Trevor Lawrence Not the answer: MERGED

Paradis

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

This is my point 100%!!!

No QB alone can win!!!

You must have a TEAM and people keep thinking that this isn't true and saying what KJ says here is being an apologist for Darnold!  No it isn't...

Joe Montana is my favorite QB but he had Jerry Rice! and others who were great people don't get this, and it amazes me....

Carry on! 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Otoh, if Trevor is what they say (and I don't follow college closely enough to really make a judgment) then I don't think we can pass him up.

I know many are sold on him being the savior (same ppl who were sold on Sam) and i'm not saying they're wrong - but let's also honor the strength of the program he's playing on, the talent on offense he's surrounded, system etc... he looked very pedestrain at times last year, including the big games like the championship when he faced a defense with NFL future stars. 

IOW - he's not perfect. 

And I wonder if playing for this Jets team - you're gonna see yet another QB struggle with a talent depleted roster. 

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

The next Elway?? The 2 bowls they won was thanks to Terrell Davis. In Elway's career he completed 60 % of his passes just 3 times in 16 seasons. Never threw more then 27 tds in a season and just 1 season where he had 4,000 yds passing.. :eek:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Thank you!

People fantasize about that which NEVER was!!! 

And I am so happy to see you have gotten over your OWN Insanity of being in love with Flim Flam Man (Herm) and CM!!!

Heheehhehehehehe! :) 

57 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've been saying this all fall.  And I don't think it's necessarily propping Darnold up either.  Unless things change dramatically quickly overall on the roster, Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be a miracle cure.  

That's not to say you pass on him, but the issues with the Jets don't start with Darnold.  He's probably not even in the top 3.

Is that enough to hitch your wagon too?  That's also hard to say.  I lean no, and take Lawrence, but the roster will need to get better in a real hurry otherwise Lawrence could face a similar fate.

With Lawrence coming in it would 2 to 3 years to become a playoff team and then you could see if you have something!

Think, Herm Edwards had the Jets in the playoffs every year his QB didn't get hurt! And Herm wasn't some great coach! We can only pray we get back to those days! 

Indeed, we have fallen so low now, forget wins, we just want someone in here to stop the BLOWOUT Losses! :( 

55 minutes ago, Icer said:

It's pretty simple, Darnold needs to save his own career here. He needs to get on the field and win some games to make it not a point of discussion. If we are staring at Trevor Lawrence with the top pick then Darnold didn't do his job. Good QBs will win a game no matter what kind of talent is surrounding them

Trevor Lawrence is not winning anything if he was on this team this year.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm still a Sam believer but I still want us to get Trevor for a few reasons:

1) Sam's salary cap hit

2) I think it will be much easier to hire a high-profile HC if they know they have "the next Elway"

3) Free agents will be more likely to come here if we have a high-profile HC and the hotshot young QB

4) This might just be more of a bonus but it will help excite the fanbase.

All good reasons. Darnold hasn’t cemented himself as the team’s franchise qb so there’s no reason to pass on a better prospect. And this in spite of the bad receivers and oline play. IMO he’ll be good once those parts get straightened out the timing with the fifth option coming up just isn’t right. Lawrence will be the cheaper and possibly better option next season and beyond.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That Key knows what he's talking about. You build the team first.

That’s true. Part of darnolds problem is he is playing on a team that’s getting a full makeover that really didn’t start until this season. It’s going to take time to solidify the oline and even get the defense to play better. But if you believe Douglas is on the right path then the personnel should be better and a new guy can prosper. Of course darnold could too but he’s coming up on his 4th season and that means fifth year option or renegotiation time. The cheaper option is Lawrence.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm a Trevor Lawrence fan, and he wind up being the direction we go in, but some of you - the same majority blowing Sam before we drafted him, are completely out of control right now. 

Trevor in Green and White right now, isn't going to look at that different from Sam or anyone else with this organization and roster. Take a deep breath.

This is my opinion 100%!!!

Lawrence is great but this isn't magic!

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

"Guys, taking Peyton Manning isn't going to save the Colts. We have much bigger issues with this team that led us to the first overall pick, we should trade down and build around Jim Harbaugh." -- some Colts fans in early 1998

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

"Guys, taking Peyton Manning isn't going to save the Colts. We have much bigger issues with this team that led us to the first overall pick, we should trade down and build around Jim Harbaugh." -- some Colts fans in early 1998

You can slightly ding Lawrence for playing in the ACC with a lot of talent...but I mean...kid is the goods. Darnold had more just OK games at USC (in a weaker conference) than he did great ones.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

If you build it (a team), he will come ( a franchise QB).

The Jets almost always have it backwards. Why do we keep thinking that some QB savior is magically going to make the franchise a contender.  You have to build the team for the QB to have any chance of success. Trevor Lawrence can't catch the ball for his receivers, make them run better routes, stop the other O from scoring, eliminate the stupid penalties, or any of the other plethora of things that plague our poorly coached team. 

Hey Jet Fans, there is no savior! You wanna be saved?, string 4 or 5 decent draft classes together so you have the luxury of drafting the BAP every round. Then, and only then, will you be able to trade up to the 12th pick or so and snag a QB you really like who ends up looking a whole lot better than the #1 overall pick you selected and surrounded with garbage.

If the Jets select Lawrence he had better hope that the Jets keep Sam around to rescue Trevor from the 2021 Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1 superbowl. Just Sayn'. Do it like Pittsburgh and let the QB come to you after you build the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I've tried to warn people of his flaws but they dont want to hear it my man.  As I've said before, if the Jets actually land Trevor Lawrence....he is going to leave IMO the best situation in college Football for the worst situation in the NFL.  It's going to be a disaster all over again.  He wont be facing Georgia Tech on Sunday.

He will be QBing for The citadel instead of QBing against the citadel.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I've tried to warn people of his flaws but they dont want to hear it my man.  As I've said before, if the Jets actually land Trevor Lawrence....he is going to leave IMO the best situation in college Football for the worst situation in the NFL.  It's going to be a disaster all over again.  He wont be facing Georgia Tech on Sunday.

Unless they take him and let him sit behind a vet or something while JD builds the team...like the Dolphins are doing.  Something along those lines might work but asking him to come in and succeed next season with how far away this team is from being remotely competitive will not end up going well.  That's for sure.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

That’s true. Part of darnolds problem is he is playing on a team that’s getting a full makeover that really didn’t start until this season. It’s going to take time to solidify the oline and even get the defense to play better. But if you believe Douglas is on the right path then the personnel should be better and a new guy can prosper. Of course darnold could too but he’s coming up on his 4th season and that means fifth year option or renegotiation time. The cheaper option is Lawrence.

Seriously, for what he's done, re-signing Sam is not going to break the bank.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've tried to warn people of his flaws but they dont want to hear it my man.  As I've said before, If the Jets actually land trevor Lawrence....he is going to leave IMO the best situation in college Football for the worst situation in the NFL.  It's going to be a disaster all over again.  He wont be facing Georgia Tech on Sunday.

Zero acknowledgement from many on his average at best performance last year in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

True. But that's certainly not a reason to not draft him.

Agreed, I quoted myself to add.  I might not saying dont take, just dont expect him to look good here next year.  I'd have him sit behind someone while you build the team.

Just now, Beerfish said:

He will be QBing for The citadel instead of QBing against the citadel.

Exactly.  lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

but asking him to come in and succeed next season

regardless of who's under center next season we're likely looking at a top 3 pick in 2022 as well.....but that's still no reason not to take him

When your stuck in the sub-basement of the NFL you have to take a step at a time to reach the lobby, and eventually the ceiling 

• Upvote 1