Jump to content

Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Even talking about Gase is so yesterday and so SAR. It is over.

 

14 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:


Gase sucked as HC, this is why he was fired from both teams. SAR, please stop with Gase! It’s bringing bad vibes to the board. No one gives a rats A$$ about Gase and anything to do with him. The act has worn out!

 

Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  

However, there is a price to pay for the way he was treated by management, his GM, the media, and the fans.  You can't name a worse head coaching job in professional sports worse than the Jets gig.  We didn't do ourselves any favors this season.

SAR I

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because the “other guy in the room” was Maccagnan.  So CJ did know more than the other guy.  

Don’t fear being wrong. You took a swing based on legitimate info; and apparently it’s what is being heard around the league. Kudos to you, regardless of what happens. 

According to Ian Rapoport and Peter Schrager, Saleh arrived last night and met with some of the people from the Jets organization and is now meeting with Christopher Johnson this morning.  He wil

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hopefully  JD is not willing to die on a hill of making a Darnold the only future QB for the Jets.

Apparently, the Eagles are willing to die on the hill of Carson Wentz (and Howie Roseman) and that is the apparent chain any head coach must be tethered to in order to be offered the Eagles job. Doug Pederson spoke with Troy Aikman and Aikman said that the split with the Eagles basically came down to Wentz, and Pederson not feeling he was the qb for the team in the future. 

The Jets job SHOULD be more atractive than the Eagles jobs for that reason, and many others, as long as the Johnsons stay in the background.

The Jets Job is easily the best option. They have the most cap room, they have options at QB to stay with Darnold or Draft a QB, They have a boat load of early draft picks and if in fact they do decide to stick with Darnold we could have as many as 9 picks in the first 3 rounds if Douglas decides to trade out of pick number 2. This gives a new coach and Douglas so many options on how to build the team and put your stamp on it and that's what makes the Jets the top option with a young team a coach can mold the way he sees fit along with Douglas

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Management put him in an awful rebuild situation, admitted they kept the bad GM too long, brought in a new GM who immediately got rid of all his playmakers, saw that they blew the QB pick in 2018, and cut Gase loose because he couldn't win with a .

But that's just the management side.  The NY media is awful to the Jets, its a multi-million dollar industry of rag merchants writing hit pieces and nobody bloggers posting "Fire Xxxx!" YouTube videos. 

And the NYJ fans, well, we know far too well what they are capable of.  The Jets lose Darnold Week 1.  The Jets lose his back up Week 2.  And planes are flying and billboards are up Week 4.  It's ludicrous.  If I'm a coveted candidate like Salah or Smith, better to be in San Diego where the roster is significantly better, the GM isn't a meek scout, and the fans and the media aren't total assh---s.

SAR I

Gase did an awful job with this team.

Darnold regressed

He chased away stars like Bell

He had terrible answers on why the Jets couldn’t close out games.

His clock management was mind boggling 

He had NO idea what was goin on on defense.

He already was a proven loser in Miami.

We gave him a  shot, he failed, miserably, game over  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

 

 

Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  

However, there is a price to pay for the way he was treated by management, his GM, the media, and the fans.  You can't name a worse head coaching job in professional sports worse than the Jets gig.  We didn't do ourselves any favors this season.

SAR I

What ? The Jets did Gase wrong ? Everyone and I mean everyone thought Gase should go and the Jets did him a favor by letting him coach out the year and not firing him mid season and I'm glad they did. Any coach coming in would see that as a sign of respect to Gase not the other way around. The Jets are probably the most desirable spot for a coach right now. They have finally signed a GM who has much respect around the league this is not the same old Jets when it comes to that position. The options I laid out in my previous post also make the job very desirable for any coaching candidate. 

Apparently the ship has not sailed for you if you are claiming the Jets did Gase wrong. The only person who did Gase wrong was Gase himself not management.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is why, if the jets love a HC, they must be open to suggestion of what the QB spot looks like.

Well JD did say the QB position will be decided on with the HC.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What ? The Jets did Gase wrong ? Everyone and I mean everyone thought Gase should go and the Jets did him a favor by letting him coach out the year and not firing him mid season and I'm glad they did. Any coach coming in would see that as a sign of respect to Gase not the other way around. The Jets are probably the most desirable spot for a coach right now. They have finally signed a GM who has much respect around the league this is not the same old Jets when it comes to that position. The options I laid out in my previous post also make the job very desirable for any coaching candidate. 

Apparently the ship has not sailed for you if you are claiming the Jets did Gase wrong. The only person who did Gase wrong was Gase himself not management.

