1. 1. My reaction is:

• STRONGLY AGREE
    • Agree
    • Somewhat Agree
    • Somewhat Disagree
    • Disagree
    • STRONGLY DISAGREE

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It's a shame neither want anything to do with the organization! Snell feels he was screwed and Riggins identifies more with the Redskins (where he had a great deal of success). That one hurts.

Yep. I’m not sure what Snell’s beef was.  I know riggins wanted to be paid the same as joe willie.  Can’t say the jets were wrong at the time.

19 hours ago, HessStation said:

Sadly the best positions for this franchise are:

1. FB

2. OC

3. I have no idea really I guess WR maybe

Definitely WR has been a strength.  Maynard, Sauer, Walker, Toon, Coles, Chrebet, Cotchery and Keyshawn were all excellent Jet receivers.

EDIT:  One receiver I forgot jumped to mind yesterday:  Rob Moore.  

19 hours ago, rangerous said:

Yep. I’m not sure what Snell’s beef was.  I know riggins wanted to be paid the same as joe willie.  Can’t say the jets were wrong at the time.

I will say they were wrong.  Letting someone like Riggins walk over some money is beyond dumb.  He was the best player on that team by a mile, including Namath.  And was never really replaced.

Can’t put Riggins in as a fullback. When he was a Jet he was more like a halfback he was fast and powerful. Only became more like a fullback when he got older and slower but became more powerful as a runner in my opinion. Aside from my feeling he is definitely top three back

13 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

From ones I’ve seen as a fan I’d say
1 Richie Anderson
2 brad baxter
3Jerald sowell

Just from memory

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Brad Baxter. #3 That dude was a football player. Riggins wasn’t used here enough but amazing talent #2.  Snell was a monster and huge in SB III.  Got to be #1  Just dominated the Colts D line. Great blocker for Boozer as well. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nose Tackle.  Klecko, Kris Jenkins, Pouha, Jason Ferguson, Scot Mesereau, Snacks, Steve McLendon.

MLB. Al Atkinson. David Harris. Marvin Jones. Kyle Clifton. Jonathan Vilma. Bart Scott. Sam Cowart. James Farrior (traded too soon). Demario Davis. C.J Mosley (kidding, ugh). 

Matt Snell is kind of an emotional vote for me. Favorite Jet ever, and there is no Super Bowl III win without him. Last I read, which was several years ago, he will still throw anyone and everyone off of his property who attempts to talk to him about the Jets. He's going to die angry at that organization.

He won't even take calls from Emerson Boozer. : / I didn't read through this read yet, but I'm sure there are a handful on here who had that famous Snell poster on their bedroom wall.

TANIER4-blog480.jpg

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Definitely WR has been a strength.  Maynard, Sauer, Walker, Toon, Coles, Chrebet, Cotchery and Keyshawn were all excellent Jet receivers.

I will say they were wrong.  Letting someone like Riggins walk over some money is beyond dumb.  He was the best player on that team by a mile, including Namath.  And was never really replaced.

You can say that from today’s perspective but maybe not from 1973.  Namath’s salary at the time was 175 k. Riggins was looking for 150 k which was about 125 k above his salary of the previous year.  When he played out his option he was making about 67 k. Namath by that time was making 450 k.  In 1976, when he playing for the redskins, his salary was 300 k. The higher salaries were due to pressure from the wfl. Interesting that Larry Csonka signed with the giants for over 400 k.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

You can say that from today’s perspective but maybe not from 1973.  Namath’s salary at the time was 175 k. Riggins was looking for 150 k which was about 125 k above his salary of the previous year.  When he played out his option he was making about 67 k. Namath by that time was making 450 k.  In 1976, when he playing for the redskins, his salary was 300 k. The higher salaries were due to pressure from the wfl. Interesting that Larry Csonka signed with the giants for over 400 k.

Good post with excellent supporting numbers.  We didn't have today's overwhelming sports media back then.  I can't recall if the Jets ever negotiated seriously with Riggins and proposed some sort of compromise.  If not, no way Riggins would have turned down that massive a jump in his salary from Washington.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Good post with excellent supporting numbers.  We didn't have today's overwhelming sports media back then.  I can't recall if the Jets ever negotiated seriously with Riggins and proposed some sort of compromise.  If not, no way Riggins would have turned down that massive a jump in his salary from Washington.

