Ravens Safety Chuck Clark - 3 years $16

BCJet

I have no idea who Chuck Clark even is, he has one career sack and 2 career interceptions. 

He just got a $13 million per year extension. 

Im guessing Jamal is pretty happy to see this hit the tape. 

EDIT - Rotoworld initially reported it as $39 million. The number is actually 3 years $16 million which makes a lot more sense. My bad 

• Haha 1

Chuck Clark stepped up in a big spot for the Ravens in 2019, and the team is rewarding him accordingly.

Clark signed a three-year contract extension with the Ravens, the team announced Monday. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the extension is worth $16 million over three years, including $10 million in guarantees.

Clark had his best season of his career in 2019, appearing in 16 games (12 starts) and recording 73 tackles, nine passes defended, two forced fumbles, one interception and one sack. His performance was a revelation for the Ravens, who were relying on Tony Jefferson until his season-ending knee injury in Week 5.

Clark's contract extension is both a reward and also an excellent example of how Baltimore's front office is always looking ahead with its roster. The Ravens spent plenty to bring in Jefferson back in 2017 at an average of $8.5 million per season, but with the 28-year-old entering the final season of his four-year deal in 2020 (and coming off the aforementioned knee injury), Clark stands as a potential long-term replacement at the position.

Return on investment is incredibly high with Clark, who arrived in Baltimore via the 186th overall pick of the 2017 draft. With Jefferson arriving via free agency less than two months prior, Clark was able to learn the pro game while playing behind the older Jefferson, and when the latter exited due to injury, Clark was ready to step into his spot and make the most of the opportunity.

His performance earned him recognition as the Ravens' 2019 unsung hero (per our own Adam Rank) and a significant pay raise. Not bad for a sixth-round pick.

nfl.com

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

.......he's definitely "famous" by the standards of any NFL defensive player...

If you say so.

The only time I hear his name is during Jets games and........yep, that's pretty much it.

He gets zero national airtime, and most certainly no airtime in non-NY markets.

But sure, he's "famous".  Inside the bubble I guess.

I bet you think Sam Darnold is famous too.  ?

• WTF? 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

Some research.......24, 6th rd pick in 2017, #186. Pff of 72 for 2019.

The 6th round, 186th pick of his draft produced: 1 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, 9 PD's, 68 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack.

He allowed 1 TD in pass coverage.  Opposing QB's had a 75.2 rating when throwing at his man.

The 1st round, 6th pick of his draft produced:  1 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, 7 PD's, 75 Tackles, 10 TFL, 6 sacks.  

He allowed 2 TD's in pass coverage.  Opposing QB's had a 75.1 rating when throwing at his man.

Most teams get their sacks and TFL from having actual LB's and EDGE players. 

We had none of those "typical sack/TFL" positions filled by legitimate NFL players in 2019.

Evaluate accordingly.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's not true at all. He's a top ten pick and multiple time Pro Bowler. Whether or not he's a "household name" depends on what kind of household you live in but he's definitely "famous" by the standards of any NFL defensive player...

He's 100% a household name.  This ******* place is looney tunes dude.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The 6th round, 186th pick of his draft produced: 1 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, 9 PD's, 68 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack.

He allowed 1 TD in pass coverage.  Opposing QB's had a 75.2 rating when throwing at his man.

The 1st round, 6th pick of his draft produced:  1 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, 7 PD's, 75 Tackles, 10 TFL, 6 sacks.  

He allowed 2 TD's in pass coverage.  Opposing QB's had a 75.1 rating when throwing at his man.

Most teams get their sacks and TFL from having actual LB's and EDGE players. 

We had none of those "typical sack/TFL" positions filled by legitimate NFL players in 2019.

Evaluate accordingly.

Yeah, but imagine how disruptive Adams could be if the Jets actually had some defensive ends (rush LB's) that actually demanded attention.

This knife cuts both ways.

• Post of the Week 1

We are missing the boat here.  This is not about Adams.  This is about Maye.

Clark was drafted the same year as Maye.  This is his last year under contract.  

Maye’s PFF score last year was 74.6.  I think most people would think that score was credible.  

I think we will see that, as a general matter, it is tough to keep your players that hit FA.   That would tell me that most of the Jet FAs will be moving on.  If the Jets wanted to keep Maye they would extend him now like the Ravens just did Clark.  There are pros and cons to that.  The money does not look crazy, but my guess is that if you are going to pay our SS the most for a S in the NFL, his sidekick should probably be a lower priced draft pick.

What a mess of roster construction Mac has created.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maye’s PFF score last year was 74.6.  I think most people would think that score was credible.  

I think we will see that, as a general matter, it is tough to keep your players that hit FA.   That would tell me that most of the Jet FAs will be moving on.  If the Jets wanted to keep Maye they would extend him now like the Ravens just did Clark.  There are pros and cons to that.  The money does not look crazy, but my guess is that if you are going to pay our SS the most for a S in the NFL, his sidekick should probably be a lower priced draft pick.

