Cimini Wants Watson, But Can't Afford Him

addage

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Be prepared to get attacked by the Anti Darnold crowd ? 

Whatever man. Everyone has an opinion. I don’t think Sam has really had a chance to develop due to player personnel and coaching deficits. He’s only 23 yrs. old. There's a lot life left in that young man.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Devil's Advocate:  Why? 

More specifically, what can't we fix or can't we do because we make the rumoured 2021 #2 + 2022 Seattle Pick #1 + 2023 Jets #1 for Watson trade?

First.... and your welcome to go back and check..  I was actually on Watson back in like week 5-6 ( before he was reported to be disgruntled)- I started a thread that was later merged. I did see things going south down there. 

But three number 1 picks is too much - especially given the present roster. My Preference would be to draft Sewell. The Jets have a rare opportunity to have an elite tackle on both sides. The secondary is a complete mess and they have to find an edge rusher- it’s only been a decade plus since they’ve had one.

Ive said this in many of my post over the last few months... My feeling is they need to build the foundation of this team first. Then worry about the quarterback. Whether it’s Watson, Fields, Trevor or Wilson. This is a 6-7 win team in 21- ( best case scenario).

I would be willing to give up our Seattle pick and next years 1 for Watson- but want to keep the #2 overall this year.

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

EsHCiPKXYAIbmLB?format=jpg&name=small

So, a first this year and next (both drafts where we would still have first rounders, a 2021 second rounders, and a first in the far distant future? 

So basically a (Box) Safety, a first, and a second? For a kid who just threw 4,800 yards to a bunch of Amazon delivery drivers? That All Pro caliber players would line up to play with? Who is an absolute darling of the Media and would instantly add to the already huge bump in credibility the Jets have garnered in the 2 weeks since we sh*tcanned Gayze?

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok Nico, we agree we're pretty thin on talent, especially and specifically at #1 QB and offense.

He's good enough to put up 4,800, 70%, 33/7 at QB despite on a borken, dysfunctional complete trash team.

Is Darnold?  Is Fields?  Is Wilson? Is any other QB we could obtain more cheaply?

And 10-6 and 11-5 the two years previous.  Lets not pretend Covid20' was Watson's first and only year.

Why stop at 7, why not say it's 27 guaranteed elite players, including three better QB's? ?  Hyperbole doesn't help your argument here.

What they in fact are is a 50/50 shot, a shot to draft three first round players over three season who may or may not be good, much less great, and in the meanwhile we either play Darnold (worst QB in NFL) or a rookie like Fields or Wilson.  

JD could pick three #1's that all would be great, including a QB at #2 this year, presuming either Wilson or Fields are that good. 

What do we think the actual odds are of that?  That either Wilson of Fields will be a 4,800 yard, 70%, 33/7 type QB immediately in the NFL?  Watson is that today.  If we take what JD says, he might just stick with Darnold.

The usual crapshoot draft odds say those 3x #1 picks are in fact one very good/great player, one good, and one bust player over those three years.

Let's say the Jets also surprise me, and land Robinson (a #1 QB) and Thunney (A #1 Guard), like so many fans hope, a long with a few lower cost players and our remaining picks (including #23, #36 and both 3rd rounders)? 

Are we still "depleted" then?  

I think you have it twisted, we're horrible because of two people primarily:  Gase and Darnold.  Gase is gone, Darnold is replaced in this scenario with a top-end passer/producer.

I'm not going to hyperbole myself and say we "must" make such a trade or get puffy about it, in point of fact I tend to be much more the "no, frugal, build through the draft" kinda fan myself and can see that route also working, as I did before this rumour started. 

But I also cannot look at a Watson + Robinson + #23, 2nd, 2x 3rd's and feel we're unable to still build even without the picks.  If we had only one #1, maybe I'd feel differently, but the first year we'd lack a #1 would be 2023.  And we'd have all of other picks still in hand.  Plenty of picks to keep building with, while actually competing and trying to win now as well. 

If they go this route, things will definitely not be boring in 2021, and we're definitely not a 4 win team, that I do believe.  Watson is instantly the best QB to wear Jets green since at least Namath (and probably ever).  He puts up an average season, and he not just breaks every Jets QB all-time record, but breaks them by miles.  I wouldn't cry watching that happen, even if it meant we get a few less Jets draftees from Adams departure.

