the question joe d supporters wont answer

kmnj

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I think the honest answer is a mix of band aids and some wishful thinking.  The moves haven’t been pretty, but they have all been stop gaps. One year deals and taking fliers. You can’t fix everything in a single offseason.

I fully expect CB is a priority in FA and with one of their top 5 picks in the first three rounds.

Yeah.  I get it.  I guess the hope is Hall and Austin are long-term starters.  That would lessen the sting a bit. 

Still recreating the 2017 Colts secondary seems curious.  Quincy Wilson, Pierre Desir, Hairston and Matthias Farley combined for over 2,200 snaps for that team.  They were 28th in passing yards allowed on only the 5th most attempts.  32nd in ypa.  I guess they can go after Chris Milton next.  They also added Anderson and Basham from that stellar unit.  I get that Rex Hogan probably has good info on these guys and the changeover from Pagano to Eberflus made them available, but c'mon.

• Upvote 1

Hmm let's try a different angle...

Gase's Ego.

JD picked Morgan - Because Gase doesnt think Darnold fits his system right. 

JD Signed Flacco - Because Gase doesnt think Darnold fits his system right. 

JD signed Gore - Because Gase hated Lev. 

JD picked Perine  - Because Gase hated Lev.

JD picked Davis - Because Gase hated Jamal. 

JD picked Mims - Because Gase hated Robby. 

JD signed Perriman - Because Gase hated Robby.

JD didnt upgrade CBs - Because Gase truly believes his offense will score 50 points a game, and wont need them. 

JD didnt upgrade TEs - Because Gase truly believes his QB doesnt need them. 

And by the time all the picks were almost done...

JD picked Mann - Because he knew he was truly ****ed for listening to Gase

JDs moves make COMPLETE sense when you question who was really making the decisions to begin with. 

• Haha 2

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Because he isn’t building a team geared to 2020, he is thinking long term. Also there is reason to believe the 2020 draft is the best we’ve had in years.

Early for this. 

Becton looks great. 

Mims looks good, but it's far from settled how good he will be. Let's see how he finishes the year and see him with the next QB.

Perrine - meh. He looks ok. Nothing special but a serviceable running back, so far. 

Davis looks awful, but he's had one career start. 

Zuniga is in the witness protection program. 

Morgan is in the witness protection program (would really love to see him out there instead of a washed Joe Flacco or Mike White - but it seems like he is being redshirted, which is a bad sign, IMO)

Clark? 

Remains to be seen what this draft class is. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

Early for this. 

Becton looks great. 

Mims looks good, but it's far from settled how good he will be. Let's see how he finishes the year and see him with the next QB.

Perrine - meh. He looks ok. Nothing special but a serviceable running back, so far. 

Morgan is in the witness protection program (would really love to see him out there instead of a washed Joe Flacco or Mike White - but it seems like he is being redshirted, which is a bad sign, IMO)

Clark? 

JD’s first two picks in last year’s draft are the bright spot that provide some hope.  Becton is a future all-pro and Mims is going to be good.  The Adams trade got us two firsts

Now his other moves so far look meh to crap

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Early for this. 

Becton looks great. 

Clark? 

Mann, the punter taken in the sixth round looks good.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

JD’s first two picks in last year’s draft are the bright spot that provide some hope.  Becton is a future all-pro and Mims is going to be good.  The Adams trade got us two firsts

Now his other moves so far look meh to crap

Agreed, but given the current state of this roster, Douglas is going to have to prove that he can hit on mid and late round picks consistently. 

If Douglas is merely a serviceable GM, this isn't going to end well. We need him to be an upper echelon GM to get out of this mess before the world ends. 

51 minutes ago, kmnj said:

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2

Folks get all excited about us getting round 5-7 picks when we waste a 4 

If the Joe D plan is to "build through the draft" why waste a 4?

depth...

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed, but given the current state of this roster, Douglas is going to have to prove that he can hit on mid and late round picks consistently. 

If Douglas is merely a serviceable GM, this isn't going to end well. We need him to be an upper echelon GM to get out of this mess before the world ends. 

I dont know is that is true, honestly the team is so bad roster wise it should be well with in his scope to expect frist second and third rounders to contribute. and if he does that it will be a success especially 2 or 3 years of that.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Hall was also a "red-shirt" pick for an injured guy many thought would have been a later pick. I don't think we can judge that until next year.

Agreed. 