"Everyone" who thought Gase should go would be the clickbait media and some Jets fans.  Anyone in the coaching fraternity could see that no one could win with the roster provided and in such injured condition.  If you don't think 50 years of awful head coaching choices and NY media and fan mistreatment doesn't reflect badly on this organization as an employer and developer of young coaching talent, I don't know what to tell you.  The Jets have never, ever, gotten a top coordinator to come here and that trend isn't going to change now.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lol @ people pretending to be insiders.

 

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Hey my cousin vinny drives a garbage truck that picks up in Florham park aka insider lol

To be fair, my friend's uncle had some position like mail room supervisor or something,   He actually had plenty of insight that you don't get reading the papers and online articles.  Who they liked, who was on the chopping block and what free agents would probably be back.  I worked at MSG for years.  I was on the hospitality side, but if you think I didn't learn plenty while those guys were eating dinner you're nuts. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What ? The Jets did Gase wrong ? Everyone and I mean everyone thought Gase should go and the Jets did him a favor by letting him coach out the year and not firing him mid season and I'm glad they did. Any coach coming in would see that as a sign of respect to Gase not the other way around. The Jets are probably the most desirable spot for a coach right now. They have finally signed a GM who has much respect around the league this is not the same old Jets when it comes to that position. The options I laid out in my previous post also make the job very desirable for any coaching candidate. 

Apparently the ship has not sailed for you if you are claiming the Jets did Gase wrong. The only person who did Gase wrong was Gase himself not management.

Excuse SAR. He is just getting his Halloween candy, as he is living in October.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I can confirm all of @Mogglez info in here as I have heard the same basically after reading through all my stuff from last night (i admittedly go to bed early and my guys text me late).  I think Saleh is very in play, as is Smith... I get the sense from people I've talked about that I can go either way as both guys are similar but offer different pros. I think it seems like Smith will take more second round interviews so whether the jets continue interviewing or start hard negotiations with one or both candidates I do not know. 

I say this next piece now not as what i have heard directly but more so reading the tea leaves on the situation based on things that have been said.  Saleh I get the sense they think will be a really good fit personality wise for the city and the team, on top of being what they think will be a really good HC and all the positives that go with his coaching prowess. 

The same I think goes for Smith, however I think his personality doesnt play the way Salehs does here.  What Smith has over Saleh though makes things interesting.  @football guy brought this up in another thread and I thought it made an excellent point.  Both guys are gunning for the same OC candidates, so offensively to start their plans are the same.  The issue later becomes when those guys are hired away from the staff Saleh has to start over, while Smith at least can keep continuity by calling the plays himself unless he finds a coordinator he loves to replace them.  

So reading the tea leaves here, it becomes a really interesting decision.  If both candidates are equal in your eyes do you go with the guy that has the charisma and energy that can spark the team and the city, or do you go with the guy that maybe can bring more stability offensively because he can call plays?  I'm not sure thats what it boils down to but thats where my head has been during this whole situation. 

I think the personality aspect, the perception that hes a tough city kind of guy is interesting.  You can see it with Judge, he has the interest of the Giants fans and the press.  Maybe he ultimately gets a little more leeway with the press, gets people thinking he has potential to make it because of that personality while the experience Smith has with both sides of the ball are hard to ignore.  Really like that hes been described as the CEO type of HC, hope that whoever they hire fits that description 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  

Sure you dont.  You should say that in all the Gase posts you've put up in this thread.  🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

 

 

Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  

However, there is a price to pay for the way he was treated by management, his GM, the media, and the fans.  You can't name a worse head coaching job in professional sports worse than the Jets gig.  We didn't do ourselves any favors this season.

SAR I

Give Steve Nash a call.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Jets wanted Saleh it was a mistake to let him leave.  The Jets have a valuation north of 3.5 Billion and earn in a none Covid year about 500 million per.  The difference between a couple of million per and other perks are a rounding error to the Jets owners.  If he's the guy there really is no reason to negotiate anything that's serious.  

I suspect we simply weren't blown away and will go in another direction.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I can confirm all of @Mogglez info in here as I have heard the same basically after reading through all my stuff from last night (i admittedly go to bed early and my guys text me late).  I think Saleh is very in play, as is Smith... I get the sense from people I've talked about that I can go either way as both guys are similar but offer different pros. I think it seems like Smith will take more second round interviews so whether the jets continue interviewing or start hard negotiations with one or both candidates I do not know. 

I say this next piece now not as what i have heard directly but more so reading the tea leaves on the situation based on things that have been said.  Saleh I get the sense they think will be a really good fit personality wise for the city and the team, on top of being what they think will be a really good HC and all the positives that go with his coaching prowess. 

