Drain the swamp! MetLife Stadium ranked among worst NFL venues

joewilly12

20 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

You're kidding right ?  Maybe for the number of fans you have an argument, but Seattle fans pack that stadium, and I'd rather doubt that there are more opposing fans in that stadium then MetLife.

920x920.jpg

MetLife is huge, fully enclosed, supports a metro with 20 million people.  Seattle is a tiny stadium, open ended, supports a region of only 4 million, and has just as many opposing fans as the NFL average.  Need more?  Centurylink has no upper deck.  Just a lower level and a mezzanine.  This 12th Man thing is a cute marketing tactic, but they aren't immune from a thriving economy, cheap airfare, and passionate fans who like weekend overnights.  Plenty of opposing fans in Seattle.

There are more Jets fans at MetLife than there are Sehawks fans at Centurylink.  That's a fact.  Same for 90% of the stadiums in the NFL.  You can whine about all-things Jets all you like, but the fans who show up and fill seats at MetLife isn't debatable.  We have the second-largest stadium in the league.  We are #2 in attendance in the NFL.  Outside of the Cowboys who are America's Team, the Jets put more fans in the stands than every other team.  And we suck.  Take shots at the Jets if you like.  You can't take shots at the fans.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Air conditioner ??? More like a big, vapid gray cash register.  Two owners sharing expenses and they build a lifeless piece of sh*t like that ??? 

$1.6B for that. Should've spent $1.58B and resigned Robby Anderson.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Only hope is a new owner somehow gets a west side stadium built.  Bloomberg tried to help us out but hey

Another possibility is knock down Nassau Coliseum and put up jets stadium in that location in Uniondale

No way do I want to gout out to the island.  The west side would have been the ideal location for everyone.  People from all the 5 boroughs could have gotten there with ease and so could have all the NJ people.  Contrary to popular belief, getting in and out of Manhattan with mass transit is easy.  1.6 million people come in and out of the Manhattan every day without too much trouble.   And you had the assholes who were against the WSS proposal proclaiming that 60m to 80m people could NEVER be able to get in and out of the city for a football game on Sunday (WHEN THERE ARE NO WORK COMMUTERS).

The Jets should have had the WSS and it should have been colorful, flashy and light up like Times Square.

And we got stuck with that big, vapid gray cash register that forces you to run a ******* maze like a giant rat if you want to go from one part of the stadium to the other.

Total POS stadium

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

920x920.jpg

MetLife is huge, fully enclosed, supports a metro with 20 million people.  Seattle is a tiny stadium, open ended, supports a region of only 4 million, and has just as many opposing fans as the NFL average.  Need more?  Centurylink has no upper deck.  Just a lower level and a mezzanine.  This 12th Man thing is a cute marketing tactic, but they aren't immune from a thriving economy, cheap airfare, and passionate fans who like weekend overnights.  Plenty of opposing fans in Seattle.

There are more Jets fans at MetLife than there are Sehawks fans at Centurylink.  That's a fact.  Same for 90% of the stadiums in the NFL.  You can whine about all-things Jets all you like, but the fans who show up and fill seats at MetLife isn't debatable.  We have the second-largest stadium in the league.  We are #2 in attendance in the NFL.  Outside of the Cowboys who are America's Team, the Jets put more fans in the stands than every other team.  And we suck.  Take shots at the Jets if you like.  You can't take shots at the fans.

SAR I

Nobody is arguing that MetLife holds more fans... But your argument was that Seattle holds more opposing fans than MetLife. I beg to differ. Ive been to Seattle many times and opposing fans are few and far between. Yes there are, but nowhere near the opposing fans that pack MetLife.

27 minutes ago, kmnj said:

no actually it doesn't please pls owners-i have several including some of the best in the house-the old stadium was fine

The old stadium was built for a different era, there simply weren't enough concession stands and bathrooms for modern fans.  And it leaked.  In the mezzanine on rainy days we literally had to move around to accommodate for the flood of water pouring down from the upper deck.  And it was red and blue and said "Giants" on it. 

27 minutes ago, kmnj said:

make sure it is a big upgrade-there is zero reason to  not have a rectractable roof for starters

That makes no sense when we play in a division with a Florida team and in a conference with 6 teams playing in warm weather and 3 teams playing in domes.

