Will the Jets now sign a veteran back up QB? If so, who?

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Alex Smith or Nick Mullens (SF)

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

With Alex Smith's history of being productive while "keeping the seat warm"
for the future QB (Kaepernick & Mahomes) he would be ideal.  Also at this
stage of his career we would give him an opportunity to start.  That's 
not coming from any other team

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Most likely scenario. 

For the life of me I can't understand why Mitch Trubitsky signed with the Bills.  I would've been very happy bringing him in on a cheap one year deal and compete with the rookie.  He'd be cheap, has been better than Sam, and would be motivated to rehabilitate his image for one year.  If he didn't win the job that is even better and now you have a pretty talented backup.

• Upvote 2

I think  JD gave one of his least "GM Speak" types of answers about the veteran QB thing when he said he really liked White and Morgan. He did not have to come out strong for Morgan there, not like he has any trade value. Plus they hinted that they did not want a split locker room with Zach and that might happen with a vet especially one that wants to start. I could still see an Alex Smith or a Mullens but I think there is a good chance JD rolls with what we have                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

From Mark Brunell to Josh Mccown - I know we always hear these guys helped out the young guy but Sanchez and Darnold all busted out so...sure, let's sign somebody, I guess.

Problem is they started the rookies day one, so it became a moodt point. Ideally they should be starting this FA at least half the season, I could of lived with McCoy, now McCarron or Mullens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think  JD gave one of his least "GM Speak" types of answers about the veteran QB thing when he said he really liked White and Morgan. He did not have to come out strong for Morgan there, not like he has any trade value. Plus they hinted that they did not want a split locker room with Zach and that might happen with a vet especially one that wants to start. I could still see an Alex Smith or a Mullens but I think there is a good chance JD rolls with what we have                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

What Vet QB did Bledsoe have when he went down in 2001?? A 6th rd pick named Tom Brady came in.. And when Brady went down in 08 a 7th rd QB Matt Cassel came in and the team went 11-5.. Where is it written that you must have a seasoned vet for a backup QB??

10 hours ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

For the life of me I can't understand why Mitch Trubitsky signed with the Bills.  I would've been very happy bringing him in on a cheap one year deal and compete with the rookie.  He'd be cheap, has been better than Sam, and would be motivated to rehabilitate his image for one year.  If he didn't win the job that is even better and now you have a pretty talented backup.

This is so true.

I know, I know.  It's a bad idea.  Nevertheless, hear me out.

One of the available veteran QBs has several years experience starting in the NFL.  He was dismissed by his original team.   Afterwards, the best he could get was a camp invitation to fight for a roster spot at the veteran minimum.

Yet year after year, he not only earned a roster spot, he earned the backup QB job.  Turned away all comers.  He has been active on game day ever since.

This man comes into camp in killer shape and always did.   While he is no all pro and NFL defenses always flummoxed him, he could always uncork the deep pass accurately. 

Never once did he throw his girlfriend down the stairs or get arrested.  Never once did he get suspended for performance enhancing drugs or recreational drugs.  Nor has he been suspended for any other reason to my knowledge.

Despite a notorious incident with his original team, he has been a solid teammate ever since.  Whether you want to admit it or not, he has had a long career.

Yes, I am referring to the flat earther himself.  Geno Smith.

Let's face it, what do we want from our backup?  We want him to spot start and keep the seat warm for Zach Wilson.  This player must remain healthy and provide solid competition for Captain Morgan.

I have heard the arguments in favor of Mullins.  I cannot imagine it to be honest, I think Geno would easily beat him out.  He does not have Geno's talent, durability or starting experience.  I have heard the arguments in favor of Alex Smith but I think he is too fragile to hold down the job with a rookie and a first year QB as the only alternatives.  Durability is a key.   So is experience.  None of the available players have his experience except Alex Smith and he is one hit from going down for the career.  Nor do I believe he will sign for the veteran minimum.  So far in his career, he never has.

I fully expect Geno Smith to be invited to another team camp.  Once there, he will win yet another backup job for a team that thought they would get little or nothing out of him and were amazed at his overall talent level. 

I do not expect him to lead us to the playoffs.  I do not believe anyone can to be honest.  While many of you think he will be a poor mentor to the Mormon missile, I disagree.  Geno was so arrogant early in his career that his personal school of hard knocks is a life lesson in the flesh for any rookie QB.  Further, he is an ardent Christian.  It is not like he is going to take young Wilson to the strip club for woman, bong hits and blow.

Would I prefer a different veteran?  Sure.  But look at what's left.  He is the only one left who is durable, talented and experienced.  I would extend an invite to camp at the minimum.   I bet he takes it and gives Morgan a run for his money.  If Morgan cannot beat out Geno Smith, then we know it is time to find somebody else who can. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, Warfish said:

I can't imagine them going into 2021 with just Wilson and Morgan.

So yes, most likely.  Who?  No idea.  An ex-Shanny-O guy seems most likely.

Morgan is a deadman walking, he just doesn't know it yet.

Bryce Petty, Tajh Boyd, Greg McElroy, Erik Ainge, Brooks Bollinger, Chuck Clements, Glenn Foley, Jeff Blake, Troy Taylor, Bill Ransdell, Dan Sanders.

Welcome to the late round QB bust club!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Morgan is a deadman walking, he just doesn't know it yet.

Bryce Petty, Tajh Boyd, Greg McElroy, Erik Ainge, Brooks Bollinger, Chuck Clements, Glenn Foley, Jeff Blake, Troy Taylor, Bill Ransdell, Dan Sanders.

Welcome to the late round QB bust club!!!!!!!!

The odds would certainly agree with you, aye.