Off Topic Clubs - Beta: Coming Soon

Okay, sorry for the delay everyone. Was really busy the past two weeks. I finally took a few hours tonight and set this up a little more. I had to figure out how to change the rights so Clubs had the correct permissions & can only be started by Admins.

I will post the link soon, just need to check a few things first.

Thanks.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would be tempted to let it sit in a private forum but damn that was painful. Think about this, google banned us and never even told us why. No notification in google search console, nothing. We had an ad network with a rep, and they help us reapply.

The other thing about that thread was I was getting a decent amount of emails from models and lawyers, please take down my \ my client's photo.

Probably better left behind.

That should bother everyone that Google, has the power to effectively select who has the right to Freedom of Speech... It's time to contact your congress (person) and tell them to repeal section 230 of the communications act.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would be tempted to let it sit in a private forum but damn that was painful. Think about this, google banned us and never even told us why. No notification in google search console, nothing. We had an ad network with a rep, and they help us reapply.

The other thing about that thread was I was getting a decent amount of emails from models and lawyers, please take down my \ my client's photo.

I didn't realize how bad the situation was.  It must really suck to get emails from models!  If you'd like, I can manage that list for you.  :)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

That should bother everyone that Google, has the power to effectively select who has the right to Freedom of Speech... It's time to contact your congress (person) and tell them to repeal section 230 of the communications act.

Actually that isn't what happened here. Google banned us for violating the rules that they set forward (no nudity). They have that rule because the corporate advertisers that spend money on these ads require it.

My beef isn't with the policy, they didn't violate our free speech. We are free to do whatever we want. We just aren't free to run their ads if we have nudity on the site.  :)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't realize how bad the situation was.  It must really suck to get emails from models!  If you'd like, I can manage that list for you.  :)

This is great, lol.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Freedom of speech is a constitutional right to not have your speech infringed or censored by the government.

It is not a freedom from consequences and it is does not superceed the right to free association. Google has the right as a private business entity to associate with anyone they want. That does not violate anything like freedom of speech.

Now, we can complain that a company like Google has to much reach and that they're operating on such a large scale that they can dictate terms and silence voices if they want or push an agenda. Which is a very scary thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Actually that isn't what happened here. Google banned us for violating the rules that they set forward (no nudity). They have that rule because the corporate advertisers that spend money on these ads require it.

My beef isn't with the policy, they didn't violate our free speech. We are free to do whatever we want. We just aren't free to run their ads if we have nudity on the site.  :)

ok my bad... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 68JET11 said:

ok my bad... 

No worries. I do wish google would have sent out an alert of some sort. That is part that really bothers me. But it is more corporate douchebaggery than anything else lol.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:34 AM, Butterfield said:

This will surely last a long time.  

Unfortunately this was tried at the Hangar at JI using a subset political forum, and it was the personal vitriol that developed between posters that bled out to the main forum which got people frustrated and ironically sowed the seeds for this forum. I’m surprised that didn’t pause the staff here from trying that experiment again. This place is so superior to JI that I would hate to see that happen.  Either way I know EY is going to keep his head on a swivel. 

128A12E8-5307-4B69-B398-19362BB3EFC6.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

it was the personal vitriol that developed between posters that bled out to the main forum which got people frustrated and ironically sowed the seeds for this forum. I’m surprised that didn’t pause the staff here from trying that experiment again. 

25+ posters of varying viewpoints have participated in a separate QuickTopic for the last two weeks talking about BLM and other issues.  It's gone well, and hasn't bled into the main forums.

The key difference is people, like in the QuickTopic, had to actively choose to participate.  You can completely ignore it if you choose simply by not joining up.  It was far too easy for trouble makers/extremists to participate in it on JI.  There will also be more stringent rules for the clubs than there were on those JI threads.  It was like the Wild West there.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

Freedom of speech is a constitutional right to not have your speech infringed or censored by the government.

It is not a freedom from consequences and it is does not superceed the right to free association. Google has the right as a private business entity to associate with anyone they want. That does not violate anything like freedom of speech.

Now, we can complain that a company like Google has to much reach and that they're operating on such a large scale that they can dictate terms and silence voices if they want or push an agenda. Which is a very scary thing.

Get your point, I wasn't saying in my right of freedom of speech that we all go around and say we're going to kill people, or that kind of thing. I meant to express our views without fear of being censored because it's a different point of view than Google, or the other social media giants have.  I like your third point as well

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm in for a JN history lesson too.  Especially while we have no sports to talk about anyway.

There isn't much to lesson on.  I was a Mod on JI, and one of the more active in the Politics Forum and Hampur, and so I'll give you the quick and dirty:

1. The Politics Forum was a place of deep division between the usual left/right meta.  This was compounded by existing issues in the off-topic forum (the Hampur) amongst various groups/posters.

2. Disagreements/hatred/sh*t-posting from that forum spilled over regularly into the main forum.

3. Mods (one specifically ) had serious meltdowns in there that spilled out onto the main forum and caused great drama/problems.  

4. Posters thought moderation in the main forum was because they disagreed with Mods in the Politics Forum (sometimes true in fairness, most of the time not) and it created bad feelings and distrust/hatred of some Mods.

5. The actual content was generally poor in there, mostly uninformed yet seriously angry/aggressive posters wanking at each other endlessly over the same issues and never getting or going anywhere.

To but it in concise form, it was a sh*tshow, obviously.  It served little purpose, and created great problems all round.  

I am hoping Max's idea works better.  He's being exceedingly kind even offering the Clubs IMO, given the risks.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There isn't much to lesson on.  I was a Mod on JI, and one of the more active in the Politics Forum and Hampur, and so I'll give you the quick and dirty:

1. The Politics Forum was a place of deep division between the usual left/right meta.  This was compounded by existing issues in the off-topic forum (the Hampur) amongst various groups/posters.

2. Disagreements/hatred/sh*t-posting from that forum spilled over regularly into the main forum.

3. Mods (one specifically ) had serious meltdowns in there that spilled out onto the main forum and caused great drama/problems.  

4. Posters thought moderation in the main forum was because they disagreed with Mods in the Politics Forum (sometimes true in fairness, most of the time not) and it created bad feelings and distrust/hatred of some Mods.

5. The actual content was generally poor in there, mostly uninformed yet seriously angry/aggressive posters wanking at each other endlessly over the same issues and never getting or going anywhere.

To but it in concise form, it was a sh*tshow, obviously.  It served little purpose, and created great problems all round.  

I am hoping Max's idea works better.  He's being exceedingly kind even offering the Clubs IMO, given the risks.  

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the summary. 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I am saying this with 100% sincerity and not trying to poke fun at anyone.

I had NO idea people took message boards that seriously.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

The silver-lining there is that @Jetsfan80 was actually spreading JetNation brand awareness into the modeling community, so we've got that going for us.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Arsis said:

Let's have some real balls and have a club about the real debate that ruins families and starts blood fueds.

Deontology v Utilitarianism

haha yeah! And after that we can discuss the pros and cons of Skibbidybopinism vs Woogieboogieology!

See? I can make up words, too, to sound smart.

• Haha 1