Open air MetLife Stadium is the very definition of a homefield advantage, and that's the entire point of these stupid stadium threads-  how to make it better so that the team plays better there, right?  Because if the goal is a warm and plush experience, suggest you go watch tennis.  Sam Darnold isn't going to play better because of green plastic seats and the Jets aren't going to win a January home playoff game against the Colts in a dome.  I don't know, I kinda sorta liked 41-0 over Peyton Manning even if I couldn't feel my toes for a week, silly me.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio never played at the new stadium yet they're pictures are everywhere. The Garden was renovated a few years back but there is still pictures of Messier plastered everywhere. 

When I go to my typical 2 Yankees games and 3 Rangers games each year, I am not filled with emotion because of photos I've seen a million times in my home.  I'm filled with emotion because of the thousands of fans around me wearing team colors and cheering loudly.  Jets games are no different.

New York sports fans are great and we have great facilities.  The color of a plastic seat and the materials on the facade of a building never won a football game.  Players win games.  Fans help a bit.  The rest is just whining for the sake of whining by Eeyore's who can't man-up for a rebuild.

SAR I

23 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The only people against this were people from New Jersey and/or those who like to sit in a parking lot and drink for 6 hours before a game.

Oh and Sheldon Silver.

Jets fans are incredibly cheap.  The tickets in that 70,000 seat shoebox would have been 2x as expensive as MetLife, club seats and suites would have taken up about 20,000 of them, and all the tourists looking for something to do on a Sunday would have made the Jets the toughest ticket in town.  And not in a good way-  the stadium would have far more executive types and far more opposing fans than we do now, and then a whole bunch of people from Tokyo and Rome just in it as a curiosity.

Not every decision the Jets have made has been wrong.  They got the stadium right.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

While i don't like @SAR I questioning the authenticity of some posters' fandom, his comments hit the nail on the head. 

MetLife was built to be functional and fit for purpose. You don't need the bells and whistles of some sh*tty white elephant, especially in NY/NJ, where there's plenty else to do.

SoFi is more of a waste of money than anything else, who the hell even watches the Rams in LA, there's no dedicated fanbase there. 

Stadiums should be recognized for their game atmosphere, not for all the extraneous crap. A stadium should primarily serve as a home for it's main occupants, in this case, the football fans on the east coast. MetLife does its job.

Why would i be interested in the 'aesthetics' of a stadium when i'm there to watch a football game? If i want aesthetics, i have all of manhattan to stare at: New and old. At the risk of sounding 'snobby', I don't get my 'pseudo-intellectual' kicks from visiting stadiums. This is not f*cking Arlington, texas, where jerryworld is the biggest thing in town, with it's 'all-in-one' stadium transforming into a museum/restaurant/hospitality/misc event/big screen thing. 

It's not perfect, in fact i hated taking the train there on game days (if you're not driving, its a pain in the ass). But as someone who heard 'Giants stadium' taunts growing up, i'm more than satisfied with a stadium that feels truly ours. 

And we have - or at least used to have - excellent tailgating. 

It's different when you actually attend games, it's a sentiment that's hard to explain. 

I can say that in three words or less: it sucks! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Air conditioner ??? More like a big, vapid gray cash register.  Two owners sharing expenses and they build a lifeless piece of sh*t like that ??? 

sheags.jpg

Amazes me that fans used to a dusty baseball diamond and red and blue seats for 40 years would complain about a stadium we actually own.  Whining for the sake of whining.  SOJF's, always looking for the dark cloud instead of the silver lining.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When I go to my typical 2 Yankees games and 3 Rangers games each year, I am not filled with emotion because of photos I've seen a million times in my home.  I'm filled with emotion because of the thousands of fans around me wearing team colors and cheering loudly.  Jets games are no different.

New York sports fans are great and we have great facilities.  The color of a plastic seat and the materials on the facade of a building never won a football game.  Players win games.  Fans help a bit.  The rest is just whining for the sake of whining by Eeyore's who can't man-up for a rebuild.

SAR I

I understand where you're coming from but come on, it would be nice if the place had a little personality.

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

sheags.jpg

Amazes me that fans used to a dusty baseball diamond and red and blue seats for 40 years would complain about a stadium we actually own.  Whining for the sake of whining.  SOJF's, always looking for the dark cloud instead of the silver lining.

SAR I

I suppose some people are satisfied with less. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets fans are incredibly cheap.  The tickets in that 70,000 seat shoebox would have been 2x as expensive as MetLife, club seats and suites would have taken up about 20,000 of them, and all the tourists looking for something to do on a Sunday would have made the Jets the toughest ticket in town.  And not in a good way-  the stadium would have far more executive types and far more opposing fans than we do now, and then a whole bunch of people from Tokyo and Rome just in it as a curiosity.

Not every decision the Jets have made has been wrong.  They got the stadium right.

