Drain the swamp! MetLife Stadium ranked among worst NFL venues

joewilly12

11 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

It's a trash stadium but it does the job. Hopefully someday they will move back to Queens / Long Island where they dominate 

Only hope is a new owner somehow gets a west side stadium built.  Bloomberg tried to help us out but hey

Another possibility is knock down Nassau Coliseum and put up jets stadium in that location in Uniondale

7 hours ago, jgb said:

This isn’t a place for casual Jets fans. Almost everyone has been there who posts here often. Why does it hurt your feelings so badly to say it’s kind of an ugly stadium? Besides who cares if Jets didn’t suck, no one would care about the aesthetics.

"Kind of an ugly stadium", you mean like Belial was kind of the better-looking twin in the movie 'Basket Case'? People get very sensitive about it because nobody wants to admit that they made a horrible ill-advised investment . . . because that's how it was presented, as an "investment".  If anyone who bought a PSL had any sense, they'd bail today and buy back  in tomorrow on the secondary market for a 1/3 of the price, especially if you buy back in in a very pricey section and the original owner only has a couple of grand left owed on it and you can stomach the ticket price. Aside from that there are tons of deals to be had for peanuts and not through the Jets FO, who I've grown to despise after 57 years for a variety of reasons that I would love to regale everyone with when I have more time. To be clear, my Daddy and my Uncle were going to Titans games at the Polo Grounds and then bought in as STHs in 1963, so the relationship is even longer than it appears.

It's amazing to me that there are some folks that just can't admit that the place is a POS Palace. I'm not sure if it has more personality than a hospital waiting room or a Funeral Home, the jury is still out; but everyone seems to forget that this was the result TWO venues and we should've gotten something that defies the imagination. I really have a sh*t ton to say about all of this, but I have to cut it short for now. I will leave off in the moment to ask if anyone remembers Woody Johnson the Rube saying that The New Dump had a "59th Street Bridge vibe"?  Jackass. Not you, him.

EDIT: Speaking of 'Basket Case', check out the guy with the old school knit Jet hat on at :58. The logo may be hidden, but trust me that is 100% it.  Yes, yes, of course I own this movie, who doesn't?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Of the dozens of us who post daily and hundreds of us who post monthly I think maybe 5 have PSL’s and 10 are season ticket holders.  Some of the loudest voices against the stadium live in Florida, Virginia, California, even Europe. 

I’m not a fan of overreaction or hypocrisy. People that don’t regularly attend games or have season tickets should not care about the appearance of a stadium that isn’t intended for their use. 

Agreed.  It’s really not a matter of sucking or aesthetics, it’s a matter of incessant Eeyore’s looking for any SOJF reasons to hate on the team they (supposedly) support, and the fact that there are more Jets fans in MetLife every Sunday than there are Seahawk fans or Patriots fans in their respective stadiums is a source of pride they should recognize. It’s the diehard fans that matter, not the color of the plastic seats and aluminum facade. 

SAR I 

I don't fault anyone for assessing time/money investment versus perceived entertainment value received, regardless of what their ultimate conclusion is. One could argue that "real fans" invest in a team fully at all times--good or bad--but it could also be argued that "real fans" are the ones that are the most disappointed by poor performance and they react accordingly. 

Put it this way--if your kid and the kid down the street are caught shoplifting--which one are you disappointed in? Which one do you criticize/ground and nag to your friends about? Disappointment is a sign of emotional investment, not a consequence of not caring enough.

• Upvote 2

While i don't like @SAR I questioning the authenticity of some posters' fandom, his comments hit the nail on the head. 

MetLife was built to be functional and fit for purpose. You don't need the bells and whistles of some sh*tty white elephant, especially in NY/NJ, where there's plenty else to do.

SoFi is more of a waste of money than anything else, who the hell even watches the Rams in LA, there's no dedicated fanbase there. 

Stadiums should be recognized for their game atmosphere, not for all the extraneous crap. A stadium should primarily serve as a home for it's main occupants, in this case, the football fans on the east coast. MetLife does its job.