The same I think goes for Smith, however I think his personality doesnt play the way Salehs does here.  What Smith has over Saleh though makes things interesting.  @football guy brought this up in another thread and I thought it made an excellent point.  Both guys are gunning for the same OC candidates, so offensively to start their plans are the same.  The issue later becomes when those guys are hired away from the staff Saleh has to start over, while Smith at least can keep continuity by calling the plays himself unless he finds a coordinator he loves to replace them.  

So reading the tea leaves here, it becomes a really interesting decision.  If both candidates are equal in your eyes do you go with the guy that has the charisma and energy that can spark the team and the city, or do you go with the guy that maybe can bring more stability offensively because he can call plays?  I'm not sure thats what it boils down to but thats where my head has been during this whole situation. 

You go with whoever is best long term for the whole team. If your OC was good enough to get a HC job, then your offense should be in OK shape to keep moving along. I can't imagine the Bills taking a nose dive and being completely lost if Daboll leaves. They might drop in the ranks a little but should keep being contenders under McDermott. 

I'm sure the continuity is nice with a offensive HC but I don't think you can let that steer you one way. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You go with whoever is best long term for the whole team. If your OC was good enough to get a HC job, then your offense should be in OK shape to keep moving along. I can't imagine the Bills taking a nose dive and being completely lost if Daboll leaves. They might drop in the ranks a little but should keep being contenders under McDermott. 

I'm sure the continuity is nice with a offensive HC but I don't think you can let that steer you one way. 

I should say I dont know if it steers you one way or the other directly, but it is an interesting wrinkle and something that could tilt favor if the Jets consider both Candidates basically equal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You go with whoever is best long term for the whole team. If your OC was good enough to get a HC job, then your offense should be in OK shape to keep moving along. I can't imagine the Bills taking a nose dive and being completely lost if Daboll leaves. They might drop in the ranks a little but should keep being contenders under McDermott. 

I'm sure the continuity is nice with a offensive HC but I don't think you can let that steer you one way. 

and then you have to consider what each would want to do at qb.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

For me this team needs Saleh for the reason you mentioned. 
 

I’m not as well versed in Smith’s resume but Saleh to me would help bring an identity to the team and that most important. That is something we haven’t had for years other than “hot garbage”
 

also when it comes to players in Free Agency, I feel like he could attract them more and although we have a good amount of cap room, so do some other teams that need a lot of help. If the deals are similar, he might be able to give us the tiebreaker. 
 

that’s not to diminish the potential issue down the line with an OC leaving, but if you have faith in the system and the coach creating a pipeline then you need to do just that. 
 

if you don’t have the faith in him, then You should know he isn’t your answer. 

Yea i have no idea how either will be, and I dont know enough about Smiths personality to say that he also wouldnt bring that to the table.  It just is an interesting thought because it would seem that the two candidates are viewed very closely so if they were basically the same in most determining factors what would you look to then to help make your decision... I personally dont know which way I would go, I think i lean Saleh, but I also would not be upset if they went smith for that added long term continuity.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I couldn't care less and that's not the point.  It's not about what became of Gase; it's about how the Jets front office, Jets fans, and Jets media treated him and how the NFL coaching fraternity perceives that treatment. 

He inherited a lousy Maccagnan roster prone to injury, saw fans fly planes and buy billboards calling for his firing after only 4 games without his starting quarterback, saw the NY media write non-stop hit pieces, miraculously figured out a way to finish 6-2, saw his new GM release or trade every decent playmaker, saw his new draft class out hurt for almost half the season, kept the worst roster in the league giving top effort, and figured out a way to win 2 of his last 3 games.  And then his GM stabbed him in the back and fired him.

That's not loyalty, and it flies in the face of everything Christopher Johnson has been selling since he took over 4 years ago.  If I'm a hot young NFL head coaching candidate, I don't want to report to the guy that got rid of all the good players and answer to the guy that fired someone put in a bad situation in 2019 only made worse in 2020.

SORE I/2

Fredo: Hey Pinhead, SORE I/2 says I didn’t treat you well.  Do you feel that way?

Gaze: Hey you gave me a job when the rest of the league knew I’m an idiot.

Fredo: So what’s SORE I/2 going on about?

Gaze: He still thinks we beat the Bills in week 1 last year!  Hahahaha!

Fredo:  Hahahaha.

