What big time college coaches could the jets target to replace Gase?

Philc1

Obviously Harbaugh isn’t happening and probably same goes for Lincoln Riley.  I’m opening this up to you guys to suggest any names in college of coaches who may have interest in fixing the jets next year

this is probably our only shot at getting Trevor Lawrence because Bienemy probably doesn’t get it done

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Matt Campbell   Iowa State. 

What’s the deal with this guy?

he came up in our last search

not really all that impressed with his resume, and don’t remember hearing him mentioned in other teams searches

Does he have some connection with the Jets organization that he’s always mentioned for us 

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The timing may be right for Shaw to make the move to the NFL right now.   I know he loves it at Stanford and his family loves it there, Stanford loves him as well.   It will depend on what his appetite is for the NFL.   I’d drive out to Palo Alto and pick him up personally if he wanted the job.  

But, would we allow him to pick his own coordinators?  There are times I hate this franchise.

• Upvote 1

The BEST the Jets will be able to do is hopefully get to the front of the line and get the best available NFL assistant. That is kicking within their coverage right now.

They will need to get rid of Gase after week. Allow Williams to coach the team for one week. 

They then need to get their ducks in a row quickly (hard for this franchise to do), to spell out succinctly what the franchise will do with hopefully the number one pick and the vision. Keep the Johnsons out of this mess. A football person needs to spell out the football direction and how they get there. Not a one year plan.

They then to quickly mobilize and interview assistants that are not in the playoffs. They then to then be ready for the week that assistants are allowed to interview for teams in the playoffs.. Unfortunately this is probably where our next coach comes from, so we will wait. 

None.  We don't want another rookie head coach.  

It's funny, the same people screaming for Christopher Johnson to wake up and stop making the same mistakes over and over again somehow fail to realize that inexperienced college coaches and coordinators suck for us, we haven't made one of those work in our history, ever.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jim Harbaugh 

Doug Pederson (If Eagles fire him)

Dino Babers, Syracuse  - if people gonna throw Campbell in the convo I'll throw in this energetic guy. 

Sean Payton for Sam Darnold

I watch Doug Pederson every week, and frankly, he is not that impressive. Frank Reich was the guy.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

None.  We don't want another rookie head coach.  

It's funny, the same people screaming for Christopher Johnson to wake up and stop making the same mistakes over and over again somehow fail to realize that inexperienced college coaches and coordinators suck for us, we haven't made one of those work in our history, ever.

SAR I

This guy has a little Prez in his swag. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Funny timing.  I was about to come here to a post new thread about a "rumor" I was told yesterday when visiting some old friends on the Iowa Strength staff.

First off, I have no idea how true this is, but I don't know why the person who told me would pull my leg.

So the story is I go down to visit a good friend who is part of the Iowa S&C staff.  I have a Jets hat on.  I'm talking to my buddy and one of his colleagues.  After awhile the conversation switched to the Jets.  Yada yada small talk.  We all joke about how bad they are etc.  And the colleague mentions that he knows Joe Douglas from "their early days".  He doesn't expand on that and I don't press him on it.  Anyway he's very complimentary of JD etc.  At some point I bring up about how I'm sure Gase will be fired etc.  This guy then tells me don't be surprised if you hear the name David Shaw.  Apparently JD and Shaw know each other(which when I got home I realized they both were with the Ravens at the same time for a stretch) and that Douglas had been at a lot of Stanford pro days and practices in the past.  And that basically ended anything interesting or Jets related

So that's it.  That is the story.  I have no idea if any of that is true,but I don't know why this guy would make it up.  I don't know this colleague very well outside of about 2 or 3 previous brief conversations.  He didn't say anything about Shaw's desire to leave Stanford or anything like that as I'm sure he doesn't know.

Just thought I'd share, even though it may be useless info.

David Shaw is probably the most overrated coach at any level. If you hire him you will be begging for the innovative offense that Gase is running. Shaw consistently runs the most boring offenses imaginable.

If you are looking at the college level you should just do the smart thing and hire Joe Brady who is the next great coach. He learned under Payton with the Saints before turning Joe Burrow into a Heisman winner and is now doing a frantastic job with check down Teddy in Carolina.

Personally I have lost most of my faith in Douglas but if he is dumb enough to bring in David Shaw he would have the intelligence level of Maccagnan. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think he's the closest thing to Andy Reid. I'm shocked your down on him. He won Super Bowl with a backup who should have stayed his starter. 

Nick Foles bailed Pederson out as he caught a hot streak. Reich was a big part of that SB.

Week to week, Pederson has more curious and curious play calls. Carson Wentz has moved backwards since Reich left.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Alright, ill throw a name out there. Brian Kelly. 148-59 record and 7-5 in bowl games.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JetNation.com mobile app

Hell naw son.... and I'm a Notre Dame fan lol. 

You need some context on those records. 55 of those wins were gimmie wins between stints coaching at Central Michigan/Cincinnati. Then another 12 wins were vacated at ND in 2012. 

So his record that matters is 83-37 at ND. 

But even that you cant trust. He has a notorious track record of losing important in season games every. single.  f*king. year. especially near the end of the season, taking them out of championship contention and leading to a "runner up" bowl game. 

He took ND to 1 BCS Championship game in 11 years and got absolutely smashed by Alabama. 

Hard pass. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I can guarantee you that Dabo will never come here.  He’ll never even answer the phone.   

Why would he. He makes as much if not more at Clemson than he would ever make here. He basically gets to pick his own players there and all he has to do is hire great coordinators as he has done and stay out of the way.

• Upvote 1