PFF Most Valuable Jets of the Decade

Terrible List

1- 2011 was Revis' last good year with Jets so he barely squeeks in under the wire

2- Not a big Sanchez fan but he deserves more credit than he gets for his 4 road playoff wins in his first two years. (yes I know defense and running game were major factors)

3,4 Rooting for Sam but am getting to the point that I have had enough of Jamal, but both need to show more before being on any list.

5. Huge Mangold fan, would bump him up not just on his on field performance but as guy who was a team leader and tried to set a tone as far as being all in!

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

2- Not a big Sanchez fan but he deserves more credit than he gets for his 4 road playoff wins in his first two years. (yes I know defense and running game were major factors)

Show me a team with 4 playoff wins in two seasons that didn’t have a good defense and running game thanks. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

The team has been pitiful.  No one deserves to be on the list.  

2009:  Jets go 9-7 win 2 playoff games. 

2010:  Jets go 11-5 win 2 playoff games. 

2011:  Jets sitting at 8-5 with 3 to go before Victor Cruz shreds Ryan’s D. 

There is a stretch in that span where the Jets go 18-4 the best such run in team history. 

Far from pitiful.  

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be my "team of the decade":

• QB:  Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • RB:  LaDainian Tomlinson
  • RB:  Bilal Powell
  • WR:  Brandon Marshall
  • WR:  Robby Anderson
  • WR:  Jeremy Kerley
  • TE:  Dustin Keller
  • LT:  D'Brickashaw Ferguson
  • LG:  Brian Winters
  • C :  Nick Mangold
  • RG:  Brandon Moore
  • RT:  Damien Woody
  • DE:  Muhammad Wilkerson
  • NT:  Sione Pouha
  • DT:  Leonard Williams
  • DE:  Sheldon Richardson
  • OLB:  Calvin Pace
  • ILB:  David Harris
  • ILB:  Bart Scott
  • OLB:  Jordan Jenkins
  • CB:  Darrelle Revis
  • CB:  Antonio Cromartie
  • CB:  Brian Poole
  • FS:  Jim Leonhard
  • SS:  Jamal Adams

Yuck.  What an awful decade.  

Ooooh I was getting ready to buttfumble you to oblivion for forgetting Cotch, but I guess it depends on your parameters for team of the decade.

Still, no Maybin or Clowney...and you of all people have Jamal on your list? Who’re you trying to fool!?!

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is a stretch in that span where the Jets go 18-4 the best such run in team history. 

Far from pitiful.  

SAR I

Problem is it’s an all decade team.  As good as that stretch was, the decade team and it started with that the Jets sitting at 8-5 with 3 to go before Victor Cruz shreds Ryan’s D which led to 10 years without playoffs

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Far from pitiful.  

SAR I

When does a decade start?  How long does it last?

Ooooh I was getting ready to buttfumble you to oblivion for forgetting Cotch, but I guess it depends on your parameters for team of the decade.

Still, no Maybin or Clowney...and you of all people have Jamal on your list? Who’re you trying to fool!?!

Cotchery’s last year with the team was 2010, and that was a rough year for him. Can’t put him on the team of the decade despite how much I liked him.

I considered putting Eric Smith over Adams to troll people. But I can’t stand that tripping-over-his-feet loser and couldn’t bring myself to do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Sanchez being high on a "wins above replacement" list is utterly laughable. He's a replacement level QB.

Fitzpatrick was replacement level in 2015. Sanchez was consistently far below replacement level even in his best years. Football Outsiders confirms that.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

You stopped your list 2011. It's 2020, Kinda pitiful at least.

