Jump to content

Offensive lineman we might be targeting


Recommended Posts

Anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other on some of these guys we might target with pick 23 or 34? Assuming we don’t trade our picks I’m willing to bet good money one of these guys will be drafted by us 

 

OT

Christian Darrishaw VT

Jalen Mayfield Michigan 

Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State

Liam Echenberg Norte Dame 

Alex Leatherwood Alabama 

Dillon Radunz North Dakota St

 

IOL

Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

Wyatt Davis Ohio State 

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 

Landon Dickerson Alabama 

Trey Smith Tennessee 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things that jumped out at me in the PFF piece was their mention of Kendrick Green out of Illinois. Not a guy at 23 or 34 but 6'4, 315, second team All American and first team All Big Ten, e

Liam Eichenberg had a solid pro day considering he's a guy no one expected to test very well. His agility scores were off the charts, which is a good indicator/projection into the wide zone. He fits t

I think my pick at 23 now, if he is available would be Teven Jenkins. I think someone that can be a day 1 starter at guard, with the possibility of replacing Fant at RT in the future is the best way t

Posted Images

Guest Into The Green

A lot of the early round OL on your list don't appear to be the best fit for zone, especially at OC. I've been struggling to find players that fit so I'll have to look into Green, thanks! 

As for that list, I like Mayfield, but it might be too early to commit to someone who needs to sit a year and develop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other on some of these guys we might target with pick 23 or 34? Assuming we don’t trade our picks I’m willing to bet good money one of these guys will be drafted by us 

 

OT

Christian Darrishaw VT

Jalen Mayfield Michigan 

Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State

Liam Echenberg Norte Dame 

Alex Leatherwood Alabama 

Dillon Radunz North Dakota St

 

IOL

Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

Wyatt Davis Ohio State 

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 

Landon Dickerson Alabama 

Trey Smith Tennessee 

 

I don't think Darrisaw makes it to 23 but if he does I'd be pretty excited to grab him, especially if we can land a Thuney/Scherff/Lindlsey in FA. Same with Vera-Tucker, love the idea of playing him at RG for a year and then seeing if he can replace Fant. 

I think they pass on most of the other OTs at 23/34 and focus on WR/CB/Edge. There should be great options at WR and Edge at 23 and you may get a dangler from that group at 34. If they address those positions in FA that can change obviously, but still think with the amount of holes they have they punt on OT for another year unless they get a stud. 

I think the rest of the IOL may have more issues with an outside zone scheme, with the exception being Wyatt Davis. 

One name at tackle I think they could take is Sam Cosmi. Hes pretty ideal for the scheme and if he can add more muscle mass could be a pro bowl level player. A wildcard at OT is Walker Little from Stanford, who was projected to be a top 10 pick but tore his ACL in 2019 and opted out in 2020. If he is around at 34, or with a mid 2nd round pick via a Darnold trade or move back - I think he is a good risk reward profile, especially if we are able to address some of the other positions of need (IOL, WR, Edge, CB) in FA and earlier picks. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I don't think Darrisaw makes it to 23 but if he does I'd be pretty excited to grab him, especially if we can land a Thuney/Scherff/Lindlsey in FA. Same with Vera-Tucker, love the idea of playing him at RG for a year and then seeing if he can replace Fant.

Vera-Tucker is by far the best fit. He can absolutely be a tackle too. At T he's basically what the former administration hoped Edoga would develop into. At G he has the potential to be a Zach Martin-level player. I just have a hard time seeing him lasting until 23. I think he's the OL3 and many may even see him as OL2. 

Spencer Brown is someone to keep an eye on, but I'm not sure what Douglas would be willing to invest in a guy like that. I think he would prefer to draft someone who can play inside or outside because he likes that versatility and the team feels good about George Fant. If Spencer Brown is there in round 3? Absolutely a possibility. Douglas already showed us last year that he'll draft guys high in round 3 and not expect results immediately. Whether he falls that far is another question entirely. He's so athletic and has such rare traits that I feel like someone will take a chance on him much higher than people think. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, football guy said:

Vera-Tucker is by far the best fit. He can absolutely be a tackle too. At T he's basically what the former administration hoped Edoga would develop into. At G he has the potential to be a Zach Martin-level player. I just have a hard time seeing him lasting until 23. I think he's the OL3 and many may even see him as OL2. 

