Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

On 1/13/2021 at 6:36 PM, SAR I said:

With the sole exception of Bill Parcells who had a personal vendetta against the Patriots, no decent head coaching prospect has ever come to the New York Jets.  We always get bottom-tier guys and the next one sucks worse than the one before.

It's not about Gase.  It's about the Jets.  Firing him when we did was wrong.  He was not given a fair shot here and his owner cowed to the stupid fans and his GM threw him under the bus.  This is a toxic organization, poison to a coaching career.  These guys talk.  Todd Bowles and Adam Gase are respected members of a tight-knit coaching community.  Saleh knows what's-what.

Get ready for the desperate.  Whomever the bottom two coordinators are and whoever the bottom two ex-head coaches are.  Pray for Jason Garrett because you're going to get Marvin Lewis.

SAR I

Welp........

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Leonard Williams has 1 good year, not even great, and now he's a franchise player? 

And Jamal Adam's proved what many here have been saying. You don't pay his position big bucks. If there is any evidence of that, look at his lack of impact in the Rams game. Seattle was crazy to give up what they did. I'm sure they'd rather have the 23rd pick back to select an OL or edge 

You did not say anything here that contradicts me.  Leonard Williams played the season on the franchise tag.  That is a fact.  The Giants traded with the Jets for the right to pay him $16M.  Adams was worth 2 first rounders plus.  I'm not saying that Douglas is not better, but you can't act like Becton and Mims have already proven better than anybody Maccagnan drafted.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You did not say anything here that contradicts me.  Leonard Williams played the season on the franchise tag.  That is a fact.  The Giants traded with the Jets for the right to pay him $16M.  Adams was worth 2 first rounders plus.  I'm not saying that Douglas is not better, but you can't act like Becton and Mims have already proven better than anybody Maccagnan drafted.

I mean you're comparing 2 of McGs players that were drafted top 6 to a 2nd rounder and the 11th pick. Not to mention the fact you're talking about rookies vs guys that have a couple years in the league. 

And actually yes I can. Becton, in his rookie season, played much better than either Adams and Williams compared to their rookie years. 

Also, just because Seattle gave up 2 1st rounders doesn't mean Adams is worth 2 1st rounders.

6 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I mean you're comparing 2 of McGs players that were drafted top 6 to a 2nd rounder and the 11th pick. Not to mention the fact you're talking about rookies vs guys that have a couple years in the league. 

And actually yes I can. Becton, in his rookie season, played much better than either Adams and Williams compared to their rookie years. 

Also, just because Seattle gave up 2 1st rounders doesn't mean Adams is worth 2 1st rounders.

Um,  when somebody says:

Heck, Becton and Mims combined are better drafted players than anything the two previous GM's did in their drafts. There's another fact for you.

I would say that they made the comparison, not me.  The fact that the Jets got 2 1st rounders certainly means Adams is worth 2 1st rounders.  The proof is in the deal.   Just like the Jets were a 2-14 team.   Yes, Becton and Mims are rookies and I hope they both end up better than Adams and Williams.  On the other hand, it is early days and Jets fans have been counting their chickens from Eric McMillan to Sanchez and beyond.

To be honest I was pretty MEH on the list of Jets candidates. Matt Campbell was my #1 but since that is not possible, I am good with Saleh.

Even a little excited. I was truly distraught when they hired Gase, and I would have been distraught with Beiniemy, Daboll, Pederson or Smith,

Some things I like about Saleh:

1. He has knowledge of both sides of the ball

2. Unlike many of the "coordinators of the day" he has shown the ability to get good performance even in the face of reduced talent level

3. He is a high energy guy and I think we need that on this team as our roster will be very young

Still, his success will depend on how well he can develop a QB, and the staff he creates. Luckily we are earlier than other teams in the assistant hiring phase so that helps.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um,  when somebody says:

I would say that they made the comparison, not me.  The fact that the Jets got 2 1st rounders certainly means Adams is worth 2 1st rounders.  The proof is in the deal.   Just like the Jets were a 2-14 team.   Yes, Becton and Mims are rookies and I hope they both end up better than Adams and Williams.  On the other hand, it is early days and Jets fans have been counting their chickens from Eric McMillan to Sanchez and beyond.

That makes no sense. You cant use that logic because then you're basically saying every player is worth whatever they were traded for. So was RG3 worth the boatload of picks he was traded for? The proof is not in the deal.

I didn't realize that someone else brought that up but I still disagree with your assessment, especially comparing apples to apples. Becton, by far, has had the best rookie season of any top pick we've had in the past few years. 

On 1/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Dcat said:

Now this is a fluid situation:

pappy-van-winkle-family-reserve-20-year-

Well my friend, I hope there comes a day where we can meet in person and share in the spoils with the sweet taste of Bourbon. 

Today we have signed a coach that can perhaps motivate our team to go out on to the field every week, work harder then the opposition play after play and be victorious.

Cheers!!!!

On 1/13/2021 at 1:12 PM, Jetsbb said:

This should be pinned to the top of the board. I don't know what you get out of this Mogglez. Keep in mind Chris Johnson didn't meet Saleh until the next morning. Its false and embarrassing that it wont affect peoples misplaced belief in this guy

It SHOULD be pinned to the top the board.  @Mogglez nailed this more quickly and accurately than just about anything else around here gets nailed.

• Sympathy 1