Why would i be interested in the 'aesthetics' of a stadium when i'm there to watch a football game? If i want aesthetics, i have all of manhattan to stare at: New and old. At the risk of sounding 'snobby', I don't get my 'pseudo-intellectual' kicks from visiting stadiums. This is not f*cking Arlington, texas, where jerryworld is the biggest thing in town, with it's 'all-in-one' stadium transforming into a museum/restaurant/hospitality/misc event/big screen thing. 

It's not perfect, in fact i hated taking the train there on game days (if you're not driving, its a pain in the ass). But as someone who heard 'Giants stadium' taunts growing up, i'm more than satisfied with a stadium that feels truly ours. 

And we have - or at least used to have - excellent tailgating. 

It's different when you actually attend games, it's a sentiment that's hard to explain. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

Put it this way--if your kid and the kid down the street are caught shoplifting--which one are you disappointed in? Which one do you criticize/ground and nag to your friends about? Disappointment is a sign of emotional investment, not a consequence of not caring enough.

The same emotional investment makes you more likely to forgive your kid. You're willing to overlook flaws, because...he's your kid, he's family. 

You wouldn't give a sh*t about the kid on the street, he's somebody else's problem. 

Yeah, stadium looks sh*tty to somebody else. But it 'looks' and more importantly feels alright to me. 

I have similar views on the US open, over in flushing. So many reasons to dislike the place, the commute, everything...but that didn't stop me from going every year. The experience of the game is what counts. 

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’ve recently seen games at both Centurylink in Seattle and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincy.

Centurylink holds 69,000 fans.  MetLife 82,500 fans.  Both stadiums have their share of opposing fans in attendance.

Every Sunday there are more Jets fans cheering the losing Jets than there are Seahawk fans cheering the elite Seahawks.  That's all that matters.  You can keep the pretty dress and the makeup, it's all about how many home fans are in the building wearing team colors and cheering the team on.

There is far more pride to be taken from that fact than there is any downside to, ooh, aluminum louvers instead of (wait for it) clear glass.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Why would i be interested in the 'aesthetics' of a stadium when i'm there to watch a football game? If i want aesthetics, i have all of manhattan to stare at: New and old. At the risk of sounding 'snobby', I don't get my 'pseudo-intellectual' kicks from visiting stadiums. This is not f*cking Arlington, texas, where jerryworld is the biggest thing in town

I loved your post, especially this part.  MetLife isn't the crown jewel of Manhattan because no stadium could ever be.  It's a seating bowl with big concourses, short lines, and ample parking.  That's all it needs to be.  If I want to be awe-struck by architecture, I'll stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge or gaze upon the Chrysler Building.  

24 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It's different when you actually attend games, it's a sentiment that's hard to explain. 

Exactly right.  We don't care what MetLife looks like on TV because we aren't watching TV.  Compared to Giants Stadium, Yankee Stadium, CitiField, and Madison Square Garden, MetLife Stadium is a dream when it comes to what matters to a season ticket holder-  it's full, but it doesn't feel crowded.  The food choices are excellent, the ingress/egress is fast, the parking is plentiful, the concourses are wide, the lines for food or the bathroom are short, and the atmosphere is great.  Jets fans are a loyal, vocal bunch and games are a lot of fun sitting next to them.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The same emotional investment makes you more likely to forgive your kid. You're willing to overlook flaws, because...he's your kid, he's family. 

You wouldn't give a sh*t about the kid on the street, he's somebody else's problem. 

Yeah, stadium looks sh*tty to somebody else. But it 'looks' and more importantly feels alright to me. 

I have similar views on the US open, over in flushing. So many reasons to dislike the place, the commute, everything...but that didn't stop me from going every year. The experience of the game is what counts. 

Yep, and that's all subjective. No one is in a position to challenge what value someone else gets from an experience. MetLife looks pretty ugly to me, but that would never keep me away. A terrible team, however, would.