Spencer Brown is someone to keep an eye on, but I'm not sure what Douglas would be willing to invest in a guy like that. I think he would prefer to draft someone who can play inside or outside because he likes that versatility and the team feels good about George Fant. If Spencer Brown is there in round 3? Absolutely a possibility. Douglas already showed us last year that he'll draft guys high in round 3 and not expect results immediately. Whether he falls that far is another question entirely. He's so athletic and has such rare traits that I feel like someone will take a chance on him much higher than people think. 

FG.... can you explain the system JD instituted grading/evaluating players in the draft? I believe MacDaddy had a players grouped/graded by round. JD changed the system to tiered grading ie. Tier 1-8? TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Landon Dickerson is one of my favorite players in the draft, but unfortunately he has a rough injury history.

Not only can he play every position on the line, but hes a hard working, high character guy. Would love to see him with one of our 3rd round picks

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

FG.... can you explain the system JD instituted grading/evaluating players in the draft? I believe MacDaddy had a players grouped/graded by round. JD changed the system to tiered grading ie. Tier 1-8? TIA

Inside look at Jets GM Joe Douglas’ new draft grading system and how it could help revamp his roster

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-joe-douglas-draft-scouts-evaluating-roster-grading-20200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

FG.... can you explain the system JD instituted grading/evaluating players in the draft? I believe MacDaddy had a players grouped/graded by round. JD changed the system to tiered grading ie. Tier 1-8? TIA

It's a grading scale as you mention. They stack the board based on grades, and those grades based on how they fit within the scheme. It's very much role specific, and they use numbers to indicate what they believe that player's role is/can be 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I’ve been going over the senior bowl and a guy that’s intriguing is D’Ante Smith out of East Carolina. He was only 295 Lbs at the senior bowl but he was damn good. He’s apparently played at 275 but that won’t cut it in the NFL. His feet were super good though and if he can play at right around 300 lbs he might be a steal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, football guy said:

It's a grading scale as you mention. They stack the board based on grades, and those grades based on how they fit within the scheme. It's very much role specific, and they use numbers to indicate what they believe that player's role is/can be 

Do you think we will be interested on Carl Lawson ? My top 2 targets would be thuney and Lawson . 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really need to see what the Jets do in FA to assess who and where they might target for the OLine. The question on the interior is how much do the Jets want to move on from Alex Lewis, McGovern, or GVR, etc. and have they given up on Cameron Clark already (taken just one year ago at #129 overall)?  If they add someone like a Thuney then I don't think they'll feel any pressing need to hit OL early in the Draft they'd likely just be opportunistic if someone falls into their lap (ex. If a talented RT dropped into their lap I think they'd grab him to push Fant out.

With all that said, I really like Rashawn Slater and Vera-Tucker as prospects for their versatility.  Both are capable of playing multiple interior spots.  If we drafted one of them they'd immediately compete for either an OG or RT spot depending on what happened in FA.

Picking at #2 and #23 currently, the Jets might be in no man's land for these guys.  Too early at #2 and both could be gone by #23 (although I think it will be close with Vera-Tucker).  A trade down from #2 or moving up from #23 might make sense, but I doubt JD is trading up that early in the Draft due to cost.  As I said earlier, the Jets might just be opportunistic with some of the RT prospects later in the Draft.

What do you guys think of Dillon Radunz?

Or, what about going after a C prospect like Creed Humphrey or Josh Myers and moving McGovern to OG?