I read it in an interesting sports illustrated article.  Riggins played out his option and then shopped himself to other teams. He was asking for 1.5 million for 5 years.  Washington signed him. This was the wfl era and a lot of nfl players left for big paydays.  When the wfl folded then those players were free agents.  I can’t understand how Csonka got so much more than riggins.  Riggins was a better back and younger.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

I read it in an interesting sports illustrated article.  Riggins played out his option and then shopped himself to other teams. He was asking for 1.5 million for 5 years.  Washington signed him. This was the wfl era and a lot of nfl players left for big paydays.  When the wfl folded then those players were free agents.  I can’t understand how Csonka got so much more than riggins.  Riggins was a better back and younger.

Yeah, just on age alone, that one is a head scratcher.   I was in my mid-teens back then but right now don't remember much of the WFL.  

Thanks again for the info.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like it but we're missing someone likely only because his time here was so brief.

The three years that the Jets had Tony Richardson at FB were some of the greatest rushing years in NYJ history.  He was one of the most under appreciated Jets from that era.  The Jets had an excellent OLine led by Brick and Mangold but fairly average rental RBs in Thomas Jones and a still good but older and discarded LaDainian Tomlinson.

Tony Richardson lit it up and was one of the biggest reasons that ground and pound succeeded here.  When he left in 2011, well....I don't have to tell you what followed despite several more years of Mangold, Brick, etc.

I have to question this comment. Thomas Jones had 3 X  1,000 yard seasons in his 3 yrs. here with the Jets averaging 4.1 YPC.  He had 28 TD over those 3 yrs. including 13 in 08 and 14 in 09 when he ran for 1402 yds. One of those 14 TDs. went for 71 yds. He also set a franchise record with 210 yds against the Bills breaking Curtis Martins record. In 2008 he ran for 1312 yds. and was 1st team all AFC, 1st team all pro and played in the Pro Bowl. Hardly an average rental RB during those 3 NYJ years. When he retired he was ranked 22 all time in rushing yardage. 

• Sympathy 1

I grew up in New Rochelle and lived in Holy Family Parish.  Often, on Sundays, I would attend Five O'Clock Mass.  I would usually see a gentleman standing in the back,.  He had an impressive build, a massive chest and gargantuan neck.  Always wore a beautifully tailored jacket and turtleneck.  It was Matt Snell, a truly terrific running back who was instrumental in the glorious SB III victory.  Nobody seemed to recognize him or pay him any mind.  He would enter and leave the Church without fanfare.  Years later, his son would attend Iona Prep and excel in football and other sports.  Those were the days, my friends.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jetophile said:

Matt Snell is kind of an emotional vote for me. Favorite Jet ever, and there is no Super Bowl III win without him. Last I read, which was several years ago, he will still throw anyone and everyone off of his property who attempts to talk to him about the Jets. He's going to die angry at that organization.

He won't even take calls from Emerson Boozer. : / I didn't read through this read yet, but I'm sure there are a handful on here who had that famous Snell poster on their bedroom wall.

TANIER4-blog480.jpg

Figured you'd enjoy this article below...@jetophile

Ex-Jets great Matt Snell carries 30-year grudge, vows to skip 'Ring' ceremony

"JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- The man who scored the most famous touchdown in New York Jets history works by himself in a decaying brick building on a gritty residential street. Anyone on the sidewalk can look inside because there's an open garage, blocked by a chain-link fence. You can see two 1970s cars -- a silver Corvette Stingray and a royal-blue Cadillac with a white roof and a "For Sale" sign in the windshield. You can hear classical music coming from the garage, not the soundtrack you'd expect in such a dingy setting.

Time stopped here 40 years ago -- or at least that's how it appeared when a reporter showed up Wednesday, looking to solve the Matt Snell mystery. The former great, who moved like a Vette and styled like a Caddy when he played running back in the 1960s and 70s, cut ties long ago with his former team and his former teammates. The estranged Snell harbors a 30-year grudge, maybe longer, and no one seems to know why.In 10 days, the Jets are planning to induct Snell and his longtime backfield partner, Emerson Boozer, into the Ring of Honor during at halftime ceremony at MetLife Stadium. Snell lives only 10 miles from the stadium, but from all indications, it'll be a one-back formation at midfield. The organization has been trying for weeks -- no, months -- to contact him, to find out if one of their Super Bowl III heroes will attend. The response?

Crickets.

On Wednesday, Snell, 74, emerged from the shadows in his garage to check on a stranger who was calling for him at the chain-link fence. The old man, wearing a blue hoodie with an Olympic logo over his heart, was in cranky mood, leaving no doubt about his intentions. He wants no part of the Jets. There's no chance he will show up next Sunday.

