Zuniga is similar to Dee Ford

Zuniga Is a steal in the 3rd, this is going to be an Epic draft for the Jets.

A strong Athletic man who runs a 4.6 isn’t something you find everyday.

Douglas drafts athletic freaks, Maccagnan and Co Draft fat slugs.

We burned a 3rd on Polite taken 68th

Douglas drafted Zuniga 79th, he’s going to have a good career mark my words.

On a side note, Polite’s pro day was worse, he ran a 5.04 and we still drafted him. Mekhi Becton ran a 5.10 at 364 pounds. Mike Maccagnan will be lucky If he’s a water boy in this league now. 

3E0A5E4B-20C5-4A3F-959B-4CBC56B26157.png

4A29E3D6-696C-4EB6-AB81-3FD0C419A2A3.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The 40 time doesn’t make or break him like a deep route receiver or DB. With or without his dozens of sacks his last year heading into the draft, Suggs ran like barely better than a 4.9 or something himself, and has 150 sacks (without being some one-trick pony as anything like a liability against the run either). 

Exceptions don’t disprove the rule, though, and Suggs was an exception no matter what his 40 time. Having speed is better than not having it, but getting that first step fast off the snap in pads will help him get to the QB more than a combine/pro-day 4.6 vs. a 4.8 40 time in gym shorts. Also Zuniga staying off the injury report would help.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

On a side note, Polite’s pro day was worse, he ran a 5.04 and we still drafted him. Mekhi Becton ran a 5.10 at 364 pounds. Mike Maccagnan will be lucky If he’s a water boy in this league now.

And Maccagnan was (deservedly) fired before Polite even made it to GW’s sh*t list, never mind before he was cut. 

A 40 time of 5.04 is just off the charts slow for an edge rusher. If he ran at his pro day that means he deemed himself healthy enough to do so, because why bother if you’re injured — just tell everyone you’ve got an injury, don’t run at all, and even if it drops you in the draft the teams will understand. To show off your slowness is madness only eclipsed by the team that drafts a player after he shows what he is (and isn’t). 

I don’t follow these prospects, so how was it he got 11 sacks his jr year (on top of 4 FFs and 6 PDs)? Was it just a talented team carrying him? Whatever it is, I’m amazed that we somehow found a day 2 pick who - without a tough luck early injury, arrest, or snorting/smoking his way off an otherwise guaranteed rookie roster spot - managed to actually be a far worse pro than Vernon Gholston. That was supposed to be literally impossible, like saying we replicated conditions that are actually colder than -273 deg Celsius, dividing by zero, or having a worse name than Jared Goff’s brother Jack. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, heymangold said:

What’s the weather gonna be tomorrow?

That was the key to the lock. Since he started posting again I was trying to remember why that name stood out to me....weather updates. 

Terrible forecasting on top of it. ?

On 4/26/2020 at 2:03 PM, mrcoops said:

Huff reminds me of Dwight Freeney - at least in terms of build and stature.

Fingers crossed he can play a little bit like him too.

Freeney closer to 270 lbs. which I find amazing considering his bend off the edge. I’ll take the comparison (& Huff too me thinks) gladly. Now if he can only live up to the former #11 pick out of Syracuse 

On 4/26/2020 at 11:54 AM, bitonti said:

Zuniga sounds like another Jordan Jenkins/Pace type to be honest. Which is convenient with Jenkins on a 1 year deal 

Watch.  We will see Zuniga with his hand in the dirt at times and we will like the results.  There are a variety of permutations for Greg Williams...  No doubt he is designing plays based on what he thinks these guys are going to bring to the table.  Going to need a training camp and a pre season to make it come together for 2020.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Zuniga Is a steal in the 3rd, this is going to be an Epic draft for the Jets.

A strong Athletic man who runs a 4.6 isn’t something you find everyday.

Douglas drafts athletic freaks, Maccagnan and Co Draft fat slugs.

We burned a 3rd on Polite taken 68th

Douglas drafted Zuniga 79th, he’s going to have a good career mark my words.

3E0A5E4B-20C5-4A3F-959B-4CBC56B26157.png

4A29E3D6-696C-4EB6-AB81-3FD0C419A2A3.png

Damn that 29 reps is equally impressive to 40 time. Kid really is athletic freak . Hope they can coach him up . 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Damn that 29 reps is equally impressive to 40 time. Kid really is athletic freak . Hope they can coach him up . 

There is a reason he lasted until the 79th pick. Injury history and middling production in the SEC.

It would be unbelievable if the Jets found Their elusive pass rusher in the 3rd round 

I liked this pick a lot.  He has the athleticism to be a good edge in the NFL.  The ankle injury impacted his production in 2019, but from watching him play, I think he was better than the numbers would indicate.  Great first-step, generated a lot of pressure, can line up in several spots.  May not be a 3-down LB as he struggles against the run, but still he is a guy I am excited about. 

