the question joe d supporters wont answer

kmnj

1 minute ago, Ben Had said:

Would be fun to put Morgan on the practice squad and see how long he lasts.

With the injuries around the league i am sure he would get claimed quickly.

The jets however would rather play a guy who is not playing well and playing with a bad shoulder or a totally  lost it flacco than morgan or white.

• Haha 1

We're mad that the team has a legacy of poor QB picks and now has another top first round pick flailing took a flyer on a fourth round QB pick who could easily serve as a backup QB for the next three years? 

Ok. 

Flacco is on a one year deal and almost certainly on his way out after this year. White gets activated but dumped right back on the practice squad after every game. He's of no consequence. Morgan is the guy left on the roster at the end of the year.

I'm not sure why they don't activate him--maybe he is injured and they are trying to avoid putting him on IR--but really who cares?

• Upvote 1

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2
Folks get all excited about us getting round 5-7 picks when we waste a 4 
If the Joe D plan is to "build through the draft" why waste a 4?

I don’t think people haven’t addressed this one. I fact I think it’s a drum that’s been beaten to death. Here’s the really fun part.
I’m a huge JD supporter AND I hated the Morgan pick.
What ever will we do with that one?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

The draft is a crap shoot; no GM hits on all of his selections. that is why it is so important to have as many picks as possible. Also, he was probably looking 2 years down the road; why not have a back up QB you are paying as a 3rd year rookie, than some washed up QB that is going to cost 10x and be upset if they have to play.

A WR in the 4th wasn't likely to make a difference this year.

What if Sam turned out great and we have to give him a contract extension? Do you want a QB and his backup sucking up all of your cap? The real question is that now that the season is over, why isn't he getting experience with Sam hurt? I don't need to see Sam further shred his shoulder and i have no desire to watch Flacco scowl through another game.

• Upvote 2

At tackling maybe, he is 26th in the leauge in net punt yards, he is no better than Lach Edwards right now.

Net yards has a lot to do with coverage unit which has been a disappointment. ST in general have been a disappointment imo. He has been better than edwards so far.

that has never been corroborated. It came from a single reporter, I can't remember who, but not even a Patriots beat guy.  Classic case of rumor presumed to be true.  It might be.  We will likely never know. In any event, it is a bad (as in stupid) reason to forego making the wisest investment in the 4th round.  I would have gone WR, OL or CB (need to look at at it again)  During the draft we were rooting for AGG there.

Right. Sort of like the blockbuster trade offer for Q or the 1st and 3rd Dallas was offering for Jamal.

This era of tweet reporting when literally everyone is a beat reporter wanna be is packed full of crap like this.

It was a weak pick but JD made the trades to get himself the room to do something like that. He did a good job in his first draft even if I don’t agree with all of it.
It doesn’t have to be either or. Ya know?

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not when mike white was a morgan clone and they brought in flacco to be the back up.

They got seduced by the good old, the qb talks a good game and really knows his stuff! shtick. 

White has already bounced around a bit.  Just because guys are similar level prospects does not mean that they will both have the same career.  Similar does not mean clone.  Especially at QB which is like 90% mental - the other half is physical. 

Flacco was signed a month after the draft and they knew he probably wouldn't even be ready for the start of the season, let alone camp.  I firmly believe that Flacco was one of those Bridgewater signings.  He was a guy they knew and liked, they hoped he would show out and then they could flip him for a pick or he would work into the comp pick formula.  Even a #2 QB rates pretty high for comp pick purposes. Signing him so late meant he doesn't count against us, and the expanded rosters make the roster spot less valuable.  

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are always people on this forum that fall in love with a GUY and whine we don't take that player (that player was Allen robinson for me).

But the legit issue wasn't Duvernay or Edwards or Davis or Tyler johnson or Cephus or Mooney or peoples-jones. It was passing on every WR after Mims was taken. 

Whether we were playing for Darnold or tanking for Lawrence this was an easy draft to help finally address our lack of talent at WR and only taking 1 was a mistake... And I'm a big JD supporter.