I think Douglas has potential, but we don't really know what he is yet as a GM. This offseason will be very telling and it starts by getting the right head coach in here. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really like Duvernay.  I think years from now we may regret not selecting him, but he hasn't broken 40 yards receiving for a game yet.  Are we going to act like he was the key to open up this high octane offense?

He’s behind Brown and Snead on the depth chart and behind Andrews in targets in an offense where Lamar Jackson throws it 25-28 times a game and half of those are shovel passes 

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont know is that is true, honestly the team is so bad roster wise it should be well with in his scope to expect frist second and third rounders to contribute. and if he does that it will be a success especially 2 or 3 years of that.

In that case, he needs to draft several stars in the 1st- 3rd rounds over the next few years. 

58 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’m guessing once we are actually trying to win games in a season, he thought a hopefully semi-competent back up QB would be nifty? Not sure he was planning to tank since the draft, thinking the decision to tank was made after Sam started to stank! 

Yup.  The tank wasn't planned, it was inherited.  I'm sure Douglas was hoping, like many of us, that Darnold would turn the corner and have a career year.  Injuries certainly didn't help, but neither did Darnold sh*tting himself every week.

In light of how bad Darnold has been, you would think JD's decision to hedge his bets and grab a QB (that Belichick was rumored to like/want) in the middle rounds would be considered a smart move.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But why isn't Morgan even remotely close to playing? 

Isn't it a bad sign that he is behind Mike White on the depth chart? 

I'd feel a lot better about things if Morgan was Flacco's backup a few weeks ago. 

I imagine because he's a rookie 4th rounder, who they don't want to see action this season.  I'm not going to overthinking back-end roster management on this current Jets team.

Maybe Morgan never gets on the field.  Maybe one day he does.  Regardless, when your QB is Sam Darnold, who is bad but expected and should get this whole season as the starter, it's not absurd to take a developmental QB in the 4th round.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

I imagine because he's a rookie 4th rounder, who they don't want to see action this season.  I'm not going to overthinking back-end roster management on this current Jets team.

Maybe Morgan never gets on the field.  Maybe one day he does.  Regardless, when your QB is Sam Darnold, who is bad but expected and should get this whole season as the starter, it's not absurd to take a developmental QB in the 4th round.

I would have liked the pick a lot more one round later - I think the team was desperate for talented young players who could contribute this year - but fine

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would have liked the pick a lot more one round later - I think the team was desperate for talented young players who could contribute this year - but fine

He took him a round early because of Belichick, who was rumored to like him. 

We got Bryce Hall a round later, a guy with CB1 upside.  

The only reason we had those extra 4th rounders to begin with was a solid trade down by Douglas.  They were "free" picks.  You need your GM to be have the leeway to take some developmental guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2

This is a correct assessment.

Tons of good position guys still on the board, draft a guy in the 4th round, he's a clone of the guy we have in white.  He can't beat those guys out he is a guy you hope you never ever have to play, now that darnold is on the outs has there been one call for 'lets see what our 4th rounder can do?" No

Also our overrated punter who is no better than Lach Edwards was, 26th in the league in net yards, but he is a good tackler.

Not drafting at least one more Wr and possibly a TE were bad errors.

I still think he can be a good GM but he made errors in last years draft.

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Because QB was a hole on the roster.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really like Duvernay.  I think years from now we may regret not selecting him, but he hasn't broken 40 yards receiving for a game yet.  Are we going to act like he was the key to open up this high octane offense?

There are always people on this forum that fall in love with a GUY and whine we don't take that player (that player was Allen robinson for me).

But the legit issue wasn't Duvernay or Edwards or Davis or Tyler johnson or Cephus or Mooney or peoples-jones. It was passing on every WR after Mims was taken. 

Whether we were playing for Darnold or tanking for Lawrence this was an easy draft to help finally address our lack of talent at WR and only taking 1 was a mistake... And I'm a big JD supporter.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Not when mike white was a morgan clone and they brought in flacco to be the back up.

They got seduced by the good old, the qb talks a good game and really knows his stuff! shtick. 

The same Mike White that was waived by the Cowboys 1 year after using a 5th round pick on him?  That Mike White?  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

NE was said to be rumored to want James Morgan thats why. 

that has never been corroborated. It came from a single reporter, I can't remember who, but not even a Patriots beat guy.  Classic case of rumor presumed to be true.  It might be.  We will likely never know. In any event, it is a bad (as in stupid) reason to forego making the wisest investment in the 4th round.  I would have gone WR, OL or CB (need to look at at it again)  During the draft we were rooting for AGG there.

• Sympathy 1