"I don't want anything to do with them," he snapped at the reporter.

"Why? You were such a great player. No one understands why ..."

"That's right, you don't understand," Snell said. "You don't understand because you've never walked in my shoes, OK? Just leave it alone and write your story about Emerson and let him have a good time, let him enjoy himself, OK?"

"So you won't attend?"

"No," he barked. "I'll see you later."

If he were standing in front of a door, he would've slammed it. The balding man, a shriveled-up version of the 6-foot-2, 220-pound hulk who mashed linebackers on Sundays, turned and walked away from the fence, disappearing into the shadows again as a piano concerto echoed in the building that houses his construction business in Jersey City, New Jersey.

It was sad.

On Jan. 12, 1969, Snell rushed for 121 yards and scored New York's only touchdown in the Jets' stunning 16-7 upset of the Baltimore Colts. Some feel he deserved to be the Super Bowl MVP; the honor went to Joe Namath, who famously guaranteed the victory and calmly orchestrated the attack.

Matt Snell's construction business sits in Jersey City, New Jersey, just miles from where the Jets play at MetLife Stadium. 

Snell and Boozer played seven years together, from 1966 to 1972, forming perhaps the most celebrated backfield in team history. Snell and Boozer. Boozer and Snell. They were always linked, and it's entirely fitting they're entering the Ring of Honor as a tandem.

"It would be special for me and special for him if we could be together, our last hurrah on a football field," Boozer said. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping Matt reconsiders. It'll be our last time to see the fans and hear the applause."

The Jets are planning to honor Snell whether he shows up or not. Some wonder if his two children will come on his behalf. Their father already is being honored at the Jets' facility. A giant head shot of Snell is hanging on the wall in the team's field house, along with Boozer and the 15 previous honorees. Many of them will attend the Nov. 29 ceremony. So will members of the Super Bowl III team, a tightly knit group that gathers every year for a golf tournament in New Jersey.

"It's important to recognize both Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer, given their historical accomplishments and contributions to the New York Jets," team spokesman Bruce Speight said. "We are excited that Emerson will be on hand for the ceremony. We have extended the same invitation to Matt for what we are planning to be a fitting celebration of two great Jets."

Clearly, Snell believes he was wronged by the Jets, but how? There are a couple of theories floating around. Some former teammates say he felt snubbed by the team because it wouldn't hire after his playing career. Others believe he's angry because former owner Leon Hess purportedly reneged on a promise to give Snell a job in his oil company.

But Hess died in 1999. Would Snell carry the grudge this long?

Another theory: Snell was a season-ticket holder into the mid-1980s, when the Jets had moved to Giants Stadium, and he became miffed when the price of his four tickets was raised. Word has it that Snell called the ticket office, asking for a 10- to 20-percent reduction. The answer was no, and he surrendered his tickets.

But would he stay angry for 30 years because a mid-level guy in the ticket office gave him a hard time?

No one knows the real story, but there are a lot of hard feelings."I don't know how you could hate that much," said John Schmitt, the starting center in Super Bowl III. "Life is too short. I don't care if you don't like the organization -- that's his choice -- but to not want to be with your teammates? That's wrong. We're all getting up there in age. We don't know when we'll see each other again. I love the guy, but I feel bad for him. He should be there."

Boozer said the last time he spoke to Snell was about three years ago. That phone number no longer works. He doesn't expect to see his old friend next Sunday.

"You'd think he'd want to be part of something like that, and put his bitterness aside," Boozer said.

He'd have 70,000 people cheering for him. Few people on earth are lucky enough to experience something like that.

Snell will stay in the shadows, hanging out with his antique cars and listening to concert-hall music in his beat-up garage". 

That's very sad that a man can stay that angry, for this long... But I have no idea why he feels this way towards the Jets and his former teammates and therefore I'd be wrong to judge him. 

Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer were a beautiful tandem.  Truly "Thunder and Lightning."  Boozer was leading the league in touchdowns but he got seriously hurt.  When it was fun to watch the Jets.  When their offense was exciting.  Would love to see that again.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This thread is useless without ranking the Jets all-time best Safeties.  

1. Victor Green
  2. Brian Washington
  3. Darrol Ray
  4. Kerry Rhodes
  5. Burgess Owens
  6. Ken Schroy
  7. Erik McMillan
  8. Jim Hudson
  9. Harry Hamilton
  10. Erik Coleman

Good list.  But I will never forgive "Toast" Victor Green for biting on that Elway pump fake.  Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......