Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

42 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

When Parcells was the coach the Jets had one of the best staff's in the NFL if not the best. If Parcells did not always see the next shiny object and stayed here we might have won a championship. 

Agreed, but we didn't actually recruit Parcells or woo him here; he was pissed at Kraft and had a house in Sea Girt from which to exact his revenge.

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No one is disputing the fact our roster stunk for most of the year but that does not excuse some of the real boneheaded decisions Gase made either when it came to game management. Only the Jets know how Gase handled things on the inside and I'm sure that played a part as well.

Agreed.

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Also FWIW  you had this "so called" terrible line-up going 5-0 to start the season 

That was before Adams was traded, before Mosley opted-out, before Mims/Perriman/Perine missed half the season, before Bell busted, before Darnold busted.  In June 2019 we thought Darnold was going to grow off the 6-2 finish, we thought Bell had lost weight and was ready for battle, we thought Jamal and Mosley up the middle was going to be dynamic, and we thought the injury bug wasn't going to return.  Oops.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Every coach being considered for a HC job right now has a thin NFL resume (including Meyer)  other than Lewis and I want no part of him.  17 years with  a few playoff appearances and zero playoff wins is not what I want to sign up for here. We've been down that road from 2001-2010.  Brady, Smith, Saleh, Staley, Daboll..... It's going to be a leap of faith.  That's why I preferred Harbaugh and would have offered him a ton of money before he re-upped with Mighigan.  He has proven NFL success.  Of the list of who remains, I prefer Saleh at this point based purely on what I have read and my preference for the Shannahan coaching tree.  Brady has proven nothing and is a blank page.  I do not think what Smith built in Tennessee (ground and pound with a retread QB who is merely good) wins titles in the NFL.  Staley is unproven and the shine is off the McVay tree right now. Daboll had 4 months of success preceded by a few years of mediocrity and comes from the Bellichick tree, which is basically barren.  

Good post.  We always get rookie head coaches and they make rookie mistakes and gain experience on our dime.  ( fixed: more like on our nickle).

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or they bring in a Bates

I think after we miss out on all these hot coordinators we're going to turn to ex-head coaches like Garrett and Pederson.  And I'll be very good with that as they both have huge upsides in experience that nonames like Smith lack.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

at this point, we don't know who our "first choice" is, frankly.

and at this point, we may end up with our "second, third or fourth" choice...we literally don't know which way this is headed.

No one does.

JD doesn't.

1182360155.jpg.0.jpg

History says when it comes to the hot up-and-coming candidates we get the fat girl at the prom.

Pederson and Garrett.  Start thinking in that direction.  Good lord, a recent Super Bowl Champion and the guy who developed Dak, Zeke, and Dez.  I pray we are the last job remaining and can get either of these two guys.  Tom Coughlin to the Giants 2.0.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

1182360155.jpg.0.jpg

History says when it comes to the hot up-and-coming candidates we get the fat girl at the prom.

Pederson and Garrett.  Start thinking in that direction.  Good lord, a recent Super Bowl Champion and the guy who developed Dak, Zeke, and Dez.  I pray we are the last job remaining and can get either of these two guys.  Tom Coughlin to the Giants 2.0.

SAR I

I would sign for either of those guys NOW.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Pederson would be the most accomplished head coach we've had since Parcells.  Maybe we're not hiring because Pederson is the real target.

If Pederson really got kicked out of Philadeliphia because he wanted to play Hurts and Roseman and Lurie wanted Wentz, he's not coming here unless Douglas is going to let him get rid of Darnold.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Hey maybe I'm wrong maybe the Johnsons are just idiots not cheap 

Saleh to det is a fit but if he goes to Philly or LAC yes it was about the money. 

Let's be real. Adam gase was the cheapest excuse for a coach they could find. Jeremy bates was paid in beef jerky 

They haven't paid for a coach since ever. 

It isn't cheapness.  The good coaches worth the big bucks don't want to come here.  And we are in worse shape now than we were in 2018 when Bowles was fired and the best we could do then was Gase.  We had cap space then, we had a bonafide franchise QB prospect then, and we wound up with the fat girl at the dance, again.

The excuses (Money! Johnsons!) and the faux upsides (Draft capital! Cap space!) are not the issue, never have been.  The issue is we don't treat our head coaches properly and the fans are ready to fire them before they've even moved their children's furniture.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If Pederson really got kicked out of Philadeliphia because he wanted to play Hurts and Roseman and Lurie wanted Wentz, he's not coming here unless Douglas is going to let him get rid of Darnold.

He would.