SAR I

"They got the stadium right", I feel like I just ate a bowl of bad drugs. Does anybody really know what happened over at Willets Point? No? Because I sure the hell do. They got nothing right, except maybe making the seats wider and more of them, which is really just pandering to our generally morbidly obsese population and those who don't practice birth control.

Once I tell the story about Willets Point, which MOST people don't really know the ins and outs of, any vestige of your lingering pastiche will finally be humanely put down like a lame horse.

It's great that you're happy with your seats, your tickets, and everything else that goes with it, and at the end of the day, it's nobody's business what you choose to do with your disposable income. However, you choose to make it other people's business what you do with your disposable income and then passively/agressively complain how stupid everyone else is for not agreeing with you.

I realize a lot of this is schtick . . . but not all of it. Sorry about that.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, we needed a new stadium desperately.  Two reasons:

1.  Giants Stadium was falling apart.

2.  The waitlisters needed to be freed from bondage.

SAR I

Giants Stadium was falling apart, correct; but after the WSS deal and Willets Point fell apart even more so than Giants stadium - Willets Point being far more egregious because that's where the Jets should have STARTED and fck the Maras -  those idiots somehow thought it would be a bright idea to insult everyone's intelligence by building The New Dump ten feet away from The Old Dump.

Once the first two options were off the table and we were stuck with NJ, they could have expanded the old shell and got something a million times nicer for at least 1/3 less the money. At least.

Ha,  anyone else remember during the sales pitch of pack of lies in the very beginning that PSL holders would get exclusive offers on events? Well, I'm still waiting for them to explain how Giants PSL owners and Jets PSLs owners would accomplish sharing ass cheeks in the same seat for the same event.

The only difference between a PSL owner and a STH is transfer rights. And that's it. The Jets FO can kiss my royal ass.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let's see.

WSS was going to hold 70,000 people.  MetLife Holds 82,500.

Half the seats are empty during the game. They are all hanging out in the "lounge" areas, staring at their phones. 

WSS had no parking and no tailgating.  MetLife has limitless parking and taligates as far as the eye can see.

Metlife has been slowly taking away tailgating. Limiting the hours available, and raising the parking prices. Plus, there is a whole side of the stadium with no fan parking. It's for the train station, player parking, and the interactive game day BS.

WSS was going to have average seating costing $250.  MetLife seats average $125.

The team has and currently sucks. Prices would have dropped no matter where they played.

WSS was going to attract far more enemy fans, as if MetLife wasn't bringing enough way out of the city.

The Jets would finally have their own home, for the first time in ever. And played in NYC. We could finally look down at where the Giants play, and possibly have gotten more fans over time. (of course, winning helps that the most)

WSS was going to have 25% of its seats as suites and clubs.  MetLife has less than 13%.

Again, no one is in their seats anyway.

WSS was predicated on mass transit.  In Manhattan.  MetLife is infinitely more accessible.

I live on the Jersey shore. would have been cool to take the ferry to the stadium, drink the whole way there, and not worry about the drive home.

Be careful what you wish for.

SAR I

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Contrary to popular belief, getting in and out of Manhattan with mass transit is easy. 

Mass transit?  in 2005 when this was all going down fans hadn't taken mass transit to a Jets game in 23 years.  The last thing any of us would have wanted to do is give up our cars to pack onto trains with sporadic weekend service.  Nothing more fun than watching the Jets lose 6-3 in the rain and then have to wait 60 minutes for the next train from Penn Station to Huntington.

You WSS'ers forget one very important thing:  The Jets fanbase drives and is in New Jersey.  And there's plenty of space for an affordable stadium with plenty of parking here.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mass transit?  in 2005 when this was all going down fans hadn't taken mass transit to a Jets game in 23 years.  The last thing any of us would have wanted to do is give up our cars to pack onto trains with sporadic weekend service.  Nothing more fun than watching the Jets lose 6-3 in the rain and then have to wait 60 minutes for the next train from Penn Station to Huntington.

You WSS'ers forget one very important thing:  The Jets fanbase drives and is in New Jersey.  And there's plenty of space for an affordable stadium with plenty of parking here.

SAR I

I live in Bergen County.  I would still MUCH rather have the experience of going to an exciting stadium in Manhattan than go to the big vapid gray cash register that is Met Life Stadium.  Also... I hate driving.  I'd much rather take mass transit and let someone else do the driving.  

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Nobody is arguing that MetLife holds more fans... But your argument was that Seattle holds more opposing fans than MetLife. I beg to differ. Ive been to Seattle many times and opposing fans are few and far between. Yes there are, but nowhere near the opposing fans that pack MetLife.