The decade was awful.  But that Sanchez run from October '09 through November '11 was the best stretch in team history.  Better than Namath ever did with the AFL team.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem is it’s an all decade team.  As good as that stretch was, the decade team and it started with that the Jets sitting at 8-5 with 3 to go before Victor Cruz shreds Ryan’s D which led to 10 years without playoffs

As well as being the only QB to win a playoff game for us, Mark Sanchez played the most games at QB in that decade for us, thus the reason to stand up and make sure he is shown a modicum of respect.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cotchery’s last year with the team was 2010, and that was a rough year for him. Can’t put him on the team of the decade despite how much I liked him.

I considered putting Eric Smith over Adams to troll people. But I can’t stand that tripping-over-his-feet loser and couldn’t bring myself to do it.

There are a few athletes that whenever they’re involved in a play, I just feel like it’s an auto L. Hilton Armstrong (UConn center back in the day), Kyle Wilson, Eric Smith are probably my top 3 for this category.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The decade is 2010-19, people. The 2009 team isn’t part of it.

This is like when SAR I claims we swept the Bills last season.

Untitle22d.jpg

A quarter of the season was played in 2010.  It's what happens when you have a nice, long playoff run. 

SAR I

Untitle22d.jpg&key=5a20d7290d023d149fbf640b0348d8264b26c772963f75c760410978e1160b8c
A quarter of the season was played in 2010.  It's what happens when you have a nice, long playoff run. 
SAR I

That’s not how this works. The 2009 postseason is part of the 2000-09 decade, even if the playoffs were in 2010.

But sure, move those goalposts any way you want if it means that much to you. It’s what you do best!
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The decade was awful.  But that Sanchez run from October '09 through November '11 was the best stretch in team history.  Better than Namath ever did with the AFL team.

SAR I

Agreed.  Some of the best games I got to watch with my boys when they were little. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fitzpatrick was replacement level in 2015. Sanchez was consistently far below replacement level even in his best years. Football Outsiders confirms that.

Maybe your definition of "replacement level" is different than mine, but to me it's backup caliber, i.e. you can pick up a guy off the street to play at that level. I think FItzpatrick was above replacement level in 2015 -- he was top 10 in QBR. Although it's probably fair that Sanchez was below that level, at least in 2009 and 2012.

Maybe your definition of "replacement level" is different than mine, but to me it's backup caliber, i.e. you can pick up a guy off the street to play at that level. I think FItzpatrick was above replacement level in 2015 -- he was top 10 in QBR. Although it's probably fair that Sanchez was below that level, at least in 2009 and 2012.

Per FO, in 2015 Fitzpatrick was +3.5 % DVOA (# 14 ranked QB) meaning he was slightly above replacement level:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2015

Sanchez was consistently in the negative in DVOA, always well below replacement level except in 2010. Even that season, he was -4.3 % (# 24 ranked QB):

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2010

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s not how this works. The 2009 postseason is part of the 2000-09 decade, even if the playoffs were in 2010.

But sure, move those goalposts any way you want if it means that much to you. It’s what you do best!

So games actually played in 2010 weren’t played in 2010?

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be my "team of the decade":

• QB:  Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • RB:  LaDainian Tomlinson
  • RB:  Bilal Powell
  • WR:  Brandon Marshall
  • WR:  Robby Anderson
  • WR:  Jeremy Kerley
  • TE:  Dustin Keller
  • LT:  D'Brickashaw Ferguson
  • LG:  Brian Winters
  • C :  Nick Mangold
  • RG:  Brandon Moore
  • RT:  Damien Woody
  • DE:  Muhammad Wilkerson
  • NT:  Sione Pouha
  • DT:  Leonard Williams
  • DE:  Sheldon Richardson
  • OLB:  Calvin Pace
  • ILB:  David Harris
  • ILB:  Bart Scott
  • OLB:  Jordan Jenkins
  • CB:  Darrelle Revis
  • CB:  Antonio Cromartie
  • CB:  Brian Poole
  • FS:  Jim Leonhard
  • SS:  Jamal Adams

Yuck.  What an awful decade.  

You did a good job with both lists 80. This one was really good, and the approximate value thing was interesting.

• Upvote 1