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, C Mart said:

Inside look at Jets GM Joe Douglas’ new draft grading system and how it could help revamp his roster

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-joe-douglas-draft-scouts-evaluating-roster-grading-20200407-lo6l56dqjnesndljbhvs6wlani-story.html

Can you really say Mehta has an inside look after everything that has come out?  I read it though because it was interesting.  This was I thought was interesting only simple because I feel like there should another category between day 1 starter to starting caliber is a big gap...players develop.  Mahomes wasnt a day 1 start, neither was Lamar, both have MVP's.  Not sure it matters just interesting.

  • Day 1 starter
  • Starting-caliber player with limitations (that might or might not be correctable)
  • Role player (aka — spot starter or significant contributor in sub packages)
  • Low-level roster player and/or practice squad
  • Training camp/preseason roster filler (aka — Camp body)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 4:51 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

 

I don't think Darrisaw makes it to 23 but if he does I'd be pretty excited to grab him, especially if we can land a Thuney/Scherff/Lindlsey in FA. Same with Vera-Tucker, love the idea of playing him at RG for a year and then seeing if he can replace Fant. 

I think they pass on most of the other OTs at 23/34 and focus on WR/CB/Edge. There should be great options at WR and Edge at 23 and you may get a dangler from that group at 34. If they address those positions in FA that can change obviously, but still think with the amount of holes they have they punt on OT for another year unless they get a stud. 

I think the rest of the IOL may have more issues with an outside zone scheme, with the exception being Wyatt Davis. 

One name at tackle I think they could take is Sam Cosmi. Hes pretty ideal for the scheme and if he can add more muscle mass could be a pro bowl level player. A wildcard at OT is Walker Little from Stanford, who was projected to be a top 10 pick but tore his ACL in 2019 and opted out in 2020. If he is around at 34, or with a mid 2nd round pick via a Darnold trade or move back - I think he is a good risk reward profile, especially if we are able to address some of the other positions of need (IOL, WR, Edge, CB) in FA and earlier picks. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Cleveland - OG - Georgia.  Weighed in at 354 and is going to try and set the record for bench at Georgia's proday.

Could you imagine pairing him next to Becton?

holy sh*t

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ben Cleveland - OG - Georgia.  Weighed in at 354 and is going to try and set the record for bench at Georgia's proday.

Could you imagine pairing him next to Becton?

holy sh*t

James Morgan approves.😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t know if he will last to pick 23

Oh there’s no chance he’s lasting to 23. Top fifteen lock IMO.

I still think he’s a sleeper target if the Jets move down. Let him displace any of the OL besides Becton and have him to throw at LT when Becton misses snaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t know if he will last to pick 23

I’m gonna add .05 to everyone’s times. A 4.93 is still super impressive and locks him in at OT2 probable top 15 pick.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Daniel Faalele declared in or out of the draft yet?

 

EDIT: Yeah, he's returning to school.  My dreams of a gravitational OL are delayed a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone care to rank RT prospects exclusively?  Obviously, some OTs can play both spots and some guys like Slater and Vera-Tucker can play multiple spots, but if the Jets are on the clock in say the 3rd round (#66), I’m trying to understand if there would be a really good OT who dropped out of Round 2 simply because he’s a RT and can’t play Left.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, jetstream23 said:

Anyone care to rank RT prospects exclusively?  Obviously, some OTs can play both spots and some guys like Slater and Vera-Tucker can play multiple spots, but if the Jets are on the clock in say the 3rd round (#66), I’m trying to understand if there would be a really good OT who dropped out of Round 2 simply because he’s a RT and can’t play Left.

 

Radunz is definitely on my radar as a guy who might slip not only because he is from a small school but because he is suited to play RT in the NFL (despite having played LT in college). Not sure if he will be there in Rd. 3 though. 

The next guy who comes to mind is Spencer Brown out of Northern Iowa. He should be there in the 3rd. 