Douglas isn't an Alpha.  He's a pencil pushing scout, a smart nerd.  If he gets a coordinator, Douglas has seniority and an upper hand.  If he gets an experienced head coach, that person will be the Alpha.  And, frankly, from what I've seen of Douglas, I'd prefer that.  He has an eye for player talent.  That's all I want from Douglas.  I want the head coach to be the animal.

Watch this video.  Some forget how awesome Pederson is, who he's worked for, who his mentors were, and who he developed.  Getting him would be an amazing coup.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He would.

Douglas isn't an Alpha.  He's a pencil pushing scout, a smart nerd.  If he gets a coordinator, Douglas has seniority and an upper hand.  If he gets an experienced head coach, that person will be the Alpha.  And, frankly, from what I've seen of Douglas, I'd prefer that.  He has an eye for player talent.  That's all I want from Douglas.  I want the head coach to be the animal.

Watch this video.  Some forget how awesome Pederson is, who he's worked for, who his mentors were, and who he developed.  Getting him would be an amazing coup.

SAR I

All I can really say here is maybe slow down and work on football players some more before you try doing evals on nerds or alphas.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He would.

SAR I

I'd pay to see you say that to his face as he shoved that pencil in your...............

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

so of no fault of the Jets, this is a cluster ****

and we have no idea who the top candidates are

I think Douglas would prefer this view. Those who know don’t talk, those that talk don’t know. At least Douglas is keeping a tight ship when it comes to leaks .

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I prefer Pederson, but really wouldn't mind Garrett either. I think he gets an underserved bad rap. He's a pretty good HC.

I would take Pederson but Garrett? Are you kidding? He was a disaster in Dallas as HC and is a mediocre coordinator at best. Hard, hard pass.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Sam = Wentz-lite

15 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Fascinating development. First we heard the Daboll rumors, then Daboli entered the conversation. Maybe Douglaus actually goes with Dabaoll. Coming out of nowhere. 

I think Daboll has always been in the mix, but his availability for a 2nd in person interview (due to Bills playoff run) could be an issue

27 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

All I can really say here is maybe slow down and work on football players some more before you try doing evals on nerds or alphas.

The opposite.  Too many of you get lost in the weeds and can't see the big picture.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

I would take Pederson but Garrett? Are you kidding? He was a disaster in Dallas as HC and is a mediocre coordinator at best. Hard, hard pass.

If Garrett was a disaster what was Gase? Garrett's teams always played hard and were pretty much always competitive. Maybe he gets to the Super Bowl if the refs don't botch the Dez Bryant catch in 2014. I don't think he did a bad job there at all.  Was there 10 years with only 1 losing season(in which he lost his starting QB), won a pretty tough division 3 times. I think you're WAY off on Garrett.

22 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd pay to see you say that to his face as he shoved that pencil in your...............

It's funny really.  Everyone looks at Gase's eyes and judges him immediately yet when you look at Douglas' eyes you can't admit what you see-  someone in over his head, suddenly thrust into the hot seat, wishing he was the behind-the-scenes guy where its safe and warm.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Douglas isn't an Alpha.  He's a pencil pushing scout, a smart nerd.  If he gets a coordinator, Douglas has seniority and an upper hand. 

OK, you now trumped the worlds worst post before this one.  

I'd love to have been there when this pencil pushing scout, the smart nerd sent your boy Gase packing with a kick to the ass while the door slammed behind him.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

If Garrett was a disaster what was Gase? Garrett's teams always played hard and were pretty much always competitive. Maybe he gets to the Super Bowl if the refs don't botch the Dez Bryant catch in 2014. I don't think he did a bad job there at all.  Was there 10 years with only 1 losing season(in which he lost his starting QB), won a pretty tough division 3 times. I think you're WAY off on Garrett.

Garret has nothing to do with Gase. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, you now trumped the worlds worst post before this one.  

I'd love to have been there when this pencil pushing scout, the smart nerd sent your boy Gase packing with a kick to the ass while the door slammed behind him.  

Fans see what they want to see.  They wanted to see Gase as some maniacal loser and they want to see Douglas as some strong willed winner.

Joe Douglas is a fine scout and someone who looks like he knows what he's doing behind the scenes.  But Douglas' press conferences the day after Gase was fired were very concerning.  No eye contact, looking down, looking uncomfortable, saying things that meant nothing, it wasn't pretty.

My point is that we may not hire an Alpha head coach because Douglas is scared of that.  Quiet guys like Smith concern me.  Maccagnan + Bowles 2.0.

SAR I

• Upvote 1