Patriots create Cap Space by settling with murderer, psycho per ESPN

What??

Am I wrong?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29446424/sources-patriots-settle-compensation-grievances-antonio-brown-aaron-hernandez

Sources: Patriots settle compensation grievances with Antonio Brown, Aaron Hernandez

The New England Patriots have settled compensation grievances with Antonio Brown and Aaron Hernandez over the past week, which creates notable salary-cap space for the team, league sources told ESPN.

The Patriots had owed wide receiver Brown $9 million, and as part of the settlement he will instead receive $5 million, per sources.

The settlement is notable, as some experts viewed the Patriots' chances of recouping any money as low. The Patriots gave Brown a $9 million signing bonus on Sept. 7, and half of it was to be paid on Sept. 23, three days after they cut him. The other half was to be paid in January.

In addition to that $4 million credit on the Patriots' cap, the club received a $2.55 million credit after settling a long-running compensation grievance with the late Hernandez, per sources.

The salary-cap space is significant for the Patriots, who have been tight to the league's limit.

Earlier this week, prior to restructuring the contract of running back Rex Burkhead, the Patriots were down to less than $500,000 in space. The club now has $7.79 million in room under the salary cap.

• Thumb Down 1

A+ thread title.

200.gif

Patriots insiders are already linking the team to Clowney in speculative talks. This is the same pattern that preceded the Cam Newton signing that was predicted, but still felt like a surprise when it was announced. Let’s break down the details of a potential fit, and what would need to happen to bring Clowney to the Patriots.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/07/patriots-jadeveon-clowney-free-agent/

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

How much more can I despise this organization? I’m sure they told Cams agents, we’re right against the cap, SEE, fully knowing they would settle these 2 issues with contracts before the ink dried on Cams deal.

I hope they finally fall on their faces this year! A Cam lis franc part II, Stidham concussion, down to 3rd QB like the Jets last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

And they managed to do this after signing Cam at bargain basement prices. 

Exactly . I hate Beliprick but I do give him some credit. If they do this before signing Cam then they couldn't have pleaded poverty and no cap space and signed Cam on the cheap. Bet Cam wishes he had waited just a bit longer.

17 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Exactly . I hate Beliprick but I do give him some credit. If they do this before signing Cam then they couldn't have pleaded poverty and no cap space and signed Cam on the cheap. Bet Cam wishes he had waited just a bit longer.

Cam knows he was bamboozled. Cam loves no one but himself so I’m really not that worried, no way this guy plays injured under that deal. Hammys a little tight, sorry Bill, can’t go. 

How is this even allowed?  Pats or no pats.

9 mill singing bonus the pats refuse to pay, the league just lets the two parties settle?

I greatly dislike when a team or Gm does something stupid and then weasels out of it later on.  (Hockey is great for this both LA and Jersey fked the rest of the teams in the league by not paying for their own idiocy.)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

US Gymnastics is degenerate and abusive,  not corrupt. 

LOL 

It's the corruption that led to it all. Lots of cover ups and sweeping things under the rugs. 

I'm sure we can all agree that employing a crazy man, employing a murderer, cheating the rule book, and circumventing salary caps is far better than allowing 100 plus underage girls to be sexually assaulted. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JTJet said:

It's the corruption that led to it all. Lots of cover ups and sweeping things under the rugs. 

I'm sure we can all agree that employing a crazy man, employing a murderer, cheating the rule book, and circumventing salary caps is far better than allowing 100 plus underage girls to be sexually assaulted. 

More than 500, per the ESPN documentary.

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

How is this even allowed?  Pats or no pats.

9 mill singing bonus the pats refuse to pay, the league just lets the two parties settle?

I greatly dislike when a team or Gm does something stupid and then weasels out of it later on.  (Hockey is great for this both LA and Jersey fked the rest of the teams in the league by not paying for their own idiocy.)

Even if they won some money back from these players.....why does this impact the 2020 cap?  Those should have been pure losses from that standpoint.

I assume the CBA supports these things but this is the first time I've heard that this was even possible.  Can we go back and get some additional cap relief for Trumaine Johnson being a POS, too?  Or for having to deal with Mike Maccagnan being the GM for 5 years?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

To act like some jet fans!?!?

Well you are the franchise whose QB fumbled off of his own teammates ass. So makes sense.

Hey Hernandez, Antonio Brown, players the usual dumb ass pats fans defended to the ends of the earth.  Not to mention being docked by the league 3 times for cheating.

You do perfectly represent the average pats fan so you have that going for you.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey Hernandez, Antonio Brown, players the usual dumb ass pats fans defended to the ends of the earth.  Not to mention being docked by the league 3 times for cheating.

You do perfectly represent the average pats fan so you have that going for you.

Show me where I have defended Hernandez. Show me where I defended A.Brown b.s. tweets?

I'll wait 

And let me use your same logic.. I should think less of your franchise cause they once employed M.Vick and Kellen Winslow Jr.

A convicted dog killer and rapist.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:19 PM, ghost_in_pads02 said:

More butthurt.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, Beerfish said:

Maybe that is why your boy Hernandez offed himself in prison?

Wonderful Savagery ???

clapping applause GIF

Wanted to post the JFK "When a meme is so savage it blows your mind" meme but figured due to the delicate sensibilities around here it might warrant a "time out"

So instead I leave you with this:

IMG_20191010_223029.thumb.jpg.c5185516bdb03c4e5aea6b7a6b4a0891.jpg