TL/dr 

I've got one thing to say and that is most everyone on this forum including me BLASTED Adams for his behavior and trying to worm his way off this team. Now Watson is basically doing the same thing (minus the stupid tweets), but saying management doesn't listen to his opinions on who should be GM and HC, and you're all falling all over yourself wanting to get him on the team... I can't wait if that happens and he pulls this crap again, what most of your opinions would be. How bout we start getting TEAM players on this team...  I'm guessing that's exactly what Saleh and JD are looking for.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our biggest hole is at QB.  Eventually, heavy draft capital will need to be spent there, either via the # 2 pick in the upcoming draft or, potentially, by trading up in a future draft.  It's unavoidable.  And no one knows for sure if that pick at QB will hit.

Add Watson and we can still build around him via the draft.  That's the luxury we have after getting the picks in the Adams trade.

I'm just wondering what all the guys that seem to be totally in on getting Watson would consider a prohibitive cost in terms of DPs needed to obtain him and his impact on the cap?

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Warfish you and I have been Jets fans for years together over multiple boards 

They never make this deal. Woody Johnson heard that Watson is due 30 mil per season and did a spit take. Tea got all over the crumpets. 

The whole point of the rookie pay scale is to exploit the cheap labor and trade the player for picks one day. 

The Jets don't trade FOR expensive players. That's the opposite of everything this franchise stands for. 

The Jets won't want to pay Watson 

JD doesn't want to lose his precious draft picks 

Coach Saleh said there are no shortcuts. He said that today. 

And most relevant, Watson's not going to want to waive his no trade clause for a bunch of promises about who they are going to sign in FA. 

This might be a deal the fans want and the media is hyping but it makes no sense to anyone involved 

I don't think it's going to happen, no.

But I would argue that if it could happen, it's not a bad idea to make the deal, especially if along with it comes an effort to throw Brinks trucks of money at Robinson and Thuney as well.

Resign Maye.  Trade Darnold for a mid-rounder (I think a 4th is possible/reasonable).

Draft your preferences at #23 (1st), 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, etc.

That 2021 Jets team, led by Saleh and competent Coaches (I hope), would excite me.

So while I don;t think it'll happen, I won't pretend it's the worst idea ever like some are.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Literally the same memes and posts for Lev Bell and before that Kirk Cousins. 

Didn't want either.

"Sam is 23!! He's SOOOO YOOOOUNG!!! So, he's been a total loser his first 3 seasons, but its not his fault!! He needs da WEAPONZ!!!"

Meanwhile, 25 year old multiple Pro Bowl QB who would have set Jets passing records pretty much every year of his 4 year career, throwing to trash last season that make Crowder, Mims, and Perriman look like the Greatest Show on Turf is "too expensive".

Jesus. 

LOL, some fans DESERVE the suck we've been stuck in.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm just wondering what all the guys that seem to be totally in on getting Watson would consider a prohibitive cost in terms of DPs needed to obtain him and his impact on the cap?

A young franchise QB is damn near priceless. So let’s just say that three 1st round picks is a small price to pay in my eyes.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:18 PM, dcJet said:

Three firsts is not a huge price.  The 2nd overall would be used for fields, so that's a wash when we get watson.

The other two Seattle picks are probably in the 20's which may get two starters or only one.  Maybe Hollywood Brown types.

Fields + 1 or 2 starters is not better than Watson.  Fields may bust, 2 rookies may bust.  Watson doesn't bust and might get us a FA like Arob and we have other draft picks - we're loaded

Fields probably will bust .. Trevor Lawrence or WIlson have better shots. So if Fields happens to go first you jsut lost out on Lawrence because you wanted a guy that has floundered in the Playoffs.

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Fields probably will bust .. Trevor Lawrence or WIlson have better shots. So if Fields happens to go first you jsut lost out on Lawrence because you wanted a guy that has floundered in the Playoffs.

And Lawrence isn't dropping to two.

Risk management.

Chances of being top 10 QB in any season for the next 10 years

Watson - 80%
Fields - 20%
Wilson - 20%
Genold - 1%