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep, and that's all subjective. No one is in a position to challenge what value someone else gets from an experience. MetLife looks pretty ugly to me, but that would never keep me away. A terrible team, however, would.

So....just to carry on the kid analogy, if your kid is...'ugly'...and he doesn't do well in school, you're willing to put him up for adoption? ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

So....just to carry on the kid analogy, if your kid is...'ugly'...and he doesn't do well in school, you're willing to put him up for adoption? ?

No but I'll sure as Hell bitch to my buddies at the bar what a dipsh*t he is.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

All I say is I was offering my services gratis to the Committee to help bring the WSS to the Jets, complete with retractable dome and tied to NEEDED Exhibition Space for NY, moderate housing and luxury shopping and eating, as well ongoing revenue for license purchasers and LUNATICS were saying that NJ would be better......

Now we can honestly say that what we have now is better than this...

2026 New Jets Stadium. There is no franchise in sports like… | by Ira  Hernowitz | Medium

They were such pussies. They just needed to find another spot for this.

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly right.  We don't care what MetLife looks like on TV because we aren't watching TV.  Compared to Giants Stadium, Yankee Stadium, CitiField, and Madison Square Garden, MetLife Stadium is a dream when it comes to what matters to a season ticket holder-  it's full, but it doesn't feel crowded.  The food choices are excellent, the ingress/egress is fast, the parking is plentiful, the concourses are wide, the lines for food or the bathroom are short, and the atmosphere is great.  Jets fans are a loyal, vocal bunch and games are a lot of fun sitting next to them.  

SAR I

Completely agree. 

All the other venues, especially MSG get overcrowded. People are squashed up against each other when you're leaving a Rangers game in the evening. Even if the atmosphere is good (it usually is...or was anyway). Nowhere to move. Then its the same densely-packed environment when you're taking the LIRR back home from Penn, or the subway. 

Once you've been through that, you appreciate MetLife a lot more. Its more of a city thing i guess, space is at a premium. 

• Post of the Week 1

Not only is metlife a dump but you can't even tell who plays there. When I walk through Yankee Stadium and MSG I can feel the history. There's a sense of pride for the teams that play there and the events that have taken place at those venues. When they decided to build a new stadium they ****ed it up in every way possible.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Not only is metlife a dump but you can't even tell who plays there. When I walk through Yankee Stadium and MSG I can feel the history. There's a sense of pride for the teams that play there and the events that have taken place at those venues. When they decided to build a new stadium they ****ed it up in every way possible.

Given the history of the Jets, it's a positive we don't "feel it" when we are there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

While i don't like @SAR I questioning the authenticity of some posters' fandom, his comments hit the nail on the head. 

MetLife was built to be functional and fit for purpose. You don't need the bells and whistles of some sh*tty white elephant, especially in NY/NJ, where there's plenty else to do.

SoFi is more of a waste of money than anything else, who the hell even watches the Rams in LA, there's no dedicated fanbase there. 

Stadiums should be recognized for their game atmosphere, not for all the extraneous crap. A stadium should primarily serve as a home for it's main occupants, in this case, the football fans on the east coast. MetLife does its job.

Why would i be interested in the 'aesthetics' of a stadium when i'm there to watch a football game? If i want aesthetics, i have all of manhattan to stare at: New and old. At the risk of sounding 'snobby', I don't get my 'pseudo-intellectual' kicks from visiting stadiums. This is not f*cking Arlington, texas, where jerryworld is the biggest thing in town, with it's 'all-in-one' stadium transforming into a museum/restaurant/hospitality/misc event/big screen thing. 

It's not perfect, in fact i hated taking the train there on game days (if you're not driving, its a pain in the ass). But as someone who heard 'Giants stadium' taunts growing up, i'm more than satisfied with a stadium that feels truly ours. 

And we have - or at least used to have - excellent tailgating. 

True. But if you spend $1.6 billion, no matter how high construction costs in NY/NJ may be, you have to have something better to show for it.