Yeah.  I can see that.  I assume they had a bunch of guys they liked and I wonder if they felt with so many available they knew a few would be UDFA - like Cager.  Same goes for CB where we are pathetic, but walked away with Quincy WIlson and Bryce Hall who we knew would not be ready for the start of the season (Jeremy Clark, Bless Austin style).  I like Jackson and Guidry and would not have any agita over them being late selections. 

It also makes you wonder what they think of Morgan.  If they think he is a potential good NFL starter, it makes sense to burn the pick even if it is a 10-20% chance.  If they just see him as a backup, I don't like it.   

I remember this questioning being discussed and answered ad nauseum around the draft. 

Here are my thoughts.  

A good veteran backup QB can go for 4-7 million a year salary wise.  It's quite possible that Joe D was planning for the next 3-4 years, not the next 1-2 and thinks a solid backup QB is a wise investment in relation to the cap space needed to sign one.

What roster holes do you think is immediately fixed in the 4th round?  Not a lot of instant impact players in RD 4.  Is a backup OL more valuable than a backup QB?  There are exceptions to that obviously, but if your strategy is fixing the RT or CB1 hole by throwing a 4th round pick at it, good luck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

joe d supporters won't answer? dumb

I am very high on Joe D but didn't like the Morgan pick and still don't. Would have loved to have seen a WR taken in that spot. I don't like that he didn't resign Anderson either.

This entire thread is depressing. Darnold looks like a hot mess so maybe we see Morgan before the season is over. Why not?

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to ask a serious question to Joe Douglas supporters?  Try this:

What was the ******* plan at CB?  Desir is an abomination.  As bad or worse than Trumaine Johnson.  They traded a pick for Quincy Wilson who can't see the field.  They traded for Hairston.  He couldn't see the field, got cut and now resides on the Ravens practice squad. 

Last year they ran with Maulet who has been hurt and Canady who they let walk to the Cowboys and then opted out.  The inability to improve on that is mind numbing.

Austin (Mac pick) looks pretty good.  I am pleasantly surprised, particularly after his 2019 benching and inability to see the field thereafter.  Still a durability concern.  Hall has not seen the field.  Will he?  I don't ******* know, but they can't have been counting on him.  Obviously a durability concern and basically a complete unknown.  I like the UDFA pickups, but they are not guys you expect to play meaningful minutes as rookies.  If you were counting on these guys, you are a lunatic.

The group is one baby step above the 2014 group that got Rex canned. A ******* atrocity.  I am no Gregg Williams fan, so I don't really give a sh*t, but this is B-A-D.

To me the valid complaints are: 1) Like you said what was the plan at cb? I don’t see a starter outside of Austin and he predated Douglas. 2) Not trading or signing Robbie. Also we had a very thin depth chart so it is unfathomable to me that he substituted in Perriman, took Mims and that was largely it. 3) The nightmare that is the interior Oline. 4) Not cutting bait with Kalil sooner last year. 5) Taking as many injured players that he did when this roster needs fundamental building blocks. (Zuniga, Davis, Hall) 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

how about drafting a wr when the team has no weapons and lost our best wr in the offseason

why put your hopes on a jag like perriman

I’ve said in the past they should’ve drafted more receivers, and I still feel that way. That being said, I feel that way for long term reasons. Relying on a fourth round wide receiver for immediate impact is a fools errand. And I don’t think anyone anticipated the WR group would be decimated by injuries the way it has been.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

that has never been corroborated. It came from a single reporter, I can't remember who, but not even a Patriots beat guy.  Classic case of rumor presumed to be true.  It might be.  We will likely never know. In any event, it is a bad (as in stupid) reason to forego making the wisest investment in the 4th round.  I would have gone WR, OL or CB (need to look at at it again)  During the draft we were rooting for AGG there.

Antonio Gandy-Golden has 1 more reception, and 3 yards more than James Morgan. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2

Folks get all excited about us getting round 5-7 picks when we waste a 4 

If the Joe D plan is to "build through the draft" why waste a 4

How many coaches and gms talk about drafting qbs in the late rounds?   Trying to build depth. Crap, the redskins drafted a QB #2 overall, and then a qb in the 4th, how'd that work out?

