didnt win multiple Super Bowls together. This isnt an opinion I just pulled out of thin air and is the very reason he is no longer their coach. 

Again, I will tell you the answer once Gase has been given equal time to prove himself.