Outside Of Adams Do The Jets Have A Top Five Players At Any Position?

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If you could pick any DB in the NFL to play slot CB would Poole be a top 5?

No, because you'd have to throw Minkah Fitzpatrick into that mix, because he splits time at FS and slot CB.  Stephon Gillmore would be another one; he primarily plays on the outside but is also an elite slot guy when tasked with that role.  But assuming any old CB can kick inside to the slot would be a severe mistake.  

But if we're talking more of the "full-time" slot CB's, yes, Poole would be top 5.  Because teams are using Nickle formations almost like base sets these days, that makes Poole an elite defender at a position of importance.  

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Bell? No, he was awful last year. Yes the oline is sh*t but Bell look bad. 
Darnold? No, he isn’t top ten yet much less top five. 
Maye ? No, he’s not top 5. 

hence the term arguably.  i certainly have a higher opinion of darnold and maye.  bell? i really think his issues were 99% on the oline play.

You figure QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, G, C, edge, interior DL, off ball LB, CB, S - 12 basic positions not counting specials. Top 5 at those positions gets you to 60 guys top 5 at their position. One or two on every team. Jets have one. Not terribly surprising. Definitely room to build.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Right, but Adam Gase should be fired for not winning more games! LOL!

No, much like the other gase lovers you have it totally wrong.

Gase should be fired because he is not a head coach he is an offensive coordinator that cares only about the offense.

The offense he is totally responsible for was dead last in the league, dead last.  This to go along with the pathetic offensive rankings he had in Miami.

Gregg Williams is the hero, dealing with a lousy underachieving 3rd overall pick and getting rookie udfa and 2nd year 6th rounders to perform well.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, much like the other gase lovers you have it totally wrong.

Gase should be fired because he is not a head coach he is an offensive coordinator that cares only about the offense.

The offense he is totally responsible for was dead last in the league, dead last.  This to go along with the pathetic offensive rankings he had in Miami.

Gregg Williams is the hero, dealing with a lousy underachieving 3rd overall pick and getting rookie udfa and 2nd year 6th rounders to perform well.

What you can't grasp is there is a difference between being a HC and a DC. Gregg Williams, as great as he is a DC, bombed as a HC in Buffalo and if he were our HC the defense wouldn't be as good as it is now.

You judge a HC on record.  If the Jets go 12-4 but are 31st in offense next year who give a sh*t??? He went 6-2 in the 2nd half with healthy Darnold. I could give to sh*ts where the offense is ranked!

Only people like you would complain.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What you can't grasp is there is a difference between being a HC and a DC. Gregg Williams, as great as he is a DC, bombed as a HC in Buffalo and if he were our HC the defense wouldn't be as good as it is now.

You judge a HC on record.  If the Jets go 12-4 but are 31st in offense next year who give a sh*t??? He went 6-2 in the 2nd half with healthy Darnold. I could give to sh*ts where the offense is ranked!

Only people like you would complain.

Gase sucks

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I keep womdering why no one is on a soap box for the 15 million dollar thin man.

Surely he must be top five to command that kind of cash for a WR.

emoji23.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was saying the same thing until I seen WRs contracts. Anderson is going to get around 12/13 a year. Maybe more if a team thinks he puts them over the edge. 

I was saying the same thing until I seen WRs contracts. Anderson is going to get around 12/13 a year. Maybe more if a team thinks he puts them over the edge. 

Average per year .. 

Julian Edleman ... 7.5

Danny Amendola ... 4.5

Ted Ginn... 3.6

Robert Woods ... 6.8

Marvin Jones ... 8

Amari Cooper ... 5.6

RA should come in around 7mill per if the world is fair.

He is not better than anyone making over 10 Mill per year.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Average per year .. 

Julian Edleman ... 7.5

Danny Amendola ... 4.5

Ted Ginn... 3.6

Robert Woods ... 6.8

Marvin Jones ... 8

Amari Cooper ... 5.6

RA should come in around 7mill per if the world is fair.

