Great video breakdowns of top tackles

41 minutes ago, heymangold said:

After watching that, I’m not a becton fan

Why?  He said he has the most upside, was mauling people, and moves great.  He needs some coaching, but get Peters on a one year deal and let Becton learn some technique and he could be a monster.  Having said that I would be happy with all but Wirfs.  

• Upvote 1

The problem with these breakdowns is they only breakdown a few plays and player tendencies will vary wildly from snap to snap. The real test is watching entire game film so you can observe and grade these players more accurately.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Based on this guys opinion/breakdown Wills easily seems like the best. 

Wills

Good stuff man. Thanks for posting.  I actually like this guy and watch his stuff along with some other breakdowns.  

Its gonna be interesting to see who JD likes out of the group or if he really does feel like someone from the second tier will work better or just as well for us leading to a WR in the first.  Good Times! 

2 hours ago, RobR said:

The problem with these breakdowns is they only breakdown a few plays and player tendencies will vary wildly from snap to snap. The real test is watching entire game film so you can observe and grade these players more accurately.

Right. And watching a few different breakdowns is also good if you can peel away the time. 

I prefer game film where someone highlights the player being watched. I'm grateful guys are out there doing that stuff for us couch GM's these days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Lil O said:

Why?  He said he has the most upside, was mauling people, and moves great.  He needs some coaching, but get Peters on a one year deal and let Becton learn some technique and he could be a monster.  Having said that I would be happy with all but Wirfs.  

Him stating that he has no technique and just muscles guys is extremely worrisome.  Sure he could work on it but I’m not depending on coaching making this guy a stud of a high end 1st round pick.  Also, the fact the guy is so gigantic is also a red flag.  Guys that big don’t last long. I’m not sure if his injury history but it won’t be long before he has a knee issue.

8 hours ago, heymangold said:

After watching that, I’m not a becton fan

Becton's hype is his height, size athleticism and his combine. It happens every year. 

If Andrew Thomas is there it should be a no-brainer. If we trade down then it should be Josh Jones. 

If not those two then Jedrick Wills, even though he played RT. 

In this league you need elite tackles on both sides. Becton is a developmental player. His ceiling is high, but dude could be a bust just as easy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

50 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Becton's hype is his height, size athleticism and his combine. It happens every year. 

If Andrew Thomas is there it should be a no-brainer. If we trade down then it should be Josh Jones. 

In this league you need elite tackles on both sides. Becton is a developmental player. His ceiling is high, but dude could be a bust just as easy.

I take Thomas over Becton as well. Jets need the higher floor rather than the higher ceiling, can't afford to risk a busted pick at LT for Darnold's development.

However, guys who are 6"7 weigh 370 lbs and run a 5.1 40, definitely do not come out every year. Becton is a freak of a human, i'm almost tempted for the Jets to draft him just for the potential of turning into J.Ogden.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wills played RT because Tua is a lefty right?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Do you think Andrew Thomas is a good fit for Zone?

10 hours ago, RobR said:

Voch Lombardi is a former OL.

I like that he sees these plays through an OL’s eyes and picks up on tendencies that I wouldn’t notice with the casual eye, or without the All22 camera on pause/replay. 
Would have to imagine his evaluation of these players is closer aligned to JD than some of these other YouTube yahoo’s. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Do you think Andrew Thomas is a good fit for Zone?

Nope, it's just like signing Bell. Good player, bad fit. Plus Thomas would have to adjust in a department which is one of the sole reasons he's being regarded this high and that's run blocking.

But when we pass up on him watch a few point to how much we missed out when in reality we did his career a favor.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

As I understand it, he watches the film and picks out certain plays. So his opinion is more than just those plays. He’d probably lose all his subscribers if he puts out entire game breakdowns. 

Unless scouting is your career, regular fans don’t have the time. We formulate our opinion based on breakdowns from people who do have time. Over the years, we learn to trust certain analyst over others. And then we make our opinion based on what those analyst say couple with some highlight tapes. It’s all fun.

There are some fans who do put in the time. Then it’s up to rest of us to decide who’s opinion to trust. At the end of the day, JD is making the pick. It’s all entertainment and a pass time for most.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. I got a completely different feel from the review of Becton. It's not like he's capped out and you will have to endure his poor technique habits. He doesn't have habits yet. he's been able to get by on his size, strength and athleticism but will need to develop good technique in the pros. He is the perfect player if you have faith in your OL staff which Gase and JD do. 

Sure people were calling for Pollack to be fired this offseason but that's more Because we, as a people expect to see someone fired rather than allowing them time to build the roster imo. The truth is that the OL performed better toward the later portion of the season and with the second string. I'm sure pollack had something to do with that. 