609B671F-382E-44A0-B24D-4E7D3A537E8C.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
"Everyone" who thought Gase should go would be the clickbait media and some Jets fans.  Anyone in the coaching fraternity could see that no one could win with the roster provided and in such injured condition.  If you don't think 50 years of awful head coaching choices and NY media and fan mistreatment doesn't reflect badly on this organization as an employer and developer of young coaching talent, I don't know what to tell you.  The Jets have never, ever, gotten a top coordinator to come here and that trend isn't going to change now.
SAR I

He biggest problem is he is a quitter! Losing is one thing, but the guy couldn’t even muster up his teams being competitive. They lost by double digits on several occasions. All coaches will lose close games, it’s part of the gig, but to be blown out as many times as him. We get the roster was subpar, but he lost to HC’s who were missing there starting QB. The guy had 2 shots at HC and sucked at both. Give it a rest, 99.9% of us are THRILLED he’s no longer with the Jets. In the end of the day, the guy had no fight and is a QUITTER AND A LOSER. Not good qualities of a HC!


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:


He biggest problem is he is a quitter! Losing is one thing, but the guy couldn’t even muster up his teams being competitive. They lost by double digits on several occasions. All coaches will lose close games, it’s part of the gig, but to be blown out as many times as him. We get the roster was subpar, but he lost to HC’s who were missing there starting QB. The guy had 2 shots at HC and sucked at both. Give it a rest, 99.9% of us are THRILLED he’s no longer with the Jets. In the end of the day, the guy had no fight and is a QUITTER AND A LOSER. Not good qualities of a HC!

Gase is gone.  Let it go.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

For me this team needs Saleh for the reason you mentioned. 
 

I’m not as well versed in Smith’s resume but Saleh to me would help bring an identity to the team and that most important. That is something we haven’t had for years other than “hot garbage”
 

also when it comes to players in Free Agency, I feel like he could attract them more and although we have a good amount of cap room, so do some other teams that need a lot of help. If the deals are similar, he might be able to give us the tiebreaker. 
 

that’s not to diminish the potential issue down the line with an OC leaving, but if you have faith in the system and the coach creating a pipeline then you need to do just that. 
 

if you don’t have the faith in him, then You should know he isn’t your answer. 

Totally agree.  The current coach that Saleh reminds me most of is Vrabel.  Smart, fiery guy with a defensive background.  The Titans are experiencing the OC exodus that some people fear with Saleh, but are staying competitive and in the playoffs (although I guess we’ll see how they do next year after losing Smith).

i just feel that our players need, and will respond to, a coach that will bring high energy and get them fired up - after Bowles’ and Gase’s low-key personalities.  A jolt of electricity is just what this organization needs to bring it back from the dead, and Saleh can be the defibrillator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

 

 

Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  

However, there is a price to pay for the way he was treated by management, his GM, the media, and the fans.  You can't name a worse head coaching job in professional sports worse than the Jets gig.  We didn't do ourselves any favors this season.

SAR I

Jets job is a lot more desirable than the Texans one, Eagles one and probably even the Lions one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biggs said:

If the Jets wanted Saleh it was a mistake to let him leave.  The Jets have a valuation north of 3.5 Billion and earn in a none Covid year about 500 million per.  The difference between a couple of million per and other perks are a rounding error to the Jets owners.  If he's the guy there really is no reason to negotiate anything that's serious.  

I suspect we simply weren't blown away and will go in another direction.

Money is not the top motivator for some people.  Saleh is a guy who left a lucrative financial career to start at the very bottom rung of a coaching career that he realized was his heart’s desire.  There are some things that the Johnsons’ money can’t change - like Saleh’s desire to coach his hometown team and be near his family (with the Lions) or to go to a team he’s familiar with that has draft and cap room assets that are slightly better than ours (Jaguars).  Based on what we’ve heard from our JetNation “insiders”, it sounds like this may be what’s happening with Saleh.

It’s not at all clear at this point that Saleh is the Lions’ top choice, so if the Jags do close the Meyer deal, it seems like Saleh could find his way back here.  Then, the money may become more of a factor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

supposedly, the GM (Ed Dodds)  Saleh wanted to work with will not be hired in Detroit.  

Yup.  Lions hired Brad Holmes, Director of Scouting from the Rams.  That coul dmake Staley a frontrunner in Detroit, which would leave it to us or the Eagles for Saleh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it today's world this may not be as important.  All we hear about is what the offensive coordinators potentially would be.

Any idea on who would be defensive coordinators. Even for Saleh - if the idea is he would be a 'ceo type' and the defensive coordinator would be the one calling plays, game planning etc.  - have their been any reports on who the options are?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...