Dead Last in the Power Rankings

TMAC

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

jetshistory.jpg

In the 20 years they have owned the team, the Johnson's have delivered 11 non-losing seasons, 9 winning seasons, 6 playoff seasons, 12 playoff games, and 6 playoff wins.  That is a successful stretch by any measure, any Jets fan would take being in the playoffs or in the playoff conversation 50% of the time.

Every team that loads up and goes for Championships crashes and burns shortly thereafter.  It's how the salary cap works.  The Bills and Dolphins are in the midst of 30 year rebuilds trying to get back to their 90's glory.  The 49ers had a long down period, the Broncos too, the Raiders aren't close to their 00's level, it's just how the NFL is.  We are paying the price today for the Rex Ryan runs and its aftermath.

The road to sustained success is to get a GM and HC that can work together for many years, tear down what's there, and rebuild from the ground up.  That's where we are.  And if Darnold is the franchise quarterback we think he is, we are on the cusp of winning right now, certainly in a few years.

SAR I

Automated fact-checker responses:

1) "That is a successful stretch by any measure, any Jets fan would take a being in the playoffs or in the playoff conversation 50% of the time." FALSE - I would not

2) "The Bills and Dolphins are in the midst of 30 year rebuilds . . ." FALSE - The Bills are a playoff team now and just got done toying with us for four quarters. They have rebuilt, they are now working on becoming perennial contenders. Big difference. 

3) "The road to sustained success is to get a GM and HC that can work together for many years, tear down what's there, and rebuild from the ground up" TRUE - but we don't have a HC. We have a glorified OC whose offenses are among the worst in the league every year except for when he's coaching Peyton Manning. 

4) "We are paying the price today for the Rex Ryan runs and its aftermath." - FALSE - We are paying the price for being one of the worst drafting teams in the history of professional sports. Rex is only a small part of that history. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Yup.

This is the only time when following the Jets that I've felt we're actually the worst team in the league - especially now the Jags have shown some life.

Even amidst all the garbage of Geno, Clemens, Bollinger etc. there were redeeming qualities and some teams who were just frankly much worse. This roster is just empty of top talent. The best player is pretty clearly Marcus Maye, a player who many here were (bizarrely) calling trash last season. The head coach is a total charlatan who will be lucky not to be blacklisted from the league. A man with a track record of making bad situations significantly worse. Bowles, Herm, Mangini - They look like great coaches in comparison to this fraud.

I think there's been darker times as a Jets fan - This is a rebuild and there's a lot of draft capital and cap to invest down the road. We could end up with the best QB prospect since Luck if we are actually as bad as it looks, a player who coaches will be lining up to work with so it's not all bad. The product on the field however is going to be so rough for the next few months. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's an opinion obviously. But I'd bet anyone right now  that Lawrence will go to more pro bowls (or any other measure of traditional QB success) than Darnold by the end of his career.

PS: Darnold did not look "every bit as good" as Lawrence, anyway. 

Right, he was the consensus #1 overall pick going into the draft because he sucked. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You want to give Gase another high draft pick QB to ruin?

Any scenario where we get Lawrence isn’t a scenario where Adam Gase is still here.

If we have that pick it means Darnold and Gase are both done.

We’d also be an extremely appealing prospect for potential head coaches with Lawrence, cap room and a boat load of draft picks.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Any scenario where we get Lawrence isn’t a scenario where Adam Gase is still here.

If we have that pick it means Darnold and Gase are both done.

We’d also be an extremely appealing prospect for potential head coaches with Lawrence, cap room and a boat load of draft picks.

Disagree.  Gase has manipulated the Johnsons into giving him at least 2 more years.  

Jets can go 0-16.  Gase will be the head coach next year

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

They do when Cleveland has the #1 overall pick. Thank God we didn't end up with Baker. 

Baker has been no worse than Darnold. Both look to be regressing from early promise, both franchises look ridiculous for passing on Jackson.

Darnold was nowhere close to the prospect Lawrence currently is. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Consensus as everyone expected Cleveland to take Darnold 1st, not Baker. Are you saying BAker was the consensus #1? I think all of us were shocked by that pick. 

If you want to debate something other than dictionary definitions, I'd like to know your basis for saying Darnold "looked every bit as good" as Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Disagree.  Gase has manipulated the Johnsons into giving him at least 2 more years.  

Jets can go 0-16.  Gase will be the head coach next year

No he won't. If the Jets actually get worse than they were last season, he is out of here. JD will fire him. I have faith JD will do the right thing. I can't see a scenario where CJ overrules JD on this. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Baker has been no worse than Darnold. Both look to be regressing from early promise, both franchises look ridiculous for passing on Jackson.