He may never be that 10+ sack per year guy we have been looking for since Abe left, but he does not have to be to be a solid 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 1

IMHO, He’s nothing like them.
He has freakish explosion and athleticism.  He has to develop moves and better situational awareness.  He may end up having similar production but his skills are upside are quite a bit different. 
I like Pace/Jenkins but they are/were limited in the sense of the type of athleticism and quick twitch that Zuniga brings.
If Zuniga can get the head part of the game right he can be an all-pro level pass rusher. 
So you are saying he compares better to a guy like Lorenzo mauldin?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan was fired before Polite even made it to GW’s sh*t list, never mind before he was cut. 

A 40 time of 5.04 is just off the charts slow for an edge rusher. If he ran at his pro day that means he deemed himself healthy enough to do so, because why bother if you’re injured — just tell everyone you’ve got an injury, don’t run at all, and even if it drops you in the draft the teams will understand. To show off your slowness is madness only eclipsed by the team that drafts a player after he shows what he is (and isn’t). 

I don’t follow these prospects, so how was it he got 11 sacks his jr year (on top of 4 FFs and 6 PDs)? Was it just a talented team carrying him? Whatever it is, I’m amazed that we somehow found a day 2 pick who - without a tough luck early injury, arrest, or snorting/smoking his way off an otherwise guaranteed rookie roster spot - managed to actually be a far worse pro than Vernon Gholston. That was supposed to be literally impossible, like saying we replicated conditions that are actually colder than -273 deg Celsius, dividing by zero, or having a worse name than Jared Goff’s brother Jack. 

Very well done the way you hid the punchline!

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, cookiemonstaman said:

You cant move this guy back. Freak athlete and he is the best sec rusher when healthy .

Yes...Darrell Taylor led the SEC in sacks from Tennessee, but might not have if Zuniga didn't get injured.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan was fired before Polite even made it to GW’s sh*t list, never mind before he was cut. 

I remember reading somewhere that Polite said it was only the second or third 40 that he had ever run.  Meanwhile, probably 80% of the Combine invitees hired trainers and trained their asses off at the drills for three months.

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I remember reading somewhere that Polite said it was only the second or third 40 that he had ever run.  Meanwhile, probably 80% of the Combine invitees hired trainers and trained their asses off at the drills for three months.

What’s more, these GMs all hear/know this stuff that we only find out later. All ours saw was a productive stat line and one-time 1st round grade. But he’s far from the first prospect whose 1st round draft star dimmed the more teams learned about him. 

It’s unfathomable how hard it is for a high 3rd round rookie, at a premium position of extreme need, to get cut in August. Even when teams sense the inevitable, they find a way to trade the player or at least stash him on IR for the season before admitting defeat a little later. 

I wasn’t joking above when I asked how was he so productive his junior year (and previously held premium draft pick projections. Was it just the talent around him in Gainesville? Or does he have at least some talent but is just that much of a tool that he refuses to put in any work because doesn’t give a crap about anything or anybody, including himself?

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What’s more, these GMs all hear/know this stuff that we only find out later. All ours saw was a productive stat line and one-time 1st round grade. But he’s far from the first prospect whose 1st round draft star dimmed the more teams learned about him. 

It’s unfathomable how hard it is for a high 3rd round rookie, at a premium position of extreme need, to get cut in August. Even when teams sense the inevitable, they find a way to trade the player or at least stash him on IR for the season before admitting defeat a little later. 

I wasn’t joking above when I asked how was he so productive his junior year (and previously held premium draft pick projections. Was it just the talent around him in Gainesville? Or does he have at least some talent but is just that much of a tool that he refuses to put in any work because doesn’t give a crap about anything or anybody, including himself?

I'm not a scout, but I thought Polite's tape was pretty damn impressive.  The guy had great bend and a knack for getting to the QB.  And seven forced fumbles in his last year.  For him to turn out to be such a slug was extremely surprising to me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm not a scout, but I thought Polite's tape was pretty damn impressive.  The guy had great bend and a knack for getting to the QB.  And seven forced fumbles in his last year.  For him to turn out to be such a slug was extremely surprising to me.

Another example of how attitude, work ethic, and football IQ, are just as important as physical ability.  Every season we see ridiculous athletic freaks who bust, and middle of the pack guys with a high motor, and relentless work ethic who succeed.  Grew up watching Rocky movies....Eye of The Tiger baby, Eye if The Tiger!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:04 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t know why people keep making this comparison. Zuniga has elite athleticism entering the league. Jenkins and Pace did not.

How the hell did he rate being the 18th pick in the first rd??

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As a “set the edge” LB, like Bryan Thomas? I dunno. But he was never a freak athlete.

Bryan Thomas had a freakish combine and it's why as a small school prospect he vaulted up in the draft.