78,500 fans were in MetLife on average for Jets games last year.

68,900 fans were in Centrylink on average for Seahawks games last year.

Source:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2019

If both teams have 10% of the fans in the stadium rooting for the opposing team, that means that there are 70,650 Jets fans at the average game and 62,010 Seahawk fans.

If you want to be very aggressive, if you want to say that there are twice as many enemy fans in MetLife as there are in Centrylink, that would put 62,800 Jets fans in and 62,010 Seahawk fans.

And even on the Jets worst day last season, there weren't more than 10% enemy fans in MetLife let alone 20%.

SAR I

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

I live in Bergen County.  I would still MUCH rather have the experience of going to an exciting stadium in Manhattan than go to the big vapid gray cash register that is Met Life Stadium.  Also... I hate driving.  I'd much rather take mass transit and let someone else do the driving.  

I'm in Bergen as well and I love the fact that I can make it from my house to MetLife door-to-door in under 25 minutes.  I don't know if I would be a season ticket holder if I had to take a train to Secaucus, switch, take a train to Penn Station, switch, take a Subway to the West Side, and then reverse that whole process after the game. 

That would take my 25 minutes and turn it into 90 minutes, and not happy ones with all the incrementaal burpers and farters it would create when a DUI is no longer a problem.  3 hours of game action and 3 hours being stuffed in a can with rude drunks?  I can't think of anything worse, actually.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

-Yogi

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What level of the stadium are you referring to?  Upper deck?  Lower level?  Because the Mezzanine is not like that at all.  Except for the ice cream cart.  Always a line at the damn ice cream cart.

SAR I

Yes I heard the Ben&Jerrys Schweddy Balls was your favorite. 

joewilly12

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm in Bergen as well and I love the fact that I can make it from my house to MetLife door-to-door in under 25 minutes.  I don't know if I would be a season ticket holder if I had to take a train to Secaucus, switch, take a train to Penn Station, switch, take a Subway to the West Side, and then reverse that whole process after the game. 

That would take my 25 minutes and turn it into 90 minutes, and not happy ones with all the incrementaal burpers and farters it would create when a DUI is no longer a problem.  3 hours of game action and 3 hours being stuffed in a can with rude drunks?  I can't think of anything worse, actually.

SAR I

I dig.  It could be an ordeal.  The NJT bus to midtown stops two blocks from my house and it runs every 30 minutes or so both ways all day and night.  It is only $5.50 for the ride.  I go into the city regularly and I love taking the bus.  No worry about tolls, paying for parking, getting my car damaged or stress of driving.  I can also get anywhere else I want to in Manhattan once I am there with my handy metro card.  If there had been a WSS, I'd just have taken the bus right to the port authority terminal and then had  short walk to the stadium.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I'm not someone who looks back nostalgically at my youth as if it was a better time to be alive than it is today.   Sadly your post made me realize how lucky I was to ride the 7 or the LIRR to shea with fellow fans to sit in that semi circle with the psychedelic colored metal squares called Shea stadium and watch the Mets and the Jets.  There was a certain sense of community with your fellow fans that didn't start and end when you got to the stadium.  The ride was half the fun.

When I lived in Manhattan and had a few bucks I even enjoyed the thrill of taking the subway through Harlem to Yankee stadium.  Sadly a few of my best friends were hard core Yankee fans.  

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I'm glad you're enjoying the bubble you're living in.  I'm glad I didn't grow up in it. 

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There really is no redeemable quality about MetLife Stadium. Much like the Jets play the last decade, it’s a complete waste of time. If/when the time comes for new ownership, the Jets need to get out of that stadium and move back to NY. The stadium is a travesty

..back to ny... cool !  :wine:

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

"They got the stadium right", I feel like I just ate a bowl of bad drugs. Does anybody really know what happened over at Willets Point? No? Because I sure the hell do.

Jets flirtation with Queens was a publicity stunt just like the Olympics flirtation with Manhattan was a publicity stunt.  Woody Johnson, rightly so, invested a few million on a Manhattan longshot that could have paid out billions.  Free real estate in Mahnattan?  Johnson would be a fool not to try.

The Jets were never moving to Queens.  In fact, they never wanted to move at all.  When the Manhattan brass ring fell through the Jets felt obliged to appease New York and Long Island fans who were rumbling in the papers, so they scheduled a meeting and held a "pep rally", remember that?  Some big fan outpouring of support for a move back 'home'?   I do.  3 people showed up!  And one was a hot dog vendor!