I don't really agree, I think Baker is going down hard this season. Cleveland put him in a great situation and he is blowing it. Darnold was put on a horse ? team and has looked serviceable . He was bad on Sunday, I agree but he will improve. Hopefully it's fast. Schedule is brutal this season so I don't expect a lot next week either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

You do realize the browns lost 38-6?

Against Baltimore.

Baltimore >>>> Buffalo

But, with that said, if you'd like to spend your time today arguing that we really were the 2nd worst team on the field on Sunday, and definitely not THE worst, by all means Phil, you go right ahead. 

Have a blast, knock yourself out.  When you're done, you can google "distinction without a difference" next.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Baker has OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Njoku and got 6 points.  Sam got 17 points with Chris Hogan, Donte Moncreif and Josh Adams

If it wasn’t for Fitz Baker is the worst starting qb in the nfl

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Against Baltimore.

Baltimore >>>> Buffalo

But, with that said, if you'd like to spend your time today arguing that we really were the 2nd worst team on the field on Sunday, and definitely not THE worst, by all means Phil, you go right ahead. 

Have a blast, knock yourself out.  When you're done, you can google "distinction without a difference" next.

The Baltimore team you think is so much better than the bills won the same number of playoff games last year 

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker has OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Njoku and got 6 points.  Sam got 17 points with Chris Hogan, Donte Moncreif and Josh Adams

If it wasn’t for Fitz Baker is the worst starting qb in the nfl

Man someone should have told them that last Sunday's game would be the indicator and only indicator of current ability. Although it's quite laughable that anyone would use that game to defend Sam for any reason. Yeah Crowder sprung for 60 yards after the Bills missed a tackle. That's basically the difference. 

Their trajectory since coming into the league has been very similar. Baker reached higher peaks in his rookie season and was comfortably better. Both have struggled since. Neither are worth persisting with unless they show serious improvement this season.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Woody had a perfect opportunity to hand the reigns over to a real football person while he was in England. Instead he brings in his brother, who no one knew existed, with zero business experience to run a billion dollar professional football team. This is not a franchise trying to win games.

That is, however, exactly how billionaires who have inherited all their wealth operate.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-2-packers-vault-into-top-three

Rank

New York Jets

New York Jets
0-1

Previous rank: No. 25

Outclassed and outcoached. That's the succinct way to describe the season opener, a 27-17 loss to the Bills that wasn't nearly that close in reality. Josh Allen piled up nearly 400 yards with his arm and legs, while his counterpart, Sam Darnold, showed no evidence of greater comfort in his second year in Adam Gase's system. Darnold has the deck stacked against him on multiple levels, but that doesn't excuse the errant passes and poor decision-making that we saw for most of the afternoon in Orchard Park. Darnold now gets the 49ers in Week 2, and it looks like he won't have Le'Veon Bell, who could miss multiple weeks with a hamstring injury. (UPDATE: The Jets are placing Bell on injured reserve, per NFL Network's Kim Jones, which means they will be without him for at least three weeks.) The Jets feel like a bad news factory right now.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

In the 20 years they have owned the team, the Johnson's have delivered 11 non-losing seasons, 9 winning seasons, 6 playoff seasons, 12 playoff games, and 6 playoff wins.  That is a successful stretch by any measure, any Jets fan would take being in the playoffs or in the playoff conversation 50% of the time.

Every team that loads up and goes for Championships crashes and burns shortly thereafter.  It's how the salary cap works.  The Bills and Dolphins are in the midst of 30 year rebuilds trying to get back to their 90's glory.  The 49ers had a long down period, the Broncos too, the Raiders aren't close to their 00's level, it's just how the NFL is.  We are paying the price today for the Rex Ryan runs and its aftermath.

The road to sustained success is to get a GM and HC that can work together for many years, tear down what's there, and rebuild from the ground up.  That's where we are.  And if Darnold is the franchise quarterback we think he is, we are on the cusp of winning right now, certainly in a few years.

SAR I

eat my ***** bro

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Actually no, what your stats mean is that out of 20 years, the Johnson-led Jets have made the playoffs only 30% of the time. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Man someone should have told them that last Sunday's game would be the indicator and only indicator of current ability. Although it's quite laughable that anyone would use that game to defend Sam for any reason. Yeah Crowder sprung for 60 yards after the Bills missed a tackle. That's basically the difference. 

Their trajectory since coming into the league has been very similar. Baker reached higher peaks in his rookie season and was comfortably better. Both have struggled since. Neither are worth persisting with unless they show serious improvement this season.

You guys need to realize the fact that it’s over for Faker.  Thursday Night is gonna be fun