Ira from Staten Island isn’t going to any Jets games

As I went through the NY Post this morning...I came across this article.

It's not conclusive...but the fact doctors announced this is at least encouraging.  

New mutation indicates that coronavirus might be weakening, study says

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

Just some excerpts...

A mutation in the novel coronavirus mirrors a change that occurred in the genetically similar SARS virus in 2003 — indicating that the bug might be weakening, researchers announced in a newly published study...

Out of the 382 nasal swab samples the researchers examined from coronavirus patients in the state, a single sample was missing a significant chunk of its genome. Eighty-one of the letters were permanently deleted, according to the new study published in the Journal of Virology.

“One of the reasons why this mutation is of interest is because it mirrors a large deletion that arose in the 2003 SARS outbreak,” Lim said in a statement.

During the middle and late phases of the 2003 SARS epidemic, the virus accumulated mutations that lessened its strength, according to the researchers.

“Where the deletion occurs in the genome is pretty meaningful because it’s a known immune protein which means it counteracts the host’s antiviral response,” Lim told the Daily Mail.

A weakened virus that causes less severe symptoms may get a leg up if it is able to spread efficiently through populations by people who don’t know they are infected, the scientists say.

13 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

The thing is, we don't get to decide who's "responsible" and who isn't.  We either have rights or we don't.  Break the law and lose your rights.  But don't have them taken away before you even get the chance to exercise them.

I agree that you made the right decision to not see your mother.  But it sounds like it was YOUR decision (with some help from mom?)h.   I don't believe the government has the right to tell you that you CAN'T.

Having said that, I fully support following rules.  I'm just afraid the rules we accept now are inevitably going to lead to worse ones in the future . . .

Good point!

Well September is a long way off so who knows exactly what will happen.   I think that the season ticket holders for every team have to make a decision.  This is a very unusual circumstance for sure.  I just wish all well in their personal lives.  I do have an opinion yet somethings are better left unsaid.   Be well Jet Nation!

37 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I fully agree that this is a truly terrible dilemma for us as a nation. COVID is far from an ordinary illness. The death rates are already at catastrophic levels and climbing fast by any measure, include time of war. I am personally fully supportive of rational re-opening plans for areas that are well under control or have minimal cases (although rural areas will be quickly overwhelmed if there even a modicum of hospitalizations because of the vast shortage of medical services in rural areas of our country). The economic price has already been high. On the other hand, simply acting like this is no big deal and sending people back to work, school, shopping, etc. will be completely counter-productive. Look at what happened with meat packing plants that ignored protective measures. They can't continue to function and are closing down. Here's a question: should employees have a right to continue to work from home/remotely if they do not feel safe returning to their cubicles/spaces while the virus still rages? Should workers be allowed to continue to collect unemployment? (P.S. the real reason many states are trying to reopen is precisely so they don't have to pay unemployment benefits). While you might want to go to a movie, is it reasonable for the movie theatre to remain closed because they don't want to expose their employees to risk (which means risk to their families as well)? If you're the employer, what would you do? How would you determine whether employees must work or not? It's just so complicated. I don't envy the people who have to make any of these decisions.

I agree all your questions are good ones, I just don't think the government should be answering them.

Do I think workers should be allowed to work from home?  If the company gives them that option.  I don't think they're "entitled" to it just because they don't want to get sick.  People have had to decide whether to go to work sick for ages and I don't think this should be treated any differently.  I also think unemployment should be based on whether they are forced to stay home or choose to.

Do I think a movie theater should stay open?  Let the owners decide.  Do I think meat packing plants should close?  Only if the owners think the risk outweighs the benefit, or have so many employees call in sick they can't function.  I don't include places like schools because the government DOES run them, but I don't believe any private business should be forced to close.  Let them decide and then deal with the consequences of their decision.  That's why I don't agree with NYC mayor (and others) whining that the federal government "has" to help them -- as if they have no control over the situation they are in.  They do, and they should be held accountable for the decisions/actions they choose.

The only thing I'd disagree with you is the "catastrophic death rate".  It actually bothers me when people compare this to war or 9/11.  In those instances, people of ALL ages were dying.  Fathers weren't coming home to their families.  Parents had to bury their children.  I'm sorry if I'm sounding callous, but that just isn't the case here (statistically speaking).  Is it sad when a loved one dies?  Of course.  But it's inevitable, especially as you get older.  They want you to believe "stay home, save lives" but the reality is its "stay home/postpone deaths".  People whose bodies can't handle the virus in April will likely not be able to in August.  That's why they talk about FLATTENING the curve (spreading the deaths out) as opposed to LOWERING the curve (decreasing the amount of deaths).  That may be commended in an ideal situation, but I don't believe that's a luxury we can currently afford.

The CDC website says there have been up to 56,000,000 flu illnesses in this country just in the past seven months, with up to 62,000 deaths.  That's an illness we already supposedly have vaccines for, medication for, "answers" for, and still WAY too many people die.  Should we have a lockdown every winter?  Or have we accepted some things are unavoidable and try our best to live within that reality?  Sadly, I see the same end for Covid.  It will become the new normal, and I don't see how waiting until August is any better than accepting it now . . .