Both guys would fit LaFleurs offensive scheme. Brown is more of a developmental prospect and we would need to keep Fant around as the starter. He's also not really suited to play Guard unlike Radunz, who IMO, could step in and compete for a Guard or RT spot right away. However, he will also probably get drafted somewhere in Rd. 2.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Radunz is definitely on my radar as a guy who might slip not only because he is from a small school but because he is suited to play RT in the NFL (despite having played LT in college). Not sure if he will be there in Rd. 3 though. 

The next guy who comes to mind is Spencer Brown out of Northern Iowa. He should be there in the 3rd. 

Both guys would fit LaFleurs offensive scheme. Brown is more of a developmental prospect and we would need to keep Fant around as the starter. He's also not really suited to play Guard unlike Radunz, who IMO, could step in and compete for a Guard or RT spot right away. However, he will also probably get drafted somewhere in Rd. 2.  

There seem to be a lot of OTs in this Draft.  Early on there are some guys who won't be Top 20 but fit into that late 1st and 2nd round.  Jalen Mayfield from Michigan seems like a guy who, depending on what holes the Jets fill in FA, could be a decent pick at #34 if the Jets use their #2 and #23 wisely.  Signing an OG and then drafting a solid RT would practically complete the OLine rebuild which is key regardless of what the Jets do at QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other on some of these guys we might target with pick 23 or 34? Assuming we don’t trade our picks I’m willing to bet good money one of these guys will be drafted by us 

 

OT

Christian Darrishaw VT

Jalen Mayfield Michigan 

Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State

Liam Echenberg Norte Dame 

Alex Leatherwood Alabama 

Dillon Radunz North Dakota St

 

IOL

Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

Wyatt Davis Ohio State 

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 

Landon Dickerson Alabama 

Trey Smith Tennessee 

we need guards/center most imo... I really like Vera-Tucker & Davis. Also really like Dickerson - but he drops to 3rd round... maybe late 3rd (latest) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sign Hudson and draft

C72B2ED5-0789-494B-81C8-FFB2A9A03C1B.thumb.jpeg.4212451f852ece583ca729171e849f8a.jpeg7524BC8E-587D-4CEE-B684-E5BD0C630456.jpeg.fa3eab684c78c056405eb7939c8e5e8f.jpeg

Man, a trade down to something like 4 or 7 that still allows the Jets to nab a player like Sewell, Pitts, Waddle or Chase.... man that’s tasty.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen one interview with Slater where he said he would play Guard if that's what his team needed him to do.  Depending on where we traded down to, that might be an interesting path to take.  He looks like a beast and might be the best Guard in the draft with the experience to swing out to Tackle if needed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've seen one interview with Slater where he said he would play Guard if that's what his team needed him to do.  Depending on where we traded down to, that might be an interesting path to take.  He looks like a beast and might be the best Guard in the draft with the experience to swing out to Tackle if needed.  

Yeah I think that guard with swing to tackle ability would be pretty huge since iOL help would be welcome and Becton misses snaps. Vera-Tucker fits the mold as well. Mayfield a little less. It’s a really interesting potential way to fill a bunch of roster holes and add talent.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, JiF said:

Ben Cleveland - OG - Georgia.  Weighed in at 354 and is going to try and set the record for bench at Georgia's proday.

Could you imagine pairing him next to Becton?

holy sh*t

Did not set the bench press record but went out and ran a 4.85. I kind of figured the giant guys weren’t really ZBS fits and Cleveland still may not be, haven't watched him and don’t know how he is in space, but even if those times are inflated big fella can move a little bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've seen one interview with Slater where he said he would play Guard if that's what his team needed him to do.  Depending on where we traded down to, that might be an interesting path to take.  He looks like a beast and might be the best Guard in the draft with the experience to swing out to Tackle if needed.  

I think he doesn't get out of the top 10-12. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not the #1 guy on our OL board, since we already have a LT. Think Vera-Tucker may be #2 for same reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the way FA has unfolded, I think this thread is going to become more important as I think OL is going. to be a target at 23 (I always felt that way, but I feel even stronger about it now). Let's dissect some tape shall we? Maybe we can even get @RobR when he isn't being a workaholic. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...