Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

The issue is that he is the favorite for the Detroit job (childhood team, the team wants him) and other teams are looking at him as well.   Even if we like him, i find it hard to believe JD wanting to be as thorough as possible would pass up opportunities to interview the other candidates he requested to sign him right away.  I am not sure he will still be around by the time we finish interviewing candidates next week.  I could be wrong however, just my gut feeling. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This should be the guy.  
41, high energy guy, CEO type coach.  

he is an up and coming coach and is interviewing with every team with an opening.  He could bring Matt LaFleur as his OC.  
LaFleur has been learning offense from Shanahan for years.  

This is my number 1 guy. Great package deal. Lafleur from the Shanahan school calling the offense is the cherry on top. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The issue is that he is the favorite for the Detroit job (childhood team, the team wants him) and other teams are looking at him as well.   Even if we like him, i find it hard to believe JD wanting to be as thorough as possible would pass up opportunities to interview the other candidates he requested to sign him right away.  I am not sure he will still be around by the time we finish interviewing candidates next week.  I could be wrong however, just my gut feeling. 

That would be a very Jets like move, not hiring the right guy cause you want to interview more guys.  

I assume everyone is talking about Matt LaFleur's BROTHER. Mike who is the SF Passing game coordinator.  He would be ok, but I think Mike McDaniel would be a stronger candidate for OC and currently serves as the run game coordinator.

Saleh would be an excellent hire, has been with a good HC for 3 years, and has always been praised for his leadership.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Since we played SF this year Saleh had to breakdown Darnold and
our offense.  If Saleh brings a unique perspective on Darnold as a
player and how to improve him he could stand out as a candidate 

Or he could say that someone like Zach wilson is an ideal person to build an offense around a quick tempo play action scheme and is much better suited to do it that jimmy g ever was out there.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Or he could say that someone like Zach wilson is an ideal person to build an offense around a quick tempo play action scheme and is much better suited to do it that jimmy g ever was out there.

Agreed, a DC who has an informed opinion on a QB and offense in general shows "CEO traits"

• Upvote 2

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with us.

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with anyone after Detroit...shows he’s open-minded maybe.

• If you like him, offer him the yacht and the chopper. 

Jets have 2nd pick in the draft and many other picks.  Douglas is regarded as an up and coming gm.  Maybe saleh wants to pitch his ideas for a quick turnaround and if douglas is receptive he’d consider the job.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Since we played SF this year Saleh had to breakdown Darnold and
our offense.  If Saleh brings a unique perspective on Darnold as a
player and how to improve him he could stand out as a candidate 

Dude darnold is the bottom ranked QB due a 25 million dollar extension in May. This is so backwards why wouldn’t he come in with a fresh start?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

But Detroit doesn't have near the assets the Jets do or the #2 pick in the draft. If I'm looking for a coaching job, I'm looking at if I can (with my GM), mold a team in my image of what type of team I'm looking to build. 

With 18 picks this year + next including 4 first rounders + almost 100 million in free agent dollars + a slew of late rounders to use for players that teams bleeding with the cap would want to move players, the Jets are right up there. I also see Joe Douglas as a smart football guy, team player that potential Head Coaches would love to work with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Not sold on him.  He works for arguably the best young HC in the league.  SF has an enormously talented defense filled with lots of talent and veterans.  He would have to have an amazing interview for me to even consider hiring him.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Saleh with LaFleur or Mike McDaniel at OC is very appealing.  The 49ers offense is something I want here.

Yep. Been saying it for years. Shanny is my big coach that hit away.

19 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You are correct.    Mike 

Gotcha ?

19 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

That would be a very Jets like move, not hiring the right guy cause you want to interview more guys.  

If they absolutely fall in love with him and say YES THIS IS THE GUY, then JD would make the move, I am just surmising that he will impress but that they also are very interested by other candidates as well, making it a tricky situation when there are other teams hot on the trail, namely detroit. 