Or should we get a new GM because this one  took a chance with a 4th round draft pick on a QB?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’m guessing once we are actually trying to win games in a season, he thought a hopefully semi-competent back up QB would be nifty? Not sure he was planning to tank since the draft, thinking the decision to tank was made after Sam started to stank! 

Tank and stank 

942BF934-E705-4E9F-A0CE-5946B05D9752.gif

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I remember this questioning being discussed and answered ad nauseum around the draft. 

Here are my thoughts.  

A good veteran backup QB can go for 4-7 million a year salary wise.  It's quite possible that Joe D was planning for the next 3-4 years, not the next 1-2 and thinks a solid backup QB is a wise investment in relation to the cap space needed to sign one.

What roster holes do you think is immediately fixed in the 4th round?  Not a lot of instant impact players in RD 4.  Is a backup OL more valuable than a backup QB?  There are exceptions to that obviously, but if your strategy is fixing the RT or CB1 hole by throwing a 4th round pick at it, good luck.

Only about a half dozen excellent Wr prospects were still on the board in the 4th  round for a team with GLARING holes at WR.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Net yards has a lot to do with coverage unit which has been a disappointment. ST in general have been a disappointment imo. He has been better than edwards so far.

Not by much, i keep hearing this with zero real evidence to back it up.  Even last game we are backed up in our end and he gets about a net 38 yarder.  I've seen very few field position changing punts.

Hey, I don;t hate the guy but he is getting a ton of praise for mediocre results.

• Sympathy 1

The ancient Mayans used to execute the losing team.  Clearly, there are many Jets fans who agree.  Worth remembering, its a game.

Jets history has been filled with bad to horrible gm's.  So its easy to conclude that JD is just another loser.  And there's not really much evidence either way.

We can look a 3 things:  trades, FA acquisitons and draft picks.  With the draft, we don't know and won't for another year or 2.  Every expert says to wait 3 years to evaluate a draft.  Media trolls and fans wait 3 hours (if that).  Is Morgan a good choice in the 4th?  Who knows.  Has anyone even seen him practice?  We're just getting a look at the rookies now.

JD has certainly hurt himself with his FA class.  He doesn't seem to have hit on any of them.  He can argue that he went low budget and short term, but one of them should be making a strong contribution.  Score 1 for the pessimists.

Trades is a completely different picture.  He has shown a lot of dexterity.  He traded down and added picks.  He dumped JA, aka the mouth that roared, for an excellent return.  He has moved vets from the roster for slightly better draft positions and minimal salary cap improvement.  But doing so forces the coaches to play the rookies.

So we have no clear picture of where JD stands.  Jets have long been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL.  So history doesn't make us optimistic.  

The overwhelming sentiment on the Board is to hate the Johnson's.  But as a guy who dates back to Werblin and Hess, I give them a little credit.  Hess was truly a clown.  The Johnson's have hired Idzik and Macc, both monumental busts.  But in both cases, they hired outside "experts" to help them through the process.  JD comes in with a pretty good rep within the League.  His trades suggest other GM's take him seriously.  

At the end of the day, it will come down to how well he drafts.  And we just don't know.  But I do have some hope!

Because 4th round picks have a 6.3% chance of staying on the team for 3.3 years. Meaning they don't even out last their rookie contract. I wanted a WR way more than Morgan but let's not pretend that is going to be some black mark on his career. Allowing Robby to walk has been Douglas' biggest mistake to date.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

so you think morgan is talent at qb that is going to put is in the best long term spot? He is so great he is 4 on the depth chart and by the way we are probably drafting a qb next year lol

I post negative crap because I have earned that right by owning numerous psls and having attended over 300 games-if fans tolerate garbage we will be left with garbage

You don't need a PSL to post negative crap.  I would prefer that you were accurate though.  

You keep saying Morgan is fourth on the depth chart?  Where do you get that crap from?  Who is he behind?  Darnold is one, Flacco is two.  Who is three?  It certainly isn't White who they cut on October 1st.  White is on the practice squad, Morgan is on the active roster.  Always has been.