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

It's not conclusive...but the fact doctors announced this is at least encouraging.  

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

Just some excerpts...

A mutation in the novel coronavirus mirrors a change that occurred in the genetically similar SARS virus in 2003 — indicating that the bug might be weakening, researchers announced in a newly published study...

Out of the 382 nasal swab samples the researchers examined from coronavirus patients in the state, a single sample was missing a significant chunk of its genome. Eighty-one of the letters were permanently deleted, according to the new study published in the Journal of Virology.

“One of the reasons why this mutation is of interest is because it mirrors a large deletion that arose in the 2003 SARS outbreak,” Lim said in a statement.

During the middle and late phases of the 2003 SARS epidemic, the virus accumulated mutations that lessened its strength, according to the researchers.

“Where the deletion occurs in the genome is pretty meaningful because it’s a known immune protein which means it counteracts the host’s antiviral response,” Lim told the Daily Mail.

A weakened virus that causes less severe symptoms may get a leg up if it is able to spread efficiently through populations by people who don’t know they are infected, the scientists say.

A friend in the medical field told me the same thing -- that that's the "usual" chain of events, but we need to wait and see if it holds true in this case . . .

On 5/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, Dandie Andie Doodle said:

I think it’s proven out that people are incapable of discussing the virus without divisive pissing matches over the control of information and political bias. 

Its a shame. 

There are three main camps with COVID-19.

Camp 1 - "It's just the flu. The NWO, Illuminati, and Charmin conspired to take away our rights and sell more toilet paper. The Constitution states that I can do whatever I want." 

Camp 2 - "I am not leaving the house until the daily COVID-19 death count is zero. I bathe in Purell and use a P100 respirator when I get the mail. Also, I microwave the mail." (High risk individuals get a pass)

Camp 3 - Sane people who are cautious, educate themselves about the disease, and take proper precautions so that they don't get or transmit the virus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, slats said:

Isn't Ira in his 70's with diabetes and respiratory issues? 

what could go wrong?  ira has been a good jet fan for ages.  he deserves to have his voice heard.  i have no problem with him staying away if there's no vaccine.  he's just taking care of himself.

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There are three main camps with COVID-19.

Camp 1 - "It's just the flu. The NWO, Illuminati, and Charmin conspired to take away our rights and sell more toilet paper. The Constitution states that I can do whatever I want." 

Camp 2 - "I am not leaving the house until the daily COVID-19 death count is zero. I bathe in Purell and use a P100 respirator when I get the mail. Also, I microwave the mail." (High risk individuals get a pass)

Camp 3 - Sane people who are cautious, educate themselves about the disease, and take proper precautions so that they don't get or transmit the virus. 

I think of it a bit different, less sardonic:

1. I’m fortunate enough to be able to stay home to help the greater good and I will.

2. I’m an essential worker.

3. I have no choice but to go out, but will take whatever precautions I can.

4. The power and money behind the media I get my confirmation bias from says its a conspiracy, so FU you can’t tell me what to do!

5. I haven’t admitted it to myself, but I’m scared sh*tless, and that has manifested in an impractical denial of reality combined with a veneer if false bravado. So, I’m going outside, to show you how tough I am.

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

Just some excerpts...

I hope it's true, but then there's this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-coronavirus-mutated-and-appears-to-be-more-contagious-now-new-study-finds.html

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Nice!  That IS a fun fact.

What might be even more fun is the reason why?

Were you the flasher in the Gate D spiral at the old stadium. lol

I got a little too enthusiastic at a Guns N Roses concert. When you mix too many substances in the sun without drinking water, you may or may not end up in the infirmary. 

I have to pay $250 and watch all 6 hours of a how not to be an a-hole fan video before I am off the list.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t see anything tyrannical about a concern for public health.

Forced inoculation is tyranny. If you are vaccinated then why do care if I'm not?

According to your thinking, only unvaccinated people would be at risk. So why do want to take away my right to choose what I put in my body?

Forced inoculation is tyranny. If you are vaccinated then why do care if I'm not?
According to your thinking, only unvaccinated people would be at risk. So why do want to take away my right to choose what I put in my body?

Vaccines only work if just about everyone gets them. Hence why Polio was eradicated. It’s not perfect but it requires cooperation to reach peak effectiveness.
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Vaccines only work if just about everyone gets them. Hence why Polio was eradicated. It’s not perfect but it requires cooperation to reach peak effectiveness.

I won't be getting one, and if yours does not work, it has nothing to do with me.

Good luck stepping to me with your gun.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Or this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/05/coronavirus-strains-mutating-some-more-dangerous-than-others/3085752001/

Different strains make much sense. And it indicates why there may be problems with immunity even after exposure. If the NY/European strain spreads West, it may result in a whole new wave of the epidemic with much more dire effects. Thus the re-opening of states to travel could be absolutely a mistake. 

13 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I got a little too enthusiastic at a Guns N Roses concert. When you mix too many substances in the sun without drinking water, you may or may not end up in the infirmary. 

I have to pay $250 and watch all 6 hours of a how not to be an a-hole fan video before I am off the list.

You had an appetite for destruction? 

:-)