He is not better than anyone making over 10 Mill per year.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

As pointed out by other posters. Those are old contracts. The number is going to be much higher. 

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

imo, the jets have 5 players in the top 5 at their positions(or at least arguably so).  besides adams, there's mosely, maye, bell and darnold.

giphy.gif

There is no argument whatsoever that Darnold is one of the 5 best QB's in the NFL. 

What kind of drugs does someone have to take to write this kind of tripe?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

At there respective position is there anyone that’s in the top five on the Jets. 
Mosley if he’s healthy is in there but I can’t think of anyone else. 

I don't know? Perhaps Marcus Maye? I know he's not even a pro bowler, but he's definitely solid. Probably top 5?

However, if your point is to make everyone aware how untalented this team is? You're preaching to the choir. Mike Macagnan left the cupboards absolutely bare. That's a fact. That's why my only hope for JD is for him to actually start picking TALENT. I don't even care if he uses picks 100% on BAP, just so long as Douglas starts bringing talent through the door and I'll be happy. The fact is, we haven't had a GM do that since the very earliest days of Mike Tannenbaum/late drafts of Terry Bradway.

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I don't know? Perhaps Marcus Maye? I know he's not even a pro bowler, but he's definitely solid. Probably top 5?

However, if your point is to make everyone aware how untalented this team is? You're preaching to the choir. Mike Macagnan left the cupboards absolutely bare. That's a fact. That's why my only hope for JD is for him to actually start picking TALENT. I don't even care if he uses picks 100% on BAP, just so long as Douglas starts bringing talent through the door and I'll be happy. The fact is, we haven't had a GM do that since the very earliest days of Mike Tannenbaum/late drafts of Terry Bradway.

The point was what do they need to do to make a winning team.  
The answer is a lot. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wait we have a top 5 QB, RB, WR and DT?  When did this happen?  Joe Douglas rocks.

I'll name them: Darnold, Bell, R. Anderson, Foley Fatukasi, Mosely, and Maye. Plus Adams but he was a besides player by op. These are great players,  but having the worst oline in football and Gase held back the skill players on offense tremendously. Foley Fat is a huge reason for us leading in rush D, and Gregg Williams.

11 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'll name them: Darnold, Bell, R. Anderson, Foley Fatukasi, Mosely, and Maye. Plus Adams but he was a besides player by op. These are great players,  but having the worst oline in football and Gase held back the skill players on offense tremendously. Foley Fat is a huge reason for us leading in rush D, and Gregg Williams.

So you honestly believe all 6 of those players are top 5 in the NFL at their positions.  

Yikes. 

Ever watch other NFL games?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I keep womdering why no one is on a soap box for the 15 million dollar thin man.

Surely he must be top five to command that kind of cash for a WR.

emoji23.png

If Robby did get $15 million per year he would be tied for the 12th highest paid WR in the league, but hey, why let the facts ruin an idea. 

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

If the Jets go 12-4 but are 31st in offense next year who give a sh*t???

Can you tell me the last 12-4 team ranked 31st in Offense? :-k

Also, he wasn't 12-4.  He was 7-9.  So using your "judge by record" he is a loser.....till he shows otherwise.

He went 6-2 in the 2nd half with healthy Darnold.

Beating up worse teams in meaningless garbage time.  He was 1-7 in games that mattered.

I could give to sh*ts where the offense is ranked!

Really?  I'll ask again, how many Super Bowls have been won by team ranked 25-32 in Offense (the "Gase Zone").

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you tell me the last 12-4 team ranked 31st in Offense? :-k

Also, he wasn't 12-4.  He was 7-9.  So using your "judge by record" he is a loser.....till he shows otherwise.

Beating up worse teams in meaningless garbage time.  He was 1-7 in games that mattered.

Really?  I'll ask again, how many Super Bowls have been won by team ranked 25-32 in Offense (the "Gase Zone").

I doubt it's even possible to have the 31st ranked offense and go 12-4. 

• Sympathy 1