As a former PSL holder, felt like the people who designed and built it had never been to an NFL game nor a big concert. Getting in and out is a nightmare. Ramps empty into concessions and concourses like a battle scene in a  war movie . There's no flow. Traffic and bathroom access are worse than in Giants Stadium. If the big selling point was "functionality", they did not come close. No idea if this has improved but last concert I went to 2 summers ago, despite a Verizon gate there was no Verizon service. 

When you are in your seat, it's a nice place to watch the game.  That's about it. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

it's full, but it doesn't feel crowded.  The food choices are excellent, the ingress/egress is fast, the parking is plentiful, the concourses are wide, the lines for food or the bathroom are short, and the atmosphere is great.  Jets fans are a loyal, vocal bunch and games are a lot of fun sitting next to them.  

SAR I

1.The concourses might be wide but when 80,000 people are walking through them it feels just like MSG, which I don't have a problem with btw. stadiums are supposed to be jam packed. 

2. The lines aren't short. I have spent the whole halftime and then some waiting to get food and too many of the people who are working behind the counter have no idea who ordered what.

There are more non interested fans, hoity toity fans and opposing teams fans some  who have no clue about football in the seats than there ever was. 

PSL's forced out many longtime dedicated fans who never sold out and always showed regardless of the game time, opponent,weather,win-loss record we were there every week. 

MetLife is a corporate venue many seats are owned by corporations who give tickets away to anyone who will take them. 

Giants stadium was falling down but they didn't have to build a quick fix replacement the stadium could have been the mecca of NFL stadiums. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

True. But if you spend $1.6 billion, no matter how high construction costs in NY/NJ may be, you have to have something better to show for it.

As a former PSL holder, felt like the people who designed and built it had never been to an NFL game nor a big concert. Getting in and out is a nightmare. Ramps empty into concessions and concourses like a battle scene in a  war movie . There's no flow. Traffic and bathroom access are worse than in Giants Stadium. If the big selling point was "functionality", they did not come close. No idea if this has improved but last concert I went to 2 summers ago, despite a Verizon gate there was no Verizon service. 

When you are in your seat, it's a nice place to watch the game.  That's about it. 

Don't think it surprises anyone that Woody failed to get value for money. Maras have no excuse, however.

14 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Completely agree. 

All the other venues, especially MSG get overcrowded. People are squashed up against each other when you're leaving a Rangers game in the evening. Even if the atmosphere is good (it usually is...or was anyway). Nowhere to move. Then its the same densely-packed environment when you're taking the LIRR back home from Penn, or the subway. 

Once you've been through that, you appreciate MetLife a lot more. Its more of a city thing i guess, space is at a premium. 

Go to MSG  for concerts and Rangers pretty often. There's a bit of a crush on the way out but it spreads out very quickly once you get closer to the exit. MetLife is much much worse, and it's not even close. It feels borderline unsafe. Or it did when they had 80,000 people there. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Centurylink holds 69,000 fans.  MetLife 82,500 fans.  Both stadiums have their share of opposing fans in attendance.

Every Sunday there are more Jets fans cheering the losing Jets than there are Seahawk fans cheering the elite Seahawks.  That's all that matters.  You can keep the pretty dress and the makeup, it's all about how many home fans are in the building wearing team colors and cheering the team on.

There is far more pride to be taken from that fact than there is any downside to, ooh, aluminum louvers instead of (wait for it) clear glass.

SAR I

You're kidding right ?  Maybe for the number of fans you have an argument, but Seattle fans pack that stadium, and I'd rather doubt that there are more opposing fans in that stadium then MetLife.

5 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Not only is metlife a dump but you can't even tell who plays there. When I walk through Yankee Stadium and MSG I can feel the history.