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

sheags.jpg

SAR I

Well when the dark cloud constantly jumps out and sucker kicks you in the sack, it’s hard to think about anything else.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets flirtation with Queens was a publicity stunt just like the Olympics flirtation with Manhattan was a publicity stunt.  Woody Johnson, rightly so, invested a few million on a Manhattan longshot that could have paid out billions.  Free real estate in Mahnattan?  Johnson would be a fool not to try.

The Jets were never moving to Queens.  In fact, they never wanted to move at all.  When the Manhattan brass ring fell through the Jets felt obliged to appease New York and Long Island fans who were rumbling in the papers, so they scheduled a meeting and held a "pep rally", remember that?  Some big fan outpouring of support for a move back 'home'?   I do.  3 people showed up!  And one was a hot dog vendor!

SAR I

So even when Woody fails it’s all just part of his master plan. Get off the old boy’s nozzle, bro.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

78,500 fans were in MetLife on average for Jets games last year.

68,900 fans were in Centrylink on average for Seahawks games last year.

Source:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2019

If both teams have 10% of the fans in the stadium rooting for the opposing team, that means that there are 70,650 Jets fans at the average game and 62,010 Seahawk fans.

If you want to be very aggressive, if you want to say that there are twice as many enemy fans in MetLife as there are in Centrylink, that would put 62,800 Jets fans in and 62,010 Seahawk fans.

And even on the Jets worst day last season, there weren't more than 10% enemy fans in MetLife let alone 20%.

SAR I

NYC, Miami, Arizona, LA and LV when there isn't a pandemic have lots of tourists.  Many fans of opposing teams actually travel to Miami, NYC and AZ and use seeing their home team as part of a weekend getaway.  Nobody is going to the Northwest once the football season is into mid October.  Seattle is a nice town but once the fall is over nobody including natives want to be there.

Seattle is a mid market.  Their football stadium is terrific.  Their fans are engaged.  The Stadium is in a city neighborhood. Lots of easy public transportation to the stadium.  

If you're arguing that for an extra 700 to a thousand Jets fans its worth having a giant stadium where more than half the fans are a very long way from the action and parking and driving in and out can be a nightmare I think you're nuts.  

I've been to games at Centurylink, State Farm in AZ where the Cardinals play, Arrowhead and Gillette stadium.  MetLife is the worst place to watch a game by far from the fan perspective to the field.  Gillette stadium has maybe the worst parking and transportation to get to a game of any stadium in the country but the stadium is still better than Met life to actually watch a game.  

If you're arguing that Jets season ticket holders are going to Jets games I agree.  They are also subjected to one of the worst live in game experiences in football because the stadium has lots of seats far from the action and looks like it was designed by someone on suicide watch who had a moment of inspiration prior to putting the gun in their mouth when they put the design to paper.  

The stadium is a perfect reflection of the ownership of both the Jets and the Giants.  It aspires to a mediocre fan experience relative to its competition.

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Giants Stadium was falling apart, correct; but after the WSS deal and Willets Point fell apart even more so than Giants stadium - Willets Point being far more egregious because that's where the Jets should have STARTED and fck the Maras -  those idiots somehow thought it would be a bright idea to insult everyone's intelligence by building The New Dump ten feet away from The Old Dump.

Once the first two options were off the table and we were stuck with NJ, they could have expanded the old shell and got something a million times nicer for at least 1/3 less the money. At least.

Ha,  anyone else remember during the sales pitch of pack of lies in the very beginning that PSL holders would get exclusive offers on events? Well, I'm still waiting for them to explain how Giants PSL owners and Jets PSLs owners would accomplish sharing ass cheeks in the same seat for the same event.

The only difference between a PSL owner and a STH is transfer rights. And that's it. The Jets FO can kiss my royal ass.

tshirt11jpg.jpg

Just went through 20 years of Jets forum photos, knew I had this somewhere.  This is 1 of the 2 Jets fans who showed up at the powerful Willets Point "rally".  (Don't you dare claim there were 3 as one of them was a hot dog vendor).

I remember these "build it" shirts being handed out at Giants Stadium.  I have one somewhere.  I used to use it as a rag when polishing one of my BMW's, before the Jets were kind enough to give us towels at every home game.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Open air MetLife Stadium is the very definition of a homefield advantage, and that's the entire point of these stupid stadium threads-  how to make it better so that the team plays better there, right?  Because if the goal is a warm and plush experience, suggest you go watch tennis. 

the US Open's evening games at arthur ashe get windy and FREEZING COLD. Especially if you're higher up the stands. 

You're fighting the good fight in this thread. ?

• Haha 1