Something even our dysfunctional govt. could agree on. Well, on second thought.....?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Exactly.  Two starting Safeties hitting FA at the same time.  Classic Maccagnan roster build failure. You want to see Twitter explode?  Imagine Joe Douglas extending Maye before he extends Adams! lol

I like Maye and he's worth extending, but that pick should have been RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.  It was so obvious.  Again, I like Maye but now here we are with two Safeties to extend and having just paid a Billion $$ to sign Le'Veon Bell at RB when we could have had Dalvin Cook on a 2nd round rookie deal.  Unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly.  Two starting Safeties hitting FA at the same time.  Classic Maccagnan roster build failure. You want to see Twitter explode?  Imagine Joe Douglas extending Maye before he extends Adams! lol

I like Maye and he's worth extending, but that pick should have been RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.  It was so obvious.  Again, I like Maye but now here we are with two Safeties to extend and having just paid a Billion $$ to sign Le'Veon Bell at RB when we could have had Dalvin Cook on a 2nd round rookie deal.  Unbelievable.

Not entirely true. 1st round picks have a team option for a 5th year that 2nd round picks do not have. 

So not entirely the same thing, but I see your point

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.

The only time I hear his name is during Jets games and........yep, that's pretty much it.

He gets zero national airtime, and most certainly no airtime in non-NY markets.

But sure, he's "famous".  Inside the bubble I guess.

I bet you think Sam Darnold is famous too.  ?

I mean, if you follow the NFL he is...? Like, I don't even know what to say to this. Either you follow football and know who guys like Jamal Adams are or you don't really follow the sport and you don't. There are no big football fans who don't know who Jamal Adams is.

If your argument is that he's not "QB famous" like Patrick Mahomes that's obviously true but I'd say Adams is just about as famous as any defensive player not named JJ Watt or Aaron Donald.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, if you follow the NFL he is...? Like, I don't even know what to say to this. Either you follow football and know who guys like Jamal Adams are or you don't really follow the sport and you don't. There are no big football fans who don't know who Jamal Adams is.

If your argument is that he's not "QB famous" like Patrick Mahomes that's obviously true but I'd say Adams is just about as famous as any defensive player not named JJ Watt or Aaron Donald.

I listen to NFL coverage every single day, both local (DC Sport Radio) and national (ESPN Radio, NFL Radio).

And no, I almost never hear Sam or Adams talk.  They're just not national figures in my experiences of watching/listening.

I mean comparing Adams to Watt?  Are you kidding me? ?

Maybe you just listen to WFAN or other NY-based media too much?

I maintain that most NY-based (and many ex-NY'ers who remain NY-media-obsessed) Jets Fans live in a NY media bubble that vastly overstates how famous/good/important NY teams and players are.  

27 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, but imagine how disruptive Adams could be if the Jets actually had some defensive ends (rush LB's) that actually demanded attention.

This knife cuts both ways.

Exact if we had those other players, Adams goes back to where Safeties in passing-dominated 2020 belong....pass coverage.

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not entirely true. 1st round picks have a team option for a 5th year that 2nd round picks do not have. 

So not entirely the same thing, but I see your point

Understood, it's team control for a 5th year but you're still making an active decision to extend that 1st round pick for a 5th season.

Joe Douglas has his work cut out for him here.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I listen to NFL coverage every single day, both local (DC Sport Radio) and national (ESPN Radio, NFL Radio).

And no, I almost never hear Sam or Adams talk.  They're just not national figures in my experiences of watching/listening.

I mean comparing Adams to Watt?  Are you kidding me? ?

Maybe you just listen to WFAN or other NY-based media too much?

I maintain that most NY-based (and many ex-NY'ers who remain NY-media-obsessed) Jets Fans live in a NY media bubble that vastly overstates how famous/good/important NY teams and players are.  

Exact if we had those other players, Adams goes back to where Safeties in passing-dominated 2020 belong....pass coverage.

With all due respect you very clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

People who follow the NFL and generally know who famous players are unquestionably know who Jamal Adams is. They also all know who Sam Darnold is -- every single starting QB in the NFL is "famous" in the terms I'm talking about.

If you get drafted in the top ten and go to multiple pro bowls people who are fans of the game know who you are. End of story.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Doesn't matter.

So New York then.

Yeah, sorry mate, not going to waste any more of my time arguing this point with a goalpost-moving guy stuck deep in the NY media bubble.

If you think Adams is as well known and discussed nationally as J.J. Watt, great.  

If you think Darnold is as well known and discussed nationally as Mahomes or Watson, great.  

:-k

• Thumb Down 1

So New York then.

Yeah, sorry mate, not going to waste any more of my time arguing this point with a goalpost-moving guy stuck deep in the NY media bubble.

If you think Adams is as well known and discussed nationally as J.J. Watt, great.  

If you think Darnold is as well known and discussed nationally as Mahomes or Watson, great.  

default_eusa_think.gif

I think if you read his post he specifically said Adams is not JJ Watt/Aaron Donald famous. He said amongst fans of the NFL, Adams is famous. If you ask a NFL fan in any other market to name a player on the Jets it’d be Adams or Darnold, and they would know who they both are. You’re saying he’s not famous because the DC market doesn’t talk about him is silly. They don’t talk about him because they don’t talk about the Jets. They’d talk about him if the Jets were playing WAS or if the Jets were amongst the better teams in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2