You feel the history in Yankee Stadium and MSG because history took place there.  Yankee Stadium is disappointing, nowhere near the Camden Yards effort it could have been.  And nothing about MSG feels like the Knicks or Rangers, the seats aren't red/white/blue/orange, the ceiling is different shades of beige,  Yankee Stadium and MSG "feel" like sports teams when fans in team colors sit there and when the ribbon boards have team branding.  In other words, they're the same as MetLife.  Just smaller and harder to park at.

And what are you fighting for anyway?  Another 52 year old photo of Joe Namath?  Good thing MetLife doesn't have more space dedicated to Joe Klecko and Wayne Chrebet, there are just so many times I can be reminded about how they didn't win anything and broke my heart decades ago.

SAR I

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's like complaining 2x a month for the better part of 10 years about the design of the Beverly Hills Hotel when you have never stayed there.

MetLife Stadium is designed to please PSL holders.  And it does.

SAR I

no actually it doesn't please pls owners-i have several including some of the best in the house-the old stadium was fine but if you are going to rebuild it , make sure it is a big upgrade-there is zero reason to  not have a rectractable roof for starters. Our stadium is trash just like the mall next to it. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As a former PSL holder, felt like the people who designed and built it had never been to an NFL game nor a big concert. Getting in and out is a nightmare. Ramps empty into concessions and concourses like a battle scene in a  war movie . There's no flow.

Concessions and bathrooms, that's not true, especially in the Mezzanine.  It's a dream there.

As for 'flow', MetLife is smartly divided into 4, it's actually 4 smaller stadiums from an ingress/egress standpoint as you can't move from one section to another so it avoids that Giants Stadium nightmare after every game where people would use the concourses to get from their seats (say over by Pegasus) to their car (say over by Izod) and run over people inside the tight spaces to get there as soon as possible.  At MetLife, we all stay in our section.  Verizon people stay in Verizon, Bud Light people stay in Bud Light, it's like 4 20,000 seat arenas instead of 1 huge 80,000 seat football stadium, far more orderly and no more drunks acting like linebackers and running over my kids like they did after the final gun at Giants Stadium.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You feel the history in Yankee Stadium and MSG because history took place there.  Yankee Stadium is disappointing, nowhere near the Camden Yards effort it could have been.  And nothing about MSG feels like the Knicks or Rangers, the seats aren't red/white/blue/orange, the ceiling is different shades of beige,  Yankee Stadium and MSG "feel" like sports teams when fans in team colors sit there and when the ribbon boards have team branding.  In other words, they're the same as MetLife.  Just smaller and harder to park at.

And what are you fighting for anyway?  Another 52 year old photo of Joe Namath?  Good thing MetLife doesn't have more space dedicated to Joe Klecko and Wayne Chrebet, there are just so many times I can be reminded about how they didn't win anything and broke my heart decades ago.

SAR I

Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio never played at the new stadium yet they're pictures are everywhere. The Garden was renovated a few years back but there is still pictures of Messier plastered everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

1.The concourses might be wide but when 80,000 people are walking through them it feels just like MSG, which I don't have a problem with btw. stadiums are supposed to be jam packed. 

What level of the stadium are you referring to?  Upper deck?  Lower level?  Because the Mezzanine is not like that at all.  Except for the ice cream cart.  Always a line at the damn ice cream cart.

SAR I

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

All I say is I was offering my services gratis to the Committee to help bring the WSS to the Jets, complete with retractable dome and tied to NEEDED Exhibition Space for NY, moderate housing and luxury shopping and eating, as well ongoing revenue for license purchasers and LUNATICS were saying that NJ would be better......

Now we can honestly say that what we have now is better than this...

2026 New Jets Stadium. There is no franchise in sports like… | by Ira  Hernowitz | Medium

The only people against this were people from New Jersey and/or those who like to sit in a parking lot and drink for 6 hours before a game.

Oh and Sheldon Silver.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What level of the stadium are you referring to?  Upper deck?  Lower level?  Because the Mezzanine is not like that at all.  Except for the ice cream cart.  Always a line at the damn ice cream cart.

SAR I

I don't mingle with the Mezzanine serfs. Real fans sit in suites.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1