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I assume everyone is talking about Matt LaFleur's BROTHER. Mike who is the SF Passing game coordinator.  He would be ok, but I think Mike McDaniel would be a stronger candidate for OC and currently serves as the run game coordinator.

Saleh would be an excellent hire, has been with a good HC for 3 years, and has always been praised for his leadership.

and is dc of a team with some pretty darn good players like donald.  he might be a fine hc but lets see him have a defense with ordinary players.  and for all of the 49ers ahievements last year they finished 6-10 this year.  oh i get the whole excuse thing about injuries but they still should've done better.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

But Detroit doesn't have near the assets the Jets do or the #2 pick in the draft. If I'm looking for a coaching job, I'm looking at if I can (with my GM), mold a team in my image of what type of team I'm looking to build. 

With 18 picks this year + next including 4 first rounders + almost 100 million in free agent dollars + a slew of late rounders to use for players that teams bleeding with the cap would want to move players, the Jets are right up there. I also see Joe Douglas as a smart football guy, team player that potential Head Coaches would love to work with. 

Very true, it's easy to argue that the jets job is a much more attractive position than Detroits, who currently do not even have a GM.  

Now they may be pitching the situation to him as "you can come in and have the GM of your choice to work together with for the next 5 years". Similar to how they developed the situation in SF with Lynch and Shanahan.  These are things I do not know.  

What I can surmise is that Detroit so far has the upper hand in this situation since they have already had him in for an interview (I believe yesterday), have interviewed 10 GM candidates one of which is George Paton who is highly thought of.  Detroit is also I believe Saleh's childhood team, so the situation seems to be aligning with him and the lions coming together with a good GM. 

The jets are not as far a long in the Coaching process due to the fact that they have to wait until next week to interview a number of their candidates they like.  While im sure Detroit will continue to interview more candidates as well, their list will probably not be as expansive as the jets is reported to be making the timeline on Saleh shorter than other candidates if you want to hire them.  

To me I think he is an excellent candidate, and one in a list of excellent candidates the Jets have lined up, I just do not know if the timeline of when he will be hired will line up with the jets.  Just my two cents. 

36 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with us.

• Surprised he’s even interviewing with anyone after Detroit...shows he’s open-minded maybe.

• If you like him, offer him the yacht and the chopper. 

Or Zach Wilson with the No. 2 Pick.

I said this in a different thread a few weeks back, but Saleh is my favorite.  Not who I think the Jets will get, but who I would take of the people interviewing.

Of all the coordinators in the mix, I just am impressed with his unit the most.  The are very sound schematically, always prepared, play hard and play well without loads of talent(this year at least). 

Throw in the fact, as others have said, he has 2 possible bright young OC candidates, he's very intriguing.

The only reason I hold out hope for him is it seems Douglas and Saleh are cut from the same cloth, so maybe they connect and that's the deciding factor, but I think he's a long shot at best.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This should be the guy.  
41, high energy guy, CEO type coach.  

I like the Youth and Energy ... tbh don't know enough about him to make an educated opinion.  I don't remember hearing anything stellar about SFs passing game. 

But hey if the Football God's respect him we could do worse.

I am interested in the Fitzgerald interview more. But am open to something like this. Shannahan's Offenses typically put up points.

Edited by Dunnie

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I like the Youth and Energy ... tbh don't know enough about him to make an educated opinion.  I don't remember hearing anything stellar about SFs passing game. 

But hey if the Football God's respect him we could do worse.

I am interested in the Fitzgerald interview more. But am open to something like this. Shannahan's Offenses typically put up points.

He's a defensive coordinator.  Even if you had heard about San Francisco's passing game, he'd have nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jets have 2nd pick in the draft and many other picks.  Douglas is regarded as an up and coming gm.  Maybe saleh wants to pitch his ideas for a quick turnaround and if douglas is receptive he’d consider the job.

Sir, this is a Jets forum and I am not used to shiny new things.

And Saleh’s head is plenty shiny so...