I would be very happy if Becton was the pick. Especially if we do what I'm hoping we do and nab Jason Peters for a 2 yr contract. 

That’s exactly how I was feeling. It doesn’t seem like he has any bad habits he just needs to learn the proper technique. But he is a beast, and he moves extremely well in both run and pass protection. His biggest flaw was he let people get too close to him by not using his arms enough, which I would think would be easy to fix.  I agree that Andrew Thomas is a more polished starter, and I wouldn’t be sad if we drafted him. But if we draft him I don’t think we’re picking up Jason peters. I agree with you that Peter’s on a two-year deal would be awesome especially if we drafted Becton.  Either way I am extremely excited for the Draft!  
i’m so sad I’ve been binge watching the movie Draft Day!

• Sympathy 2

That’s exactly how I was feeling. It doesn’t seem like he has any bad habits he just needs to learn the proper technique. But he is a beast, and he moves extremely well in both run and pass protection. His biggest flaw was he let people get too close to him by not using his arms enough, which I would think would be easy to fix.  I agree that Andrew Thomas is a more polished starter, and I wouldn’t be sad if we drafted him. But if we draft him I don’t think we’re picking up Jason peters. I agree with you that Peter’s on a two-year deal would be awesome especially if we drafted Becton.  Either way I am extremely excited for the Draft!  
i’m so sad I’ve been binge watching the movie Draft Day!

Exactly. And from what I read about him it seems he’s a coachable fella too. I don’t think he makes it to 11 but if he does you almost HAVE to grab him.
As much as I want a trade down to acquire another pick or three, it would be really hard for me to pass on any of the top 4 Tackles. I honestly like all of them.

But I like jones, wonoghu and Peart too so...
Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In a vacuum, I would say that taking an OT at 11 who ends up moving to OG and becoming a great player there isn't such a bad thing at all.   It's just that our need at OT is so much greater than our need at IOL right now that I would be disappointed this year if it happened.  Still, ending up with an all-pro level OG could be a possible nice consolation prize for missing on the OT.  Whereas if you whiff at most other positions, you have nothing.

Just a thought to ponder...

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In a vacuum, I would say that taking an OT at 11 who ends up moving to OG and becoming a great player there isn't such a bad thing at all.   It's just that our need at OT is so much greater than our need at IOL right now that I would be disappointed this year if it happened.  Still, ending up with an all-pro level OG could be a possible nice consolation prize for missing on the OT.  Whereas if you whiff at most other positions, you have nothing.

Just a thought to ponder...

The only problem with this is that there are great IOL in Rds 2/3.  No need to spend a first round pick on a guard or center. I bet we end up drafting a kick ass center in the second or third round and switch  McGovern to guard.  I think Cesar Ruiz is projected to go in rd 3.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Wills played RT because Tua is a lefty right?

Yes, but Sam is righty, which means we have no idea how he'll play on the right side. 

I remember Michael Strahan being a complete dud rushing from the right defensive side. Then he switched and began rushing from the left side and suddenly became a HOF'er by career's end. 

Im not saying that Wills cant do it (I would have no problem if we drafted him), but I wont act like switching sides is as simple as "switching sides". 

I know Andrew Thomas can play LT. 

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

As I understand it, he watches the film and picks out certain plays. So his opinion is more than just those plays. He’d probably lose all his subscribers if he puts out entire game breakdowns. 

Unless scouting is your career, regular fans don’t have the time. We formulate our opinion based on breakdowns from people who do have time. Over the years, we learn to trust certain analyst over others. And then we make our opinion based on what those analyst say couple with some highlight tapes. It’s all fun.

There are some fans who do put in the time. Then it’s up to rest of us to decide who’s opinion to trust. At the end of the day, JD is making the pick. It’s all entertainment and a pass time for most.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like his videos but they are only a piece of the pie. For every time he points out someone doesn't extend their arms or bend correctly I could point out plays where the do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Don't get me wrong, I actually like his videos but they are only a piece of the pie. For every time he points out someone doesn't extend their arms or bend correctly I could point out plays where the do.

Yea to some degree most fans views of prospects are biased towards the analysts view of the prospects.

Seems like you do more research than most fans. I’m starting learn not to have too strong of an opinion on prospect (ie I shouldn’t be disliking Becton too much). I really shouldn’t be too high or too low on a player. Because the reality is my view is the derivative of a few analysts actual study. At the minimum, I’ll enjoy draft day a whole more. 

• Upvote 1